“Very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. San Pedro - La Romana, Km 12, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in La Romana
folkestone
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This place was excellent. We enjoyed our 3 weeks. The only down point was the Gourmet resteraunt ant the main restaurant could do with staff rbeing better deployed. We would go back. The staff were very at tentative. The pool area very large and pretty quiet too. The room was fine and the air conditioning absolutely wonderful. The doctor didn't speak any English, which surprised me a little as almost everybody else did.

• Stayed February 2013
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear ReadersFolkstone,

We are so Glad to read you enjoy your 3 weeks vacation in our Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

We highly appreciate your positive comments and we take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our hotels.

Best regards,

Customer Service La Romana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed over the March break. I thought it would be busy and cramped, but it was not. Excellent service from staff! We enjoyed the selection of food from the buffet the best, preferring it over the a la carte restaurants. The buffet had a bigger selection for vegetarians than the a la cart restaurants. You can stay on the beach, lounge by the pool or go on an excursion. The animation team will encourage you to participate (dance by the pool or do yoga on the beach), they will also happily leave you alone if you want. We did 2 excursions (Saona island and Santo Domingo). I enjoyed both! Just a heads up ... in the lobby there are sales people wanting to sell you timeshares, we were not interested, and had to forcefully and frequently say no thanks to the "free" gift. We wanted a quiet relaxing holiday and we had a wonderful family vacation.

• Stayed March 2013
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Lydia K,

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

We are so glad after having read your comment letting us know your experience in our hotel and that you have enjoyed it!!, We can not thank you enough for your your nicest comments!

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit to any of our hotels that forms our family Bahia Principe hotels & Resorts where our commitment to customer service is for what we are recognized around the world.

Bethany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We spent our February vacation when New England was covered under 2 Ft of snow and we enjoyed every moment. The rooms are large and clean and plenty of space. We actually had 2 communicating rooms and was really spacious.
Great pools and the beach was very close to the room. We had the Golden membership and it was worth it. For a little extra per night/per room we had free access to the internet in the Golden club lounge, slippers, bath robes and beach towels in the room.
Food was good with enough choices for everybody. We even had champagne in the all inclusive package and was very decent quality.
The waiters went way over to make us feel happy. Ramon is one of the nicest guys there. Each evening he was actually waiting with a bottle of champagne for us.
The only part that I found less successful was the seafood restaurant.If you have to pick only one I would probably go to the French one. I had a nice lobster there and the desserts were above the average for an all inclusive property.
I would certainly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Add the little extra for the Golden Club.The rooms are very close to the beach with great views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Orly68,

We appreciate that you took the time to comment about your experience during your last vacation with us.

In regards of the not so good comments, we would like to extend our sincere apology, We truly regret reading about El Pescador the A la Carte Rest. Our main objective is to achieve your entire satisfaction. Please rest assure that we are taking your observations with great consideration and that appropriate measure will be taken with the aim of better service, in order to secure the valued service our guests deserved.

Your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations.

We want to thank you for choosing our resort as your destination, we are delighted to learn that we have achieved your complete satisfaction, as this is our number one Goal!!

I remain at your service and we look forward to having you as our guests again .

Tracadie-Sheila, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We traveled from march 2 to march 10, 2013, We had the best vacation ever. The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. The one disapointed things were the à la Carte Restaurant. We did them all and it was just OK. The buffet was fabulous, the desert were excellent. The buffet had a very good selection of food. The water at the beach was not as clear blue as Punta Cana, but it was still good. We did a few excursions, and to give you an advice, do not hesitate to book the Catalina Island trip with the company on the beach «ScubaQuatic», they are very well organize, we had a fabulous day. We also did the buggy ride, if you decide to do that activities and you are looking forward to share things with the kids...you won't be disapointed. We brought a lots of stuff for the kids, gums, stickers, tatoos, dolls etc... and they were so excited, their faces were priceless. We also did the Altos de Chavon tour... it was also very well organized, and we loved it. They called it the shopping trip, but if you are looking for deals you are better off shopping on the beach. When we leave we took all the stuff that we didn't want to bring back with us, like shampoo, clothes, shoes etc, and we gave them to the womans on the beach that are selling stuff... They were very happy :) The room was huge, very nice and it was made every day. We gave the maid a gift every day, and she sure took good care of us.. the fridge was always full of beer :o) The check in was quick and on the day of check out, we were allowed to kept our room until 2 pm. They gave us a room later on that day to had a shower before leaving home. They put our luggage in a locked room, and we continued enjoyed the day on the resort until we left.

NEVER FORGET, YOU'RE ON VACATION AND YOU'RE NOT HOME.... IF YOU DIDN'T LIKED IT, IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT.

I would not pay any attention to negative reviews about this hotel..... WE WOULD RETURN ANYTIME !!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nadia C,

We can not thank you enough for your comments.We truly appreciate that you took the time to share about your experience during your vacation with us.

Orillia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have been a longtime user of this site and always forget to write a review upon my return. My husband and I traveled to Gran Bahia Principe La Romana from Jan 21st to Jan 28th along with 33 others for a wedding. After our experience I felt it was neccessary to write a review. STAY AWAY!

I will start with the good...

The grounds were beautiful. Very well manicured and nice for taking a stroll. The lobby and entertainment area were well maintained also.

The rooms are nice and spacious but in need of a facelift. The paint is coming off in places, cracked tiles etc... (this doesn't bother us but if you are looking for new and fresh rooms this is not the place). The electrical outlets were a tad on the scary side. My husband went to charge his phone and when he went to remove the plug the whole socket came with it!! The a/c is excellent but a little on the noisy side. The shower is not quite what I expected. It only has a half glass wall and the rest is open so water goes EVERYWHERE.

My husband and I who are used to travelling every year hadn't been away for 2 and were really looking forward to this trip so we went in with an open mind and excitement. We arrived late on the 21st so pretty much grabbed a bite to eat, went back to our rooms and went to sleep. Got up the next morning and my husband took a shower and it was FREEZING cold water. I have never showered so fast in my life. As we walked for breakfast we saw that the pipes were being worked on. On day 2 we lost power in our room for about an hour but had hot water so that was nice.

By day 3 people in our group started getting sick. Violently ill. At first we thought maybe they had partied too hard or maybe it was sun & booze etc.... But then more started getting sick. Violent Vomiting, Diarrhea, Weakness, Fever etc... The wedding was supposed to be on the Thursday but the bride fell ill and it had to be postponed till the next day which the resort gave the couple trouble about. By the time the wedding day approached over half were on the mend, ill, or experiencing the first symptoms of the illness. The resort tried to sluff it off as the norwalk virus but slowly more and more people that we talked to throughout the resort were getting sick. We are convinced it was the food. They gave the bride's grandmother a hard time about a late check-out when she could barely lift her head off the pillow. A dozen people were too sick to attend the reception including the bride's mother who had to leave halfway through the 2 hour reception (no one was in the mood for dancing or any sort of party). The couple had to pay extra to have everyone attend a reception (standard for any destination wedding) however due to the illness 1/3 were absent and nothing was done to compensate. I think it's a real shame considering a wedding should be a blissful time and they barely got to enjoy themselves. If you are going to attend this resort for a wedding bring your own photographer. They did and it's a good thing. The hotel gives you 10 or 20 (don't remember) "free pictures" included in your package. If you want any more it's 10 dollars A PICTURE!!!!! Just an FYI. The wedding decor was very nice though they did a great job of making it look pretty and match the colour schemes.

If you are going to this resort for a beautiful beach you'll be surprised. It's located where fresh and salt water meet so the water is very murky. You can't see anything underneath you. The beach has lots of seating. We usually spend half the day at the beach and half the day by the pool. I am allergic to fleas and after 2 days at the beach I realized I was having a reaction to flea bites. My legs were a mess upon my return home and took 2 weeks to get back to normal. The beach is full of sand fleas so if you are sensitive to bites don't go on the beach. Also there are constantly people coming up trying to get you to pose with animals, braid your hair or sell you trips which I find very obnoxious.

Everynight we let our suits dry out on the balcony and every morning when we rent to bring them inside 20-30 mosquitoes flew out of them. When houskeeping comes to clean the room they leave the door open so 3 out of 7 days we had little geckos visiting our room. They are cute and all but I prefer them to stay outside.

The nightly entertainment is lacking. The staff tried their best but they need to do something. It was like watching a kindergarten play!!! We walked out halfway through and didn't bother with anymore shows.

The pool was nice and well maintained with the exception of wasps floating in it!

All in all this was not a good vacation and we couldn't wait to get home! The sickness, the bites etc was just too much. I would strongly reccomend forgoing this resort. I know we won't be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Receive a cordial greeting from Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

First of all, thank you for your good comments of our hotel. We would like to extend our sincere apology, for the inconvenience you may experience.

We would like you to know, Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel have been recognized by Cristal America Consulting - Check Safety Group, for our effort and performance in hygienic and sanitary risks control. We follow a very strict hygiene program and constant monitoring of all standards of quality.

We truly regret you couldn`t enjoy your vacations.

Kinds regards,

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This all-inclusive resort has many great things to offer, but falls short of being outstanding. Let me start with the good things.

First, the beach was about the best I have ever been to anywhere. It reminded one of what you would expect a beach in Tahiti or Hawaii to look like. Beige sand and palm trees. The beach itself is kept spotless by the staff. There are palapas, but you have to get to the beach fairly early to get one (we snagged one on the last day of our stay), because by 8:00 AM they're pretty much taken, even though there are quite a few. However, there is generally enough shade from the palm trees to provide some protection from the sun. As has been posted elsewhere, the water is cloudy and there is some (not much) seaweed. But the way I see it, this is the ocean, not a swimming pool! I spent 75% of my time in the water. Next, the rooms are spacious and clean. The beds, while being a bit firm, were restful. The only criticism I have is that I had trouble getting used to the pillows. The bathroom was well equipped, but the half shower door allowed water to wet the floor pretty much, if you weren't careful. Be sure to check out the working of the shower heads before you start or you will spray the sink like I did. The maids did a wonderful job of maintaining the room. A little tip I got online from http://goarticles.com/article/Dominican-Republic-All-Inclusive-Resorts-Tipping-Secrets-to-Great-Service/2529655/ is to leave chocolate bars (in addition to a dollar or so) as a tip, being as they are expensive in the Dominican. Lastly, the grounds are absolutely beautiful and kept with great care. The common spaces are attractive and comfortable. Pool is large and inviting, with a very nice swim-up bar.

The food from the buffet was nothing to write home about, but it had good variety and was tasty. The fruit juices for breakfast were unbelievable. They all tasted fresh-squeezed. We ate in the fish restaurant and the Italian restaurant and the food, again, was good but not great. My wife had the ribeye steak in the fish restaurant (steak in a fish restaurant, go figure!) and she really liked it. I had the same and I though it was a bit tough but the waiter served it with a side of shrimp, because I was torn between the steak and a shrimp disk. Our friends had lobster lasagna which they appeared to enjoy. On another night one of our friends had the cod and enjoyed it. At the Italian restaurant, we all ordered the shrimp pasta with an olive oil and garlic sauce. This dinner was a split-decision. My wife loved it, but I and my friend's wife though it was tasteless and it only had a single shrimp. Service was good and the staff were very pleasant.

Now for what I found lacking. The term "all-inclusive" was short of what I was expecting from my previous experience at an all-inclusive resort. There were numerous things that were not included mainly in the area of the selection of spirits. The only included options that were included in the price were the local brands, which in the case of Vodka, Gin, and Scotch (depending on the brand the bar tender grabbed) were not terrible. The Whiskey and the blended Whiskey (which they passed off as Bourbon) was, to me undrinkable. Drinks like Margaritas, Pina Coladas and the like were fair. The wine was acceptable. The mini-bar was stocked with two beers and some sodas. We had upgraded to Golden Club thinking that this would entitle us to upgraded liquor selection, but that was not the case. The weakest part of the resort was what I though should have been the strongest part and that was the front desk staff. As has been stated, they did not have a good grasp of English. I know we are in their country, but if you are running an establishment that is serving the public and a good portion of that public speaks a certain language, you should have a fairly decent grasp of it. After all, the staff on cruise ships are rarely from the U.S. but still are able to communicate quite well. Also, the staff seemed to be unable to respond to requests (many people went away unhappy and frustrated) and were at times totally inattentive. The common PC in the Golden Club did not work most of the time and the staff blamed it on the WiFi that seem to be working just fine when accessed by the personal PC in the lobby.

As I said, I had upgraded to Golden Club thinking I would receive upgraded service, but this was not the case. After speaking to other guests that were familiar to the Bahai chain, they indicated that the upgrade didn't add much except access to rooms closer to the beach (not necessarily a beach view) and the ability to book the specialty restaurants more often (which was definitely a plus).

Bottom line, this is definitely not a bad place and many people would really enjoy themselves. The beach itself is worth going for. However, if you are looking for a "top-drawer" resort, you will be disappointed, as I was. Will I go back? No, but not because it was bad, but rather because it was not what I was expecting or looking for. I would fit it into the category of a mid-level all-inclusive resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Fred E,

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, specially from our Customer Service Department.

We are so glad after having read your comment about your experience in our Hotel and that you enjoy your holiday with us, It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. In regards of the Wifi, we are currently working on this aspect as we understand the importance on having it available for our guest, unfortunately the amount of users makes it very slow sometimes.

Kindest regards,

nova scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

To start of .....if the color of the water being blue instead of turquoise really matters that much to you then don't go here but with that said it was one of the most beautiful clean well groomed beaches we have ever seen in all our travels. The water was warm, sandy bottom with many loungers and shade available with no pesty vendors on this beach. We went with as a group of 8 friends Jan. 19-26, 2013 with air canada vacations. Flight, transfer & check-in all good. All of us were put together in Building 11 all having comfortable, quiet, clean suites, king beds, working A/C's, bidet,towels, robes, slippers, hair dryer, shampoo etc & lots of available hot water for showering, (later check out, wireless internet at lobby and free safe with Air Canada Vacations) Our rooms were centrally located to all amenites. Maid services excellent, we noticed rooms cleaned with a clorine bleach disinfectant and the coffee purcolator and refrigerator stocked daily Lots of bottled water made available...(ice made with bottled water) Night maid on site to replace towels with turn down service was a nice touch. We did tip different personnel for a job well done (not necessary but very appreciated) Lobby, bar, night entertainment, buffet, reps etc. all located in same building. Desk service personnel pleasant and efficient. Later check out $10.00 hr. if available. Pool clean with swim up bar available. Bar tenders friendly and efficient. The gardeners deserve to be commended. The grounds are beautiful and groomed to perfection not even a loose leaf to be found under the bushes or hedging just like the beach area so nicely clean & groomed. The food is the same as most resorts you will find something to suit your taste. I seen chef's checking the temperature of the food. They do not allow taking food out of buffet. There is medical staff available if needed. (please note... Check with family doctors before going to the Dominican Republic they may want you to take malaria medication prophylactically because of the earthquake that occurred in Haiti.) Young and old visitors alike at this resort which makes a nice mix. The weather was amazing, sunny & warm with a nice breeze. The sunsets are beautiful.Take Sunscreen, Deet mosquito repellent (around the vegetation) Travel mugs with lids for beach, Suggested to Take your own treats with you for very expensive at the resort. I must say this the only negative was 6 out of 8 of us got sick while here we all concluded because of the cleaniness of the resort we may have got it on the plane prior because there was a child sick onboard. We did our own survey on our departure transfer and it seemed there were many of us from the same plane sick at the resort. The air Canada rep was notified about this but to date we never heard any feedback about this incident. If I had of realized so many were sick I would of notified the resort immediately but they did not know about us and probably many more. Even with that said I wouldn't hesitate to return but honestly we love trying different locations. Enjoy your vacation! :)

Room Tip: We had Room # 1104 which was a quiet ground floor suite King bed everything in working order located...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
DeeNovaScotia,

Customer Service La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!