“This hotel robbed us of a peaceful vacation - run away from here !” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. San Pedro - La Romana, Km 12, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter up to 50% off
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in La Romana
Montreal, Canada
“This hotel robbed us of a peaceful vacation - run away from here !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Please save yourself a ton of frustration and go elsewhere.

We were a group of 7 people in our 40's. We had decided to go down south to an all inclusive for some sun and relaxation. We chose grand Bahia Principe La Romana.... Boy do we regret it now. We paid extra for Royal Golden ...PLEASE save your money.... We got NOTHING for this.

The 1st day, the hotel immediately REFUSED to take restaurant reservations (we were entitled to 4 during our 7-day stay) . This never happened.

In summary, they used every excuse in the book to refuse booking restaurant reservations and instead pushed us to the buffet all 7 days. They lied throughout the whole week and we only caught on on our 3rd day. Excuses such as : the restaurants are all booked up, computers are down, come back later and see, come back tomorrow and check, etc... We lost hours in line every morning begging for restaurant reservations... EVEN though we were 2nd or 3rd in line the minute they opened.

Here is the truth : the restaurants were less that 1/3 full every night at all times, they never had enough staff, the staff they had had little or no training, they did not have enough food in the restaurants, and they preferred to prioritize Bouganville guests's requests for restaurant reservations so we poorer regular guests never even had a chance. (Bouganville guests are the high-paying guests that opted for the higher cost hotel luxury packages.)

Our group of friends feel robbed and taken for chumps by this hotel.

The free internet is useless... Connectivity is near impossible.
They advertise their hotel App as totally functional... That you can make reservations, find your room, make special requests.... What a joke ! Don't believe anything this hotel writes.

Their website says their water is drinkable and safe.... Try it and you will spend your vacation throwing up near a toilet all week.

If you are a diabetic.... Take real care because even though you ask for diet (light) drinks... You will be served full syrup sodas at the bars. You may end up in the hospital.

The fridge and safe in my room didn't work. As a Royal Golden guest these are part of the amenities.... The 1st day I called the front desk who said they would send someone ONLY if I waited in my room. I waited over an hour and a guy showed up and changed the safe batteries. This worked for the day but the next morning the same problem reoccurred. I didn't want to waste time again waiting for their guy to show up so I let this slide. That evening the fridge stopped cooling our water... Again I let this slide because I wanted to be outside instead. I had wasted enough time waiting in line, etc....

I can't tell you what a disappointment this vacation was. I will never again return here. Family and friends will be well warned to keep away. Please be warned !!!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better to avoid roaches and other terrible insects. Better yet, go to another hote...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your collaboration. Thank you for sharing an overview of your experiences during your recent stay at our property. We sincerely regret to know that we could not reach your expectations and we hope that those events, did not tarnish your wish of enjoying your vacations and having a good time on this little bit of paradise here at the Dominican Republic.

Thank you for chosing us as your vacation Resort.

Yours sincerely

Helena Gomez
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Immaculate hotel. Food is not great, better in the restaurants. Staff friendly and helpful. Shows are entertaining--- whole staff lends themselves to a warm atmosphere. Resort has filtered water but not in rooms so use bottled water to brush your teeth. Sometimes chicken was undercooked. Our party of 11, which included 5 kids (ages 11, 12, 13) had a blast with water sports, volleyball, kayaking, etc.
Beach is nice --- good sand and no need for water shoes like other places in the Caribbean. Take a side trip to Saona Island --- 30 mins away...
Great stay.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent
Dear guest,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed their holidays, we transmit your satisfaction to our staff and we sincerely hope to see you again very soon.
Yours faithfully,

Helena Gomez
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've been traveling for eighteen years to La Romana but this has been my worst trip ever. My family and I had the worst experience during our stay. I don't know where to begin from the dirty towels to the horrible food. To get a reservation for the so called "gourmet" restaurant was like you're going to beg for food. My husband and I gave up. I can't say anything nice about our stay with the kids for spring break this year. The staff were so angry as if you owe them. During lunch or dinner god forbid you get a second glass of coke. I would NEVER recommend this resort to anyone! I'm so angry because their advertisements does not match or accommodate what you're spending your money on. There goes ten grand down the drain. SMH!

Room Tip: Ask for second level in resort because at night you will wake up to different type of bugs and insec...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Chandra,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

Our hotel is a safe and disease free complex; since we follow a very strict hygiene program and constant monitoring of all standards of quality in our Hotel. We would like to mention that Gran Bahía Príncipe Hotels & Resorts has been recognized by Crystal America Consulting - Check Safety Group, for our effort and performance in hygienic and sanitary risks control.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you have.

Our best wishes,

New Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I love trip advisor and rely heavily on it when travelling! It always shocks me how some reviews are so severe and others have perfectly fine experiences. I think this property is one that is difficult to review because there is a lot of good, however the bad needs improvement in my opinion.

When last I travelled to Dominican I said I wouldn't go back! Well evidently I did go back, and so I will say it again..this was my last time to the Dominican.. Time will tell!

We were a small group of adult females. Flew in with WestJet and arrived very late at the resort. We were asked to make our way to our villa and our luggage would follow us. When we got to our room it was not set up for the number of people who were staying in the room. We ordered the 24 hour room service, which never arrived. The first local to greet us was a two inch long cockroach in our bathroom. We were on the main floor so this guy let himself in under the door.

Please note you will have a drive of one hour and twenty minutes from the Punta Cana airport to resort.

Our room was spotless, very clean and our AC worked very well with no issues..everything in our room was in good repair, however our television reception was terrible. Our only issue with our room was lack of towels. The housekeeping workers looked professional and did a phenomenal job.

I have been to nine islands in the Carribean and this one rivals all for manicured gardens and cleanliness..it is absolutely beautiful. Pristine and simply aesthetically beautiful. The lobby is lovely, always with fresh juice and coffee station available.

We were wearing gold privilege bracelets which gave us the ability to access the great high speed internet in the privelage office. Also each room ( not person) gets one free hour of wifi each day from the hotel lobby area only. There is an option to buy more time if needed.

Ala carts. We did three, the Gourmet, The Japanese and the Italian.. Japanese was lovely, the gourmet ok, the Italian..horrible and made me ill. The service in the Italian was the worst, never a smile .. In fact I don't think our waiter even spoke to us other than when asking to take the order. The food was the same as you would find in the Buffett. There was no tip offered at the Italian.

The Buffett was again a beautiful room, the selection good. Breakfast always my best meal..the fresh orange juice and mimosa are lovely.. The staff, once again - very poor service! Understaffing a problem, and tip mongering another huge issue. I never felt like the staff appreciated us.. They were always posturing for tips only. We always had to wait, and remind for coffee or drinks at our table..it was a perpetual problem. Other reports offer water immediately..not here.

The food is so repetitive, and very bland..! I was basically done eating at day four with the exception being breakfast and fresh fruits for other meals.

The pool is beautiful! Cleaned very well, it was a lovely area..with beautiful Palm trees, laden mango trees..just lovely. Pool entertainment was fun and lively.
The issue? The lounge situation.. Unless you were at the pool at 7am. You did not get a seat. I feel there was some Tom foolery here with tipping the staff to lay towels.. In fact I know this because we experienced it on the beach. Staff will save prime seats with towels and if you tip them well you will fall heir to the seat. Totally frustrating situation!

I am a beach person..this is why I go south! The previous reviews were right and I ignored them! The water is full of sediment, it is dark and cloudy! If you are like me and love the gorgeous clear Aqua green sea, you will be as disappointed as me. The beach clean, lovely, well maintained! The water? Sorry to say will keep me from going back! I am a swimmer and beach lover, and for me this water is just not what I like..it compares to lake water. In the ocean I need to be able to see what is around me..here uop cannot! The other big turn off the saving of beach chairs! Pimple were saving chairs and only showing up at 4 in the afternoon.. I was on the beach every morning by 7:30 and struggled to find loungers..unless I wanted to tip for a front row saved chair by beach staff. New system sorely needed!

Excursions: terrible! Catalina! Terrible..I caution snorting in Catalina..water is shallow and heavy coral! I cut myself badly on the leg.. I am a strong swimmer and avid snorkler..this was one of the worst locations I have been to.
Santo Domingo! Lovely for history buffs and for those who want to hear about how poor the tour guide is and how his tips are so important to him.. He spent more time talking about himself than he did speaking about the tour..Horrible!

If this resort could improve on staffing, customer attentiveness it would be a fantastic choice for pool lovers! Nothing will improve the ocean however, so for this reason on its own it will keep me from going back. The water was the same in Samana when I visited there.

Out of the three Gran Bahias that I have stayed at in La Romano, Samana and Mexico..this was the most beautiful! With the worst service! Sadly! The young male waiters in the restaurants need to spend less time complimenting and more time serving!

I don't do the entertainment shows so I will not be able to comment! The Casino was fun and well staffed!

I would say that this once again the cleanest, most beautiful of resorts, but the big fails make the beauty run only skin deep. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news folks.

Dear guest,

It is important to note that we welcome your comments, as it is through communications of this nature, that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from you our valued clientele. We are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests’ satisfaction, because their opinion is of the utmost importance to us.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the Manager and we will give the matters the proper attention and the corrective measures are going to be taken in order to avoid these situations from reoccurring.

Our best wishes,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Brilliant display of deficient customer service, overall mismanagement, and mediocre selection of indistinguishable food choices at two buffet restaurants (at the lobby and beach locations), while all located on meticulously up kept, quite scenic and pleasing resort property. A beautiful property is not sufficient to pay upward of $1,350 per person for a week.

My family travels three times per year for the past 17+ years, Caribbean and Europe, and we are yet to feel a remotely close dismay post our vacation. Upon arrival, within 2 hours, we had to change our room 3 times: first due to recently painted room where we couldn't bear the smell of fresh paint, then due to a non-working AC and finally the 3rd room, where we settled. Arrived at the hotel on Sunday, 04.05.15 at 3:30pm, settled by 5:30pm. Maintenance was supposed to arrive “right away” to enable the safe but for the duration of our stay, seven nights, no one came. To compensate for the check-in process we were offered an "easy and guaranteed restaurant reservation process".

The following morning at 9:00am, a hotel representative was available in the lobby to make reservations to the three on-property restaurants included in each all-inclusive package (do not be misled by that idea). The representative nonchalantly informed us that the 1st available restaurant is on Saturday 04.11.15 (and our check out is 04.12.15), yet the “golden club”, which is $20 more per person, per night, seems to have no trouble reserving tables for the guests. We were told that the management will “sign off on the request today” and we will be offered three restaurant reservations over the course of the week. Eminent words of the resort “we will let you know later this afternoon”. Blatant and unashamed display of lies on behalf of management. We have been checking with front desk, every morning, for 4 days and no one ever confirmed anything, until we took it upon ourselves to approach the manager of each restaurant and make the reservations for ourselves for the last 3 nights of our stay. So much for the "easy and guaranteed reservation process". During dinner time we observed that restaurants are nearly empty. The mismanagement and disorganized staff is on display again. Restaurants serve average meals as compared to what one would expect from a Gourmet, Italian or Seafood Specialty Restaurant, yet compared to the offered buffet selections, the tree restaurant menus appear to be superior.

Upon request to speak to a manager on duty, at that moment Mario Quintana, around 5:00pm on day 4 of our stay, I was informed that he is not at the hotel at the moment and can only see me at 9:00pm, “on his available schedule”. The young lady at the desk, Lirian, informed me that the manager in the office, obviously replacing Mario for the moment cannot see me and that I have to wait until 9:00pm to see Mario. Isn’t that what you expect of great customer service as a traveler!

Pool is nice and clean. Sand is clean and beach is welcoming with plenty of shade. Ocean water is not blue but relatively clean and OK to swim in. Limited to no activities for children/toddlers except a 0.40m pool with a plastic palm tree in the middle. One star for the beach/pool, 1 star for the resort grounds, half a star for the food/organization/customer service/management, who act and make you feel like you have severely overpaid for your stay at a resort reminiscent of a road-side motel.

The hotel merely meets expectations. Certainly does not strive to act as a five star resort and functions as a three star property. The only person of superior help over the course of seven days was Erasmo. I am comfortable to say that it is a shame on the resort when 1 member could be singled out as helpful.

Have you ever felt you wasted $7,000 for a five-person vacation? If not, this is the resort to visit…

Room Tip: Rooms in building 17 is facing the pool and close to the ocean. Rooms in building 16 is facing the...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Lina,

We also would like to thank you for taking the time out to communicate the impressions of your vacation with us.

The opinion of our customers is extremely valuable to us as it give us an opportunity to verify the accomplishment of the established guidelines, as well as to ensure that we work towards the continuous improvement of our services. We thank you also for sharing with us this information related to our services, especially our a la carte restaurants and room service; rest assured that your comments and observations will be immediately sent to the operational departments to be taken into account as our commitment to achieve highest levels of performance.

Once again we would like to thank you for vacationing with us, we hope you will consider giving us the opportunity to once again host you in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very nice resort and offre at a very good quality price . You can go there; no worries.

Very Nice and large beach with a lot of palapas and coconut trees. Lot a shading spaces. It is true that the sea water is not clear as usual for carribean sea but the water is hot and clean. Principal Pool: big, clean and good number of palapas.

Rooms and all the resort is clean and well maintained. Restaurant le Goumet offer an efficient and professionnal service and quality food. Filet mignon, tartare de thon rouge, magret de canard... All very weel cooked (filet mignon rare and was ok), italien: ok, seafood: so so.

Chicos and chicas del équipo de animation: Continue to keep your smileys and nice energy! Special mention for Oscar and Carlos at the Buffet (very good service, efficiency and fun ! All the animation team was great (Daniel, Aneury, Anephry, Yesson and all of the others amigos...) Joel and Richard at the pool bar for the very good Mojitos and the nickname of "international Guy"...!
You fer 1 hour free internet from the hôtel and the network is ok (except at dinner time around 7-8 oclock, but rapid after breakfast)

Overrall: A Very Nice stay and good fun time para mi y todo mi familia! Muchas gracias grand Bahia principe!!!!!

Lucas y su familia :)

Stayed April 2015
Dear Thomas,

We feel proud of your fond memories , and for feelings we'll always treasure. We hope welcome you soon in our hotel: the Best Hotel in Dominican Republic.

Thank you very much for choosing us as your holiday destination.

Ivanna Ozuna
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We came to this hotel to enjoy a relaxing stay from the cold NYC. And that's what we got, but the way that things transpired was very unusual. I started off with a piña colada. The drink was completely watered down and tasted like milk. The pool and activities however were remarkable. Many things that you can do to enjoy you're day. Also the food was horrid, making me sick day by day but overall I can't say best stay, but not bad for Dominican republic

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your stay at our Resort.

In Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

We took good note of your observations and discussed the issues with the various Department Managers in order to take the appropriate measures and avoid situations, such as you described, in the future. We hope this experience does not prevent that your visit our hotel or any other hotel of our chain Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in a future.

Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!