“Great place for couples!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Great place for couples!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Just got back today and wanted to make sure I wrote something about this great resort. I was there with my wife celebrating our 22nd anniversary and we had a great time. Great looking facility and the service is outstanding. Definitely not for people that are looking for night life and not for teenagers. Hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2013
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your 22nd anniversary with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments.

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities.

We will be waiting for you to experience another great stay at our Sanctuary.

1,899 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Czech first
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is our second stay at the Sanctuary. We first came some weeks after its opening a few years ago; the management changed 2 or 3 times since then, and it seems it finally attracts customers now (we were 6 clients on our first trip !!!).
The hotel itself is somptuous, beautifully designed and decored. The architects did an admirable work, and the construction was well executed (which is very rare in this country !). The gardens, beaches and landscaping are perfect too.
We booked 2 adjoining suites (we came with our 3 girls) : nothing to say or complain about it, it was perfect. The breakfast was very good, with excellent service. The bar in the lobby was good, even if the staff still needs some training. Perfect japanese restaurant.
Kind and helpful staff in general.
HUGE DRAWBACK : this quiet and high luxury hotel, where it seems that people come to relax and rest quietly, has very cheap entertainment at the main pool (there are 3 but close to each other !), with very bad music (quality wise - the sound comes from a small ipod connected by a cable to 2 cheap speakers) and REALLY TOO LOUD. It is unbelievable that no manager realized that most clients there were bothered by this low end animation, disturbing noise and cheap animator; even my girls (13, 11 and 5) were annoyed by this romp, laughing at this out of place joke. We decided to take place at the second pool for more quiet rest, but we could not even read or relax quietly in that pool either, the sound was SO STRONG AND DISTURBING that we came back to our rooms !
This is not an hotel for entertainment, and not for all kids neither. the management has to understand that the atmosphere of this hotel has to be in line with the luxury of the settings; anyway it is too small for loud disturbances, since even on the beach you could not find a quiet place because it is too small.
Very good cocktails and excellent and friendly service at the pool bar.
The Marlin restaurant was good at lunch, but the service was erratic and it seemed to us (we ate there twice) that there were no manager there, or a very bad one ! It's a shame because it is beautiful, with good food and exceptional views. This point has to be adressed too.
Apart of this, everything was very good.
I strongly recommend the Sanctuary Cap Cana (maybe not to families or big parties) for a quiet or romantic holiday. Of course if they get rid of this cheap animation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, your room, the food and the service. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

Also, I would like to thank you for your recommendation concerning the music and the entertainment at the main pool, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this way we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, we have sent your comments to the our entertainment manager in order to take them under consideration and improve.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I traveled to DR for the first time with 5 co-workers and my boss. The total trip was amazing. Getting through the airport was so simple a d quick, getting to the resort was quick allowing us almost a full day to enjoy everything. The staff was so helpful and attentive and inviting, honestly I quite say enough. Cesearn, bellman, was very informative. Bernardo at the pool was awesome, Junior our waiter was quick with our orders and everything was always correct. Amazing rooms, the cleanliness at the whole resort was very nice. The beds were so comfortable that it was hard to leave them. Hope to be back soon! I feel like of we do return the staff will remember us! This is not a family with children resort, there are daily activities, geared more towards couples. Lots of weddings, anniversary couples, honeymooners. The disco every night was fun, food was good. We felt very safe and secure as there were 2 security check points to get on the resort grounds. The casino was closed.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.

Deatsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I would like to thank the management for the room upgrade. My wife and I used the privacy of the Imperial Suite to relax and reflect on our 39 years together. The Sanctuary facility overall was not what we expected. The service you received from the staff seemed to be based on your tipping. My thoughts are that your service dictates your tip. We did find a staff member who was well deserving of tips, Steferino at the Blue Marline. I suggest he be used to train other staff as to how to make visitors feel welcome to Sanctuary. The staff at the Ocean Lounge was very deserving as well. The Ocean Lounge staff kept our mini-bar stocked because the individual responsible for our room came by one day out of the 5 days we were there. This was our 3rd vacation to the Dominican Republic and it ranks the lowest on service and facilities compared to our other All-Inclusive resorts. I would not recommend Sanctuary to my friends as an All-Inclusive choice in the Dominican Republic.

Room Tip: If you are looking for service do not pick Sanctuary. If location is you main choice, Sanctuary wil...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

I would like to ask you for another opportunity to be able to recover your confidence to our brand and show you the real Sanctuary experience, we will be pleased to host you again and guarantee your complete satisfaction the next time.

Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is our first ever review on Tripadvisor. We had such an incredible time at the Sanctuary, it was such a great resort! We enjoy nice things, but are not overly picky.
My wife and I stayed from July 30/13 until Aug 8/13, so 9 nights. We were upgraded from our original booking of a junior suite ocean view to a Castle junior suite ocean front, and couldn't have been happier! Our room was so nice and had an amazing view! I'm confident any room at this resort is great, but the Castle portion really is amazing, so if you book into that section, or get upgraded to that part, you won't be disappointed! We also received some extra's, such as a bottle of champagne (it was our 5th wedding anniversary), a fruit platter and a dinner on the beach!!
The best part about this resort is the staff and service. We were treated so well the whole time. We had a couple of staff members who became friends. Junior around the pool/ocean was awesome, he was always dancing and singing and helped us with our Spanish! Bernardo, who is a bartender at the pool bar, was funny and always remembered what we were having to drink! Valentina, who is a server at the various restaurants was helping us learn Spanish as well, and was so nice! Oscar, who a grounds keeper around the pool/beach was incredible! He could see us coming down the path and would grab us a couple of towels or if there were none he would go get us clean ones and find us in our chairs to give them to us! We never once received bad service from anyone at this resort! If you take the time to try and learn just a little bit of Spanish, or show that you are interested in speaking their language, it will go a long way! Be respectful of the fact that you are vacationing in their country!
The food was great as well! We read the reviews where some people had questioned it, but we had great meals all the time! The Wok restaurant was our favourite! We also did the "Hibachi" show at the Wok with "Jackie Chan" and he was great! All restaurants were great! There is no buffet at dinner time, but there is no reservations (except for the hibachi show at the Wok) so there's no pressure to be ready to go for dinner at certain time and no lining up in the morning to book a reservation like other resorts! They do have a system in place if you are all inclusive, you have to sign your bill after everything, but its not a big deal. Your bill will say $0 and you either leave a tip on paper or with cash. Its a bit different than other resorts but we had no problems.
Lastly, there is a huge public beach right next to the Wok restaurant. My wife and I walked up and down it every day, and its a great walk. Its very quite with almost no one ever there. Its definitely better than the beach at the resort.
All in all, we had such a great time. Thanks again to the wonderful staff, and the Sanctuary for all the extras we received, it was very much appreciated!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. As you mentioned, our team work is our most valuable value, our staff is always ready to go the extra mile, in order to provide an excellent service and to transform your vacations into memorable moments. I know that my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

plain city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I took my two teen daughters here at the end of July. I hope this helps others who are considering this for their family vacation. This is not the place for you. While the property is beautiful and the staff accommodating, my two girls were bored to death. Sanctuary caters to lovers, not families. We only saw two other teens the whole time we were there. And be wary of lovers "swimming" in the ocean. Not exactly a sight for kids but with the majority of people here on their honeymoon or other special occasion, it's to be expected. Loads or PDA here. There wasn't much for us to do besides eat, sit by the pool and swim. There were even a few incidents where we felt excluded. Most everything is geared for couples. The tables in all the restaurants were set for two. The swim-up bar was excruciatingly slow and when they did notice us, it was only after all the couples were attended to first. I even had another guest intervene once and request that we were served. It became a running joke between the girls and I in how long we would sit before anyone would notice us. We went off the property a few times on excursions to alleviate boredom, once to the Marinarium to snorkel with sharks and rays, and another time to go to the Hoya Azul. These places were the highlights of our trip and I would recommend both. Otherwise, I may have had a teen mutiny on my hands. I wish we had gone on more excursions but they weren't exactly cheap. Be prepared to pay approximately $100-150 extra per person per excursion. Tip for the Hoya Azul: take a $4 taxi there then pay $10 per person to get in. As for the hotel, it was beautiful and peaceful. We took advantage of the kayaks but you have to search them out because they're not readily apparent or even on the hotel property, but close by. The volleyball net is set up but in 8 days, I never saw anyone play. There is a miniscule kiddy pool for toddlers but it's not very inviting and appears to be an afterthought. The food is NOT kid friendly and I want to add that the desserts were terrible. How can you claim to be a 5 star resort and not have decadent desserts? I spoke to others there who joked about the quality of the food. I'm a foodie so maybe I should have lowered my expectations....a lot! As for the room, we stayed in 3012 and had a few minor issues. The view was blocked (no biggie), the bathroom door didn't close and had to be fixed twice, the plumbing leaked into the closet and flooded it twice. They didn't offer to move us but they did repair things as they occurred. The maid service was slow, despite tips. The towels were tattered and in bad shape. No washcloths except for two days, even when I called the front desk and requested them. Last but not least, a shout out to Cesare, the bellboy. He treated us as equal to all the couples and couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences.

Concerning the activities for children, it's a shame that you did not enjoy our kids club area, where I am sure that your daughters may had found the entertaining activities according to their ages.

On another hand, your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

General Manage
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Sanctuary was more wonderful than I could have imagined. I was feeling sick when we arrived, we got sick from the food at another resort. I could see how beautiful and pristine the grounds were but I couldn't really react immediately because I felt so awful. It felt like a dream. My husband and I explored the next day when we both felt better. Sanctuary is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever seen, and does not feel like the typical cookie cutter all inclusive. In fact, it feels like an exclusive paradise. I would recommend this resort to couples only, its very romantic. The food was also delicious. We will be back to visit soon for sure.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!