“Great 30th Anniversary Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium to your Saves list
Orbitz.com amextravel.com
The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle El Cortecito | Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Newfoundland, Pennsylvania
“Great 30th Anniversary Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I visited Royal Suites Turquesa to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary from October 28 to November 4. We had a wonderful time, it is hard to believe that our experiences just get better and better. As we traveled as Travel Club members, some of the things in this report may be different than what non members may experience...especially check in and airport transportation. The overall service, however, is consistent to all guests and my comments reflect my experiences and observations.

PRE-TRIP CONCIERGE: Carmen, the VLO for the Travel Club in Punta Cana, provided me with pre trip concierge. I wanted to surprise my wife with a romantic dinner on the beach and Carmen made all of the arrangements for me before we ever arrived. Additionally, she arranged for three musicians to arrive during our dinner. I had requested to have the dinner take place on Monday, the day after we arrived, and knew I wouldn't be able to make any of these plans at the resort without my wife's knowledge. Carmen's communication with me and work on my behalf resulted in a truly unforgettable experience for my wife and me. Many thanks to Carmen for her care, dedication, and professionalism.

AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION: The travel club arranged for and provided private transportation for us. We arrived at the airport 3 1/2 hours late because our flight had been delayed, but that didn't matter. Our transportation was ready and waiting for us. They quickly loaded our luggage into the van and whisked us on our way. Transportation was provided by HotelBeds and the driver was professional. For our return to the airport, the driver arrived right on time...three hours before we were to take off. Transportation services provided by the Travel Club were definitely well handled.

CHECK IN: We had private check in at the Travel Club office, rather than in the main hotel lobby. When our van arrived, the building looked dark and I was a little nervous. It was obviously after business hours for the club. All of a sudden, out came two people to greet us...literally with open arms. Roser, who we had first met in Riviera Maya and Carmen, who had provided pre-arrival concierge came out to greet us very warmly. Seeing Roser was like seeing family. After opening a bottle of champagne and having a toast, Roser proceeded to go about the check in. Of course, two Travel Club employees staying late to welcome us was not enough...Joel showed up shortly to introduce himself. He pulled me aside and we spoke briefly about the musicians. He and Carmen arranged to have the musicians arrive when we finished our main course and before dessert was served, which of course worked like clockwork. We really felt like these outstanding people went over the top above and beyond to welcome us. After we received our bracelets and room keys, and were then taken to our room

ROOM: We stayed in room number 5909, which is a swim up Cabaña suite. When we arrived, the room was clean and beautifully prepared for us. There was a fruit plate, plate of chocolates, and bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. When we went into the bedroom, there was a beach bag gift from the Travel Club as well. The room was great, closed concept bathroom, nice separate living room, and a large bedroom. Having direct access to the pool off of the living room was such a treat and so enjoyable. Truthfully, we didn't spend much time in the room except to sleep or swim, but it sure was luxurious.

STAFF: I have read complaints on Trip Advisor about the staff, but my wife and I never experienced any negative resort staff. The employees in Punta Cana have huge hearts and are so welcoming and friendly. Space would not allow me to sing the praises of these men and women, but there are several that stood out from the crowd. Roser, Carmen, and Joel did so much to make our stay fun and relaxing. The poolside waitress, Maribel, was an absolute sweetheart. Denis, the waitress in the Travel Club section of the beach became our new adopted daughter. These two women have hearts the size of all outdoors. Finally, the men and women from the Gourmet Restaurant were outstanding. While I can't remember all their names, Carolina, Claribel, and Nilza were just like family. My wife cried our last breakfast when we were saying our goodbyes. We always felt welcomed and loved when we went to eat. I can't believe that there is a better team of staff anywhere...from the top down so committed to their guests and there satisfaction and at the same time with such warm and genuinely big hearts.

RESORT IN GENERAL: The resort is absolutely huge and beautifully maintained. The staff is always working to clean and keep this mammoth resort well manicured. We spent very little time away from the Royal Suites section. The beach was beautiful, although it was often a challenge to find a free palapa as we tended to go to the beach in the afternoon.. We were always able to find space in the Travel Club section which made beach time much more relaxing...no hurrying to make sure we had a chair early in the morning. We were able to show up in the afternoon and still find a shady place.

TRANSPORTATION AROUND THE RESORT: Although the resort offers a train that carries guests around the resort, guests at Royal Suites also receive golf cart transportation from place to place. We frequently made use of this service to get from one end of the resort to another for dinner reservations or to shop or visit the Sports Bar. We would either go to the Royal lobby and request a golf cart or ask someone to call for one for us. It really made getting around the resort very easy and quick.

FOOD AND DRINK: The food in all of the restaurants we visited was great. The best, of course was the Romantic Dinner on the beach. We also ate two nights at Le Chanterelle (my personal favorite), 1 night at Bamboo, 1 night at El Quiote, and two nights at the Gourmet Restaurant. The Gourmet restaurant is also open for breakfast and lunch as an a la carte restaurant and is exclusively for the guests of Royal Suites. The food, of course, was delightful. At breakfast they make fresh fruit juices...and the juice is sooo good. The service at all of the restaurants was efficient and comprehensive. The way the team works together in the Gourmet Restaurant is like watching a ballet. Every member has a role that they play and they work together to provide an excellence of service. In between meals or late at night, the Sports Bar is open and serves food 24 hours per day. We made the trip once after an excursion as we arrived back at the resort too late for lunch in the restaurants and my wife wanted some lunch. As a last resort, there is always room service, but the food was so good in the restaurants and despite being a picky eater, I was always able to find something good to eat.

I can't wait for our vacations next year. My only regret about this vacation was that it was for only one week. Next year I hope to spend two weeks at Royal Suites Turquesa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,807 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Royal Suites Turquesa (10/27/2012 - 11/03/2012).
Check in went very quickly. Enjoyed the cool champagne. Upgraded to a swim up room. I was concerned about being on the first floor, but once we checked in my concerns disapeared. I am not a "pool person", but I did enjoy the swim up room and the drink service at the pool.
We were in building 58 and yes, we could hear traffic and childrens voices from the adjoining property, but it was not a problem for us.
The golf cart service exclusively for use by RST guests was VERY nice as the resort is very large when you include the entire Palladium complex to which you have access. We never had a problem getting a cart. Since two of us in our group have knee issues the carts were a blessing. We visited every pool in the complex and actually enjoyed the RST pool the most. Beach front was clean and chairs were plentiful (off season).
We ate at several of the restaraunts & buffets. Food was plentiful, good, but not outstanding. Room service was prompt, but a challange. We ordered the Royal breakfast with scrambled eggs, baccon, danish, two coffee and on hot chocolate. Much to our surprise we were delivered three plates of eggs, two heaping plates of baccon AND sausage, two plates with five assorted danish, eight slices of toast, four glasses of orange juice, two POTS of coffee, a POT of hot milk for the coco and a container of coco that would make enough drinks for everyone on our floor. We felt very wasteful when most of the food was put back on the tray for pick up, but it was way too much food for three people.
The people at the resort (the entire Palladium facility) were very friendly and helpful. We did have a few communication issues when trying to get a blanket and when ordering a pasta sauce without meat. I think our room service breakfast was also a communication issue. We happend to be in our room when the mini bar was being stocked. At that time we told him that we would like three waters and three cokes. The mini bar was stocked to our request. The next day I left a five in the fridge and when we came back to our room the fridge was stuffed with waters and cokes!
Wonderful experience - don't forget to try a coco loco!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Canfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went here on our honeymoon! Wonderful resort, great food, great service, beach access, beautiful! Would come back and stay here again! Lots of different restaurants. Rooms were beautiful. We had a room that went right out to the pool. Beautiful location!

• Stayed October 2012
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We normally do not stay at 5 star resorts but since we were traveling with another couple and she did all the research we went for it. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold glass of champagne and a cool towel to wipe off with. Just what we needed after 8 hours of air travel. We were checked in quickly. I wish we would have been told of upgrading to a swim up room cause I sure would have done. The couple we were with asked and were upgraded so we did enjoy their swim up room our first night there. After checking in we were told our butler would escort us to our room. I went to the bathroom while my husband waited for the butler. Well, a man working for the resort approached him. He assumed he was the butler as did I. Wow, we were wrong. He was a salesman trying to sell a time share I think. We wasted 20 minutes of our time before we figured out he was not the butler. We were NOT happy. Our butler was quietly standing their waiting for him to finish his pitch. Our butler, Triana, finally took us to our room. She was very sweet and willing to help. Upon entering our room she told us about the bar. She said if you empty a bottle make sure to put it back up on the shelf or else you will be charged for it if it is missing so don't remove it from the room. (Glad she told us that. The other couple we were with placed an empty bottle in the trash and they tried to charge them for it when we left.) She also told us how to use room service and the A/C. We ordered room service as soon as she left because we were starving. The beef filet we ordered was good. The salads not so good. Our room was VERY clean and was kept clean during our entire visit. The staff came in 2 or 3 times a day and straightened and cleaned up. I so enjoyed the jetted tub in the room. Spent lots of time on the beach. I love ocean water over pools so next time I would stay in an ocean view room to be closer to my favorite place. The sand was great. The water great. Didn't like being so close to the local vendors. Once you crossed the rope line or like my husband called it "the gun line", you were attacked by locals. We walked like 10 feet before returning to the resort. I would have loved to check out their stores but hate being attacked to go into a store. So, they didn't get my business. Drinks were readily available but inconsistent between bars. I do not like rum so is a little more difficult to find a good drink. I never did find a good margarita. Had a great drink at the bar between the Rodizo restraunt and the Japanesse restraunt. Tried a cocoa loco (yes it contains rum) but it was so yummy. Tried at a lobby bar and it was terrible. Food was typical for a AI resort. We LOVED the Japanesse restraunt. Also had good food at the Brazilian grill and the Mediterinean restraunt. Biggest complaint about food was it was difficult to find especially if you missed the buffet hours. The Sports Bar had good food but was on the other side of the resort. Entertainment was also lacking on this side of the resort. The other 2 lobbies had great live music but the Royal Suites lobby had none. Would have been nice if we had been given a print out of all entertainment at all the resorts upon our arrival. This way we wouldn't have spent so much time looking for stuff to do. I feel we probably missed lots of things because of this. Always remember a tip goes a long way.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a swim up room is a must if you like pool swimming. Tips go a long ways.
Ontario Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've been to the Grand Palladium Punta Cana before and enjoyed it immensely, I easily would have given it a five star rating then. That was in 2009.
This time, not so much. First off we originally booked the Punta Cana but upon arrival we were taken to the Palace which is right beside it. There were six of us left on the bus coming from the airport and just my husband and I were on our honeymoon and had paid extra for a Junior Suite. Upon arriving at the Palace we were all told that we were being upgraded to the Royal Suites Turquesa - which initially we all thought was pretty cool.
But for us, after day one it was disappointing. Our room was nice, but we weren't given any other perks for being on our honeymoon, we saw others with signs on their doors and the other couple that travelled from the airport with us, got a better room and they paid less than us to go there. I've stayed in the Junior Suite at the Punta Cana and the rooms are comparable.
I don't normally complain after a trip because I feel very fortunate to be able to travel and am happy with just being there, but I guess I just expected more from my honeymoon, especially when I've spent WAY more money at a time of year that isn't when I normally travel south - we generally go at peek times, generally in March.
Personally I wouldn't put the extra money out for the Royal Suites, there's a lot of work to be done for it to reach the five star it's supposed to be. I just thought we were scammed from the get go, being told that we were being upgraded with no explanation and to find out that it's because the Punta Cana was shut down for renovations.

The food was alright and we always found something to eat and of course the drinks were great as was the beach.
Another problem and it wasn't just us that had it, we had stomach problems the whole week and still have them and we've been home for three days. We didn't drink the water and used our bottled water to brush our teeth.

And I wanted to write a review to warn people of the casino, just don't go. SCAMMERS. If it sounds to good to be true, it's because it is.

I guess I just had higher expectations of my honeymoon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

First off , we go on loads of holidays and have stayed in loads of nice places , however this place is the mutts nuts !
There was nothing here that I could fault , the room , the hotel , the staff , the service , the food etc etc etc was all top drawer , this place truly is the real deal . In my opinion this place offers the best value for money pound for pound in the whole of the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean resorts . We loved it !

Room Tip: We stayed in a block which had swim up pool rooms .
Milton, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just an all around great experience! We traveled here for our honeymoon & it was well worth it. It was our first time in Punta Cana so wasn't sure what to expect but it blew us away. We've since been to Riviera Maya & prefer Punta Cana 10 to 1.

Started out in the new section for the first couple days of our two week trip. Our room was good but had an unexpected leak over the bathroom. My wife was pretty pissed because it got all of her cosmetics wet. The hotel more than made up for it. Rony in the preferred section upgraded us to the Presidential Suite. What a room!!! 3 floors of pure bliss! Main floor has a wonderful King bed, HUGE bathroom with seperate rooms for shower, vanity & toilet & also a dining table area. Patio off the first floor is wraparound corner balcony that is a stones throw from the ocean. 2nd floor is kinda of a half floor with a lounge area with TV. Steps leading to 3rd floor & balcony that is just out of a postcard. The balcony has a 6 person hot tub with amazing views of the ocean. This room is ridiculous. The only complaint is that the A/C was little weak but this room is on the older side of the resort.

Food is also to die for! All the restaurants have great food. Nothing bad to say about any of them but didn't really care for the Brazilian style. Normally the buffet is just average at most places but the preferred club buffet restaurant is decadent. Hosting all sorts of vegetables, pastas, meats, caviar, bakery items. The crazy thing is that not only do you get all that stuff but they serve you a regular meal as well. Lunch menu items include duck, pork chops, angus burgers & dinner items include lobster, filet mignon & many others! You definitely wanna try out the other themed restaurants but I wouldn't stray to far from the preferred restaurant.

Beach is amazing. Soft sand & crystal blue water. Only thing is the preferred side is right next to the vendors. They have a rope & once you cross that rope you're fair game to be hassled & talked into buying knick knacks & all sorts of stuff. For the most part the people are really good especially the guy who owns the second shop gave us some great deals on cigars, cigarettes & other things.

Oh yeah, each room has a stock of Liquor. An off brand whiskey & vodka along with a Bombay sapphire & cuervo tequila. If you take those four bottles over to the shops they'll trade you for two or three of their best Rums (I would recommend Barcelo Imperial) which you can drink or take home. Obviously their rum is great in the Dominican & is well worth the trade for cheap Whiskey & Vodka (which you can get at the hotel anyway).

The resort is humongous & very spread out so you have to take a golf cart trolley to get to the far side resort & the Mexican/Italian/Seafood restaurants. As a preferred guest you mainly stay to your side anyway only straying to eat at the various restaurants. Free computers/internet in the preferred lounge too!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Presidential Suite & it doesn't get better than that!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ltajes, Manager at The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, we are in the pursuit for the excellence. Regards from the Management.

Been to The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium? Share your experiences!