We recently returned from a trip to the Gran Bahia Principe La Romana (Feb 5 - 10th) and we had, overall, a lovely time. The trip wasn't trouble or inconvenience free but all in our party agreed that we would consider returning.
- beautifully maintained grounds
- private beach that was also maintained by the staff. There were sand bugs but we brought bug spray so they didn't bother us very much. Plus, the hotel sprays every evening which made a difference. The water, while not crystal blue, was not dirty or dark brown. Some days it was lighter in clarity than others but it was fine.
- animacion staff were fantastic. We especially like our spanish class each day with Daniel and Fransisco was an energetic host. There was volleyball, tournaments each day (darts, poker, mini golf), beach soccer, water aerobics, etc. Enough to keep my very active children busy in between visits to the ocean and pool.
- the food was fine. I read many reviews prior to our visit regarding an illness at the resort so I broughts lots of hand sanitizer. It did the trick - and plus, my kids now have decent table manners because we constantly reminded them to use utensils! There was lots of variety in terms of the food choices and if you are worried about food safety there are many stations where the cooks make the foods based on the persons specification (omelet station, pasta station, grilled meat station, etc.)
- While the staff was very nice our needs were not always addressed in a timely manner. For example, our toilet broke on the morning of day three of our five day visit. After five phone calls it still never got fixed. Also, one person in our party was stung badly by a jelly fish. This could honestly happen anywhere. My issue was with the lack of response. Because I read in reviews that others had experienced painful jellyfish stings I brought my own vinegar - but it wasn't enough for the size of the sting (back of neck, down back, down one arm). The life guard was not around - away on lunch. The life guard station did not have any vinegar or any first aid supplies. When we asked for help from various staff around the beach or pool they kept sending us to another area of the resort. All we needed was vinegar! I finally had "words" with the front desk and they gave me vinegar to treat the now growing welts. It was very frustrating. Sure, we could have gone to the offsite health clinic but a jellyfish sting really only needs vinegar to treat the initial sting and then I could take it from there with some basic first aid. Thank goodness I brought my own med kit with antiseptic, anti bacterial cream, sting relief, etc or we would have been out of luck.
- Lastly, the resort has rules - no reserving cabanas, no topless sunbathing, casual dress for the restaurants. I have no problems with these rules but they are no enforced in any way. Just don't have the rules then so that everyone has the same expectations,etc.
Overall, the trip was just what we needed to get through the winter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services Lake-style pool 3 Jacuzzis with bar Large sun terrace with sun umbrellas, loungers as well as a pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, football pitch, 2 tennis courts, padel tennis, volleyball and basketball courts Water activity and scuba diving centre Lounge theatre for entertainment Motorised water sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) 1 main buffet restaurant 3 speciality restaurants 1 snack bar 3 Bars 9 hole golf club next to the hotel, in Playa Nueva Romana Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco, casino and chapel Rooms 400 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Air conditioning Ceiling fan Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Terrace Junior Suite Club Golden (See page 18 Golden Club, Hacienda Club) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: 1 children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Teen's club (11-16 years) Others services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Cash point Car park ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, HotelTravel.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe La Romana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel La Romana
- Santana Beach Resort
- La Romana Gran Bahia Principe