“Lovely Beach, Amazing Pool & Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra San Pedro-Romana km 12, El Soco. San Pedro, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in La Romana
Burlington, Ontario
“Lovely Beach, Amazing Pool & Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just got back from La Romana (Feb. 2 – 9) and am happy to report we had an amazing time! We were terrified to visit this resort after reading so many reviews of sickness and parasites but we ate many different types of food and neither of us experienced any type of sickness. We did meet two people that had been sick but everyone else we spoke to were fine.

We absolutely loved the pool, the large palm trees in the middle make it feel so tropical! The pool is very big and we always had a palapa (although my husband got up early every morning to lay our towels on one). The beach is very nice to sit at, the sand is soft and the palm trees are beautiful but we didn't care for the murky water. It didn't affect us much though, we enjoyed the beach and would walk over to the pool for a dip, usually combined it with a visit to the bar and a top up on our cerveza's!

We were quite impressed with the food. We’ve been to a number of resorts and it has always been hit and miss with the food. Our favourite was the breakfast buffet and the Le Gourmet a la carte restaurant. The beach snack bar was okay, we preferred the lunch buffet (had the same food as the snack bar plus much more). Dinner buffet was pretty good as well, there is a lot of variety at the buffet but the buffet is nearly the same every day/night (even though they tried to switch it up each night with different themes).

Our room (in Villa #10) was lovely. It was not an upgraded room and did not have a very nice view but we were not in our room much so it wasn’t a issue. The room was very clean and the décor was nice, we did not see a single bug in our room. My only complaints about the room are that the glass shower leaked a lot of water onto the floor and for one day & night our air conditioner did not work. Also, we were in an adjoining room and did not know the other occupants – we could hear EVERYTHING in the next room. One night I woke up and heard a sneeze and thought there was an intruder in our room, turns out it was our neighbours. In our opinion, it wouldn’t be worth the cost to upgrade to the Golden or Platinum rooms. They are basically the same with a better view of the pool or maybe a piece of the ocean. The Bouganville (luxury) section, however, looked amazing and we would consider booking our stay there next time.

The staff are all incredible and make this place worth visiting again! The animation staff are very good at making sure everyone is having a great time, especially Daniel, Fransico, Smerlin & Andres. The evening shows were okay, your typical resort entertainment. Maximo the bartender was very good as well! The serving and cooking staff were all very good as well, they are very polite and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. We were impressed at how well most of the staff spoke English and kudos to them, they need to speak to people from all over the world…meaning they need to speak multiple languages.

My only recommendations for this resort are: bring your own travel mug, the plastic cups used at the bar are flimsy and small. If you enjoy floating around in the pool, bring your own inflatable mattress, they are way overpriced at the resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjoining room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Snoor Sun,

Receive warm greetings from all the team of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We would like to thank you for taking your time to send us your positive comments which are highly appreciated; for us it is a real pleasure to read that you have had a nice time in our Gran Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services. We would also like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff, especially to Daniel, Fransico, Smerlin & Andres, They are indeed good professionals and important members of our family, we will make sure that they and everybody at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel knows about it, we will gladly pass your beautiful words to all the team.

2,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Polish first
Aurora, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very nice smaller resort with service like a large resort. Comfortable accommodations, good food and good service. Beach is beautiful. Pools are large and well kept. Activities programs are fun for anyone, any age. We traveled Jan 25-Feb 3. My mom is in a wheelchair and it was easy to get her around and the staff was very helpful and kind. Every where you look, inside and out, is clean and manicured. It seemed like near capacity a few days into our stay. The cleaning people worked above and beyond to make sure to get clean towels every day - including dropping them off up to 9pm. Wonderful, friendly staff!

Room Tip: If you upgrade to the Golden Club, it puts you in rooms bordering the pool or ocean. The resort is s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear AmbAurora_wi,

Receive cordial greetings from Grand Bahia Principe La Romana and from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We really apreciate your kinds comments about your vacations, Our guests perception in regards to their experiences is extremely important and valuable for us.

It is very satisfaying for us to know that we exceed your expectations in your first trip to our beautiful island. For Bahia Principe, guests are the most important as well as their comments.

We hope to see you soon in our little Dominican paradise,

New Paltz, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We recently returned from a trip to the Gran Bahia Principe La Romana (Feb 5 - 10th) and we had, overall, a lovely time. The trip wasn't trouble or inconvenience free but all in our party agreed that we would consider returning.
Pros:
- beautifully maintained grounds
- private beach that was also maintained by the staff. There were sand bugs but we brought bug spray so they didn't bother us very much. Plus, the hotel sprays every evening which made a difference. The water, while not crystal blue, was not dirty or dark brown. Some days it was lighter in clarity than others but it was fine.
- animacion staff were fantastic. We especially like our spanish class each day with Daniel and Fransisco was an energetic host. There was volleyball, tournaments each day (darts, poker, mini golf), beach soccer, water aerobics, etc. Enough to keep my very active children busy in between visits to the ocean and pool.
- the food was fine. I read many reviews prior to our visit regarding an illness at the resort so I broughts lots of hand sanitizer. It did the trick - and plus, my kids now have decent table manners because we constantly reminded them to use utensils! There was lots of variety in terms of the food choices and if you are worried about food safety there are many stations where the cooks make the foods based on the persons specification (omelet station, pasta station, grilled meat station, etc.)
Cons:
- While the staff was very nice our needs were not always addressed in a timely manner. For example, our toilet broke on the morning of day three of our five day visit. After five phone calls it still never got fixed. Also, one person in our party was stung badly by a jelly fish. This could honestly happen anywhere. My issue was with the lack of response. Because I read in reviews that others had experienced painful jellyfish stings I brought my own vinegar - but it wasn't enough for the size of the sting (back of neck, down back, down one arm). The life guard was not around - away on lunch. The life guard station did not have any vinegar or any first aid supplies. When we asked for help from various staff around the beach or pool they kept sending us to another area of the resort. All we needed was vinegar! I finally had "words" with the front desk and they gave me vinegar to treat the now growing welts. It was very frustrating. Sure, we could have gone to the offsite health clinic but a jellyfish sting really only needs vinegar to treat the initial sting and then I could take it from there with some basic first aid. Thank goodness I brought my own med kit with antiseptic, anti bacterial cream, sting relief, etc or we would have been out of luck.
- Lastly, the resort has rules - no reserving cabanas, no topless sunbathing, casual dress for the restaurants. I have no problems with these rules but they are no enforced in any way. Just don't have the rules then so that everyone has the same expectations,etc.

Overall, the trip was just what we needed to get through the winter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear P1A2G3,

Receive a warm greetings from Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We highly appreciate the time you took to write for us and also your positive comments, we want to inform you that we take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our hotels.

Your feedback and overall view of the Hotel allow us to better improve our daily commitment with quality to meet or even exceed your expectations and hopes while staying with us.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the Dominican Republic.

Gloucester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Resort was very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The food could be a little better but nice variety. We had a wonderful vacation. Loved the staff and nightly dancing. Wanted to bring the staff home with us.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the main lobby, which made it most convienient.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Saginawphil,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for your recent review and you kind comments about your experience in your family vacations, also for highlighting the good aspects, such as our great staff and the cleanliness of the hotel areas.

Hope to see you soon on your next vacation experience at our little Dominican paradise.

Sincerely yours,

Waterdown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I vacation every winter in the south and I have been to many many resorts over the years. We traveled here Feb 2-9 and I had booked this resort based on the good reviews I had read back in December. Much to my horror the week before we went all of the reviews seemed to change to everyone getting sick. I emailed the resort the day before we left to voice my concerns about the number of people who were coming home having been very ill. They replied to me immediately and reassured me that they take this problem very seriously and were taking all measures to ensure their guests were safe. So off we went....

They give you your check in packages on the bus to the hotel including room keys and wrist bands so that you do not have to spend time checking in on arrival. This was great. We arrived at the hotel and went straight to our room. We were very pleased to find out that we had been given rooms in the new building (Exclusive Section) of the hotel. The rooms were new, spacious and very nice. I had 2 rooms and my other family members were beside me. The walls are very thin and I could hear every word for the other room. Good thing they were our family. I would have hated to have loud people or crying babies etc beside us.

The resort is beautiful, the grounds are constantly being cared for and are lush and green. The Staff is nothing short of wonderful to everyone. They work very had to keep the guests happy. The entertainment staff around the pool are lots of fun and always making sure everyone is having fun. They don't hound you to participate if you don't want to but they do a great job of including everyone in the fun. Daniel is a fun guy full of energy and always smiling. He must sleep well at night because he just doesn't stop having fun and smiling.

The pool is very nice and the beach is beautiful. The water is murky as others have said. Its the one downfall to this resort. We did a day trip to Catolina Island and the snorkelling and the beach there is crystal clear blue water. Breathtakingly beautiful. They need to feed people more on this excursion. We came back starving.

The food is average. Its typical resort food that is found at all resorts in the d.r or Mexico. I have been to many resorts in Punta Cana (and other resorts in other countries) and I would say the food is average. You won't find a big fat steak and gourmet meals but you won't go hungry either. Always a good variety of food to choose from.

We were careful with what we ate. Choosing safe options, stayed away from the seafood and ate meat that was cooked well in front of us. We were a family of 4 and we did NOT get sick. I would say 80% of our flight stayed at this resort and I only heard of one person who was ill the entire week. They felt it was from some seafood.

We ate at the beach buffet everyday for lunch. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads etc...and had no issues at all. They are constantly cleaning things and they have hand sanitizer at each restaurant entrance. I feel for those who were ill. What a horrible thing to go through. Hopefully it was an isolated occurrence and those who travel there from now on will not have this experience.

The resort is not massive so being able to walk around easily is very nice. No golf carts needed to get around here and thats a big bonus!

I hope this puts the minds of those who have already booked this resort at ease about becoming sick here. Lets hope nobody else gets sick and enjoys all this beautiful resort has to offer.

We had a great vacation here and I would go back again!!! Safe, Happy and Healthy Travels to ALL!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear SUNLVR333,

Receive cordial greetings from the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We very much appreciate your feedback and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your vacations with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to post and giving us such a good review of your holidays at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana and we are glad to hear that you had a fabulous time.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in your next family vacations at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel for one week from the 2nd of February.. First of all, the organisation of the transfer was not very serious- in the bus we were counted as chicken, but nobody asked to which hotel we were going :)
However, on the arrival, we were offered a glass of 'welcome cocktail' and the check-in was really fast..In the hotel you can pay in euros, dollars, pesos, anything you have just be careful about the exchange rate! The staff was really helpful and nice- even maids often start a smalk talk (in spanish of course) :D Animators' team was really sincere and dynamic with a great sense of humour..
The hotel I would say be more 4* than 5, rooms are big enough, really clean, but a bit old- the remote control of tv didn't work, neither the alarm clock...as well as hairdryer in the bathroom!
The lobby is really spacious and cozy, it's really nice to spend an evening having a drink in a terrace..There is live music in the evening, as well..
The buffet food was various, each evening of the week, there was offered another cuisine (french, italian, asian, dominican). What I could add, that they would better concentrate on what they do and prepare best- the local foods, because one of the 3 restaurants a la carte (italian one) was quite poor (menu, taste, imagination and presentation). The other two were much better, especially 'el pescador', but for a restaurant 'a la carte' I would like more originality, not entries and desserts from the buffet..a big plus for the tidiness (dishes, desinfection of hands)
On the other hand, there were a lot of pleasant things- really nice sandy beach with palm trees and coconuts, beautiful territory with its gardens, pool with an open bar.. a lot of animations inside the hotel and a large variety of excursions outside.. Really worth to visit if you want to stroll on the beach and enjoy calm and relaxed holidays..

Room Tip: We had a corner, ground floor suite, so a bit of climatisation noise (it depends on buildings). Try...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bambajoja,

Sunny greetings from all team in Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We highly appreciate your positive comments and we take good note from your suggestions about our A La Carte restaurants to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the Dominican Republic.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This his an excellent hotel to go in La Romana. It is situed by the beach.It's not an enourmous hotel. All the staff we're competent and very kind. To be honest it is still quote as a 5 stars. It still is...but a bit old. The water is not clear blue but if you get a good price and you don't care about blue water this is surely a great place to go.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Joel L,

Receive warm greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience with us and for highlighting the good aspects of you stay in our Hotel, our guests perception in regards to their experiences is extremely important and valuable for us.

We are looking forward to welcome and meet you again in this Caribbean paradise.

Best Regards,

Customer Service LaRomana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!