“Great option for an all inclusive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #16 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Great option for an all inclusive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I had an awesome, relaxing weekend for her birthday at Sanctuary. The Jetsetter and TripAdvisor recommendations set our expectations high and they were exceeded once we arrived.

We had a couple hiccups getting in touch with the resort before our trip but everything was worked out. The concierge made sure our stay was amazing and even provided a few additional perks.

Our room was huge, the resort was beautiful, and the beach was really well maintained. They also had a great selection of spirits for an all inclusive (e.g. a number of local rums, Johnnie Black, and Jack Daniels). The food was definitely the biggest area that could be improved but every meal we had was adequate and filling.

We would definitely recommend Sanctuary if you are looking for an all inclusive.

Geek notes:
-Wifi is available in a few common areas on the resort
-Internet is wired in the rooms

Room Tip: If you are considering a room in the fortress: In November we saw about 5 kids on the whole resort
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

1,743 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Let me first say that I usually interpret complaints in reviews as picky people just being too critical. In this case, I wish I would have taken the complaints to heart. The GREAT things about this resort (which my husband and I chose for our 20th Anniversary) are: 1) the location which is safe and has breathtaking views; 2) the grounds, pool, and beach which are beautiful and immaculate; 3) the size which is relatively small and intimate; 4) the food which is fresh and delicious at all the restaurants; 5) the premium drinks; and 6) the large and extremely comfortable rooms. As much as we enjoyed our vacation and time together, two major drawbacks really detracted from our enjoyment: 1) the restaurant staff was not friendly at all (but we did like William, Ernesto, and Lourdes). Part of the problem could have been that we don't speak Spanish, and all employees except maybe one person at the front desk spoke only Spanish. The hosts were more interested in getting our room number for our bill than kindly greeting us at the restaurants. We, and others, had to wait at an uncrowded bar for quite awhile before the bartenders finally decided to serve us. Overall, the restaurant and bar staff were mostly cold and unhappy, despite the fact that we tipped well on every "bill", even when we signed for a sprite and bottle water. Which leads me to number 2) we had to sign a bill for absolutely everything, even though the bill had a zero balance. IT. IS. A. HUGE. PAIN. Not only did we have to wait for the bill (even on a bottle of water), sign the bill, and add the tip (which we wanted to do), but we never felt truly relaxed and carefree at the restaurant dinners. And when we didn't like a dish, we felt it inappropriate and even frowned upon to ask for something different. Perhaps I have a skewed view of all-inclusive, but I thought the purpose was to take away some of the usual stresses of vacationing with bills and prices to allow the patrons to just relax and enjoy. Again, although we had a very nice time, the unfriendly staff and the billing procedures at the resort seemed to overshadow our enjoyment. We loved our excursion to Saona Island, which we booked through Triple Tree at the resort. I would highly recommend that trip. However, with so many excellently rated resorts to choose from in Punta Cana, I would suggest that you pay attention to the reviews and understand the "all-inclusive" policies and procedures at Sanctuary before booking your trip.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us., please rest assured that we have taken a good note of all your remarks.

We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; therefore your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement of the quality of our service.

We hope to hosting you again, and thus having the opportunity to change your perception relative to our services.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Pros:
The resort is beautiful! Very well maintained, amazing views, very friendly and helpful staff. Many restaurants to choose from, great service in the restaurants, several pools, poolside/swim up bar, and friendly wait staff on the beach. We were very happy with our room. It was clean, well maintained, spacious, and quiet. The resort is big but we never felt far from anything. Everything is within a short walk on the beautiful grounds. Overall it was a wonderful vacation.

Cons:
The beach area is very small. It was very pretty but no area to really walk along the beach. We went with the all inclusive package and the food was pretty good, but not fantastic. Some restaurants did have some dishes we really enjoyed, but overall we were not wowed by the food. Most shrimp dishes had large shrimp, but they were not deveined which was kind of disappointing (we ordered shrimp several times and they were never deveined). The seafood buffets were a disappointment and they offered "lobster" but the lobster was not real lobster, it was Langostino lobster. The mixed drinks were extremely weak and the only beer choices were Presidente and Bohemia. The Presidente beer always came from a keg and it was also very watery and weak. I was very disappointed that there weren't more beer choices. The only beer in a bottle was Presidente Light. So, no really good beer choices. One day we walked off the property to the neighboring beach, Juanillo Beach, which was gorgeous, very large, great for walking along the beach, had a beach bar (off the Sanctuary property so not included in the all inclusive package) and they had several beer choices and real mixed drinks! I have never been so happy to see a Corona and a Budweiser! And the Bloody Mary I ordered was so much better than the ones we had at the Sanctuary and it actually had alcohol in it that you could taste! We also ordered food there and it was very good. It was actually tough going back on the Sanctuary property for drinks after our day on Juanillo Beach.

Overall, it was a very nice place and we had a really good time, but there are things that would have to change in order for me to return there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work. Please do not let this to be a motive to give us a second chance and we hope to have the oportunity to welcome you again in the near future. I will ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Six of us just returned from a full week at Sanctuary in Punta Cana. The resort facilities were truly gorgeous, and offered plenty of dining options and activities. The food was good, and sometimes superb. The service was always timely and super-friendly. The pools, spa and beach were wonderful, and the rooms were very spacious and well-designed. If I had to offer any advice, I would suggest that you do NOT book your airport transfers before you arrive. They were incredibly overpriced. There are plenty of taxis at the airport that will be glad to take you to the resort, which is just 10 minutes from the airport. Also, the resort doesn't have an ATM on-premise, so be sure to bring some extra cash to tip the staff. Although the resort is all-inclusive, tipping is allowed and it also goes a long way with the staff and will ensure you get extra special attention. Please note that if you tip using your credit card or by charging it to your room, the staff doesn't ultimately see much of that money, and even if they do, they won't see it until months later. So bring some cash for tips, so you can ensure it goes to the hard-working staff. FYI, we booked out rooms through a special on JetSetter and $aved big-time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Fortress" which initially seemed far away from the action. But with its...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We look forward to your next visit.

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a beautiful resort and great place to stay but the staff and upkeep of the resort don't meet it's beauty.

Cap Cana is a really pretty area and private transfers from Dominican Airport Transfers was only $60 roundtrip and a 15 minute ride from the airport. Nice job!

I let the resort know ahead of time that I have a disability which limits my ability to walk stairs or long distances. I did not want the upgraded villa that they gave me but I had to stay in it the first night anyway after I told them that it was too far for me. I was supposed to be transfered the next moring to my new room which was very nice(great location and very nice bedding and furniture) but it took them 5 hours to do this and they never returned one of my 3 calls that they said they would call me back in two minutes, ten minutes and twenty minutes. They lie to you and really don't care about it. I asked them the first time just to let me know when it would happen so I could plan my day. They ended up wasting my whole second day. If they had just let me know something, I would have been fine. I'm not sure why they have to lie.

This is a large resort for 170 rooms and never appears to be crowded eventhough they said they were at 90% occupancy. The rooms and the pools were very nice, the beach looked pretty but was very rocky for PC and really the worst one that I've been to there. Not too bad but not what I expected. Plenty of chairs on the beach and if the pool chairs were all taken, the pool attendant was quick to come and find you something right away. He was the best worker at the resort. The food was decent with a few choices. My favorite was the Italian. Make sure you order enough if you like large portions as these are not. The wait and bar staff were pretty good throughout the resort as well. Room Service was a very limited menu but the food was good. It usually took about an hour to get it though.

Other than the horrible front desk staff, my other disappointments were that you have to sign for everything that you order, even if it's just one glass of orange juice. I think the resort would be better served if they took all of the people that have the position of just writing up these checks and moved them into other service positions where they are short(housekeeping, room service, etc...). It is very difficult for a person with a disability like myself to get around this resort. They have two elevators between the upper and lower levels of the main building and neither one of them work. You have to call a bellman to pick you up everytime you need to get to a different level. Fortunately, the bell staff was fantastic and were there to pick you up with a smile quickly.

Overall very nice resort. My only thought is if you're going to charge for a top 10 resort in PC as you do, please offer the service that should come with that charge. I would consider returning if they made a few changes.

Room Tip: I eventually got to room 1021 which is only 10' from the sand and 50' from the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Sanctuary Cap Cana, as well for letting us know about your recent experience.

I assure you that your observations were taken with the utmost importance and forwarded to the respective heads of the departments involved in order to take immediate actions.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Milford, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I am going to try and give you as realistic a review as possible and not let my personal opinion affect it too much.

The grounds and location is beautiful. The rooms needed some work. For example, our shower stall didn't drain very well. The floor was not sloped to the drain as it should have been so we were standing in an inch or two of water. Not ideal but not the end of the world. The bathtub didn't have a handle to change from the hand wand to the main spigot and that seems like something that should be fixed immediately since it took forever to fill the tub with the hand wand. Again, annoying but not the end of the world. The room itself was large and decorated enough for my needs. The Nespresso coffee maker was a nice touch but the cups provided were way too small for a normal strength coffee. Also would prefer to have half and half over the powdered creamer but that is a personal preference. There were several days where the towels were taken from our room and then not replaced. In fact one day I had to track down towels so I could take a shower! That is unacceptable and there is no reason for that. Also, housekeeping seemed to be there around 5PM every night which is when most people might want to be getting ready for dinner or relaxing in their room after a day full of sun. It just was annoying to have them there at that time when we were gone from 8 AM to 5 PM only to have to stay out of the way in the evening when we wanted to take a shower and clean up.

The restaurants were okay. Nothing to write home about. Some dishes were good and some were not so good. The flavoring seems to be dialed back, maybe to avoid being too much for some guests. I don't know. I was very disappointed about having to sign a "bill" for every meal and drink given it was an all inclusive arrangement. It is annoying and an unnecessary inconvenience in my opinion. At times I wanted to stop and grab a burger and had to wait around to sign a slip to grab one?! Strange and I think the resort needs to rethink this policy. Same with trying to grab a quick bagel before heading out diving in the morning. Grab a bagel and then wait for someone to figure out what server is supposed to bring me a "bill"?! Crazy. Same with drinks. At one point we utilized poolside service but swam up to the bar for a drink and were told we had to sign slips with the server and the bar. At the least, transfer the tab to one or the other rather than make us sign both. I realize that gratuities are the issue but geesh.....we are there for vacation and I tipped well and didn't need slips to do so. I would have given cash otherwise.

It would have been nice to have more of an orientation to where things were. If there was an aquatics center that had kayaks and hobie cats (as the website indicated they did) we never found them. I was disappointed with the website suggesting things that were not true btw. For example, Juanillo beach which is beautiful, is not part of the resort and to get drinks and towels there you had to pay $ in addition to what you paid for the resort. I don't recall being told that on the website or via other travel sites. They should have reciprocity in my opinion since the beach at the resort is not very good to swim at despite it being beautiful. Same with the casino. There is no casino on site. Instead you have to reserve a spot on a bus to go to one?! Where on the website did it state that? Also, the confusion of whether this is an adults only resort? I was told it was only to find out that there kids there. They weren't much of a bother but they must have had a tough time keeping the kids entertained because there wasn't much there for them to do in my opinion.

Lastly, I don't mind vendors being on site but I don't think they should be in a prominent location where every time you want to go to the pool or need to use the restroom they are hounding you to look at their wares. I got the impression that the resort took fees from these vendors to allow them to be there and then didn't care whether they were disruptive or not.

The resort was relaxing and beautiful and all in all we had a good time but I think they need to make some changes to earn the status they claim on the travel sites. I personally found the service to be good but I tip well so perhaps the servers were giving me special attention? Don't really know. My thanks to Junior and Winston (bars/poolside service)! You guys were great.

All in all, would I go back. Maybe.....I just find other all inclusive resorts I've been to made the dining much less of a process and catered to the whim of wanting a snack rather than full meals and that is the way I like it other than dinner.

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I came to Sanctuary Cap Cana for our Honeymoon and stayed with them for a week (11/7-11/14). We were looking for a nice relaxing getaway with good food and great beach/pool settings. Sanctuary definitely delivered on the relaxing part of our desires as we found it to be an extremely peaceful, quiet resort but it underwhelmed in some other areas...

Room - Our room was beautiful. We had booked the Honeymoon Suite but, upon arrival, we were upgraded to the Imperial Suite in the fortress. It was a large suite with an enormous sun deck and private outdoor pool with breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. We were completely satisfied with the room. We had some trouble figuring out how to get the A/C to work but that was out fault, not theirs. Our mini bar was full of water, soda and beer but we were disappointed to find we couldn't get Wine in our Mini-bar without paying extra. Our room was cleaned nicely each day and I honestly don't have any complaints about our room-related services. Our only complaint about the room would be the fine details. The wood floors were poorly maintained and the bed was not the most comfortable I've slept on but, overall, it was satisfactory. We would've also like there to have been screen doors on the sliding glass doors we had in our room so we could better enjoy the amazing ocean breezes. We did see a GIGANTIC cockroach in the room on our second-last-night and that put a damper on things as it caused my wife to freak out but, we understand that to have only seen 1 insect in a tropical location is probably not a big deal. Any complaints I make about the room should be considered nitpicking.

Food - This is where we start to have some issues with Sanctuary. Everywhere I read, the food at this resort was highly rated and even Frommer's rated it some of the best food in the Caribbean. If that's the case, I would hate to see what the rest of the region has to offer. We had no issue with the amount of restaurants open each night, there were always plenty to choose form and anyone who complains about that is probably just overly negative. The Pros - as far as restaurants were concerned, Wok was probably the best. We were satisfied with everything we ate their, no issues with Wok. Cappriccio - the Italian restaurant was OK but, then again, we kept it basic with Salads and Pizza. Nothing to write home about for sure. Blue Marlin - This place is woefully overrated. My tuna was severely overcooked, they brought us the wrong meal twice and the service was dreadfully slow. I don't know why this place seemingly has such great reviews, I would rate it a 1 out of 5. Steakhouse - Again, terrible service, terrible food. My steak was Well Done even though I ordered it Medium Rare and, other than the salad my wife had, we thought the bread was the only decent part of the meal. Casa Bella - They had a special dinner there the first night we arrived and it was very good, no complaints. Room Service - Not terrible for room service but lots of disappointment nonetheless. Breakfast was pretty solid each day by room service standards but we had a few lunches and late night snacks that were really bad. I ordered a club sandwich and they forgot the Turkey and the Bacon.

The BEST meals we had, by FAR, were the times we ate at the lunch buffet at Casa Bella. This was a breath of fresh air. Really good burgers form the grill, Salad bar with all kinds of fixings and a lot of different chafing dish options each day. Was a nice meal each time.

Bars/Alcohol - We knew coming into the trip that this was not the resort for amazing parties and night-life so we were not surprised to see that the bars were pretty docile. The Love bar was nice and we had a lot of fun during Karaoke night. The Ocean Club bar near the fortress was also really nice. I will say that the beer selection was one of the biggest disappointments of the trip. No one had anything but Presidente and Presidente Light and both of those beers are essentially Shark Piss. I was able to finagle 2 Budweiser's from the Love Bar manager our 2nd night there and, compared to Presidente, it tasted like liquid gold. Wine was not great but, nothing unexpected when it comes to house wine.

Pools - The pools were all great. the main pool was drained one morning though and no one seemed to have an explanation. The vendors that are at the pool area on some days are really annoying, especially "Bottom Line Bob." He was a real piece of work. The only other complain about the pool was that it was difficult to find a spot with an umbrella some days but had no issue finding lounge chairs. Also, the service around the pool and at the pool bar was great. I see some people on here complaining about the service but we had no issues. If you are good to people, they will be good right back. I have a feeling those complaining about the service at the pool are probably the type that are never satisfied. The infinity pool up by the main building is great but they should have some more lounge chairs around it.

Beach - The resort beach was VERY underwhelming. We actually only went to the Resort beach our first day and that was enough. It's very small and devoid of plush sand. Not a great experience. That said, just past the fortress is an AMAZING public beach. We spent a lot of time here, probably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Amazing soft, white sand. Beautiful water and you can just keep walking and find yourselves a nice private spot if you like. The service area at the public beach was great as they had a large selection of beers and drinks and the Food was EXCELLENT. Of course, you have to pay for everything a la carte at the public beach but it was well worth it. I would recommend that EVERYONE plan on spending at least a day or two at Juanillo Beach because its a 30 second walk from the resort and it is breathtaking.

Service - Overall the service at the hotel was great. Everyone was very nice, responsive and helpful. I made a point of tipping very well our first few days there and that probably made a difference but, either way, I don't have any complaints about the employees or the service there. Again, if you are kind and respectful of the employees there, they will take very good care of you. Just don't be a rude jerk to them and you'll be fine.

Excursions/Off-site - We did the buggy tour and it was fun. It lasted about 3 hours and we had a blast. The vehicles were a little sketchy but no issues. I would recommend doing the buggy tour over the Blue Lagoon, or, Hoyo Azul. It is actually one of the stops on the tour and, while it is cool, I couldn't imagine spending more than 10 minutes there. Definitely better to see it as part of the buggy tour. We also took a trip to the Cap Cana Marina one day which was interesting. This place is beautiful but it is an absolute GHOST TOWN. They must've run out of funding or something because it strikes you as incomplete. It's a shame because it has a lot of potential but the place is just desolate. It's a HUGE marina but there was maybe 5 other people there. There was a nice little market there with Beer, wine, liquor and some Italian meats and breads which was cool.

Overall we had a good time but everything wasn't as advertised. I would recommend it for a nice relaxing vacation but don't expect too much form the food or the resort beach because you will be sorely disappointed.

In summary: Great Rooms, Great Service, Great Pools, terrible Beer, Sub-par food and devoid of activities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We are sorry to read we were not able to exceed your expectations due several aspects, we have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments as a way to prevent this type of situation in the future

Please accept our most sincere apology for the inconveniences and we can assure you that your notes have been helpful for us.

I would like to ask you for another opportunity to be able to recover your confidence to our brand and show you the real Sanctuary experience, we will be pleased to host you again and guarantee your complete satisfaction the next time.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!