“Beware- would NOT advise taking this excursion!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 28 things to do in La Romana
Forked River, New Jersey
“Beware- would NOT advise taking this excursion!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We booked this excursion through Scuba Doo representative Lou (along the beach) at Punta Cana. At first we were comfortable doing this as we have visited the Dominican Republic over 15 times. We asked many questions, just to make sure it was a good trip for us, was told we woulde be riding along the beach- NOT TRUE!!!!! It was the usual, along the streets, back roads, sugar can planations, etc.... Got to the Macao Crazy Wheels, all seemed fine, wanted to ride ATV's......one of them was not working properly, so two from our party had to take a dune buggy....Almost immediately after turning down a dirt road, my partner and I (on the same ATV) hit a pole head on. We were both hurt, when I told the guide to get my husband, who was ahead of us, he said OK.....The guide never told my husband we were in an accident, he was only concerned that the rest our the tour proceed as normal. The brakes on the ATV were not working properly, guide adamantly denied this.....Guide then took me to my husband in a dune buggy, where I was tended to by a really nice Dominican family....My husband requested a private taxi, as we wanted to get back to our resort ASAP because of my injuries...again he said OK, not OK, bus came and touok us back to Macao Crazy Wheels because we had to wait for the rest of the people who rode the bus with us to finish their tour. To me, this is insane and poor business practice. But being outside of the USA, we had no choice but to go along with what they said.....The next day I approached Lou and his partner on the beach about the accident. I was told that it was our fault, because the driver of my ATV was driving erratically and trying to pass the other ATV's and buggys....AGAIN, NOT TRUE as our ATV as the last one in the group- so there were NO vehicles for us to pass....It was a miracle we were not more seriously injured or killed.
I have done extensive searches on social media sites and the web to find these two businesses- Macao Crazy Wheels and Scuba Doo tours with no success.....I suspect they do not put themselves out there to avoid negative feedback.
When booking tours, I STRONGLY advise fellow travellers not to do it through vendors who walk the beaches of the resorts. These people are NOT associated with the hotels in any way, shape or form. They take the receipts once you pay in full, leaving you with no information on them. Their main concern is to make money, and NOT the safety or well being of tourists. Only book excursions through the representatives at your hotel or resort. Do not allow them to lure you into it, as I did..

Visited November 2013

Miami
3 attraction reviews
“Very fun ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this ride through the cruise. (If you are on a cruise i highly suggest you do it early cause it sells out quick.) The ride was fairly long but very scenic. I suggest you take goggle cause the dust is terrible. At the mid point you stop and a restaurant where you can wash yourself off eat fruits, drink at the bar or jump in their pool. The tour was very fun although the buggy broke down a couple of times. (battery problems). I still recommend it.

Visited August 2013
O'Fallon, Missouri
17 attraction reviews
“Dune buggy broke down twice!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We booked our Crazy Wheels excursion at the Apple concierge desk at Dreams La Romana. We had several families tell us how much fun they had on this excursion. I didn't realize they had booked with another company!!

We departed Dreams....got 2 minutes away from the resort and the van pulled over. We had to get into a car to take us to Crazy Wheels. I thought this was very shady. Our driver didn't speak much English, so I am not sure why we switched vehicles. Once at Crazy Wheels, we had to wait over 30 minutes before others arrived. The staff recommended that we purchase bandanas and sunglasses to protect our faces from the dirt and mud. (We had been told that we would have goggles. In hindsight, we realized that was with another company). After about 45 minutes, other guests arrived. We took off and went through the villages. This was a lot of fun! This is also where my dune buggy first broke down. No biggie...we were close by Crazy Wheels! We had the opportunity to see how families live in this country. We drove thru a Haitian village too. Haitians work the sugar cane fields and live nearby. They don't have much at all. The kids were begging for clean bottled water. Luckily, we had brought about 8 bottles to give out! Then we went to the sugar cane fields. We stopped for fresh sugar cane and pepsi. The staff used a machette to cut it up. I am pretty sure it was not sanitary. Oh well....it tasted pretty good. We then had to pull over and wait 30 minutes for the people on the 4 wheelers to come and switch out for the dune buggies. I was really not happy about that. It was steamy hot and we were sitting directly in the sun. The kids (and I) just wanted to get back to Dreams! Once we made the switch, it was just my family with a tour guide. This is when my dune buggy broke down a second time. I was with my 7 year old son. We sat, stranded, for over five minutes before anyone realized we weren't following behind. I was very upset about this. I didn't feel safe. We stopped by a little village store which served fresh fruit and shopped a little. By this time, I was ready to get a shower and get in the pool at our resort.

If you choose to book Crazy Wheels....remember to bring sunglasses and a bandana. You may also want to bring some bottled water and candy for the kids you will see in the village. You will get dirty and wet. All in all it was an ok experience....my favorite part was seeing the villages and getting a better look at the country.

Visited June 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Awesome way to get LOCAL; WHAT A BLAST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

we stayed in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic at the Viva Wyndham Palace resort (i am writing a separate review on the resort shortly) and booked the Crazy Wheels excursion through our excursion manager at the resort. WHAT A BLAST!!

i can tell you that my wife and i are VERY SEASONED travelers. not only looking for the best deals, but the best experiences as well. we're very open minded and very appreciative of those entities and businesses that go out of their way for the customer, since we also work in separate customer focused/sales industries.

that being said, the Crazy Wheels buggy and ATV tour in Bayahibe/La Romana Dominican Republic is likely THE FUNNEST excursion i've ever been on; and i've been on nearly 2 dozen in my lifetime (maybe more).

starting with the purchase of the package from our resort excursion manager, i felt like we were getting the best deal because we were owners of Wyndham vacations (10% discount). for my wife and myself it was about $120 U.S. paid by credit card (for 2 people).

the company picks you up at your resort promptly at 8am local time in the morning along with other participants from other resorts in the area (included). the bus ride is about 30 mins to where the ATVs and Buggy's are located. once there, a quick tutorial of the ATVs a buggys.

TIP ALERT: you SHOULD bring goggles or at the very least wrap around sun glasses. the dust will definitely get to you. also, if you're staying at a resort with fancy cloth napkins that can double as bandannas, bring those too; else bring a legitimate bandanna of your own. bandannas are sold on site, but the prices are obviously elevated.

the total group will be divided into two. first group will commence with the buggys and the second group will commence with the ATVs. it wont matter which group you start out with since the trails are timed and mapped out perfectly.

TIP ALERT: depending on the weather that day or prior, be prepared to get DIRTY! it rained the heavily the day before so we had pockets of shear mud and puddles which made it very very fun!

the tour will take you to the base of Rio Chavon which is cool, then up to a banana farm ranch where there is a little souvenir shop that has all the tourist stuff you can get at any tourist trap shop. you will also SWITCH in the middle of the tour to alternate with the other group and experience equal time with different scenery on either ATV and Buggy. i felt like this was done with great precision to timing.

TIP ALERT: please be aware that the Dominican Republic is a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY. they served free mango and banana on this excursion which my wife sampled out in the "country", however the fruits were washed in local water which ultimately rendered many of our co-excursionists VERY SICK with amoebic Dysentery including my wife for at least 3 days. please be careful anywhere in this country with the water, ice, how things are washed, etc.

the excursion also has a few stops along the way to a sugar cane field where they chopped up a sugar cane for all of us in the group to sample which was AWESOME (no washing necessary). i've NEVER tried a more succulent, sweet, and juicy piece of sugar cane right out of the ground before.

at the end of it all, as with any excursion, you're expected to tip. we definitely tipped out tour guide Sandy and his crew because it seemed they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and safe in an otherwise third world country 'scenario'. make no mistake, this is a VERY PROFESSIONAL excursion with your safety in mind (with the exception of the fruit washed in local water). we would definitely go again.

after the entire half day (which seemed like longer because of the different stops and sight seeing you do), you get back on the big red Crazy Wheels bus, and the shuttle you all back to your individual resorts.

well done, i say...well done!

Visited July 2013
nyc
“Fun experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great ride around the sugar cane fields. Thanks to the staff for guiding us during our ride. We used the 4 wheelers and boogie cars in the mud

Visited July 2013