“The Best Vacation Ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra San Pedro-Romana km 12, El Soco. San Pedro, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in La Romana
Hamilton, Canada
“The Best Vacation Ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have been to many, many resorts closer to Santo Domingo and nothing compares to Bahia La Romana. We were so happy with our expierence at this hotel from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. EVERYONE is so friendly and more then willing to go above and beyond to make your stay a great one. The ocean is merky(but we are not ocean swimmers so this did not bother us). We had a minor glitch with the AC in our room, it was fixed within the hour....I was so impressed, sometimes "island" repairs can take forever....lol....The food was great, our kids loved the chocolate fountain. You will not be dissapointed at this resort.

2,151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Warwick RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just got back from 5 day trip to Gran Bahia Principe La Romana and have never been happier to see a vacation end. The service at this resort except of a handful of employees is horrible ,the resort itself is beautiful well maintained and clean ,that's about it ,the food was horrible everything was overlooked and served cold.The restaurant manger did not acknowledge us once even after saying hello to him in English and Spanish all he was concerned with was flirting with young girls and trying to look important. The beach is ok it's a man made beach at the mouth of a river so the water is murky and a lot of sea weed. The pool is great but the bar tenders at the pool bar seem to get upset when you order a drink. The rooms are clean and very big,the shower in the bathroom however is better at making a mess than it is for showering. The only places with great service was the pavilion by the pool you can get breakfast and lunch there and you will be acknowledged by the staff,Jhoan at the bar speaks very little English but will great you with a smile and an honest mucho gusto as you leave. The French restaurant is great the Veal was the only truly edible thing I had. We will never return to this resort again,and if this is an example of the Gran Bahia brand we will never go to another one anywhere else ,the Riu resorts as well as the Occidental resort chain know how to make there guest want to return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main lobby the entertainment is very loud and goes late
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A resort MAKES/BREAKS a vacation especially when coming to the Dominican Republic. Very disappointed at how this resort turned out.

1. I arrived at the resort at noon, check-in was at 3PM, but my room wasn't ready till 3:30PM. After a long travel day, I just wanted to take a nap and rest-this was not possible

2.Food is subpar, the snack restaurant was the worst-French Restaurant was highly recommended

3. Alcohol was cheap- Jack Daniels was considered top shelf-too many sugary drinks

4. All bathrooms had a horrible odor

5. Jellyfish in the water- my friend got stung and received very little guidance and help

6. Woman be very careful- the men attendants will constantly try to take you out dancing outside of the resort- one tourist went missing

7. I loved the aqua aerobics-very fun

8. Expect to be woken up by the maids in the morning with their loud chatter and laughing

9. No one dances at the discoteca

Overall, I would not come back to this resort and its sad to say that I felt like my well planned vacation was a waste of time and money.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I'm amazed at the amount of people giving good reviews for this hotel. I came in Dominican Republic already five times before and never been so disappointed. The package i bought combined to precedent stays in Bahia Principe San Juan gave us some expectations. All of them have been sadly turned off during this terrible week.
Right on arrival, we found ourselves, a mother and 15 year old daughter, received by two men to do the unexpected 2 hours road to the hotel. This is not to make one feel safe! Then, we are nicely received by the wonderful Hector at the desk, the only one who showed some pleasure doing his work. We are then took a part by a nice lady, i can't sadly remember her name because we are in the Gold section, what is supposedly a guarrantee of better service, then the fun started...I'm so ready to leave this place! Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, worst vacation ever in the islands... Feels like i spent my week running after one or another missing items that are supposedly included.. Magnetic card dying regularly, Water bottles missing, coffee in room missing, waiting half an hour to get forks and knives at diner, waiting 2 hours for room service, being harassed by an old guard at the disco because daughter is with me, this after asking if she could come and being told yes no problem, employees hardly smiling, a beach towel disappearing (nice guests on top of all!), and almost invisible animation, add to this seeing a coackroach having a walk in the fruit plate and being assaulted by an army of flies on the balcony. And this morning they decided to dig in front of my balcony, adding noise and dust for my ultimate pleasure, or as a goodbye gift. On the bright side, the place is nice, rooms are big and clean, pool is giant and the beach is beautiful (the water not so great though). Well, never more for me, i appreciate too much good service on top of nice location. And when i talked with the assistant-manager about this terrible week, he offered me t- shirts!!!! I almost died laughing!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at the "Adults Only" section of the hotel. It was an amazing vacation. The staff was attentive, friendly, and polite. Before we could think of anything that we needed, it was provided. The hotel is spotless. Someone is always cleaning. The drinks, unlike I was told, were not watered down, but instead, normal bar quality. And remember, this is all inclusive. Our refrigerator was stocked every day, religiously. The staff was more than helpful whenever we had a question. I would definitely recommend going on excursions. We went to Samona (hope I spelled that correctly). The "natural swimming pool" in the middle of the ocean was amazing. The food in the adult section was just okay;the main hotel's food is better. I would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first or second floor. There are no elevators and if you are on the top floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have been to high end resorts and everything else down to living with a local family. I believe you should expect little and find greatness. Upon arrival, I was overwhelmed by the amount of angry customers at the front desk complaining about "upgrades" and how bad the rooms were. Most complained that they paid extra and didn't feel that there was an upgrade. Well, I laughed and told my husband that I would pay a little extra and make sure that the upgrade I asked for was the "nicest" upgrade. HAAAAAAA! First of all, I got a room that was surrounded by construction. The workers were throwing their shirts over the balcony to air them out. My daughter yelled to get me when she walked out on to the balcony and there was a man outside staring in the room. Water pressure in the tub did not exist and the room had the cheapest mattress, sheets, and towels. A two hour trip to the sweaty non-air-conditioned lobby ended in me being told to come back in the morning for a room change.
The next day, I came back to the non-air-conditioned lobby to see if the room had been vacated, but the front desk staff seemed to not understand what I was asking for. I had to keep asking for someone higher in command to request the room I was promised and had paid for. No one offered a refund for the horrible room. I expected at least a refund on the upgrade fee since the room was atrocious.
The new room was ready to move in after 3pm that evening...and boy, what a shock. AFTER NO A/C in the lobby, I was again faced with a non-functioning air-conditioner. I called the front desk and I was told someone would come to fix it. Two hours later, no A/C. I called again. Same promise. I send my family to dinner and wait for the attendant. No one shows up. I call again and get the same garbage. I then call for room service and they tell me it will show up in thirty minutes. I then call the front desk and ask for a manager. They tell me no managers are available. I call the booking agency and ask to be moved immediately. Suddenly someone shows up and adds Freon. The room gradually starts to cool. Room service takes two and a half hours to show up.
The next morning, the room is freezing and I have packed to move to a new resort. I get a wake up call from the agency to see if I still want to move. I am overjoyed to have A/C. Until I go to book restaurant reservations and get told that it's too late to book any "good reservations" and the good ones should be booked before 3pm on the first night. The buffet has some waiters who are really attentive and others are horrible. Israel was our favorite. He remembered our kids daily. The food is actually pretty good but keep in mind that your are in a small country and not the United States. The meats are much leaner and they cook differently. As long as you show up early, you should escape most of the diseases.
Lastly, the Animation (entertainment) team is note-worthy. They made the entire trip tolerable. They can tell when you aren't having fun and make you laugh. They teach aerobics and dance lessons and hold shows. They can't be paid enough. They should replace the front desk staff because their attitude is phenomenal. I really laughed when I saw them in shows.
Big picture: This is a low-budget hotel. It is more like a starter vacation. Do not step down to this place if you have been to a Sandals, Dreams, Now, Moon, Barceló, Club Med, or Zoetry. The staff does not speak fluent English.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Everything from the food to the grounds to the rooms to the friendliness of staff was more than I expected. We paid only $60pp and kids were free. It was worth the money for sure. It was a nice sized resort. My kids loved the kids' program at 8p every night.

Room Tip: If you stay in blding 19, expect to hear the entertainment noise until it end around 11p.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!