“I'm doing all 27 next year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Damajaqua Cascades (27 Waterfalls)

Damajaqua Cascades (27 Waterfalls)
Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sundridge, Canada
“I'm doing all 27 next year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We took a taxi and did the bottom 12 waterfalls. It was beautiful and we had a great time. We will be back next year to try all 27.

• Polish first
Manassas Park
3 attraction reviews
“A must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Unique excursion and one that I will remember. Not for those with any mobility issues but also don't need to be a world class athlete. Make sure to buy a waterproof camera and enjoy the trip.

Maple, Canada
“must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

what a rush!! high lite of my visit!! must be fit and bring water shoes. dont buy a water camera purchase the video from your guide well worth it!!!

Troy, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
“A Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I agree with John C's review. A really great time and a lot of fun for not much money (if you don't take the tour).

I drove a group of five up to the falls in a rental car. I'm 61, my French-Canadian friend Jean-Guy is 66 and the three young ladies we took are in their mid/late twenties. One of the girls, Mariella, is an acquaintance of mine from our conversations at Bambu bar in Cabarete (where she is a bartender). While talking one evening I mentioned that Jean-Guy and I were planning on visiting 27 waterfalls, she had never been there and was interested, so I invited her to join us (along with her sister and cousin).

The location is a bit south of Imbert off the main road from Puerto Plata to Santiago. Most visit as part of a tour but I had read that it was a better experience to avoid the organized tours (because they only took you to the 7th fall). We paid our entrance fees, $10 or so for us gringos and about half of that for the Dominicanas, received our life jackets, helmets and two guides and headed up to the top - waterfall 27. It was a moderately strenuous hike up, not too bad, but would be nasty if the ground was saturated or muddy. A couple of the girls were huffing and puffing and needed a short rest, but in general we had little trouble getting to the top. I had heard that the trip was dangerous in muddy conditions, but I didn't get the sense that it would be that horrible - perhaps the route up has been improved. Based on photo time stamps it appears it took us almost exactly an hour to get to the 27th waterfall - they also suggest that we took just about 2 hours to get back to the bottom.

It was a lot of fun jumping or sliding into the pools. The day we were there was a bit cool and rainy early - but sunny later. Initially the water seemed quite cool - but afterwards felt refreshing - even though the day was not overly warm. Most of the jumps are pretty short - maybe 12-15' but there is one higher one of maybe 25'. Many elect to do a slide instead of the jump but the jump is the way to go - mkuch more exciting. The guides position themselves to assist you in getting in position to safely slide or jump and instruct you on how to position your body. One also carried my good DSLR for me so I could let loose and jump in the pools - he only had a plastic trash bag to 'protect' the camera with and I would suggest you either bring your own waterproofing or not take anything that could be damaged - I took a water proof bag to protect my items and had no problems. I'd also suggest you wear decent water shoes or sandals with good thick soles for the trip up. One word of caution - on the highest jump I actually made contact with the bottom and jammed my ankle a little - no lasting damage but I'm thinking it could have been worse. I'd suggest not going in with legs fully extended, but rather fold into a canonball configuration before impact. On another occasion I came off a slide a little wonky and scraped a knee - probably due to me not maintaining the proper slide posture - again, no real damage. I am 6' and about 205#s, so maybe my size contributed.

Anyway, a great adventure and I will be back for more - I recommend it highly. There was some sort of barbecue available at the bottom on return, but we didn't partake of it. Mariella suggested a fish restaurant on the route back. The restaurant was the sort of place I wouldn't consider in a million years on my own, but since the others were all for it I gave it a shot and am glad I did. I've had Dominican style fried fish before and have always found it very good - this, too, was excellent and the open air nature of the restaurant made it all the more interesting. The restaurant is named "Parada Jhoan" and is located along the road to Puerto Plata in Maimon.

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place is amazing but not for the out of shape or faint of heart. A friend took me. Tours are really expensive. I only spent about $10.

About 30 minutes out of Puerto Plata toward Santiago.

You can do 7, 12 or 27 waterfalls. Opted for 12. Should have done 27!

Jump and slide down the waterfalls as you descend. Quite the rush!

Helmets and life jackets make it at least somewhat safe.

Guides are awesome!