“Great day out” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean World Adventure Park, Marina and Casino is the most complete entertainment complex of the Dominican Republic, located in Cofresi Beach, just 3 miles west from the town of Puerto Plata. - This entertainment complex is made of an elegant Marina, a unique marine park and the outstanding building where our clients will have the opportunity to enjoy restaurants, bars, and theatre with live dance show, casino and a disco-lounge. - Ocean World Adventure park is the most advanced interactive marine park of its kind. Guests will have the opportunity to touch, pet and feed all their favorite animals and mammal friends, including dolphins, sea lions, sharks, stingrays, exotic tropical birds; meet tigers, walk through rain forests and much, much more! Truly an experience of a lifetime.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The entire day was fantastic, we booked interactions with both the dolphins and sea lions, I have swam with dolphins before, but this time was far superior to the last as we got more time, and did far more and it was a very reasonable price! We had things to do all day, though this may be different for those just paying for admission but the shows are great and there is a small fish pool for all visitors to swim in. A great day out and would definitely recommend it!

Visited July 2012

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ossining, New York
“Awesome Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Purchased a full day excursion with the Dolphin Encounter. They forgot to pick us up in the morning so we arrived a few hours late but that ended up being a good thing. I loved the Dolphin Encounter as it was funny and amazing to be that close to such an intelligent and friendly animal! The shows were nice and there was a lot to see on the grounds. I don't think there is enough to do there for a WHOLE day but you can relax at the "beach" or the Tiger Grotto pool during the down time. Speaking of the tigers, I felt so bad for them! It was so hot and they are kept in a small area. They also didn't get in the water at all while I was there. The bird santuary was cool but if you don't like birds, don't go in! They end up all over you! The snorkeling pool was small but pretty cool as well. Overall, I'm glad I went.

Visited February 2013
“Experience of a life time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I would Recommend this trip to every one! Swimming with the dolphins was truly amazing, we opted for the royal swim which was well worth the few extra dollars.

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“Great Attraction IF You Purchase Animal Interactions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I am from NYC and have been to many aquariums, zoos and interactive animal experience attractions throughout the world. In all, Ocean World is okay. If you purchase a regular admission and have ever been to a good zoo or aquarium, I believe that you will be disappointed. There aren't many things to do, unless you plan your visit solely around the shows and feeding schedule. The interactive experiences were very good, though.

We purchased our tickets online after many back and forth emails with the sales department. After reading reviews about the short time you'd actually need to walk around the property, all I wanted to do was schedule times for our interactions ahead of time. However, they would not allow you to do that. They said you had to arrive and then whatever times were left at that point, they'd schedule you for. We didn't want to potentially spend all day on property, but that's essentially what happened. I think this policy should probably be revisited.

We arrived at 9:30am and were scheduled for our one hour Royal Dolphin Swim at 12:30pm and half-hour Sea Lion Encounter at 3:00pm. This meant we would be spending the entire day at Ocean World in the pouring rain. We went to the Sea Lion Show twice and the Dolphin Show twice because there really wasn't anything else to do to kill all of the time in between. I suppose we could have gone to the Casino or something, but we didn't.

One of the running jokes between my friends was the toucans of the Dominican Republic, so I was pretty excited to see them. In the bird area, you can feed parrots, toucans and other birds. The staff will take photos for you with your camera, as well. There’s an area at Ocean World where you can snorkel with some fish, but it’s not part of a beach or anything so we didn’t do it. You can look in a pool of sting rays where you’ll see them flapping around (I highly suggest an amazing place called Discovery World in Orlando, FL for the opportunity to swim with them. Great experience there.). I loved seeing the tigers in the Tiger Grotto, but at the same time, the space is entirely too small to keep two full size tigers. I am an animal lover and have some issues with animals being kept in captivity, unless I can clearly see with my own eyes that they are well taken care of, have ample space and seem happy. The grotto was filled with children, many who were banging on the glass. The staff did nothing to stop this.

I am not sure where the sea lions were actually kept because the entire area is closed in. You can see small pools, though I hope there is actually a larger area and that the pools are only a holding area for the shows. The sea lions seemed to really like their trainers. That's always a plus. But, again, I didn't think the space they were in was big enough, unless they have a more expansive area for them when the park is closed. The dolphin area is expansive and it seems that they are able to swim free in this area when the park is closed. The one thing I noticed was that their beaks were all discolored and looked banged up. I don't know if this has to do with them trying to get out of their enclosure because of it's size or not. I don't know enough about dolphins to say, but I have never seen this before and have been around dolphins in captivity quite a bit.

The Sea Lion Encounter was hysterical. The sea lion that I had the opportunity to interact with was huge. Like 700lbs huge. He was a sweetheart. The trainers were all amazing and really nice. The sea lion cracked me up the entire time. The encounter lasts half hour. I think that ages 10 and up would really enjoy this. They tell you about the animal and show you on a plush toy and they the sea lion comes right up to you, lays his head on your lap, etc. You play catch with a ball and also have the opportunity to feed him. In St. Thomas, we participated in a sea lion encounter in the pool for an hour and were able to really work hands on with the animals. I really enjoyed that, but was also happy with the experience at Ocean World.

The Royal Dolphin Swim is actually two different encounters combined. First, you’ll do the regular Dolphin Swim for 30 minutes. This is where you’re in deep water (they give you a life jacket). Something to note is that you cannot have anything in your hair. All hair elastics, clips, etc. must be taken out before you can go in the water. You’ll interact with two dolphins. You’ll do the dorsal fin swim which is just amazing. Then, a dolphin will jump over you. This was amazing, I had never experienced that before. A dolphin will also push you across the water with your hands in the air. You’ll also be able to dance with the dolphin among other things. It was really great. Then, you’ll go over to the beach area for the second portion of your swim. You’ll be primarily in shallow water interacting with two younger dolphins. At one point, you’re on a boogie board and one of the dolphins pushes you across the water. You’ll also have the opportunity to feed the dolphins. I would have to say that the Royal Dolphin Swim actually trumps the experiences at Atlantis (which to date had been my favorite interactive dolphin program)

I want to point out that our day at Ocean World was somewhat pricy. We spent about $250 each on the tickets (Royal Dolphin Swim and Sea Lion Encounter). This was somewhat in line with places selling the same encounters as Ocean World. A $3 locker rental was not included in this which I thought was a little strange, but whatever. Just make sure to have a few dollars with you. The tickets included lunch, but the weirdest part was that lunch did not include a beverage (not even a water or a soda), just the buffet they had out. All of our money was in the locker at that point. So, again, keep some money out. Even if it gets wet, they'll accept it. We also had the water slide included in our ticket price, but it was cold and rainy so we didn’t really want to venture over there. The CD with your photos from your encounters is $80. This was the best option for us since individual photos were like $20 each, and we had participated in two encounters. This is far more expensive than the other places we have purchased experience photo CDs from (St. Thomas, Atlantis, New Zealand, Greece, Barbados, etc). But, we always do it because they are such great memories.

Visited January 2013
Brockville, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Casino is alot of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is the second year in a row back to this casino and it was better this year than last the owner has added a lot of slots and new table games which made it even better if you like casinos you need to visit this casino while on vacation

Visited February 2013