“Absolutely amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe La Romana to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra San Pedro-Romana km 12, El Soco. San Pedro, La Romana, Dominican Republic (Formerly Santana Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in La Romana
“Absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife often fly to the Dominican Republic and have visited many resorts and hotels, but in my experience, Bahia Principe is in a caliber all its own. The people they have as staff are extremely helpful. I stood as golden member and was treated as a king! I have never met people as dedicated to make you comfortable as I did there! The young lady who assisted me whom's name I will never forget did everything possible to accommodate me and my wife. Thank you señorita claudia, and thank you Gran Bahia Principe! Can't wait to see you in June 2013! :)

• Stayed October 2012
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Mr. Juan Carter,

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Gran Bahía Príncipe La Romana, specially from our Customer Service Department.

We are so glad after having read your comment about your experience in our Hotel, It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

It is music to our ears to learn that our Staff made you feel like a King, and how dedicate Specially Ms. Claudia, we will let her know that you mentioned her and how remarkable her assistance was for the enjoyment of your stay with us.

Looking forward to receiving you shortly and send our regards to your wife on our behalf.

Kindest regards,

2,092 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Polish first
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

IGNORE the bad reviews. This was a beautiful vacation resort. I went with my better half for six days.We got back on the 21st of this month and we did not want to leave. We had a great time. The service we got from every one was excellent. The grounds and the beach are kept very clean by the hotel staff. The room was nice and big and the food was excellent. Alexis and Yerlon from the main dining area were awesome. Although everyone at the hotel gave us excellent service. We can't wait to go back. They also have good 24 hour security.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the pool and beach if you love the water. We booked through Cheap Carribbean...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Tina,

Please receive our warmest regards on behalf of the team at Gran Bahia Principe La Romana, especially our Customer Services Department.

We are very grateful that you took the time to express your comments and experience during your recent visit, your comments are a valuable reference for other customers who are considering us for their vacations.

We want to thank you for choosing our resort as your destination, we are delighted to learn that we have achieved your complete satisfaction, as this is our number one Goal!!

Is full of joy that we inform you and confirm that we will presenting to Alexis, Yerlon and their Boss your comments that made the difference during your stay.

I remain at your service and we look forward to having you as our guests again .

Customer Service
Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We went to this resort on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time! Very friendly staff ,whom all speak English,well at 90% do. Very clean rooms and very nicely maintained grounds. Food is decent,not gourmet,but a nice variety. The Le Gourmet was our favorite ala carte restaurant.Its great to be able to get picked up right at the hotel to go on our excursions. Thank u to cheapcarribean.com for all your help in making our trip much less stressful too! Leonaldo was our rep and was very personable and made sure everything ran smoothly! The only negative would have to be the casino! Very hot do to no air conditioning in there. We weren't able to stay in there too long.Otherwise we would definitely recommend this resort!

Room Tip: if u want to be close to the beach and pool you will need to upgrade to the Royal Golden option othe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear LLL24

Receive warm greetings from all the Staff working at Gran Bahía Príncipe La Romana.

We are so glad after having received your message letting us know your experience in our Hotel, and that you have enjoyed it, specially our service, rooms and grounds. In regards of your comments about the casino, you can rest assured that we will be discussed with our management in order to solve this matter shortly.

Looking forward to receiving you once again and congratulations on your wedding. We wish you many years or togetherness and happiness.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I take a vacation each year in October around the time of our anniversary. This year we had vouchers on Delta that worked in the Dominican Republic and/or Caribbean. The vouchers were highly restrictive, and the only property that worked with our RCI timeshare availability was Gran Bahia Principe La Romana. We stayed Saturday to Saturday and were very happy with how it all turned out. We would consider returning in the future.

Upon arrival to the airport (Santa Domingo, which is 50 minutes away) we discovered that our pre-arranged shuttle was not there. However, the shuttle company was able to adjust to get us to the resort. It was at that time that we discovered that the people from Dominican Republic are good people, willing to please, and make up for mistakes if they are made. They know that tourism is their largest source of income. Turns out that the shuttle was incorrectly scheduled for the closer airport (we were at the farther one), and once the staff at Gran Bahia identified that, they took care of the situation. I'm not sure who made the mistake, but Gran Bahia certainly took ownership to make our vacation right. More on that later.

Our week was a very simple relaxing week. Sleep in late, grab breakfast, sit on the beach under the thatch umbrella reading a book and drinking fruity drinks till the afternoon, head to a late lunch, back to the room for a nap and a couple of beers, then off to dinner and maybe some late night entertainment.

We found the buffet food quality was good. Yes, some of the food was somewhat bland, but given that they are making it for a variety of tastes in mass quantities, it worked. You could doctor it up with a variety of relishes as needed. Nothing was "bad" to eat; we finished everything we sampled, and I tried to explore a little more each day we were there. Before we left on our trip the food was the greatest concern. We heard so many complaints from friends; we don't agree with their assessment as what we had was certainly good. Having a professional Chef at the resort is probably helping. More on that in a second too...

The snack bars were similar quality to the buffet. We ate at the snack bar by the sea once with the buffet, and again via a menu. Our choice was to time our lunches for the main buffet which had more variety.

During our stay we were in their highest level VIP program officially called Privilege Club (some call it Golden Club). So in addition to their buffet we were able to visit their three on site restaurants as a part of our package. That food was excellent! Chef Jesus Trasverso's team did a great job of making us feel special each time we visited the various themed restaurants. Foods that I was not expecting to 'wow' me, did. I had the Salmon two different nights (Italian restaurant), my wife and I really liked the asparagus soup (Gourmet restaurant), the salad and desert bars at the Italian and Seafood themed nights were really good. There were a variety of other dishes that we tried - all of them good.

On our last night there the staff treated us to an anniversary cake and champagne in the Italian themed restaurant. This extra on site restaurant visit (we originally had four nights) was due to the mix up with the incoming shuttle discussed above. The Privilege Club staff went above and beyond to correct that and make our trip even more special.

We didn't visit the pools other than walking past or to the bar to grab a drink on the way to the room. While the beach was relaxing, we didn't think that the pool would give us the same effect. Lots of music, lots of people that looked like they were having a great time, but the loud crowd is not for us. We didn't take any of the tours either. While the ATV, zip line etc. tour looked like fun, and we heard from another couple that it was a blast, we still wanted our relaxation more and skipped the tours. The resort staff asked us a few times, but they were low/no pressure, which was greatly appreciated.

Our room was in the beach facing building (#27) second floor. The balcony had a full view of the sea, where other rooms may have partial or no views depending on how far back they are from the beach. The bed was comfortable enough to sleep soundly at night even though it was rather firm. The TV had quite a few stations, some of which had English language shows on - typically on the WB. The mini bar was well stocked, but we were disappointed that there were Pepsi products rather than Coke (Couldn't find a Coke on the resort either, which wasn't great). The mini bar is typically stocked with a few items. Due to the VIP we had a few extras in the minibar, along with a daily fruit basket delivered to our room that had wonderful whole pineapple with the insides cubed. The mini bar could have used a defrost to work better, but it did get the new stock of products cold overnight or over a long day of cooling. The room did have an issue with the power once, but a call to the front desk resolved that while we were at dinner. The rooms have these funny key cards that keep the power running, which is probably an energy conservation thing. For some reason after a storm-related power outage our power box key card decided to stop working correctly (as mentioned resolved quickly). We also had an issue with the door key on the day we were leaving, but the maid we had come to know helped us get into the room. It turned out that the door key batteries were going out, and I'm sure the staff resolved it before the next guests checked in.

The grounds are very impressive and clean. There are many staff members cleaning, trimming, improving, etc. all day long. The resort, and its parent company which appears to be building out down the beach as well, certainly understand that the details of the resort are important. There are several security people roaming the grounds day and night. I don't believe there are crimes in the resort - just an added precaution by having security people there.

As others have indicated, the nightly show is not polished. We found the nightly shows more humorous, but still entertaining to close out the night. You could tell that some of the performers do have more training than others - maybe they aspire to bigger things. For the shows that didn't have performers and just a host we found them (audience participation skits) interesting, even though we couldn't speak Spanish that well. Overall, the nightly show was not the reason for our visit to this resort, so the quality of the show was not that important to us.

The Casino was a place we visited once. We didn't spend any time there even though it was nearly empty. The resort could possibly entice the guests to start spending there, to drive more involvement at the Casino. In Las Vegas where we're from a $5 free play would get you started, which might make you spend more in the long run especially if you are having fun. I doubt that many people really stepped inside the Casino.

The spa was similar to other spas we've visited. A good relaxing massage and my wife had a pedicure. Both good quality and priced reasonably.

The Internet access in the room requires a password. We didn't request it as we didn't really want to be connected that much. When we needed to check email we did so from the lobby area. The internet access was rather slow, weak, etc. but did get the job done. I saw several people using Skype-like services from their mobile devices in the Lobby, but that could have been over 3G/4G carriers, likely not the Wi-Fi. Where we needed a better experience we used the two desktop computers from the Privilege Club area.

In summary we really enjoyed our stay - it was better than we expected going in. While the resort may still be working their way to 5 stars, the things that we wanted were certainly as good as we expected or better. If there was a place where we personally needed something different we are certain that if asked the staff would have done what they could to make it better. Will we return? Possibly in the future. The travel to the Dominican is long from the US West Coast, but if I had to pick any of the past resorts we've visited on our anniversary vacations, the Gran Bahia is certainly on the short list of places to see a second time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Mr. Tony,

Receive our warmest regards from Gran Bahía Príncipe La Romana, especially from our Customer Service department.

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience in our hotel, We are thrileed to read your detailed and objective comment here in TripAdvisor and for letting us know that you enjoy your stay at our Hotel

In the near future, we hope to welcome you in any of our Bahia Principe hotels where we are recognized for our commitment to excellence customer service. In such a case, please feel welcome to contact our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts that we will be at your services for anything you may need.

We will be waiting to welcome you to this beautiful paradise we call Dominican Republic, we will an Honor to have you for a sencond chance as a Repiter Guest.

Customer Service
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I visited the resort more than a year ago but since Im in the mood to write reviews I am adding this one.

This was my first trip to DR, We took the VIP package and were given our keys on the bus ride to the resort so the checkin was a breeze. I loved the welcome dance and drink, I managed to smuggle a bottle back home when I returned.

The rooms were clean and huge, Villa 25 Pool facing. he maid did a great job daily and the turn down service was so professional. They would change the beach towels clean the bed and place chocolates on the night table, I did this whether they were tipped or not.

The pools were awesome where my 8 year old spent most of her time, it was cleaned and tested daily at around 10am. I noticed this almost daily. The grounds were kept very clean .

The food at this resort was the best on any of the all inclusive vacations I had but since I have visited Cuba mostly and this was my first trip to DR, it could be possible that food standard in DR is way better to Cuba. They had variety for food and desert.. The room service was included in the package which was a first time for me.

The beach was clean they have a private island you can take a peddle boat and row yourself to this island which we did. There are pebble on the beach so you need water shoes. There are multiple bars on the beach which is an advantage

Casino was empty and I mostly stayed away from the shows or disco due to the bugs. I visited one of the shows what I disliked however was the animation staff forcing you to join them on stage

I would recommend this resort to anyone any everyone. We had a great time and was well worth for what we paid.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Brown Canadian,

We truly regret the inconvenient with the casino and animation staff, we will discuss this matter with the person in charge to avoid it happens again.

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit to any of our hotels that forms our family Bahía Príncipe hotels & Resorts where our commitment to customer service is for what we are recognized around the world and thank you very much for recommending us!!

Kindest regards,

Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at this Resort for 6 days in the second week of September.Check in was a breeze. The Receptionist was really kind and handed us our welcome drink,keys and Resort Map. She also told us a lot about the Resort/Restaurants/Bars,one of the Bellboys gave us a ride to our room. We stayed at room 2742 it was an Ocean Front room on the 2nd. floor with a gorgeous view. The room was really clean and comfortable, no complains at all.
It's true for some reasons the power went off sometimes and it got hot in the room but after one phone call it was taken care of. Another thing, there was a shortage on wash cloths but, we just called the Towel Service and they brought us more, this was not big deal for us. (An easy fix would be to just bring your own.)
What I liked the most was the layout of the Resort, everything was in a short distance, no high rise buildings and a beautiful scenery. The grounds were kept very clean and all day long we saw Staff cleaning up, the Entertainment Team really worked hard too. But we rather chill under a nice Palm Tree on the Beach.
All the Staff we got in Contact with were helpful, polite, and friendly. Just a couple of Bartenders were rude but, we just ignored them.
There were big selections of food everyday, sorry but the PIZZA was a mess (for me).
I have had much better drinks and food in other "All-Inclusive Resorts" but, I never went hungry in my bed.One thing though, they had really yummy desserts.
The Pool was nice but, it closed way too early, we used to be able to go swimming at Midnight in other Resorts.
The Beach was wide and clean,with a lot of Palm Trees and lounging chairs.The Sea had no Caribbean colors such as turquoise/blue like we were used to but, the water was clean.
All in all we had a good Vacation, no major complains, plus the prize was right.

Room Tip: Villa 27 Ocean Front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Ms. Seg67.

We apologize for the attitude or impression you got form some of our Bartender as you mention, please rest assure that that is not the norm or treatment our Guest should receive and this will be discussed with the Responsible in order to secure that this wont happened again.

Very sincerely,

Customer Services
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just got back, we were susposed to spend 14 nights at this hotel, we stayed 4, the only reason we stayed for 4 was we could get out of there any faster. We have been to the Dominican Republic a couple of times before, so this place was a shock to say the least, we arrived early evening on a Friday, only three couples off our flight, the hotel didn't seem to know anything about us, and seemed to care even less, ( if your expecting a welcome drink as is the norm forget it didn't happen) finally got dumped in our room and left to our own devices to find our way round meal timings ect. Went to dinner, very small selection very basic, the same dismal offerings were produced at breakfast the following morning. The weekends are given over to local people, so as a visitor you can forget it, you'll only get served once all the locals are catered for, if your very lucky, very much got the impression we were not wanted at the resort, when lunch on the Saturday was as dire as the previous meals, with the added joy of trying to get a drink out of the staff,we contacted our travel agent to get us out of there. We went for the gold club option, no difference from standard had to constantly chase for things we were told came as part of gold club, 5 star? 3 star at the very best, If this had been our first trip to the Carribean we would never go back, as it is we would never stay at this resort again, and never recomend it to anyone, it really is a bad reflection on a fantastic Island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Mr. Richard

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time to share your experience in our Hotel. Please, feel assured that we are taking your observations into great consideration with the aim to reinforce the quality of our services.

We are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations and we regret your observations about our food concepts since, our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. In the same way, we will look for new alternatives to improve our services specialty restaurants and Golden Club.

You can be sure that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guests’ needs and expectations. Besides, now your concerns are ours, therefore it’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to show you our commitment to excellence customer service.

Best regards,

Customer Services.

Been to Grand Bahia Principe La Romana? Share your experiences!