“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Atlanta, GA
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really, really, really wanted to love this place but after much thought, I can't give it a completely positive review. We decided to go here on our cruise stop in La Romana since there is really not much to do at this port and we try to maximize our beach time while we're on vacation. Our 4 year old would live in the ocean if he could. We also chose this attraction based on the reviews here.

After fighting the crowds of other passengers with no set plans for this port, we finally got a cab driver to take us to Playa Caleta. We made sure to specify that we needed this person to come back and pick us up. After the ride from hell -I seriously saw my life flash before my eyes several times because they drive like absolute maniacs here - we finally arrived at Playa Caleta. I honestly think your experience here depends on which vendor you patronize. We realized after we got there that there are quite a few vendors to spend the day with.

Our driver dropped us off at the stand with someone I assume he knew since he left strict instructions for how we were to be treated. It was a pretty rundown looking area and I'm sure that's why he didn't just leave us anywhere. Not being familiar with the island, we just knew that we wanted to go to Playa Caleta so I am glad he saved us from our own ignorance of the area.

No one at this stand spoke English. The man that we think is the owner spoke just enough for us to communicate albeit with some difficulty. They could not make change for US dollars, so I would suggest arriving here with some pesos. We ended up just negotiating with him to get a fried fish plate, two drinks, and a beer for around $25. I guess Dominicans eat differently from the rest of the Caribbean because what I got was a whole fried fish with sauteed onions and peppers around it, a plate of plain white rice, and a plate of underripe fried plaintains. The food was underseasoned but not horrible. I was expecting some type of sauce on my rice or at least some beans with the rice. I guess when you don't have running water, it's hard to cook a meal with all the usual fixings.

There is also no running water in the bathrooms. My husband said the men's bathroom just had a 3-foot concrete wall that you just urinate over. Hopefully, that's all you have to do in there since there was nothing else. The women's room had stalls and toilets and an attendant was on standby to provide water to flush the toilet and toilet paper. I made sure to give her a few dollars because I would hate to have her job. I did not expect a four star experience so we took everything in stride. The inability to get change for our money was the biggest inconvenience here and caused the most hassle. The owner was willing to work with us though which made it a easier. The staff here was very attentive and treated us very well.

The point of our trip here was the beach and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The beach was rocky along the shore line so it's a good idea to bring beach shoes to navigate the rocks and debris. The waves were also really rough that day so we just hung out near the shore with our 4 year old while my in-laws went out a little further. Our driver came back to pick us up at the appointed time and overall, everyone had a great time.

Visited December 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
“My favourite Beach Bars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have lived this, great diversion for those of us that have a home in casa de campo and want to be with the people since the Resort is a world where you only rub shoulders with the rich. Be vigilant and go with a local and never after dark.

Visited September 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
36 attraction reviews
“Feel the Domincan Republic here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Playa Caleta was one the highlights of our recent trip to the Dominican Republic. If you're looking for a "resort beach" do not go here. Caleta is definitely a locals beach, with typical Dominican food and ice cold Presidente beer! The beach is quiet, beautiful views, such as of the light house; however, a bit rocky for swimming in most areas. There is a little bay area that is good for swimming, though.And, we had the pleasure of meeting a group of school kids that were enjoying the beach after school - what a great "after school program"!!!

Visited January 2013
Hollywood, Florida
487 attraction reviews
“typical dominican food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Dominican food are easy to find in this beach. I like the fried fish, yaniqueque and the famous dominican sweet, cheap price for food. Bring sun block and comfortable shoes.

Visited April 2012
Republique Dominicaine
7 attraction reviews
“Cute little beach..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

very typical. Non touristic place, very dominican. good fried fish..