“Fun week with friends!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
“Fun week with friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just got back from a week at Sanctuary where we had a wonderful time. We went with two other couples and we had a fabulous experience and a much needed vacation. That's not to say there weren't a few hiccups along the way. We all had reserved Honeymoon Suites with pools and 2 out of 3 of us checked in without a problem. The 3rd couple was told that a Honeymoon Suite wasn't available until the next night! Metz did a great job taking care of the problem and the 3rd couple was very happy with their new suite!

Overall the food was very good. I would recommend the Steakhouse as the best of the different restaurants. We were able to get a medium rare steak per our order contrary to some of the reviews that we read before we got there. We had breakfast every day at Casa Bella and we were graciously served by Lourdes and several friendly waiters and waitresses. Carlos took great care of us at the Ocean Bar. Our suite was located in the Fortress which was a lot quieter than the main pool. I played beach volleyball several times while we were there. Teddy Bear and Rocky took us on every day and really made it a fun time.

The grounds were kept in immaculate shape and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We look forward to coming back again in the future.

Room Tip: We were in room 3046 (Honeymoon Suite) and it was terrific.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

1,891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friends and I went for a birthday getaway and had an AWESOME time. The hotel was very beautiful looks like the pictures online. The staff was very accommodating and very friendly, we loved...MENOR, KELIA, TEDDY BEAR and BERNARDO they made our time there very enjoyable. Would I go again...ABSOLUTLY!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

I will share your feedback with the entire team and especially with MENOR, KELIA, TEDDY BEAR and BERNARDO. They love knowing when guest appreciates there service.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

The Woodlands, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hi Folks,

First, I want to say I will keep this very factual. This is exactly what happened.

My wife and I chose to got to Sanctuary Cap Cana for our 20th wedding anniversary. Our primary goal was to go a nice beach resort that was not Mexico (too dangerous) and we selected the Sanctuary Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic(near Punta Cana) specifically for the Honeymoon Suite with Pool. The in-suite pool and privacy was a huge draw as was the adults only section of the resort called "The Castle". We just wanted to get away from everything.

After a long trip that took us from Houston to Miami to Punta Cana, we finally made it to the front desk of the Sanctuary Cap Cana to check-in. At this point we were informed that the resort did not have any Honeymoon Suites with Pool (suites) left and we were being "upgraded" to the Monarch Suite. I pushed back stating we had a prepaid reservation specifically for the Honeymoon Suite with Pool but the guy at the front desk (and manager) said that someone had opted to extend their stay and that we would have to take what we got. Not sure why this was my problem. I had done some research and I told the guy the Monarch suite was not an upgrade but a downgrade specifically citing that it was in the older section of the resort, it had no pool, and was a smaller unit (1300 sq-ft vs. 1000 sq-ft). He pushed back saying this was not true and that he would move us to the suite we actually paid for on Monday afternoon. This meant we would spend half our vacation in the older and smaller unit. Needless to say, I had no choice and was not happy about it, but what could we do? We were in a foreign country and had traveled for half a day to get here. We took the Monarch suite.

As indicated, the Monarch suite (unit 1010) was on the older side of the resort. It was very out dated and had no private pool. Also, it was supposed to be ocean front but we were approximately 50 yards from the water. The unit actually faced the pool which as about 100 yards away (ocean was to the right and somewhat blocked by bushes). The unit was everything we tried to avoid: we got the noise from the drinking spring break crowd at the pool, there were kids running around everywhere, and we weren't really near any water. Don't get me wrong, I love kids but this particular trip was about not being with kids which is why we didn't bring our own and wanted an "Adult Only" resort. What we got was a very spring break scene...

On Monday afternoon we were moved to the suite we originally paid for (Honeymoon Suite with Pool). This room was spectacular with its own private pool, expansive views of the ocean, and no kids running around screaming. The unit was updated and clean and it had a great sun deck. This was the 4.5 star portion of the hotel and what we were expecting. Unfortunately we only got 3 days of this instead of 6. I would classify the older section as a 3 star resort.

One final note, we spoke to two other couples who said what happened to us is EXACTLY what they experienced. They were pushed out of the unit they reserved and to the older (and lesser) area of the resort. Out of 3 couples the resort did 100% bait and switch of the Honeymoon Suite with Pool. This WAS NOT an isolated incident.

So what were the good things about the resort? The food was outstanding. We enjoyed all of the restaurants but especially the Italian and Steakhouse as well as the bar in "The Castle - new" side of the resort. Also, the people are very friendly, warm and welcoming. The nearby golf course Punta Espada was spectacular but pricey. They charged for every little thing including I asked to take a golf cart onto the course to take some pictures with my wife (after having played there) and they charged me $25 for the cart.

Besides the bait/switch routine we received, I would say the beaches are not very good. Simply too much seaweed washed ashore and somewhat rocky in places. But not too bad. The in-suite pool more than made up for this.

In general, I would say it worked okay but we were disappointed about the treatment we received from the resort. Sanctuary Cap Cana should honor its commitments to its guests and not overbook the best rooms and then switch them out for the not-so-good rooms. I don't believe their story about someone extending their stay (and it shouldn't matter). They are simply overbooking and switching out.

My advice to you is: make sure you get the room you pay for BEFORE you pay or leave on the trip. This was a very sneaky move on the Sanctuary Cap Cana and clearly dishonest. If you can get the new side of the resort (The Castle) then do so. Don't bother with the old side. Go somewhere else.

Dominican Republic has much potential. Again, the people are great, the food is good, and we really enjoyed the country. As someone who used to go to Mexico every year, it was a nice replacement.

Good luck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that thus may have caused, know that your feedback is very important for us. It must to be note that day after day we put a lot of effort and dedication in providing our guests the best quality service as they well deserve.

As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, it should be note that the overbooking is not a common policy in our hotel, I would like to assure you that the occurred is not in anyway representative of our overall service; we ask your understanding for these situations that occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours.

I personally assure you that we are committed to achieving our complete customer satisfaction; it is for this reason that we offered several options to improve your feelings.

On another hand, I assure you that the necessary measures have been already taken to avoid this type of situations in the future.

Once again I extend you my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I went to Sanctuary for our yearly vacation and found it to be a nice relaxing place. The grounds are beautiful and well kept!

Service:

Great service at the front desk, restaurants, and bars. The workers are very friendly and accommodating. We did not have difficulty communicating with them, some spoke more English than others, but was not a problem.

Food:
We found the food to be good overall. The breakfast and the lunch buffet was great with a lot of choices. The only restaurant that was a little disappointing was the Wok- Asian Fusion theme. It was not true hibachi, but that was understandable since the chef was Dominican doing his best in cooking hibachi. He did put on a decent show which was nice. Many people complained about The Steakhouse and how they prepared the steak- too overdone was the biggest complaint, but we did not try it.

Room:
We had a junior sweet ocean view room 3003. We were a bit disappointed in the bathroom, the first day we got there the toilet seat was broken and was wrong size for the toilet so it kept slipping to the side. It also kept running after it was flushed. I called to have it fixed but no one came, I called again the next day and someone came within a half hour. He put a screw to hold toilet seat down, so that helped but still it was the wrong size seat and was still running. There was also a rinse next to the toilet which we though was so old school. It took up a lot of space in the bathroom where the toilet was pushed in the corner. My 6 ft 5 husband could hardly use the toilet and had to sit on the side because there was no space. The water in the shower would not go down fast and would form a pool of water while in the shower. We did not really enjoy using the bathroom at all, it was not comfortable and did not seem as clean, bright, and refreshing and we would have liked, so we resulted to using the outside shower by the pool which was very nice and felt cleaner to be honest. We would bring our shower gel and take a quick shower out there with our swim suits on. We made fun of it and laughed about it. That's how much we did not feel comfortable using the bathroom in the room. The A/C was very noisy but kept the room cool. The size of the room was good and the view was nice. The bed was comfortable and we slept pretty well.

Room Maid Service:

They would clean our room very late almost 5 p.m. which was strange to us. We would come back from the pool wanting to nap and they room would not be cleaned and when they did show up we felt like we had to skip nap and vacate the room to be cleaned ( they never asked us to leave, but you feel obligated to and we wanted a clean room). They did not leave us wash cloths for over three days. How could she not notice we did not have washcloths was beyond us. The room service seemed rushed as if they were short staffed. The room would get dusty very easily, we were not sure if it was the comforter or something else because when we work up all the furniture would be filled with dust, I mean covered. The room was not bright and airy, especially the bathroom which makes it seem unclean. The lighting was deem and depressing, even when the windows are open the room still seemed dark and depressing. Not what we expected of a Caribbean beach resort.

Entertainment:

The entertainment team was great! Especially Menor- such a nice friendly, approachable full of life person! We loved him. They put him in the right position for sure. They had nice games at the pool/beach everyday and in the evening. They do a great job keeping the guest entertained. If you are looking for a party club filled vacation, this is not the place for you. Its very quiet and remote, so you are pretty much doing things at the resort for the entire vacation. We enjoyed it, because we came to relax and was not interested in any over the top partying. The love piano bar was a nice place at night with music and dancing and that was about it for night life.

Beach/pool bar:
Very disappointed in the beach. It is very small and more like a small cove than a beach. It is filled with seaweed and moldy rocks. They do clean the seaweed every morning, but it comes right back. The water was also very murky with sand - not very calm clear and settled. If you're looking for a great beach resort, I would not recommend this place. We spent most of our time at the pool because the beach was not appealing to swim or spend the day. Some people laid out, but not many went in the water. The pool bar is the place to be! The guys at the pool bar was great and the water in the pool was nice and clean, though it needed a good vacuum- a lot of sediment at the bottom. If you want to hang out at the pool you have to go early to get a spot at least by 9 a.m. Otherwise you will not get a chair.

Over all out trip was good, but we will not return there unless they update the rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in the castle, its newer and up to date. That's what we should have done.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity to improve your experience, to us; it will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We originally booked a Honeymoon Room with a splash pool. When we arrived they had upgraded us to a Monarch Beachfront Villa. The room was VERY nice and spacious. There were a few technical problems the next morning which we addressed with Brenda at the desk. She was very friendly and helpful. I also told her my husband wanted to see the honeymoon room with the pool because he was looking forward to that. They didn't have any to show us and after telling Brenda some of the issues with the Monarch she spoke with her boss and they upgraded us to a Honeymoon Villa smack on the Beach. It was insanely gorgeous!!!!! The bathroom was half inside and out. Really a great design. I sought out Menor on the beach to tell him he's so well spoken on Trip Advisor and he was so nice. Also to note, was Teddy Bear. My Hubby played Volleyball with him on the beach and he really seemed to love his job.

Food: We ate Italian the first night. I got the Lasagna and my Husband the Risotta. It was fabulous. The Blue Marlin was great for lunch. Wok was decent as was the Steakhouse.

Excursion: We did the Cigar making tour of the Island. Sanctuary is pretty far and most of the afternoon was in an uncomfortable Jeep. The tour was great but it could be condensed into half the time.

Beaches and Pools: Everyone says the Beach was small but I thought it was absolutely perfect. The Pool with the Swim up bar at the resort was my favorite. Hint: Bring sunscreen and anything else you may need because the Gift Shop on property is extremely expensive!!!!!

Spa: Wait till they have a deal and come around the Beach. The prices are a lot higher than in the states for a massage. One note about this resort. The only disappointment. What looks like a Jacuzzi at the pool is not. They do not have a hot tub on property or in the Spa. It was raining our first night and we were so excited to get into the bubbly looking jacuzzi off the pool and it was cold. They do not heat it. A luxury resort like this should have a hot tub.

Overall, this hotel is amazing and extremely worth the price for all inclusive. I actually think they should charge more. I can't believe I said that but it is completely true for what you get.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, is for this motive that our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews and mentions of our guests. I will share your feedback with the entire team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at this, your Sanctuary.

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from June 28 2013 until July 2, 2013 and my experience was great. For it to be my first time going to the Dominican Republic to a resort I have to honestly say that the staff at Sanctuary Cap Cana welcomes you with open arms. The staff is polite and very helpful. When me and my friends got to our room I was very impressed on the set up. The pictures on the website are exactly what you see at Sanctuary Cap Cana. The first night I got their friends and I ate at the Blue Marlin our server (Naury) was awesome and very polite. He took the time to get to know us and throughout our stay every restaurant we went to we was lucky to have (Naury) every time and every time the service was great!

Servers (Junior) along with (Eddy) at poolside and the beach they were always available and were very friendly their service was excellent anything you needed they were there to get it for you and me and my friends were very pleased.

The most fun and provided Excellent Service plus Entertainment would be (Teddy Bear). Teddy Bear always got everyone involved in activities especially aqua aerobics, meringue classes, Volleyball and the Rum tasting. The rum tasting I liked because it educated me on the different Rum Dominican Republic offered. After Rum tasting I purchased a couple of bottles to take back to the United States. All honesty if it was not for (Teddy Bear) and the rest of the Entertainment (Menor, Kyla) making my trip memorable and fun I would probably be board. I would definitely refer people to stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. Two Thumbs up and great job I give to the staff!

Room Tip: I stayed at the Castle at Sanctuary was very nice!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time that you took, sharing your experience with our future guests.

It is an honor for us, read that you had a wonderful time with us, we are very glad to learn that you enjoyed the daily entertainment and the service provided from our staff. "Rocky Balboa", Naury, Keila,Menor, Teddy Bear and Junior will know about your recognition, thank you very much for mention them.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

DeSoto, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

At the Sanctuary, my husband and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary! The staff at the Sanctuary made sure our stay was 1st class! Keila was apart of the entertainment. After the first round of horseshoes, she was calling us by name and created a wonderful atmosphere of family. We met Rocky during a Spanish lesson, and he became our go-to-guy for any need that we may have had, which were few. Menor was everywhere, making our stay fun with his playful antics and great smile. Richard, Saul, and Caterina were all contributors in making our stay wonderful! As you can tell, for us, vacation was about relaxation and time together, and it was also about connecting with the staff and leaving a piece of ourselves with them! Thank you Staff of Sanctuary Cap Cana!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would first of all like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such an enthusiastic review!

We are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom i`m sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!