“Sanctuary saved out 25th Wedding Annivesary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Macomb, Michigan
“Sanctuary saved out 25th Wedding Annivesary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Our trip started on Valentines Day and our 25 anniversary date. First 3 days at the Hard Rock Punta Cana and the last 4 days at the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary ownership and staff were great and I want to thank them for everything they did during our stay to put behind the first 3 nightmare days of our trip. What a GREAT place and even GREATER PEOPLE!!!! Thanks so much, Tammi and I will be back someday, this time we will do it right and stay with you all 7 days.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Thank you for your details on your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. Having had the opportunity to have you stay at the resort and be part of your 25th anniversary stay was a great honor for us.

We greatly appreciate that you have both taken time out of your busy days to share with us all your compliments; we really enjoyed being part of it all.

We hope to have stay with us for 7 days or more in another opportunity. We promise to maintain our good service levels and to exceed your expectations again. Best wishes for both of you and many more years to come together.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Czech first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

This was the first time we have traveled to Punta Cana and we cannot say enough great things about our experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana. We were a group of 12 who had booked this trip a year ago, so our expectations were definitely high. We were a little leery if we would run into any problems with our all-inclusive package (since when the hotel changed hands, some changes were made with the packages). I am pleased to say we had NO problems what-so-ever. From the time we stepped foot into the resort, we were greeted with warm smiles, friendly faces and staff that was willing to meet any of our needs.

Rooms: Very spacious and accommodating. A few in our group had trouble with their AC, but the front desk moved them to a different room almost immediately.

Restaurants: Great food and amazing wait staff. Our favorite was the hibachi grill restaurant. The morning breakfast buffet was always good.

Pool: LOVED it. Most all-inclusive places we've stayed at in the past are packed and you have to get up early to claim your lounge chair. At Sanctuary, we had no problem shuffling down to the pool around 11am and find plenty available chairs. The pool staff at the swim up bar were fun and willing to whip up any drink we requested.

Beach: Very nice, a little rocky, but still beautiful. If you stay in a private villa, the beach leading out from those patios is better than the main beach.

We asked the concierge to set up a shuttle to take us to the local market. We assumed she knew what we were talking about, given that other islands we have visited have local, authentic fare. We ended up being shuttled to a mall (much like the ones in the US) in Bavaro. Don't bother...

Vendors come and set up tables around the pool area that you can find cute souvenirs and can even bargain with them for better deals.

The only downside I can say for our trip is that the restaurants do not accommodate large groups. Initially, they had said no reservations were needed, knowing that we arrived as a group of 12. We arrived at dinner the first night thinking they would make the accommodation, but split us up into two groups of 6.

All-in-all, we couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you Sanctuary staff for making it a memorable one! We hope to return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: Rooms in the castle (where spa is located) are very quiet. You feel like you are the only one stayin...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing Sanctuary Cap Cana as your preferred vacation destination in the Dominican Republic. We are very happy to read that we have been part of your first travel experience to the country. Consider us your home in Punta Cana; we will be waiting for you in future visits.
We appreciate your comments on your overall experience. We hope that have the whole group of 12 back soon!
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Our first time in Dominican republic and we were so happy to be greeted by such wonderful and kind people.
The resort was more beautiful than I expected and quiet and restful. It is definitely better suited for an adults only vacation, no water slides, etc, which suited us just fine. Our bungalow was spacious and clean, however, a little dark.

The food was surprisingly good and then restaurants were pretty, especially The Asian and the fish restaurants. If you are looking for over the top buffets, than this is not the place for you.
We have done that with the family(13) in riviera Maya which was fine, but the Sanctuary is smaller, more elegant and more personal.

Everyone goes out of their way to be of service and will personally help you and lead you to
wherever you want to go. The staff led by the incomparable Jarlin Gonzalez are just the best.
She knew what we needed, before we even had to ask and when something broke in our room she went there to make sure it got fixed.
We haves traveled all over the Carribean , Europe and USA and Jarlin is not only professional, but does her job with warmth, precision, and best of all a smile.
I also need to thank carolyne and her staff who made every morning delightful as we had breakfast.

The pool was a perfect size, the bar great, the beach, small, but lovely and beautiful water.

The Sanctuary is a true gem among many resorts.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments on your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. We are happy to read that your first trip to the Dominican Republic was so enjoyable and unforgettable.

We appreciate your kind compliments on our facilities and very specially your wonderful note on Jarlin and Carolyn's service. We are very proud of them and of every staff member that is part of Great Resorts at Cap Cana.

We look forward to sharing with you again another wonderful stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have traveled all over the world and stay at many resorts and dealt with many people.I have to say the the following people are the best:
Hector Alfaro Frt. desk mgn.
Jarlin Gonzalez Chief Concierge
Bartenders:
Manuel Ferreira
Colorhuero Puis
Yonis
Ruth
Louvier
Bernaardo
these people go above and beyond great customer service!!
G.Enger

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for sharing with us your kind email on your recent experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana. It is a great pleasure to learn that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit. Hector, Jarlin, Manuel, Yonis, Ruth, Louvier and Bernardo are so excited to be part of your review and this definitely a great pattern of our team work efforts. We look forward greeting you on property again soon!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Location, Food Quality, Resort Atmosphere and management are all lacking. Sanctuary is more like a hotel with mediocre restaurants than a resort. If you are looking for a nice, entertaining resort, then this is not the place for you. If you're looking for seclusion then this may be a good fit. Many guests at the Sanctuary were ‘bumped there’ from other resorts due to overbooking. Many were very dissatisfied and looking for some sort of compensation for getting ‘bumped there’. We did not hear any guests suggest that they were content or would come back.

The Cap Cana location is desolate, not much else can be said. 40 minutes to get to Punta Cana and 40 back.

The beach is tiny, the staff does their best to clean and improve on the little that Mother Nature has provided. The day time beverage, food and staff at the pool and beach are fine.

The rooms are fine and the housekeeping staff were excellent. The dining areas in the restaurants are very nicely decorated; china, flatware and glassware are well above average.

The management and readiness of the restaurants is poor, perhaps terribly so. We never had a dining room manager/Matre’d/Manager check to see how the guests were doing. The hostesses cannot tell you how long the wait is at the ‘other’ restaurant, so you have to walk to find out. Usually only two restaurants open for dinner on any given night. Food quality is ok, but not very flavorful or creative. There are no dinner buffets for those days when you’re just too tired of waiting N-hours for an ala carte.

Best case 2.5 hours for dinner … Worse case 4.5 hours for dinner. You might wait 90 minutes for a table and then 3 hours for your food. In one case, an hour before water was served at the table. At no time did a dining room manager check on the table or explain the problems or ask how things were going. At the end of your wait given a dry overcooked steak when what you ordered Rack Of Lamb Rare. Obviously at midnight you are too exhausted to expect a resolution or even entertain an excuse. Rack Of Lamb is on the menu and the order was taken; yet no Rack of Lamb was available and no mention ot fhat was made. The next morning other guests tell you that, while on the menu, it has not been available for weeks.

We never saw a general manager ask how things are going …. Perhaps strolling the property or the lobby … never. The front desk did not ask how things were on check-out. There was no customer satisfaction survey on check-out.

Room Tip: Basic rooms were really very nice. From there, the sky was the limit.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I don't know where to begin with my trip and how much I loved this hotel. Besides how breath taking this property is, I owe so much credit to the head concerige, Kari. I searched for hotels that catered to Newly Weds. After months and months of searching I came upon the Sanctuary Cap Cana and Kari. I explained to Kari how this trip was a surpirse to my new bride and wanted to see if she could help to plan the perfect honeymoon. Needless to say Kari went above and beyond for me.

To our unfortunate luck of haivng a hurricane ruin our whole wedding, we still decided to go on our honeymoon. After 9 hours of trying to find a flight out of New York, and as my wife to be waited patiently with hidden tears of sorrow running down her face because of everything that had happened I found a flight.

I notified Kari of what had happened and how this trip was now more important to me and her than ever.

When we arrived at Sanctuary we were greated by one of my favorite host's Mr Miami!! With his over welcoming personality and larger than life personality, he jumped at the opportunity to welcome us in style. Then followed a wonderful cocktail, a freshly moistened towel to freshen up from the long trip, and last but not least a refreshing glass of cucumber water.

Waiting for only a minute, I heard a voice that was way to familar. I turned around to one of the pretiest smiles that I have ever seen.....it was Kari. We were welcomed with open arms as we arrived to check in. As a true professional Kari told us everything is taken care of from here out, and don't worry. She didn't let us waste a minute with the normal hoopla of checking in. She handed me our own personal cell phone, and said if you need anything, and I mean anything you just press send and it calls my cell phone direct. She then told Miami to grab our stuff and go check out our room.

Miami, Kari, my wife and myself proceeded up the grounds to the honeymoon suites. She handed us our key and said enjoy as she stepped back a couple paces to let us walk in to our huge surprise and delight of one of the most beautiful rooms I had ever seen in my life. There were no words to describe how breath taking ( I can't say room because it was like a villa) the room was. I then noticed our own private infinity pool 4 stories up looking out over the ocean.
After turning around to see a professional taking true delight in her job with the smile on her face ear to ear, I thanked and huged her.....she didn't say a word as she smiled and started to close the door to then hear from Miami in a great and happy tone say " Enjoy you two"!!!!

After taking in how unbelievable this all was and doing what honeymooners do, we proceeded to see the grounds and amenities. This hotel and getaway was like no other. From the little shops, numerous restaurants, fantastic gym, and spa......it was all just breath taking.

We ate at all the restaurants and were thoroughly impressed with it all. Between the Hiabachi and the Italian it was a toss up for favorite restaurant. I have to say for me the Italian restaurant and the Lasgana was the best thing I had there. The creativity of all the bartenders and their outrageous drink combinations had me really enjoying myself.

We had romantic evenings planned all by Kair. Between the private serenading and champagne, to the in-suite butlered private dinner, this trip just could not get any better. The spa and services were just I think one of the best parts of the hotel. To be able to get a spa service and then enjoy everything that the spa has to offer for the day was amazing. From the self active action pool, to the lawn chairs to read a book in a shaded area, to the steam or sauna to a cold plunge, or to just relax in the jaccuzzi. It was just so much to offer at the spa. It was just endlessly such a romantic getaway where my wife and I got to be on a cloud of ecstasy our entire trip.

I know it is usually of concern on trips in the DR so I will let you know. The staff was all amazing and so friendly. The A/C was great in the rooms. And we had plenty of clean towels. Our room was cleaned daily. Fresh sheets and fresh towels daily. Bugs were not an issue at all in our room.

How can you possibly turn an event like canceling a wedding that a woman has dreamed of her entire life since a little girl, from a disaster into a trip you can only dream of. Well book a trip at Sanctuary Cap Cana, and let Kari and her phoenomenal staff do the rest! Sanctuary Cap Cana is an unforgetable island of beauty and bliss, and one that will hold a special place for me and my wife close in our hearts for our life time together. Kari I owe you the world for what you did for me. With all my heart and love and Chloe too!! lol xoxo

Room Tip: Suites with private pools are amazing
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
It is of great pleasure to read that your August 2011 stay at our property was so great. We are very proud of Kari and Miami for having worked so hard in coordinating every detail of your stay and for going above and beyond to ensure a wonderful stay.
Even though your stay was while we were under a Secrets Brand name at that time, being now part of Salamander's Great Resort at Cap Cana collection by Salamander Hotels and Resorts; we look forward to serving you again. I am sure that both Kari and Miami will be very pleased to see you return and to be able to greet together with the rest of us.
Thank you for your detailed review, we promise to continue improving and to ensure that we exceed your expectations again on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Loved, loved, loved this resort. My husband and I have been to many places in the Caribbean, and this one was one of the best. The staff was great, the food was great (you could also have complimentary room service 24/7) good drinks, and a beautiful resort hotel. They also offered free shuttle to the golf course, Marina (don't bother going there - not much to see...) and the Casino if you like. I don't know what people are complaining about the beach. Yes, it was small, and was exclusive for the resorts use, but it was a BEAUTIFUL white sand, that did not even stick to your feet. If you wanted to see more beach, you just need to walk around to the end of the resort, and you could walk for miles on the beach, which is what we did most mornings. I would go back here in a heartbeat...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Gracias for sharing with your experience at Sanctuary Cap Cana! We appreciate that you have taken the time to compliment us on our services, the grounds and our overall facilities.
This is a FANTASTIC comment that we will ensure to share with all staff.
We hope to see you and your husband back again at Sanctuary soon.

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!