“Family Winter Get Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. San Pedro - La Romana, Km 12, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in La Romana
New Paltz, New York
“Family Winter Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We recently returned from a trip to the Gran Bahia Principe La Romana (Feb 5 - 10th) and we had, overall, a lovely time. The trip wasn't trouble or inconvenience free but all in our party agreed that we would consider returning.
Pros:
- beautifully maintained grounds
- private beach that was also maintained by the staff. There were sand bugs but we brought bug spray so they didn't bother us very much. Plus, the hotel sprays every evening which made a difference. The water, while not crystal blue, was not dirty or dark brown. Some days it was lighter in clarity than others but it was fine.
- animacion staff were fantastic. We especially like our spanish class each day with Daniel and Fransisco was an energetic host. There was volleyball, tournaments each day (darts, poker, mini golf), beach soccer, water aerobics, etc. Enough to keep my very active children busy in between visits to the ocean and pool.
- the food was fine. I read many reviews prior to our visit regarding an illness at the resort so I broughts lots of hand sanitizer. It did the trick - and plus, my kids now have decent table manners because we constantly reminded them to use utensils! There was lots of variety in terms of the food choices and if you are worried about food safety there are many stations where the cooks make the foods based on the persons specification (omelet station, pasta station, grilled meat station, etc.)
Cons:
- While the staff was very nice our needs were not always addressed in a timely manner. For example, our toilet broke on the morning of day three of our five day visit. After five phone calls it still never got fixed. Also, one person in our party was stung badly by a jelly fish. This could honestly happen anywhere. My issue was with the lack of response. Because I read in reviews that others had experienced painful jellyfish stings I brought my own vinegar - but it wasn't enough for the size of the sting (back of neck, down back, down one arm). The life guard was not around - away on lunch. The life guard station did not have any vinegar or any first aid supplies. When we asked for help from various staff around the beach or pool they kept sending us to another area of the resort. All we needed was vinegar! I finally had "words" with the front desk and they gave me vinegar to treat the now growing welts. It was very frustrating. Sure, we could have gone to the offsite health clinic but a jellyfish sting really only needs vinegar to treat the initial sting and then I could take it from there with some basic first aid. Thank goodness I brought my own med kit with antiseptic, anti bacterial cream, sting relief, etc or we would have been out of luck.
- Lastly, the resort has rules - no reserving cabanas, no topless sunbathing, casual dress for the restaurants. I have no problems with these rules but they are no enforced in any way. Just don't have the rules then so that everyone has the same expectations,etc.

Overall, the trip was just what we needed to get through the winter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear P1A2G3,

Receive a warm greetings from Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We highly appreciate the time you took to write for us and also your positive comments, we want to inform you that we take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our hotels.

Your feedback and overall view of the Hotel allow us to better improve our daily commitment with quality to meet or even exceed your expectations and hopes while staying with us.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the Dominican Republic.

Customer Service La Romana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Gloucester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Resort was very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The food could be a little better but nice variety. We had a wonderful vacation. Loved the staff and nightly dancing. Wanted to bring the staff home with us.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the main lobby, which made it most convienient.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Saginawphil,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for your recent review and you kind comments about your experience in your family vacations, also for highlighting the good aspects, such as our great staff and the cleanliness of the hotel areas.

Hope to see you soon on your next vacation experience at our little Dominican paradise.

Sincerely yours,

Waterdown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I vacation every winter in the south and I have been to many many resorts over the years. We traveled here Feb 2-9 and I had booked this resort based on the good reviews I had read back in December. Much to my horror the week before we went all of the reviews seemed to change to everyone getting sick. I emailed the resort the day before we left to voice my concerns about the number of people who were coming home having been very ill. They replied to me immediately and reassured me that they take this problem very seriously and were taking all measures to ensure their guests were safe. So off we went....

They give you your check in packages on the bus to the hotel including room keys and wrist bands so that you do not have to spend time checking in on arrival. This was great. We arrived at the hotel and went straight to our room. We were very pleased to find out that we had been given rooms in the new building (Exclusive Section) of the hotel. The rooms were new, spacious and very nice. I had 2 rooms and my other family members were beside me. The walls are very thin and I could hear every word for the other room. Good thing they were our family. I would have hated to have loud people or crying babies etc beside us.

The resort is beautiful, the grounds are constantly being cared for and are lush and green. The Staff is nothing short of wonderful to everyone. They work very had to keep the guests happy. The entertainment staff around the pool are lots of fun and always making sure everyone is having fun. They don't hound you to participate if you don't want to but they do a great job of including everyone in the fun. Daniel is a fun guy full of energy and always smiling. He must sleep well at night because he just doesn't stop having fun and smiling.

The pool is very nice and the beach is beautiful. The water is murky as others have said. Its the one downfall to this resort. We did a day trip to Catolina Island and the snorkelling and the beach there is crystal clear blue water. Breathtakingly beautiful. They need to feed people more on this excursion. We came back starving.

The food is average. Its typical resort food that is found at all resorts in the d.r or Mexico. I have been to many resorts in Punta Cana (and other resorts in other countries) and I would say the food is average. You won't find a big fat steak and gourmet meals but you won't go hungry either. Always a good variety of food to choose from.

We were careful with what we ate. Choosing safe options, stayed away from the seafood and ate meat that was cooked well in front of us. We were a family of 4 and we did NOT get sick. I would say 80% of our flight stayed at this resort and I only heard of one person who was ill the entire week. They felt it was from some seafood.

We ate at the beach buffet everyday for lunch. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, salads etc...and had no issues at all. They are constantly cleaning things and they have hand sanitizer at each restaurant entrance. I feel for those who were ill. What a horrible thing to go through. Hopefully it was an isolated occurrence and those who travel there from now on will not have this experience.

The resort is not massive so being able to walk around easily is very nice. No golf carts needed to get around here and thats a big bonus!

I hope this puts the minds of those who have already booked this resort at ease about becoming sick here. Lets hope nobody else gets sick and enjoys all this beautiful resort has to offer.

We had a great vacation here and I would go back again!!! Safe, Happy and Healthy Travels to ALL!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear SUNLVR333,

Receive cordial greetings from the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We very much appreciate your feedback and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your vacations with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to post and giving us such a good review of your holidays at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana and we are glad to hear that you had a fabulous time.

We are looking forward to welcome you once again in your next family vacations at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana.

Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel for one week from the 2nd of February.. First of all, the organisation of the transfer was not very serious- in the bus we were counted as chicken, but nobody asked to which hotel we were going :)
However, on the arrival, we were offered a glass of 'welcome cocktail' and the check-in was really fast..In the hotel you can pay in euros, dollars, pesos, anything you have just be careful about the exchange rate! The staff was really helpful and nice- even maids often start a smalk talk (in spanish of course) :D Animators' team was really sincere and dynamic with a great sense of humour..
The hotel I would say be more 4* than 5, rooms are big enough, really clean, but a bit old- the remote control of tv didn't work, neither the alarm clock...as well as hairdryer in the bathroom!
The lobby is really spacious and cozy, it's really nice to spend an evening having a drink in a terrace..There is live music in the evening, as well..
The buffet food was various, each evening of the week, there was offered another cuisine (french, italian, asian, dominican). What I could add, that they would better concentrate on what they do and prepare best- the local foods, because one of the 3 restaurants a la carte (italian one) was quite poor (menu, taste, imagination and presentation). The other two were much better, especially 'el pescador', but for a restaurant 'a la carte' I would like more originality, not entries and desserts from the buffet..a big plus for the tidiness (dishes, desinfection of hands)
On the other hand, there were a lot of pleasant things- really nice sandy beach with palm trees and coconuts, beautiful territory with its gardens, pool with an open bar.. a lot of animations inside the hotel and a large variety of excursions outside.. Really worth to visit if you want to stroll on the beach and enjoy calm and relaxed holidays..

Room Tip: We had a corner, ground floor suite, so a bit of climatisation noise (it depends on buildings). Try...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bambajoja,

Sunny greetings from all team in Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We highly appreciate your positive comments and we take good note from your suggestions about our A La Carte restaurants to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the Dominican Republic.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This his an excellent hotel to go in La Romana. It is situed by the beach.It's not an enourmous hotel. All the staff we're competent and very kind. To be honest it is still quote as a 5 stars. It still is...but a bit old. The water is not clear blue but if you get a good price and you don't care about blue water this is surely a great place to go.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Customer S, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Joel L,

Receive warm greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience with us and for highlighting the good aspects of you stay in our Hotel, our guests perception in regards to their experiences is extremely important and valuable for us.

We are looking forward to welcome and meet you again in this Caribbean paradise.

Best Regards,

Customer Service LaRomana
Flesherton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

travelled Jan 26, 2013 to Feb 2, 2013. Lovely resort. Housekeeping on the grounds and in the resort are excellent. Food was good. Beach was good. Staff are outstanding, very friendly and accomodating. We were here in 2010 & would go back. I read the reviews from people who were there the same time as us & I don't think they could have been at the same resort. Some of the comments on being sick could be self inflicted as in TOO MUCH ALCOHOL PERHAPS! Dont hesitate to visit this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Linda R,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at The Grand Bahia Principe La Romana Hotel.

We would like to thank you for taking your time to send us your positive comments which are highly appreciated; for us it is a real pleasure to read that you have spent a nice time in our establishment.

Sincerely yours,

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Unfortunately, like many of the other recent reviews, we too got sick within a few days of our trip. All of our family members were ill at some point (cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting). It looked like many other guests were not feeling great either. They kept running out of mint tea and had a special drink to help with the sickness. I didn't think the food was anything out of the norm for an all-inclusive but having read the other reviews now have concerns over how food is prepared, stored, maintained. People should not be sick and it was evident there was something going on at the resort. To have to pay $2 per Immodium pill if you didn't bring your own (in case you needed it) is quite the money-making scam.

The upside, the grounds were nice and the beach was decent. The staff were friendly and always had a smile.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Gran Bahia Principe experience. I would think twice before booking with them again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Shoe G,

On behalf of our General Manager, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments.

We highly appreciate your positive comments and we take good note from your suggestions to continue working hard improving our quality in all our services.

We would like to highlight that our Hygiene & Alimentary Security Department makes regular inspections with the control risk system of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points and please allow us to comment that our hotel was within the parameters established by the health and safety guidelines.

We would like to let you know that we are sorry about the unfortunate situation you went through during your holiday. We would like to thank you for having chosen to vacation with us.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel to demonstrate you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years, and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Best regards,

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!