“awesome vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Cap Cana

You added Sanctuary Cap Cana to your Saves list
Sanctuary Cap Cana
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Zona hotelera, Playa Juanillo, Punta Cana 0809, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Detroit, Michigan
“awesome vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

This place was awesome. It was not over crowded, the staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. The food was great every night. There are several restaurants (each one is not open every night though) and they were all delicious. The swim up bar in the main pool was great. The staff wanted to fill your drink back up before you could finish it. I would go back to this place anytime.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Czech first
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Very beautiful resort, buildings, rooms, restaurants, lounges, beach and pools all absolutely wonderful.
This was a special occasion for our engagement. What a great romantic resort. Our room had the swim out pool and was very elegant. Room service took sometime & forgot items on a few occasions. I think it was just miscommunication.
Staff were always friendly greeting with a smile. One particular employee that we will not forget is Willy Wonka. This young man was quite helpful throughout the duration of our trip. Not only to me and my fiance but others we meet talked of him as well. One day when we were playing volleyball a guest was hurt. We inquired about him a few days later & said he went to see him at the hospital during his break and he was doing well! My fiance and I could not believe that he took the time on his break to check on a guest. Now that is a employee that should be acknowledged for his exceptional work ethic! Another individual that was helpful was a female conceiger, unfortunately I do not recall her name. She was great assisting me with a trip to town to shop the local shops. When I visit another country I like to experience the culture so I did not want to go to a shopping mall.
Enjoyed the lazy, relaxing days on the beach nice and peaceful and if you want a little more excitement try the pool area. More activities going on there.
Food was great, especially the Marlin restaurant out over the ocean!
May consider Secrets for the wedding!
I am sure my guests will love it!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

This was the most beautiful place. The beach was gorgeous and clean. Secrets staff was top notched especially Willy Wonka. Willy was friendly, outgoing, and helpful. He was knowledgable of the area and went out of his way to answer any question we had. Not to mention his english was easy to understand.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We went to Secrets for our honeymoon and had an excellent time. Vacations are never perfect but this place was beautiful and the service made our trip. We stayed in a castle junior suite ocean front. The view was amazing! When we arrived the room did smell musty and it was very damp. I think all the rooms in the castle part had this smell. However, by the second day, we didn't even notice it anymore. The room was very nice and the view and privacy we had made up for it. We had no issues with hot water or bugs either. We had a nice porch to sit out on and read our books with a great view. They had all the major networks on tv in English but a few were in Spanish.

The food was good but not great. However, we just chalked it up to being in a foreign country and eating bulk service food. We did really like the breakfast at Casa Bella and lunches by the pool were pretty good too. The fruit tasted great! The dinners were not great, similar to eating at the longhorn versus the capitol grill. This was a little disappointing but we didn't let it ruin our trip. The scenery at the blue marlin was amazing and our favorite place to eat dinner. Get there early so you get a good table.

The main pool was the best part of our trip. The waiters there made hanging out by the pool our favorite activity. Yes, if you tip you'll get preferred service but being nice and friendly to them goes even further. We befriended Aramis and he was the best server out there and the most outgoing and friendly. If you treat them good they will treat you very good. I cannot stress that enough. We had no problems tipping them extra if they delivered services above and beyond. Jose was also excellent at the pool. We could not believe that anyone would write that the staff there were not friendly. That was what we raved about the most. Every staff member there said hi with a nice smile and gave us whatever we needed. Communication was an issue at times because of the language barrier but just be patient and speak clearly. Remember that you will be in a Spanish speaking country and English is not their primary language. If you learn some common phrases in Spanish prior to going that would be helpful.

The one thing I personally did not like was when the flea markets were there. They camped out right by the pool area and were relentless in trying to get you to buy stuff. They're very good and making you feel guilty for not purchasing anything and they definitely try to sell high. A recommendation is to look everything up online prior and then tell them what you're willing to pay for the item, especially for the Rum. You can find prices for Dominican Rum online and they do have free internet in the rooms and in the lobby area. Review custom laws regarding transporting back to US before buying. I appreciate everyone trying to make a living so I would suggest to the resort that they set up their stands by the other stores and not by the pool. It was too distracting and you were haggled while sitting out by the pool trying to relax.

Other people we would like to acknowledge are Juan Jose our concierge, Teresa from the Spa, and the waitress at the Love bar whose name I cannot remember. They did a good job and were pleasant and helpful.

If you do go to the spa ladies, skip the mani/ pedicures. They are expensive and nothing like what you get in the US. Spend your money on the massages!!

This was our first resort trip so we didn't have any other place to compare it to but we had an excellent time, the weather was perfect, the resort was not super busy, and the views/setting were amazing. I almost forgot to mention Juanillo beach. It's a public beach right next to the resort and it is amazing! It's the most beautiful beach I've ever seen and we took a walk there each morning and got some great pictures. Beaches there are different then the US. No shells and seaweed but the sand is white and very soft.

If you pick this resort you'll have a good time, great views, make new friends and overall have a relaxing trip.

Room Tip: You must get an ocean front or ocean view room.
Porto Alegre
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I went to Secrets in our honeymoon. The hotel is extremely beautiful, but we had many issues with the hotel service, which was just horrible. The food was ok, nothing extraordinary. Blue marlin was the best restaurant and the steak house the worst. The rooms were clean, the spa was perfect and the hotel was beautiful. It is really expensive especially considering the poor service that it is offered. I will list below some of the issues we had.

1- Room. We booked a room with partial ocean view with a honeymoon package. We got to the hotel really tired from our trip and they made us seat with a concierge who gave us many discounts coupons and some wrong information about our honeymoon package. It was really unnecessary, I thought e would show us the hotel, but he didn't, nobody did. Well, after that, they took us to our room without our luggage. We got there and there was a "happy anniversary" sign at the door (which was obviously wrong, it should say honeymooners like in all the other doors), there was no flowers, no champagne (like our honeymoon package included) and a view to a parking lot! After complaining for 2 hours, some tours to rooms, including a person who worked in the reception and could not find the room he was supposed to show us), they gave us a nice room with an ocean view.

2 - Orlando (guy who works at the reception desk): don't believe this guy. He lied to us many times and never complied with whatever we asked. Here are some of the issues we had with this specific employee:
- when we asked why we didn't have the honeymoon package he said it was because we got the the hotel before 3PM. Can you believe it? And we got to the room 10 past 3, because everything is just soooo slow there
- we order something in the room with him (because the room service would never answer the phone) and he never sent it
- we asked him to book a shuttle to take us to the airport the day we had to leave and he never did. We got there and there was no shuttle.

3 - Room Service. Is the worst ever, really unbelievable how bad it was. We order 2 hot dogs and a champagne and after 40 min they delivered 6 beers. I t took another 40 min to bring us the hot dogs and a warm champagne. We order ham and cheese in the room and some bread (when we had the breakfast in the room) and it took 40 minutes to bring only the ham and cheese.

4- Service in general. All the employees pretend they speak English, but they don't. It ends up you speak and ask something and they never bring it to you. The employees, including concierges, know nothing about the hotel. They always give you wrong information about everything (restaurant hours, dvd, hotel activities).

5- Snorkeling. There is an amazing beach next to the hotel where you can do some snorkeling. Well, there was a "snorkeling tour" scheduled in the daily activities, but we got there and there was nobody. After 20 minutes, we found a guy that would give us the snorkeling equipment and tell us we wouldn't be able to see anything.

6- Romantic Dinner. After complaining with the hotel manager, Marco Penha, about all the problems we had so far, he gave us a romantic dinner. They gave us 2 options of menu (where said we would have concha e touro champagne which we thought is really good, considering that the hotel champagne was too sweet). Well, we got there and they had set the dinner in the wrong place and offered us the regular champagne. When we asked, they had never heard about the concha e touro champagne. It is really not worth paying for this dinner.

7- General problems: they gave us a cell phone to talk to the only "good"concierge they had, considering all the problems he had, and the only time we tried to call her, she didn't answer; they didn't really replaced everything when they cleaned the room, for example, one day there was only one towel, they never replaced the coffee cups we used; the concierge told us we would have a dvd in our room, because she believed they had one in every room, but we didn't, when they brought it to the room, the dvd player, the guy looked at us and ask for the remote control of the dvd player HE had brought and said it would not work if WE didn't have.

8- Bribery. We noticed that even we got to the beach really early we couldn't get the best seats in the shadows. Well, we saw in our last day that one of the employees reserved the best place to one of the customers, which is not allowed.

9- Rooms. Be careful we you decide to go there when booking your room. We booked the junior castle suite with partial ocean view. We found out that none of the junior castle suites has ocean view.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Need a place for some nice relaxation, under much stress from job. We could not have chosen a better resort. From the dining, bar-b-q by the pool, luxury rooms, wonderful hospitality of the staff, and beautiful serene beach!!!
Being pampered by the staff by the pool & on the beach totally awesome. However, I felt mgt./supervisors appeared to always micro managing staff too much. Employees seemed to become more controlled like rehearsed on how & what to say. They are much more pleasant when not under this mgt. pressure.
I felt the activities were nice not to over bearing but welcoming to participate. One exceptional employee to note is Willy Wonka. This gentleman adds so much character, professionalism, and excitement to the resort. Always more than a friendly hello, seem to know all guests by name, goes way above and beyond in what seems expected. I would very much like to have him work for my company. A true asset,
The resort over all a Beautiful place, gardens, beach, dinning facilities, food great, and enjoyed the room as well.
Could use a few more staff at registration that are bi-lingual. I called directly to the resort in the last month to book new reservations for the fall. I attempted conversation with two women with no luck, fortunately I then talked with a familiar voice Willy. I hope to see him again when I return and be happy to see him promoted to the front desk. I know I rave about this man but he is exceptional with the guests. As I stated earlier all employees do their best to make your experience wonderful.

Room Tip: ask for upgrade availability very low fee
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I have traveled a few countries but this by far is the Most Beautiful I have ever seen! The resort could not be any better!!! I was totally amazed from the time I arrived till we departed. The staff could not be more friendlier & helpful, beautiful & clean resort & beach! Food was great in a group of 40, know one was sick!!! Everyone raved about Willy Wonka, part of the entertainment staff! His work ethic is unmatched by any other and knew every guest by name. Always a smile, bi-lingual, helpful and would make everyone feel a part & special! Entertainment was also exciting and accommodating, was during the SECC tourn. & had a room for fans to watch games.When traveling to the airport our entire group of 40 voted to return to Secrets again. They could not stop talking about the wonderful experience and how Willy was the absolute best!!

Room Tip: visit in many rooms all exceptional!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana? Share your experiences!