“Sanctuary paradise! TEDDY BEAR is the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Sanctuary paradise! TEDDY BEAR is the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I went to Sanctuary for his birthday in June of 2013, we spend our short week in this beautiful resort. The beach inside of resort is not that big, but there is a HUGE public beach just behind the castle~ beautiful white sand.
Food and drinks was amazing~ they are not cheap on their alcohol, one cocktail can knock me down~ When I ask for water, the staffs would make fun of me and told me that water is only for fish:)
We love seafood, so we spent most of our nights at blue Marlin, we tried almost everything on the menu, 5 STARS for the food. We had the same server name" SEFERINO" served us 4 nights in row. He is very funny and friendly.

OUR most favourite thing is the activities in the resort. Everyday have different games at the beach, my husband won a bottle of rum from the game~
TEDDY BEAR is the entertainment manager, he is such a sweet guy~ on our last day stay in resort, we told him that we will miss the volleyball game since usually it played in the afternoon but we are leaving by noon; he arranged one game in the morning for us! That was really thoughtful! I heard he speaks 7 languages, wow~ Teddy is the best!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. As you mentioned, our team work is our most valuable value, our staff is always ready to go the extra mile, in order to provide an excellent service and to transform your vacations into memorable moments.

I know that my colleagues, especially Teddy Bear and Serefino will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Ignacio Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Czech first
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and spent a week at the Sanctuary in June 2013. It was for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful week in paradise. The hotel staff is excellent, and they really go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.

My wife is vegetarian, so I emailed the resort a few weeks in advance to see what kind of vegetarian options would be available for her. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, Enrique (hotel manager, I think) greeted us in the lobby and told us that the chefs would be more than able to accommodate our needs. The choice of restaurants is really nice; the only problem is that there is a rotating schedule each night for which restaurants are open. I loved the Steakhouse; unfortunately for me it was only open twice (I think)! Food options were way better than what I had expected. I am not a "foody" and so my standards may not be as high as other, more-seasoned travelers, but I was very happy. We enjoyed eating at the Wok and at Capriccio (my wife really enjoyed the pizza there). One of our final nights there was "Dominican Night" at the Blue Marlin, which was very tasty. The morning breakfast buffet was always excellent. I do wish that they had more varieties of fresh fruit (we only got to eat mango once all week). Try out the smoothies! You give them whichever fruits you want and they create a really nice, refreshing morning smoothie. They play a lot of "Bossonova" music at breakfast... think of Pink Floyd, Zepplin or the Rolling Stones sung by a jazz singer in a swanky 50's era nightclub. We loved the music so much that we actually asked the DJ (Melvin) about it, and he transferred almost 150 songs to our iPad!

The hotel grounds are simply stunning. Our hotel room was over in the castle side, room 1034. We loved our room. I had notified the hotel in advance that it was our anniversary trip; when we arrived, they had upgraded us to that room. It was a ground level suite, very spacious and gorgeous. There was a large patio/deck for us to read and chill out on. The deck overlooked a small creek that would fill up with water as the ocean tide rose, and there was a wooden bridge over this creek that connected our room to a large grassy area with beach chairs and large 4 post bed-looking things that seemed perfect for meditation. We loved exploring the whole hotel. Lots of beautiful views to be had.

The pools are gorgeous. There are no fewer than 4 pools on the grounds (I may have missed one or two); most people either use the swim out bar pool next to the Blue Marlin restaurant or the pool on top of the castle. Drink service was everywhere, and was great. One criticism I have about the main pool area is that on two of the days that we were there, the resort had allowed some street vendors to come in and sell their jewelry/art/cigar/Mamajuana (alcoholic beverage, not "mary jane"). This was quite a nuisance, because I really did not appreciate being hassled by the vendors while trying to relax. Quite honestly, those guys should not be allowed on the property because they are super annoying.

I wouldn't call the Sanctuary an adults-only resort, because there were kids there, but there isn't too much for children to do there, except swim. There is a little daycare/camp area on the resort property which looked like fun, but as we were there without kids, I don't know any details.

The hotel also has a nice gym with a few treadmills, elliptical and weight machines. I loaded up my iPad with a few workout videos that I have and had plenty of space for that. The spa is also great for relaxation, although the men's bathroom could have been a little bit cleaner. There was a funny smell coming from the toilet/urinal area.

Overall, this was the most amazing resort that my wife and I have ever stayed in. The people are very kind and very sweet and go out of their way to help you. The room rate we paid ($332 total per night for all-inclusive) was a great value and well worth it. We will certainly return to the Sanctuary whenever we can. I have already been telling anyone and everyone who will listen that they should go visit the resort for an amazing stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Sanctuary for our honeymoon in August of 2012. It was amazing from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. I even cried a little because I didn't want to leave. We were there for 9 nights and stayed in the Monarch Villa on the beach. It was wonderful, even though there was a roach walking around a couple times. The staff was friendly and took care of the situation immediately. We didn't see any more after that! It's normal to find such things because after all, you're in a tropical environment. I'm a freak about bugs too! I was still comfortable and very much happy with everything. We stayed in one of the junior suites one night for safety because of a "storm" coming through. It was hurricane season, but the storm wasn't long and everything was fine. My husband and I were even impressed with the cheaper room we stayed in for that one night. We agreed that next time we go, we will book one of the cheaper rooms because there wasn't a bad room in the entire resort. They were ALL beautiful! Even though the Fortress/swim up suites part of the resort is closed during the off season, we still got a little tour of the massive property. I'd LOVE to see it when it's ALL up and running. If you ask, they're willing to give you a tour. You HAVE to see the suite with it's private island. Looks like something P. Diddy would stay in...amaaaazing.
The pool bar was my favorite place to be. Everyone that works there is WONDERFUL. You fall in love with them immediately and never want to leave. They never tell you "no". They always say, "let me see what I can do" if there's a question or favor you have. That's GREAT customer service. Speaking of service, the food and premium drinks were great too. We only had 2 restaurant choices most of the time because it was off season. We still enjoyed it and loved the food. We are a little picky about quality and this place blew us away. Even the room service was incredible. We loved ALL the food and the employees who worked there.
Just a note to remember, the casino, sushi place and spa were closed. I'm not sure if it was because of the off season or because it was being renovated. They created a make shift spa in one of the suites when we were there. We still had a wonderful couples massage. If those things are important to you, you may want to ask the resort what they will have open before you book. The property has a small beach area but you can easily walk to either side of the resort and you end up on miles of BEAUTIFUL beaches. I want to go back as I'm writing this. Such great memories that we will never forget. You won't regret staying here. Everything was perfect and better than I had imagined :) I almost forgot, the airport is only 10-15 minutes away from the resort. It was SUPER convenient and you couldn't even hear airplanes. You still felt far away from it all!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous, clean and spacious. Not a bad room in the ENTIRE resort!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for extending us your kind compliments about our property.

It is a pleasure to know all your expectations were exceeded. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Food was about what I would expect from an all inclusive resort, some of the dishes were good while others were not so good. Drinks were great and the services was great. Sometimes it is hard to communicate because much of the staff does not speak English, but remember you are not in the U.S., If the communication barrier would bother you you might want to think about another destination. The hotel is very nice and clean, one day the cleaning crew didnt come so I called down to the office and they had someone up there right away to clean it. Sefino and Dallis are awesome. Every time we saw one of them they would always come over and say hello and ask us if we needed anything. The staff as a whole were great but Sefi and Dallis were our favorites. I would recommend Sanctuary Cap Cana to any that wants to get away to a gorgeous resort to relax.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Sanctuary with our futures guests.

We are glad to read that the service provided for Sefi and Dallis was excellent, thank you for mention them, they will be more than happy to know that they let a good impression on you.

All our guests’ notes are very important for us, because we can learn about your stay with us in order to improve our service; the detail that you mentioned already has been pass to the department involved to work on it.

Once again, thank you very much, if you decide to return to Cap Cana, will be an honor to host you in Sanctuary Cap Cana.

NEW YORK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Cap Cana was absolutely gorgeous. Everything was ALMOST perfect. The only thing I did not enjoy was the food. The service was very good, but the food was NOT good. Some of the restaurants were closed, and the choices are limited. Very small portions of food that isn't good. Unfortunately, my husband got VERY sick from one of their dishes. He was so sick that he had to be taken to the local ER for an IV. Doctor on site was helpful, but who wants to go to the ER when they are on vacation?
Their name says it all, Sanctuary. It is serene and there are is no loud music or noisy games. This hotel isn't a party hotel. Total relaxation.
Please, improve on the quality of your food!!!!!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know that my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

On behalf of our associates and myself, I would like to express to you our concern about your husband health status. Notwithstanding, I guarantee you that we work with established hygiene and sanitation standards, which are being monitored continuously; you have to take into consideration that, as you may know, certain risks are involved when travelling to the tropics, as there are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate changed, environments variations, travelling stress, combination of new foods and beverages, allergy to some native products, etc.

I would like to thank you for your recommendation concerning the food, our guest’s opinion are very important to us, we have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve at the mentioned points.

Columbus, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Pros:
-Short ride (15 min) from airport to resort; shuttle bypassed all other resorts
-Awesome pool bar. Bernardo, Winston, Leo were all super-attentive and always in a great mood (but who wouldn't be- serving drinks on a tropical island and always being around happy vacationers)
-Delicious breakfast buffet, including made-to-order tropical fruit smoothies and eggs, plus a wide variety of pastries, dishes, and beverages (i.e. Mimosa and Bloody Mary stations)
-large room despite us choosing the smallest size
-Small, peaceful beach
-24/7 roomservice that is pretty tasty
-Awesome atmosphere/food at the Blue Marlin (warm shrimp salad was our favorite)
-WiFi in the lobby, by the pool bar, and at the Casa Bella restaurant
-Villas look amazing; everyone we talked to that had a swim-out pool loved their room.
-Good selection of different restaurants (seafood, steak, Asian, Italian, American)
-Newsletter that tells you the daily schedule of activities (great job by Teddy Bear to get people to participate)
-Not a spring break type of party resort. This made it easy to relax and enjoy ourselves (although there is plenty of alcohol to be drank in case you want to go down that road)
-Bartenders stock some decent brand-name alcohol (and some local rum) and get as creative or not creative as you prefer.

Cons:
-Beach cabanas are reserved by die-hards way early in the morning, leaving only lounge chairs available.
-No WiFi in the rooms
-Only 2 bottles of water per mini fridge and it is difficult to find extra (we left the maid a note along with a tip); the tap water is not potable
-Air Conditioning is not very responsive- basically it's either on or it's off.
-Loud music at the pool (if you are there to nap/relax there are 4 other pools to use).
-Room is slightly aged, only by comparing to the Castle rooms. Had we not looked at the Castle rooms online and in person, we wouldn't have known the difference.
-The massage prices are expensive (close to $3/minute). We wanted to get one, but when you are use to paying less than $1/min in Texas it was difficult to drop $180 on a 50-minute massage. Don't book in the morning- wait until the afternoon when they offer 2-for-1 specials!

Overall, we give it an 8.5 out of 10. All-inclusive at this resort is definitely the way to go!

Room Tip: -Bring bug spray for mosquitoes -If you want a beach cabana, get out to the beach early (i.e. 5 am...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, your room, the food and the service. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

Also, I would like to tank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this way we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes,your notes have been sent to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Keizer, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We made this trip to combine the celebration of my retirement and to visit my daughter in Cap Cana. We were completely enchanted with the architectural savvy, the overall appearance and planning of the resort. We have never stayed at a luxury all-inclusive before. We may never be able to do it again. This made our choice of Sanctuary Cap Cana seem all the more fortunate. The food was always good, sometimes very good. It is quiet in the evenings, which we loved and others might not. The staff was universally pleasant, from top to bottom. Their attempts to liven up the crowd with loud techno music at the big pool seemed a little strained to us, but maybe some enjoyed it. The Blue Marlin restaurant may be one of the best places to sit in our experience so far - the turquoise sea and moderating breeze. This was a stay that we'll always feel good about.

Room Tip: We didn't see a room that we thought would be bad. The beachfront rooms may be noisier and les...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff.

Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!