“A perfect romantic trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #30 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lima, Peru
“A perfect romantic trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We are here at Punta Cana celebrating our 7 months anniversary and we are very happy with our decision to choose Th Royal Suites. The resort is amazing, quiet and the view is breath taking. We have a swim up room and it is gorgeous. We will return , we enjoy the shows , the food (with some exemptions , the butler service and the drinks at the pool!

Rosario y David

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
north carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

We just returned from a 12 day stay at the Royal Suites, spent Christmas and New Years there. My husband and I prefer adult only resorts, and have stayed at many 4 - 5 star resorts of this type through out the Tropics. Royal Suites Punta Cana is NOT a 4 star resort. My reasoning for this statement is, primarily that the food in the restaurants is sub par. Even in the "eclusive" The Royal Gourmet restaurant, the food was not up to 4 star standards. We dined at other restaurants on the property, The Grand Palladium has 3 different resorts situated on one very large property. Most were buffet style restaurants that catered to the "family" clientele that they represented. The food was the same in each restaurant, no real variation. The food was also not kept at the appropriate temperatures, which made us a bit leary at times to eat various things. The Royal Gourmet restaurant - the "EXCLUSIVE" restaurant just for Royal Suites residents, was played up to be the "best" in fine dining. The service was excellent! The waiters were all very attentive and lots of fun. The food not so much. If you ordered any meat entrees, it was hard to differentiate between one or the other. I ordered the filet mignon, which was NOT filet mignon at all - still trying to figure out what cut of meat that was even now. I ordered the rib eye steak one night, and I swear what I got was a form of pot roast. After those 2 not so wonderful meals, I tried the lamb dishes, which were alright, but nothing to rave about, and went on to try the turkey, duck and other entrees. Nothing really was out of the ordinary. Not what one would expect from a 4 star rated establishment. The best way I can sum up the food is, my husband and I are real foodies, and we both came home from this vacation having not gained even 1 pound! On a positive restaurant note.....we did have a very nice meal at "Bamboo" restaurant. It is an asian style place, and we both really enjoyed eating there.

We opted for a Junior Swim up Suite, as they sounded like a lot of fun. We stayed in building 53, which was centrally located to both the lobby the beach and the restaurants. We stayed in room 5306, which is located on the side of the pool that gets the afternoon sun (1:30 pm - 4:00 pm). So we found ourselves having to walk around the pool to get to the "sunny side" each morning, or going to the main pool or beach area to take advantage of the morning sun. When I say "walk around" that is what you had to do, as the pool temperature did not rise above 60 degrees the entire 12 day stay. The pool is only 4 foot deep, but with that cold temperature, it made going in the water almost painful. I did manage to get in up to my knees a couple of times, but I never got fully into the pool off of our swim up suite. We spoke with fellow residents of building 53, and we all agreed, that if the resort invested in some solar panels, they could heat up the pools to a very agreeable temperature. In the entire 12 days, we noticed that only a few brave souls took advantage of the swim up suites pool, which seems kind of a waste in the long run for the extra money that we all had to pay. The main pool area was warmer than our pool, and the ocean was warmer than them all -- go figure!

The Grand Palladium resort as a whole is very nice. The landscaping is kept up, and everything is very clean. We did enjoy the tiny train that runs the properties non stop, so you can get from one place to another without having to constantly walk. The Royal Suites residents have access to golf carts that you can call, that will pick you up and drop you off on demand. This was a very nice service.

We never made it to any of the shows that were offered, as they started at 10:00 pm, and since we eat dinner at 6:00 pm, and there aren't any activities offered between those times, we usually ended up having cocktails in the lobby, then retiring to our room early. We did speak with people who did see the shows, and they said that the Michael Jackson show was very very good. Being there for the holidays, I was hoping that there would be more activities offered. They did have the singing of Christmas Carols at the Grand Palace lobby, and a "live Nativity" show that we also missed seeing due to not knowing exactly where it was going to be held. New Years was kind of blah, no real celebrations except for the fireworks show at midnight - that was a very nice touch.

The staff at the Royal Suites Turquesa were all very good. Our butler Jahaira was extremely wonderful to work with. She always had a smile on her face, and was eager to assist you in any way that she could. Tomas, the golf cart driver was always smiling He remembered your name, and was happy to accomodate you any time he was working, which is all the time. These employees work 12 days on with 3 days off, but all the staff we can in contact with, were excellent.

To sum it all up, I would say, the resort isn't all bad. There are good points, but if you are more comfortable staying at 4-5 star resorts, then I don't think you would be happy with your stay here. Some other reviewer said, that 4 - 5 star resorts vary according to where they are, that is simply not true. 5 star is 5 star. Once you've had that kind of service, food, atmosphere, you know it, and you also know when you don't get it. My one suggestion to the Royal Suites, is to make daily or weekly printouts of activities that are posted in each buildings lobby, so that residents can see and plan ahead. This way, you would know when and where you wanted to go each day, and wouldn't miss something because you did not have that information.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I loved the view of the pool in the suites on the old side, the swim up suites looked nice but we didn't stay in one. We were in the 5200 section steps from the beach and our corridor was a dead end, so not a lot of traffic passing by our door, it was a quiet , relaxing setting. Around 7:30 others booked the seats by the pool, with the swim up bar, but the pool on the other (new) side had lots of spots and canopy beds and so did the beach , more than enough palapas to go around and the beach service was very good, both drinks and snacks. The coffee was terrific. The Pillow menu was good and I had a good sleep, and I am pretty fussy, right temperature, darkness and noise. You had control over the air and fan and the rooms were cleaned and tended to daily (but we tipped the maid well). The Bar fridge had fresh water daily and the beer was replenished as was the coffee daily.
There was a long list of activities in the sports area, and a 24 hour pub, with pub grub, a 15 minute walk away. There was not a bad restaurant, but our favorite was the one for the Royal Suites exclusively. The service was great and the food was good there, with a reasonable selection. I loved the first night which was booked for us at this restaurant, and the lobster was good.
The fitness center was awesome, and the spa was nice, if I spoke a bit more spanish I would have had a bit more information. Except for the fact that the beach was very windy, and the golf resort was not there, and not properly advertized, they left out the 140 fee per person on the advertising, it was an ideal vacation...but it helped to have perfect company.

armstrong,b.c
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This was our second trip to punta cana. Can't say a negative thing about this resort. We stayed in the new section room 5631. The room was more than expected,beer fridge filled ever day,yahoo! The butler went out of his/her way whenever we required something. If you needed a ride anywhere and at any time , a simple phone call to the front desk and the boogie bus was there within 3-5 minutes. By staying at the royal, you get preferred reservations at all the alacarte restaurants through out the resort. There were several times we arrived late for breakfast at the royal buffet and by having the gold bracelets ,they still allowed us in to eat. The royal pool bars have a better selection of drinks than the other resorts on site. If u don't see what u want ,just ask as the good stuff is hidden behind the bar.The royal gourmet restaurant was good as long you got there early for dinner.(lobster,filet, etc).Service was very good and the staff spoke english very well,unlike the last time we were in Punta Cana.Overall our expectations were well met. The beach is the beach its awsome. A lttle hint for music lovers,the bars all play merange? music. Bring a couple of your own cds and the bartenders will play them. 9 out of 10

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Elkton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Vacationed here for Christmas week 2010 and was very happy with our choice to stay at RST. The beach is second to none in the carribean, the pool is quiet and luxurious and the champagne flowed freely. The ONLY downside for us was the food.

This was our 4th trip to Punta Cana and it's the same story everytime, 1-2 days of the trip we are with stomach cramps/pains and using the restroom. We expected MUCH better food at the RST as per all of the reviews and it just didn't live up to expectations in that department. Don't get me wrong, the Royal Gourmet restaurant was a magnificent setting and the service was ideal but the food (although better than all previous all inclusives in the DR) just didn't make the grade.

If you are a foodie, I would not recommend the Dominican Republic at all. If you can sacrifice a little in this area, there is nowhere that comes close for the price. All in all, still had a 4 star trip even with the tummy aches.

New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Here is my honest review… Took a bit of time..

April 7th to 14th 2010
Royal Turquesa

We had a swim up room. It was absolutely fabulous. I usually prefer a room on the top floors because I find it less damp. The bed was super comfortable; I loved the 2 person shower. The bath did not drain well so we didn’t use it, preferred the shower. No problem at all with the room or the location. Most locations are great and a short walk to the lobby.

We were brought to our room by a butler. I don’t wish to name names but we really didn’t like him that much. He was quite arrogant. Next time we return we will try to get another one from the start. But that is very minor. It is just to let you know that any butler will help you, you don’t have to stay with the initial one that brings you to your room. We talked to someone else that had another butler and they loved him.

Beach: We did have to get up early to reserve chairs with palapas. Around 6:30 or 7:00. There were 4 people beside us that had 8 chairs every day. Four in the shade and four on the beach. It was disgusting when you see people walking around looking for chairs. We were on vacation and not willing to start discussions but if they read this maybe the will feel guilty. On the day we were leaving we discussed going and removing their towels and leaving them a note with only one chair saying it was not nice but we didn’t but we had a laugh about it. The service on the beach was great. We loved it.

The food: we had lunch quite a few times at the Royal turquesa it was quite a treat. From 1 to 3 every day. A different menu. Lovely and the service was excellent. We may have enjoyed the lunches more than the dinners at this restaurant because we were less people. Anyway loved it. The meals were great. The salmon, steak, shrimps, duck were all very good. Say hi to the 2 Franciscos and Alkouray for us if you go… Say you saw there names on the internet

For supper at the Royal Turquesa we also liked but maybe the Bamboo more… It was more cozy and not as busy. We ate a couple times at the Buffet and it was good also. Have the fruit flambé… and add soft ice cream.. Yum… Also for breakfast ask for a cappuccino very good. The only restaurant we really didn’t like at all is the UVA. Ouffss won’t go back there. The menu is very limited and not very good. Really nothing special at all. Sorry… But this is our opinion (we were 8) and only one person really liked his meal.

We went to hemingsway. Liked it also. But it is really hard to get a drink that taste the same twice. The strawberry daiquiri were different every time. The best at the hemingways but depending who made them. Champagne was my choice of drinks but couldn’t get it everywhere.

We also liked the Royal Turquesa lobby. Had a couple really nice coffees there. The fridge that is self serve if very nice and a nice touch. Didn’t use the internet because I had an engagement to not touch any computers or get in touch with my children(young adults)

The weather was the most rain I have ever had in April but we still were able to go to the beach every day. It did rain in the room of some other guests during the night but it was promptly cleaned. We were ok being on the first floor.

We had some lovely walks. If you are brave you can go to the village. For cheap coffee there is a grocery store 3$ US each. The exact same that you buy at the resort for 6 or 7. Don’t wait until the airport because it is 8$. To get to the grocery walk on the beach were the vendors are. A short distance and there is a restaurant called Captain Cook. Cut through there and you will reach the street. Directly across from the street there is a grocery store. You can buy all kinds of things there. 105 pesos is 3$ US. A tip is ask the girl how much before you line up. They do cheat you a bit. If you have pesos even better because most things have prices on them. If not ask before. If you want you can get the coffee 2 for 5 from the vendors. It is more of a hassle but that is the price we paid. I also bought some vanilla but fresh in the husk. Also these are the best prices don’t wait for the airport because you will pay more. This year at the duty free we didn’t see many bargains. Buy your rum in the shops or grocery. Make sure the seal is not broken..

For the jewelry and paintings we found the best deals at the palace lobby. They come about 2 or 3 times a week. We paid 30$ us for a large painting. Silver turquoise rings 22$.

We went to one show it was ok. We tried hard to find some Dominican music in the lobby and had trouble. I would love to have more. Did find some one night in the Bavaro lobby but breaks for pretty often so didn’t get to hear that much.

We had a lovely week. We loved it and will return next year. We were in the Bavaro section last year but enjoyed the perks of the Royal Turquesa so much we will return. We have travelled to maybe 10 resorts and this is the first one we have returned to. We tipped quite a bit. But they really enjoy something personal. I had wrapped in little cellophane bags some Werther chocolates and gave them out all week. I sometimes had the feeling that they enjoyed the chocolate more than the tip.

Hope this helps… Don’t forget the long pants (or jeans) are required for the a la carte and the Royal Turquesa for supper. We saw quite a few upset men leaving to have to change. So be advised. Sandals are ok.
All in all we loved it and will return. So have fun. Don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy…

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We returned to the RST this season and they did not disappoint. Everything was great.

The new lobby was spacious and quiet. The lobby bar served great drinks. I've found a new passion for Ron Barcelo Cream!

The beach was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs.

The food was great. There is no real reason to use any other restaurant than the Royal Gourmet. The service was better than last year. I do not think tipping does any good expect for giving to those who are less fortunate. The Christmas Gala dinner was exquisite.

We had a swim-up room this year and absolutely loved it. There is nothing better than having the drink lady bring drinks right up to our pool-side room. Our room was very clean and cool. Our butler was very helpful and readily available.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium? Share your experiences!