“One of the best places!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Newport Beach, California
“One of the best places!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place is amazing...had the best time there, the service is outstanding everyone made us feel like vip's but without feeling like they had to.....we lost one of our friends and they really went out of their way to help us locate him, will be going back for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Czech first
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

As much as I'd like to keep this gem of a resort all to myself, I cant help but say that this place exceeded my expectations! The hotel itself is spotless and the food was outstanding. The service was great - - we felt like royalty! A huge thanks to Inoska, Yisel and Junior who were always friendly, helpful and kind. I would go back there in a minute!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Holmdel, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

What was once a lush and luxurious retreat to paradise has now been transformed into a mediocre experience, that is, depending on what is going on at the resort when you visit...

I have written but 2 of these reviews in my entire life, ironically both for the same resort (giving a 5-star rating a year ago under its prior ownership)... Effectively, what has turned out to be a tale of two resorts, if you will.

Service is sparse and sometimes challenging to find; the cutbacks in staff are quite quite evident, however, when you do find service it's friendly, attentive and warm, and as good as it has ever been... The service staff that works there are wonderful.

On our first day we were greeted by an out of control group of guests, who had commandeered the pool and surrounding area, screaming every imaginable profanity, explicit sex acts and much more at the top of their lungs... The vulgarity was beyond any threshold of tolerance, with many of the guests speaking amongst themselves complaining, and with many leaving the pool area (usually not a good sign).

We all expected that someone from the hotel's management would appear and bring this situation under control, but that did not happen, and this unrestricted vulgarity went on for nearly 8 hours... and now being a family resort, parents scurried and gathered their children and ushered them away from the "profanity family experience" as management remained notably absent.

Sadly, unlike the former resort operator, there appears to be less attention to detail... towels were hard to come by in property bathrooms, other amenities being sparse and with much needing maintenance on this property, including many of the walkways that have broken, cracked or missing portions of pavers...

If you enjoy weddings (not yours) then this is the place for you! Weddings in your face... How about one wedding in the back of the hotel lobby and terrace... It was so loud that we could hear the deafening music a full section away, over a loud TV in our guest room (we had raised the volume to try to drown out the noise) and which blared on until late into the evening.

We were at a Ritz Carlton in Jamaica a few months back that had three weddings going on... You would never know it... We found out as we saw the wedding parties walking around the property taking pictures... Here, on the other hand, you may as well crash the wedding... Since there's no escaping it.

Truth be told, we have nothing against weddings and wish these new couples well... However, we, and other guests, paid good money to visit here and relax too... Salamander has fully dismissed our privileges as paying customers.

Truth be told, the resort is a five-star property, their service staff are also five-star all the way; they were truly wonderful.

This review is a referendum on the resort manager and his or her staff, who, in my opinion, failed miserably to recognize that people paid good money to visit their resort, and dismissed their equal entitlement to quiet enjoyment as guests... after speaking with the concierge several times (about these and other issues early in the week) we were assured that the resort manager was concerned and that he/she would be coming to our room to discuss our concerns... Well, after many more days passed we never saw nor spoke with the general manager, much less any hotel management... Shame on them...

So if your considering this resort as a romantic getaway... Think twice, you may be better off going elsewhere, depending on what you're looking for... And what's going on at the resort during your visit!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitman, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I just returned from a 5 day trip for a wedding at Sanctuary Cap Cana. I couldn't have been more pleased. The grounds are immaculate, the staff is impeccable. Upon our arrival, as I was checking in, they come over with a cool towel (much needed, coming from Boston in November, I wasn't exactly dressed for the Dominican heat/humidity!) and a frozen fruity drink.

I stayed in a Jr. Oceanview suite, and it was more than acceptable. Many people in our party stayed in the castle, which, wow, the rooms were amazing - but - everyone in the party were mostly around the pool, and the castle is a hike from the main pool area, so I'm glad we were where we were and closer to the main pool.

Speaking of the main pool area - Carlo, the bartender, is amazing. He's fun, he's always quick with a drink, and he was by far my favorite at the resort. It has a swim up bar that we took advantage of more than once.

Food: I'll be the first to say that I don't eat any seafood of any kind. So I can't judge that (though my friends tell me the grouper ceviche at the pool bar was outstanding). The first night there, we had dinner at The Blue Marlin. I got a skirt steak that was probably the best I've had in my life.

In the morning, breakfast is at Casa Bella. There's a wide assortment of fresh fruit, as well as bacon (weird bacon though - not smoked/cured), sausages (great) potatoes (weird) and an omelette station (excellent). When I refer to the food as odd or weird, I'm sure it isn't, I'm sure it's just the way the food is down there and I'm not used to it. Just different flavors than what I'm accustomed to.

For lunch, I normally ate at the pool bar, but the Blue Marlin was open also. I had a Caesar salad with chicken the first day and it was very good. The next day I got a cheeseburger, which was good, but tasted slightly off to me? Again, I'm sure it's my American tastebuds.

The real gem of the food is at the Steakhouse, where we had dinner every night except the first night. It's a very nice looking restaurant inside, and waiters are on hand constantly to refresh your wine glass. I had rib eye each time I went, and it was absolutely delicious.

They have awesome strolling singers every night in the restaurants. Bring some ones to tip them, they're great!

We also ordered room service a few times late at night, and everything was great.

Atmosphere: As I said, I was there for a wedding, so I had absolutely no desire to leave the resort. If you're the adventurous type, realize you DO need to leave the resort to take part in various water sport activities/shopping. The casino was closed, but I knew that ahead of time.

Nightlife is limited to The Love Bar. Which was fine, there were enough of us there to make it super fun, but it would've been dead otherwise. Except the night of another wedding - they let them bring a cake into the Love Bar and the people TRASHED the place with cake everywhere. It was awful. I felt so bad for the staff that had to deal with that.

The Ocean Bar at The Castle is something that's really a hidden jewel. The views are breathtaking, there's an infinity pool, and it's very secluded. We happened upon it quite by chance.

I've seen a few complaints about the beach on here, and I found them to be unfounded. The seaweed wasn't problematic, the beach was not at all rocky, and in fact, the sand felt like silk under your feet. I was very happy with the beach.

The gift shop is way overpriced. I paid $43 USD for 2 kids t-shirts and 1 adult t-shirt. You're kind of stuck though, if you aren't planning on leaving the resort.

A few tips:

There is no Wi-Fi in your room. There IS at all the main areas (the pool bar, the Blue Marlin, Casa Bella, the Love Bar etc...) but NOT in your room. Your room IS hardwired, though. So I picked up a ZyXEL Wireless Pocket Travel Router from Amazon for $28. I plugged it in, and had wireless in my room. It was well worth it.

Bring lots and lots of 1 dollar bills for tipping.

It didn't rain when I was there, outside of a few tiny showers, but the grounds do get slippery. It's not a bad idea to have some kind of a swim shoe.

The rooms do smell a bit musty. But even I feel petty complaining about that. I wasn't in my room that much. Housekeeping is excellent.

Not that I wanted to call anyone, but I had no cellular service there. I used Skype to communicate back home (again, the WiFi router came in handy for that).

Bring bug spray. I saw people mentioning on here a problem with mosquito's. I only got bit by a mosquito once, and never actually SAW any, but the wedding was at dusk, and my feet got chewed by what I can only assume are some kind of sand flea.

The bottom line is that I loved this resort. I would return in a second, and recommend it fully.

Room Tip: The Castle has amazing rooms, but bear in mind, the trade off of that is you're a pretty decent...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here for a 4 day site selection trip, whereby I'd be reviewing the hotel for what it can offer a group of guests. I stayed on a Beach One Bedroom Villa, Room 1002. Although it's a BEAUTIFUL hotel with an outstanding location, it lacks customer service. The hotel is in management transition and may be one of the main reasons the personnel is less than accommodating. Although friendly, the staff doesn't respond well to customer complaints. They are very defensive vs. trying to solve your problem - which can be anywhere from lack of hot water, dissatisfaction with room, etc. If you can look past this, the resort is a perfect place to do absolutely nothing for days ... the perfect getaway. If you're someone who likes to do alot of things while on vacation, they are all available, but from other vendors through the concierge. Five onsite restaurants offer anywhere from seafood to sandwiches in informal settings, but they are not all open at the same time. The seafood at the Blue Marlin was okay - not outstanding .... the highlight was the calamari appetizer, which I ordered twice. I liked my steak dinner in the steakhouse very much which is weird because you'd think seafood would be better given that it's readily available. Breakfast is the same daily, but offers lot of variety. The rooms are adequate, but in need of renovations. The sanctuary is a quick 15 minutes from the airport. The spa, however, is considered one of the best in the caribbean! Let's hope new management gives this property a lift!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for a better room if you're unhappy with the choice they offer you. Av...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place is amazing.. I had an awful experience in a not so great resort I came to in Punta Cana last year but my friends convinced me this would not be the case in Sanctuary and let me tell you this place did not disappoint. Amazing views and friendly staff. I even got to meet the manager of the hotel in the lobby during check in. She was a lovely person. Genuinely kind.. Normally people who run resorts tend to be a bit stand offish so I was pleasantly surprised. The food was great. No buffet style here.. Everything is a la carte. The staff was helpful and attentive even though their was a lot of events such as weddings and music concerts they never once forget about the other guests. Great place.. HIGHLY recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I truly enjoyed our time at the Sanctuary. Every staff member was courteous and pleasant. We appreciated our room upgrade too! The resort is beautiful and the food is really good. We were excited about that since a lot of all inclusive places don't always have the best food. We've already made recommendations for friends to travel here.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the swim up suites!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!