“Short Getaway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium to your Saves list
The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
ottawa
“Short Getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

On a girls 4 night getaway to the Royal Suites Turquesa. We choose this resort as it was adults only but with an option to go to a few other resorts. The initial reviews appeared to be good, and i come to Punta Cana once, sometimes twice a year. I have stayed at other adults-only as well as family resorts and will say that for what we paid, this resort does fall short as you can definately get more for your money at other resorts.

Pro's:
Resort is huge as all of the Palladium's are on the same grounds and you have access to all ammenities.

The resort is split old side/new side. The old side is attached to the main lobby and is beach front with most balconies facing the ocean and pool. Therefore most rooms on this side have nice views. I cannot comment on the new buildings that are built accross the private road from the lobby, further from the beach - but not far, that have the swim up rooms.

The 2 restaurants that are exlusive to the resort are very nicely decorated, and the food was decent. Remember you are in a developing country so expecting the same food quality like in the US/UK/CA would not be realistic.

Staff is nice, lots of staff on site and responsive to your needs. Butler staff was good as we were not expecting actual butler services but they are a convenient service to book your restaurants, ensure you have what you need in your room, and/or answer questions.

Con's

The old side rooms are in need of an upgrade for the money they are charging. you can definately get another adults only resort with much more luxury for the same amounts. The Palladium website is very misleading on the room description as the Royal suite pictures look modern and indicate there is a hydro massage shower, etc. All descriptions are the new building, not old. So we have met quite a few travellers really disapointed with their rooms.

They do not brew coffee at the lobby bar or the pool bar -which serves as a small buffet breaky in the a.m. until 9am. When i am on holidays i do not do hotel room brewed coffee with whitener, i want a real cup of coffee. I had to walk to the other resort's buffet, track down a waiter and have them grab me a cup that i could take back to my room. Room service would have brought it to me but i wasn't waiting an hour.

The pool is small for the amount of rooms at this resort. Although a small resort there are not enough palapas/chairs and therefore this morning at 7:50 a.m. all were taken. I have experienced this at other resorts so it can be a common problem so just be aware that you will need to do what everyone else does and compete for getting up earlier than others to grab a spot.

The wine in the room offered at $22+ is ridiculous. So far i have stayed at over 8 resorts in Punta Cana and this is a first. This is anti all-inclusive. If you want better wine than what they offer at the bar you can always buy a bottle at the on-site store for a few dollars cheaper.

In summary, i would not recommend this hotel as there are so many more that you can choose from that will give you more upgraded luxury for your dollar.

Two small beach front resorts on bavaro that i would recommend over this one: if you find the catolonia for the same price that will give you adults only, much more luxury, keeps the small quiet resort feel with access to a lievely family resort next door and good food and 10 minutes from the airport. If you want a little more lively and don't mind a family resort the h10 ocean blue is a good alternate as well. Restaurants are all in one area which gives a nice lively atmosphere. Restaurants are good and 2 large pools. Rooms are basic but modern and very clean. Upgrade to VIP to get the awesome beach beds, champagne service and 1 free lobster/steak dinner on the beach. If either of there are comparable in price then have a look at those before considering this resort.

Room Tip: new section not on the beach so 2nd and 3rd floor rooms overlook the pool but not ocean. they are mo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments since we use them to improve our capacity to provide better service. On regards of you appreciation of the Royal Suites Rooms, there are plans to keep refurbishing the hotel, last year the Grand Palladium Bavaro and three restaurants were completed. The highlights of the new building on the Royal Suites are the swim up rooms, and in room equipment of the showers and TV sets. Related to the coffee service, we are attending our guest’s needs and recently ordered coffee machines that grind and brew the coffee and its self service.
Once again thank you for your appreciation and point of view; there are many options to spend your vacations but we believe that our product it is a great option to visit. On behalf of the Palladium Hotel Group we look forward to host you again in a near future.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swindon England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived at The Royal Suites for a 2 week stay over Christmas and New Year.This was our second time there,having been there before the New Swim-Up section had been built.
This is where i proposed to my Wife and we wanted to relive our special time together there.
Firstly we arrived to find out my previously sent email(4 in all) had not been passed on to the Royal Suites reception.They had gone to Palladium Hotel or another point,but wern`t forwarded to right place.This meant our request to stay in Old Section was not dealt with and we were put in the Newer Swim -Up area.Even though this area is very nice and brand new, we were well away from where we requested.
We spent our 14 days walking to the main pool to be with the main crowd!!
We were looking forward to Christmas Eve,which was Gala Evening,as they celebrated Christmas Eve,rather the Christmas day.
We endured a disastrous Christmas Eve Galla Night. We had our Soup brought out,whilst we were eating our Aperitiff.This was left on the table for us to stare at, whilst we finished our Aperitiff.
Then had our Main Course brought out,whilst we were eating our Soup.They were going to leave that on the table aswell,if i hadn`t demanded they take it back.To top off what should have been a special Eve, the waiter knocked a wine glass over table and spilling it on my wife.What should have been a chilled and romantic Gala eve,where everyone dressed up special, was ruined by the service.We noticed that we were the only ones with a rushed and unprofessional service,concidering this was in the top Gourmet Resturant at the Hotel.
We also had a problem with our mini bar in our room.we filled a drinks menu on arrival and apart from the first day, we had to keep requesting the right drinks were put in our bar fridge.I Had to ask consierge 3 times and then finally had to wait for bar man to sort out why wrong drinks were being left in our room.
We noticed that the service in most resurants was considerably poorer than our last visit,with either very fast our slow service.Was this because the site is much bigger or just poor service.
Not everything was bad and this is still a very,very, nice place and my hickups just made our stay less memerable, than it should have been.
Overall a very stressful 2nd visit to Royal Suites.Should Have been special over Christmas and New Year.But we didn`t feel that at all.
This is the first time i`ve felt the need to write a bad review as we paid alot of money to stay 14 nights and we felt badly let down.

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor of New Swim Up Suites. Very nice room and very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for the time you took to comment on your stay, on behalf of the Royal Suites Turquesa Management and the Palladium Hotel Group I want to apologize for the inconvenient that you had during the Gala Dinner on Christmas, an accident can occur but please take our apologies; the food and beverage service, as you well noticed, was in a great pressure to ensure both excellent service and timing since we had to turn the restaurant 3 times for that night.
Regarding the service, in general basis, we are prepared to fulfill all our guests needs, we have a monthly schedule of training to enhance and acquire excellence. Please do not take this as an excuse because the service matter it is taken very seriously.
We look forward to have the opportunity to host you again and provide our usual fine service.
Regards from the Management.
Chambly, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a warning to all future travellers to the Royal Turquesa. When the butler brings you to your room he will advise you that there is another little fridge with 4 bottles of wine. If you take one of these bottles you will be charged $22.00 at check out. I strongly advise you to take a complete inventory with the butler if you don’t want to have the same experience I had. When I did the check out, the desk clerk said that I owed $22.00 for a bottle of wine. I advised her that we did not take any. Why would we, our package included free room service 24 hrs, therefore I could order wine at no cost via room service. The desk clerk checked further. She called me back a second time, this time she had a half empty bottle of wine and said that it came from my room. I again told her that we did not touch the wine bottles in the room. I told her that it was probably the person that occupied the room before us and inventory was not taken properly at their departure. She talk to the manager and came back and advised us that we had to pay. Having no choice we paid for the bottle. I asked the desk clerk to talk to the manager, I told him that I paid for a bottle that I did not drink, that I was upset that he did not believe us and that we would never again go to a Palladium resorts. He did not even acknowledge me. We are a 60 year old couple. We would never try to pull this type of stunt for a $22.00 bottle of wine. If we are able to pay close to 4K for a one week trip we are able to pay $22.00 for a bottle of wine. In conclusion, I recommend to all travellers; take a complete inventory, with the butler, at arrival and each day after. Check if there is 4 bottles of wine, check if the bottles are sealed and check if the bottles are full. Any discrepancy should be reported immediately or you will have a surprise at check out. For Palladium high management, it is your lost. For ½ a bottle of wine, worth $11.00, you made 2 clients very unhappy. I have no praise for the manager in fact I’m quite disappointed in his judgement. I hope that he will be reprimanded. Never again will we go to a Palladium resort. We will make sure that this scam is known to all friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Warboys, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

First viisted Sept 2011 and returned with family and friends in August 2012 both time were great ,staff were very helpful and always smiling even after working long hours. The rooms were spacious and clean and we had some great food.Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Royal Suites from Dec. 31 - Jan, 7 2013. We both loved it, and would go back to this very resort. Check in was fast, no line up, a butler walks you to your room and explains things to you. Our room was big, clean, and had a great view from our bottom floor balcony. We stayed in room 5204, it was not a swim up and I was not disappointed at all after seeing the swim ups. we stayed in the older suites by the beach, I'm not a pool person, I go on holidays for the beach and our room was close to the lobby, pool, and beach. I thought the location of our room was perfect and the view from our balcony much nicer then the swim up area rooms. Nice jet tub, large walk in shower, mini bar, maid service was very good. There is so many restaurants you can eat at a different place every night if you choose. The day after we arrived we tried to make reservations for the week for the a la carte restaurants but were told most of them were all booked up for the week except the 10:00 sittings. we were only able to book the Spanish right from the start at a decent time. I guess it didn't matter much though as we showed up to the restaurant we wanted each night, waited, and did get in to every one although had to wait awhile. They all have nice little lounges you can wait at and have a drink, its not that bad, you're on holidays relax! We ate at the Japanese, Brazilian, and steakhouse which were all very good, we liked the steakhouse the best. The Spanish was just ok. The pizza at the resort is awesome, also a good selection of food at the 24 hour sports bar. We never ordered room service but were told when we got there to expect it to take 45 minutes to arrive to your room. The whole resort's property is just beautiful and huge! So huge that at the end of the week we were still sometimes turned around and confused. There is a train and carts though that drive you around the resort, and the wait is never long for them. There is a sports centre that looked nice, a casino that was half busy, and a disco that was only busy on new year's eve, otherwise dead every night - and it only opens up late (11:00-12:00) Our lobby lounge was very quiet every night, no live music, and only about 10-20 people sitting around in it every night. Free internet at our lobby though and a nice relaxing quiet place to sit. But the other 3 lobby's were busy every night, and had live music going on. We spent every night at one of the other lobbys sitting around having drinks, was very enjoyable with listening to the local live music. Not a lot of selection on cocktails though, and didn't find too many I really liked. Drinks are all that pre mixed crap, not any fresh fruit in any cocktails, so not very good. Our lobby bar served very good iced lemonade though, had that every day, very tasty and refreshing. The beach is awesome, beautiful white soft sand, yes some seaweed, but still overall very clean. Lots of beach huts, chairs around the beach area, not hard to find a spot at anytime of the day. The vendors are at the end of the beach, about a dozen little shops set up, and yes they are very pushy when you walk by or around their shops, but at least its down to one end and they're not walking around bothering you on the beach area. Waiters on the beach to serve drinks, and at lunch someone serving pizza also. The closest bar is the pool area, not that far away from the beach. Pool area not that big and hard to find chairs, they were mostly taken every day, but again, not a pool person so wasn't bothered by it. We went on a private tour, they took us to some nice sites such a Macau beach, if you are a beach lover great place to see and take pictures on. Went on one excusrion, the VIP Boogie Adventures, that was a lot of fun and again got to go to another nice beach at Cap Cana and an underground cave which was a beautiful site and you could go swimming in it. It was very windy always down by the water the whole week we were there, water was rough. Not sure if its like that all the time, but so windy couldn't sit right by the water for long, the wind would bother me after an hour or so. But further up on beach is not as windy so we moved there every day. Weather was great, got cloudy for a few hours but always seemed to clear up and sun was out every day. Evenings were warm and great. Buffets were good too, yes some of the food is cold and unedible, but seriously this is to be expected at an AI resort on their buffets. There is always something good to eat you will like so why complain! The only real negative thing to say is that both my husband and I landed up with some stomach issues. Next time we will for sure take the proper medication for travelling to try and prevent this as it did effect the fun my husband had on the trip. Any questions just give me a shout, will answer anything.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
wales,uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this resort in May 2012 - we are both late twenties. I'm ashamed that I have taken so long to write a review as this resort is simply amazing!! The price you pay for what is icluded is great plus we spent next to no money while we were there!

The resort is huge so quite a lot of walking however there is a train regularly circulating the grounds and golf buggies will take u anywhere u need to go! I hate long reviews so will sum this resort up as follows:-

FOOD - AMAZING AND LOTS OF CHOICE AT ALL RESTAURANTS

POOL - LOVELY & CLEAN

BEACH - BEAUTIFUL

ROOMS - CLEAN & LUXURIOUS

STAFF - MOSTLY FRIENDLY BUT SOMETIMES RUDE BUT IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS SO WHAT?! THINK THIS WAS DUE TO LANGUAGE BARRIER SO ITS ADVISABLE TO LEARN SPANISH - WE LEARNT THE IMPORTANT WORDS LIKE 'BEER'!

Ignore bad reviews - I'm just as fussy as the next person but why people are so uptight when on holiday baffles me! Jusy chill out, relax and enjoy! I would highly recommend this resort you will not be dissapointed! Enjoy!!

• Stayed May 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We just returned from a vacation over the New Year at the Royal Suites Turquesa and unfortunately were not satisfied. We were a group of two family's totaling 9-adults located in two different buildings? Of the 9-of us half of us loss 1-2 days with gastric distress, ths naturally was my biggest complaint. I found the resort to be large but beautiful with about 98% of the staff extremely helpful. The least helpful and down right rude were the lobby staff, both at the front desk and lobby bar area. These folks acted as if you were a burden when asking for info or a drink, a smile with your short answers would have gone a long way! Part of my gastric issue could have come from unknowingly eating from the open can of nuts left behind by the previous guest... The peanuts were complimentary and in the mini-fridge and when I took the can out and starting eating them I assumed that my wife openned the can and was naturally grossed out when I found out she did not.

My first morning there I went through the lobby to the beach to reserve chairs. Upon walking through the lobby the bar was open with coffee and a continental breakfast but when I returned in 10-minutes it was closed down and lights off? When I asked the front desk where the coffee went I was told it only opens early for 1-hour, 6-7 and then it closes and opens again later and that I would have to walk to the nearest restaurant, about a football field in distance to get coffee? I've never stayed at a hotel or resort where morning coffee wasn't available all morning.

I can't say enough about the hard working wait staff throughout the resort. I saw one smiling guy at 7:00 one morning when I went there for my coffee and when we went back for dinner he was still there and still smiling, wow, a far cry from the lobby bar staff. If you read any of my other reviews, especially last years great review of Ocean Blue and Sand you know I don't take shots that aren't deserving. We opted to go here this year and pay more instead if the proven Ocean Blue and Sand because we were with a larger group who wanted an all adult resort, I wish I could be more positive but the facts above prevent me from being so.

One of my favorite phases should be used here, "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware) Again I'm sorry to be so negative but I spent over $8,000 for my family of two rooms and my daughters cost to be in the third room and did not get what I paid for in service or quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments, also for spending your valuable vacations with us.
Looking into the details regarding the personnel of Bar and Front desk we have in place a “on the job training” performed by the management.
The exclusive Royal Gourmet Restaurant its not to close from the villas indeed, we have snacks from 06:00hrs until late night in our Royal Suites Turquesa Bars and Restaurants.
We look forward to host you again in a near future, our goal it is to achieve excellence therefore we thank you again for your time to write your comment.
Great regards from the Grand Palladium Punta Cana Complex Management.

Been to The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium? Share your experiences!