and 1 more site!
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Ctra. San Pedro - La Romana Km. 12, La Romana 21000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in La Romana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Had a great time here, stayed the first week of February. We flew in to Punta Cana so we had the hour and half bus ride to the resort, which I don't mind as you get to see some of the country and towns. Also there was about 10 of us so it was a small bus and got to to talk to the people who would be at the resort for the week. Check in went well, friendly and efficient. There was a small problem with our room we had requested a king size bed, with ocean view and ended up getting 2 queen beds, with no ocean view, but there was two ladies who were checking in with us and I think they got our rooms so we just switched with them, problem solved and made some friends out of it! The resort itself is beautiful, the landscaping was great. The room was spacious and very clean. If you a bath person get some bath bombs, big tub with jets!
The beach/pool area was good, only had a problem one day finding some chairs, no the water isn't clear but I had no problem with this as I grew up swimming in lakes, I didn't have any problem with flies/wasp while I was there, I few mosquito bites, but nothing out of the norm. I enjoyed the A la carte's went to Le Gourmet, seafood, steak house and BBQ. Don't book one on Wednesday, as the buffet is a Gala theme, lot's of seafood. The BBQ one was kind a lame, went to the main buffet for desert after. Two times, my boyfriend didn't get what he ordered, they didn't say anything and just brought him whatever. He was a good sport about this, because what he ended up with was good. The bar closes a little early 11p.m maybe if they stayed open till midnight that would be good, but the main lobby bar is close by, whoever said it was a 10 min walk is crazy or has no concept of time.Overall we had a great time, I would recommend this place in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed it, it was our 1st time at the Don Pablo collection, but second stay at a Grand Bahia property( went to one in Mexico) and will considered the brand for our next vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed near the lobby and was able to pick up the Wi-fi there.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Mia,

It truly delights us to know that you took the time to share your experience during your last vacation in our Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection.

It is a great pleasure for us to know that you really enjoyed our a la carte restaurants .

We will be delighted to welcome you again in our Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection.

Kindest regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Dominican Republic.

Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The resort is a beautiful place with wonderful rooms and lobby areas. The buffet was excellent as well as Le Gourmet restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful whenever needed. The ocean water was not as clear as in some areas, but was very calm and great for swimming.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience during your last vacation in our Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection.

It is a great pleasure for us to know that you really enjoyed the excellent our staff services.

We will be a glad to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

gonna keep this simple, it was FANTASTIC.
after two weeks there, they still had things I had not seen or experienced. did no excursions, and the weather was perfect. I never seen a mosquito or sand flea (but my wife had a lot of bites) or jelly fish, and I was in the water and in the pool. Service everywhere was good, including on the beach and room service. shows were very good too, especially the comedy show. drinks were varied, and not watered down. no one standing with their hands out, too busy working. service in the buffets at breakfast was sad, just bring us hot coffee and water and we would have been very happy, it was like we were invisible. there were some annoying times when the flies at the beach and the pool would bother us, but not enough that I would not go back. my wife was sick first couple of days, and that never happened at other resorts we have been to. French restaurant the best, Italian the worst. get an extra key card and leave it in the slot for all day air conditioning, my best advice. get up before 10 and you will get a nice place on the beach or by the pool. lots of space for all. management best I ever seen. they really treat their people well and its reciprocated by their hard work and dedication 95%. (except my hot coffee in the a.m.) there is a coffee machine by the main bar that makes 12 different kinds of hot drinks, use it, it works. Oh, there is beach venders to the right and they have some excellent prices and merchandise, very friendly people. Get a massage with Mary-lou, its worth it. went to the spa as well, fantastic pedicure, but they talked to each other when they work. Not such a biggie. The reflexology was nice there too, but not worth 3x the pedicure. at least that was quiet. The grounds are wonderful, well treed and taken care of. beach waters visibility depth is 4 inches. there is sea weed, but it felt nice on my feet. some small rocks.

Room Tip: top floor not looking at other buildings was nice
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience in our Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection with all Tripadvisor users.

We appreciate your kind words on the Entertainment Team and your acknowledgement of their enthusiasm and willingness to amuse all different guests.

We highly appreciate your positive comments and we take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, best all inclusive in the Dominican Republic.

Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is my opinion only! Some points to consider.
I was sorry to see so many people fall ill ( and I am thankful it wasn't us), but feel we must give the alternative options to "bad food". My wife and I we there from Feb 2 to Feb 9. Neither of us were sick and we ate and drank at the same spots as others. We spoke with many that were violently sick, and many that were not. Some were there for 2 and 3 weeks with no issues.
Here is a common thread....one group of 10 had 8 fall ill. They were travelling everywhere together or always exposed to each other. Another guest said that on her Canjet flight, everyone that was sick seemed to come from rows 20 to row 30 on the same plane. Think about this. We all know that the plane is recycling the air and it only takes one contagious person to spread the flu?! You are literally trapped for over 4 hrs. Confined and exposed to a Norwalk like virus would take up to 48 hrs incubation period. Another common complaint after being sick was total exhaustion. This is not usually a symptom of food poisoning. Yes, your stomach will hurt from heaving, but you will still be able to get out of bed and function the day after. It was also overheard that some were having symptoms before arriving, so they may have been the carrier?
Also, remember common sense. If something doesn't look fully cooked....don't eat it. You wouldn't eat it at home, so don't eat it there. Undercooking can happen on your own BBQ.

As for the Luxury Bahia Bouganville....it's new. Clean. Friendly and relaxing. If you want a quiet vaca to just eat, drink and just relax....this is the place. They cannot do enough for you, and are always asking if everything is ok?! If it isn't, then it is rectified immediately.

To the review about the "water on the floor and moving to a smaller room??" You mention the Mgr Claudia? I think you posted in the wrong resort portion? At the LUXURY - adult only section there is no person named Claudia and ALL the rooms are identical suites. They couldn't have put you in a smaller room?! I apologize if I'm incorrect, but one of the chambermaids had told me that all the rooms were identical with the exception of 1 king or 2 dble beds in them. Loved the 42" flat screen with satellite and English speaking channels while getting ready for dinner.

Anyhow..... You decide. It's just not fair to this Resort to assume 100% that it was a food issue. We can't wait to return!! ( we also hope that all that were sick, have recovered!). We met some terrific people there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for these kind words that you have shared and also for appreciate the excellent services of our hotel.

We will be delighted to welcome you again in our Grand Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection in Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I always write a review following our trips so here goes.
We travelled from Feb 2-Feb 9, We had done our usual research prior to choosing this resort and all seemed well and proved to be true
True- there are alot of flies and wasps- in the pool as well they pinch!!!
True- the beach is not the typical blue clear water
True- it is very quiet- but if you want activity go to the other resort
True- no issues with finding a chair at the pool or at the beach.
True lobby beautiful
True- buffet great (we did not do any a la carts)
True- Casino small
Never up long enough for disco or shows

Positives:
- Majority of staff were great- Ramone at the lobby bar, Fransico at main buffet. And I must mention Manuela adn Mario the managers on the resort. They were everywhere, checking, arranging, speaking with travellers constantly checking in (this was before, during and after what seemed to be a widespread virus going around the resort, whcih I will get into later)
- Staff did not seem to care whether you tipped or not service was still great, but really people-- do you not tip in your own communities!!! The staff work incredible hours and are supposed to be happy and smiling all the time or we as travellers complian:(
- The rooms were spectacular- we did ask for a top room as well but we were placed on the second floor. The cleanliness was awesome, our room maid did a remarkable job room 53124!!!!
- Air Canada staff down and back were also great.
- Check in at airport was effortless, we could learn something from the efficiencies at ariports. We were off the plane trhough customs and our suitcases were already off loaded.
- Bus ride was quick, highways are amazing (so much better than our 401). Be aware they do pass the resort on the highway, turn around 3 minutes up the highway and double back (they did not build an exit at the hotel).
- Canadian night was really nice- both managers were ther greeting everyone, taking pictures
- Managment appreciation night was held- seemed to be well attended (we missed this though due to sickness)

Areas to improve:
- Trying to find which bus you are on could be improved- perhaps alphabetize the packages and have one rep have A-L, and the other Rep have M-Z.
- Have in the packages all forms that we had to line up to get once at the hotel reception. This would expedite the check in process. Or at least have these packages also in alphbetical order.
- There is no Canadian Whiskey on the resort- except on Canadian night (usually Fridays in the garden Grill). Mario (manager) is trying to get it added to the reort menu as many Canadians complained.
- The mini bar in the room is supposed to have 1- rum, 1 vodka, 1 scotch and 1 whisky stocked. Although re stocked daily we only had 1 vodka, 1 rum, all others stocked were scotch (not our favorite), but not life altering (go to duty free on your way to get what you want ot have in your room). Not sure why Wine cannot be in the mini bars- its free flowing everywhere, but not in mini bars, strange
-Internet access in lobby- firstly ASK someone 9we did not) you DO GET 1 HR FREE) but you have to scroll on your own device to find the free link!!!
- We did buy internet cards to use in the lobby at their computers- BUT beware the minutes you buy are not cummulative, so 60 minutes for 8$ means if you start at 9 your time is done at 10 (even if you only used 5 minutes)
- You have seen from many posts during this timelime that many travellers became ill. My husband included (36 hrs). It seemed to rang from 12 hrs- 36 hours. Vomiting, diarrhea, incredible abdominal cramps, some had chills and fever as well.
-- first the maids were amazing- I simply found her, asked for water, fresh towels and toilet paper which she supplied and I asked for privacy expaling he was sick. She was amazing.
-- I reported to our Air Canada rep- who reproted to the hotel
-- We were called from guest services asking how he was, did he need anything and asked many questions trying to get to the bottom of what was going on
-- Manuela and Mario seemed truly concerned about all the sickness- now I get they dod not want bad publicity- but honestly I witnessed so much cleaning, checking, attention to so many details, they were trying everything (stopped adding fruit to drinks, checking temperature of food, testing ice cubes, pool etc etc). They seemed truly baffled.
--- What we did notice; as travellers we are just as much to blame as well- we witnessed people refusing to use the hand sanatizers entering food establishments- picking up food with hands -not using the tongs supplied, leave bathrooms and not wash hands. I believe this was some sort of virus. We are very careful travellers and after 12 years of travelling this is the first widespread issue we have seen.
-- We were amazed at the amount of travellers who did not have basic items- imodium, gravol, tylenol etc. These are so expensive to buy on a resort
--We did visit the on site medical clinci- the MD was thorough, did not have to do much as my husbands symptoms were pretty much over. The hosiptal you pass on the way into the resort is not where you would go if you require a hosiptal (we were covered insurance wise to go and have tests done to determine what was going on) but you have to go to Santa Domingo (30 minutes away) we opted to pay at the clinic not go, took his anitbiotics and advice (eat brown bread, potatoe, plain rice, drink lots of water, no spicy, no oil, no fruiut/vegetables).
- We tried to book our return seats through Air Canada the day prior to leaving- there site was ndown for maintenance!!!! called on hold for 40 minutes- gave up.
- We tried to leave the resort as my husband felt so aweful during the V&D, our rep could do noting for us other than get us on another carrier plane which meant 2 full ticket prices!!. We were disappointed at the lack of options.

Long winded- but we use these reviews to choose our destinations- hope this helps you.
Bon Voyage!!

Room Tip: Bck buildings are away from the main lobby-52,52,50,51 50-51 closer to pool and beach, but really 3...
Dear guest:

First of all, we would like to thank you very much for taking your time and giving us these detailed comments about your excellent stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection.

We really appreciate all your good comments in relation to the cleanliness of our rooms and the great service of our staff.

We regret wholeheartedly about all the situations you have described to us and we hope your husband will be recovered promptly.

We would like to advise our guests in the sense to guarantee their peace of mind, that an additional program with strict actions to reinforce the preventative measures has been put in place for weeks to ensure the total health and safety of our food and facilities.

We really hope that you consider come back again to enjoy this paradise in Dominican Republic.

ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I just returned from 1 week at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville.
We flew Canjet from Toronto directly to La Romana (direct flights are on Mondays - otherwise you fly into Punta Cana and then have to take a 1-1.5 hr bus ride to La Romana). We chose to pay for the seat selection on the plane 40.00 per person per way. Yes its a lot, but we both prefer the extra leg room and comfort - seats 15a and 15b (wing) both ways.

Ok. This may be lengthy, but I will try to not stray.

Email the resort if you would like to have room or building preference. I suggest emailing the resort 2 weeks before you go and then about 5 days prior to just to touch base. Here is the email I used and received a response within 3 days.
asistentecustomerservicebplrm@bahia-principe.com

Room:
We stayed in room 53209. This was the building I requested. As well as the 3rd floor which was also my request. We had the view of palm trees and to the right of our balcony a small view of the ocean. But the sunset was fantastic! The room was very clean, king size bed, amenities in the bathroom. Housecoat, slippers, stocked fridge with chips, pop,water AND a mini whiskey, 2 mini rums and a mini vodka. Oh ya and 2 El Presidente beers. This was replenished daily. The room was kept remarkably clean daily. I cannot say enough about the staff - FANTASTIC! This may be repeated throughout. If you prefer to be closer to the pool and ocean (its not far at all) then ask for building 50 or 51. They both have really nice corner rooms like a castle turret that face the pool and the ocean. Don't be concerned about pool noise. I'll get to that shortly. We had no issues with water pressure, or the bed, or the a/c in the room. All was fine.

Daily activities- bingo, spanish lessons, bachata lessons, boccia ball etc.

Excursions:
We did 2 excursions. First one was the Catalina Island. We chose to go with the Scuba Quatic tour providers which you will find either walking around on the beach or you can go directly to their building which is on the beach- the kayak/paddle boat rental place. For the 2 of us, which included pick up right there on the beach @ 0900, drinks (pop water rum and beer), lunch on the island, 2 snorkel spots, a couple of hours on the beautiful Catalina Island beach came to 70.00 per person US. This was an awesome day trip. We were back by 4 pm. If you don't like boats- don't bother with this tour. Water was choppy and there was a poor girl heaving off the side of the boat. Definitely take Gravol - I did. The 2 locations for snorkeling were beautiful! The amount of beautiful fish and coral was breathtaking. I kept laughing- super fun. The tour guides we fantastic as well. Very attentive to the girl who was ill and very informative to the locations that we were at. Also entertaining as well, dancing on the way back on the boat in choppy water was a definite talent. Catalina Island was approx 1 hr boat ride. Bring snorkel gear if you are doing this trip. They will provide you with the equipment if you want. But I prefer my own. There was also a market at Catalina Island so if you want to buy stuff you can.
2nd day trip was to Santo Domingo. Wow! This tour was awesome! We chose to go with Bahia Principe Tours - they are in lime green shirts at the Bouganville pool. The tour was from 9-4. You are picked up at the main lobby ( not the Bouganville lobby- the other one) and it's a approx 1 hour bus ride through the town of Boca Chica into Santo Domingo. Now, it's hot. So if you are going to wear a tank top and short shorts ladies, you must bring a shawl or jacket or something that will cover your shoulders. You will be going into a old church and you will not be allowed in if your shoulders are exposed or legs above the knee. It's a respect thing. This is all over the churches in Europe as well. If you choose not to be covered they will provide you with a shawl to wear on your shoulders and as a skirt. Kind of a pain to wear both shawls if you ask me, since you will still be carrying a camera and probably a purse and or backpack- just saying. I wore golf shorts and a tank top but I brought a summer sweater and my attire was acceptable. Again it's respectful. If you don't want to go into the church, you don't have to. But, the rest of the group may be a while. Anywho, our first stop was a cave. Right off the highway was a cluster of trees and BAM entrance to cave. WOW! This was amazing. Wear comfy shoes and bring that camera! 2nd stop was to Christopher Columbus' house/castle. That was really cool. The tour was done really well. You are given a headset and a small handheld device. Throughout the castle there are numbers on the displays. You punch in the number to your device and there is your history lesson. You went at your own pace which was awesome. Then we went to the government building where the eternal flame was and we were intime to see the changing of the guard. Then off to the market. then the church. Then it was time for lunch at the Restaurant Nabu in the Crown Plaza Santo Domingo. All was included for the lunch except for alcoholic beverages. And they were not cheep- we chose to stick with water and cafe. Once we were done lunch we were on our way home. But we took a detour through the city to see the Presidents home(he doesn't reside there anymore). Pretty sweet tour! This was $ 150.00 for 2 people in US. I would def recommend it. Our tour guide was Mel. He was awesome!

Food and drinks:
We had reservations at the Garden Grill and both had beef tenderloin. Really really good. We also had reservations at the Italian Restaurant which doubles as the Seafood restaurant. This I will unfortunately not remotely recommend. I am not going to bash anything, but, I will strongly suggest you DO NOT eat at this restaurant - bottom line food was really bad and didn't sit well. The buffet restaurant was fantastic!!!! We ate there everyday and would continue to for the rest of our time there. Premium drinks like Jamieson and CC and Crown Royal etc. all included :). One evening there was a "Canadian night" it was cute. But WAY too much Celine Dion.

Which brings me to the music at this resort - BORING! Now I am not remotely a party girl. And I know this resort seems like it was geared to an older generation, but come on! At the pool and in the lobby area the music was either Celine Dion or Shania Twain and they were all slow songs - it felt like a permanent nap. We are late 30's early 40's and we listen to and appreciate a wide variety of music. My god the music was terrible. At the adjoining Bahia it was a hopping!!! And frankly a little Dominican Music would be awesome to hear as well. This was in no way the fault of the staff there. I witnessed people requesting the music to be changed. But unfortunately this was what the management stated that had to be played. Again music BORING.

Staff:
I cannot say enough about the staff, that are tirelessly working to make your trip a memorable, comfortable and relaxing time. Leonel at the reception in Bouganville was awesome! Gloria who brought you beverages in the lobby, tried her very best at communicating with people with her very very little English was unbelievable!!!! She was amazingly kind and just really really nice. As for the rest of the staff at the bouganville. They do not get enough thank you's. We were very thankful for the care and attention that was given to us on our trip from the staff. Seriously awesome. If i keep going it's just going to get tiresome for you to read lol .

Beach:
Just as you see it. Clean but murky. We were not upset as this is what we expected. Sand crabs there were fun to watch. 2 puffer fish in the surf all the time. Oh and down to the right of the beach was Rafael Nadals home. Pretty cool .

I think that's it. Sorry for the lengthy write up. If you need more info just msg me.

Happy Travels

Room Tip: Building 50 and 51 are closest to pool and beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear guest:

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again in our hotel next year

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Dominican Republic.

Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

From the moment we walked into the new part of the resort we were taken. It is a very beautiful resort that is well laid out for it's guests.. We did notice right away that there were a lot, I mean a lot of house flies. They seemed to be on you constantly and in your drinks. The buffets were wonderful and most dishes looked appealing. There were not many flies in the eating area in the main building. The beach is different as the sun comes up behind you and sets in front of you. So, in the morning when it is my fav time to relax in the sun, you are facing away from the ocean and the sun is hit and miss with the palm trees. The water is murky and doesn't look appealing, I didn't swim in the ocean once during our stay. The rooms are great and we found them comfortable. We had fun with the staff, they are all very friendly, but at times we wondered how much they understood you as we received many mix ups with our orders. Three days into our trip talking with fellow Canadians found out that people were getting sick around the resort. Next day it hit me, I've been back in Canada now for three days and I'm on anti biotics to clear up a bacterial infection. Take the time to go to the government website and look into Cholera. I had a very bad experience at this resort, I did not venture off the resort, with so many people getting sick there, all I see from the resort is that they assure everyone that there is nothing wrong. I seen people throwing up on the beach, around the resort, at the airport, on the Tarmac and on the plane. Yet, they still say, they have the highest standards. Forth trip to LaRomana, first time to this resort, first time sick. Fever, nausea, chills, aches, travellers diareaha, sensitive skin in bed sick. I don't know what part of their system broke down, but to be in complete denial tells me they are not listening. I hope this was an isolated incident and if your headed there, I truly hope everything goes well. It looks like the perfect spot.

Dear Carl,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much for taking your time and giving us your review of your holiday.

We are immensely grateful to know that you enjoyed our services and that you have enjoyed the kindness of our staff.

We are very sorry to hear that there was some sickness experienced here at our resort, and we certainly hope you are feeling better now. We would like to inform our guests, that for weeks, our management has put in place a program with additional measures to reinforce the established sanitary procedures, so that we can guarantee the safety and health of food and facilities

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in any Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection.

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!