Just got back from La Romana (Feb. 2 – 9) and am happy to report we had an amazing time! We were terrified to visit this resort after reading so many reviews of sickness and parasites but we ate many different types of food and neither of us experienced any type of sickness. We did meet two people that had been sick but everyone else we spoke to were fine.
We absolutely loved the pool, the large palm trees in the middle make it feel so tropical! The pool is very big and we always had a palapa (although my husband got up early every morning to lay our towels on one). The beach is very nice to sit at, the sand is soft and the palm trees are beautiful but we didn't care for the murky water. It didn't affect us much though, we enjoyed the beach and would walk over to the pool for a dip, usually combined it with a visit to the bar and a top up on our cerveza's!
We were quite impressed with the food. We’ve been to a number of resorts and it has always been hit and miss with the food. Our favourite was the breakfast buffet and the Le Gourmet a la carte restaurant. The beach snack bar was okay, we preferred the lunch buffet (had the same food as the snack bar plus much more). Dinner buffet was pretty good as well, there is a lot of variety at the buffet but the buffet is nearly the same every day/night (even though they tried to switch it up each night with different themes).
Our room (in Villa #10) was lovely. It was not an upgraded room and did not have a very nice view but we were not in our room much so it wasn’t a issue. The room was very clean and the décor was nice, we did not see a single bug in our room. My only complaints about the room are that the glass shower leaked a lot of water onto the floor and for one day & night our air conditioner did not work. Also, we were in an adjoining room and did not know the other occupants – we could hear EVERYTHING in the next room. One night I woke up and heard a sneeze and thought there was an intruder in our room, turns out it was our neighbours. In our opinion, it wouldn’t be worth the cost to upgrade to the Golden or Platinum rooms. They are basically the same with a better view of the pool or maybe a piece of the ocean. The Bouganville (luxury) section, however, looked amazing and we would consider booking our stay there next time.
The staff are all incredible and make this place worth visiting again! The animation staff are very good at making sure everyone is having a great time, especially Daniel, Fransico, Smerlin & Andres. The evening shows were okay, your typical resort entertainment. Maximo the bartender was very good as well! The serving and cooking staff were all very good as well, they are very polite and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. We were impressed at how well most of the staff spoke English and kudos to them, they need to speak to people from all over the world…meaning they need to speak multiple languages.
My only recommendations for this resort are: bring your own travel mug, the plastic cups used at the bar are flimsy and small. If you enjoy floating around in the pool, bring your own inflatable mattress, they are way overpriced at the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services Lake-style pool 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace with sun umbrellas, loungers as well as a pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, football pitch, 2 tennis courts, padel tennis, volleyball and basketball courts Water activity and scuba diving centre Lounge theatre for entertainment Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) 1 main buffet restaurant 3 speciality restaurants 1 snack bar 3 Bars 9 hole golf club next to the hotel, in Playa Nueva Romana Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco, casino and chapel Rooms 400 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Terrace Junior Suite Club Golden (See page 18 Golden Club, Hacienda Club) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: 1 children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Teen's club (11-16 years) Others services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Cash point Car park ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe La Romana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel La Romana
- Santana Beach Resort
- La Romana Gran Bahia Principe