“Amazing trip, but there were some issues!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

Save Saved
You added Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Cofresi Beach, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club Crown Villas)   |
North East PA
“Amazing trip, but there were some issues!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Well I just returned back from Lifestyle Holiday Resort Villa. First let me say that I'm a Platinum Member here, so my review will be from my point of view as a member and not a regular guest (although I once was - and had a great time).

So I arrived April 23, 2013 from Newark NJ to the Puerta Plata airport with a group of family and friends around 1pm. There was a driver waiting for us in the lobby with our family name. The driver took our bags along with some baggage handlers whom looked for a tip when they were done. Now the bags went into a separate vehicle that followed the limo. Inside the limo was beer, wine & and liquor.

We arrived at the resort about 30mins later to Villa reception. This is when our set of issues happened. The staff at the reception area were different than past visits, and the staff here really needs customer service training. Not say they were rude directly, but they gave fake smiles and greets. Also when I asked for water, they referred me to the Sports Bar down stairs, rather just give me one out fridge behind the counter. However I made it past this hic-up, and when ahead to pay inclusive fee for the 6 bedroom Villa I booked 10 months in advance. I was informed that the 6 bedroom wasn't available and they would give me 2x 3bedroom Villas. I sighed a little but it was ok, as I was warned that if they could give me a 6 bedroom when I arrived I would get the 2x 3 bedroom Villas, so this didn't catch me completely off guard.

I left my guest in the reception area, while I went with the Villa "greeter"(not sure what her title was again) to inspect the two Villas. Both Villas they showed me were old (villa 32B and one behind it). This didn't sit well with me or my spouse at all. In fact my spouse went back to the Villa Reception and demanded they give us two different Villas of better quality. While the spouse was in rage mode, I decided to have a seat, as I never had this problem before. Once everything was cleared up (supposedly they didn't know our membership level and just gave us anything). We ended up staying in Villa 51 and Villa 50 which were great!

Each room in the Villas had central air condition and each Villa had WiFi (you need to get a user name and passcode from Villa Reception- they should give this to you when you check-in, but they don't. You
need to ask). The pools in the back yard were great, although they didn't indicate the depth, but think its about 5ft.

Once everyone unpacked and settled in when picked up the golf cart and our vacation finally started. Making dinner reservations were easy and not a hassle. We pretty had no issues since check-in. The Villas were cleaned daily and the pool man came around daily too.

The restaurants were good, although the Italian was ok at best. I enjoyed the Azul and Simple Gourmet best. I'll try and post some videos and photos for everyone to see. I had a hard time finding real videos from actual guest, so I made it my goal to record one while I was there this year.

Serenity Beach was great, and the VIP Party is something not to miss! I had never seen a party done so big before! Also the Bravissimo show is now at the resort which was a great Vegas style show!

Overall the vacation was great and a chef came over to our Villa to throw us barbecue at no additional cost. Since our membership came with Ocean World tickets we also went there, although it wasn't anything special in my opinion. Probably good if you have kids, but we left ours in the states. I would go back but I hope the reception staff have been re-trained or replaced.

Returning the golf cart was kind of out of the way, as the staff wouldn't let me just drop if off at the reception at asked me to bring it back to golf cart center. That's inconvenient for guest checking out. Once again the reception desk wasn't the best in this situation. They just pointed to an area behind the building and said I need to take the cart there and walk back! I would expect someone to at least walk from behind the counter and physically show me where to go and not just point to some space behind the building. I can't speak about other reception areas, but Lifestyle needs to focus more on customer service and less on expanding.

Garcia the housemaid at Villa 51 was great and Junior whom I see every year was excellent and an asset to the company, as he's always smiling and was one of the most helpful people on the resort.

• Stayed April 2013

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Madison, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited for a week April 13-20 with a bunch of friends and family. Very clean and great food. People very friendly. Nice beaches.went horseback riding,zip lining,casino, ocean world, dune buggies just lots of fun.

Room Tip: Villas are awesome!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have just returned from a three week vacation with our kids,spouses and one extra friend. Had a fantastic 6 bedroom villa with a great breakfast chef and housekeeper. Shareholder bracelet is the only way to go, no problem booking best restaurants and access to all beaches.
Started playing tennis after a 15 year layoff. See LILO at the courts by the Presidential Suites for great coaching.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

WE VACATIONED AT LIFESTYLES CROWN VILLAS, NOVEMBER 2010, WE ALL FLEW DOWN SAME AIRLINE AND STAYED ON THE RESORT IN 3 BEAUTIFUL VILLA'S, FAMILY AND 4 COUPLES, WHAT A WEEK TO REMEMBER.
The food, entertainment,and staff on the resort was absolutly excellent. since then we have been continung coming to this resort, we have gone to other vacations but for what you get on this complete resort dosenot compare to any other vacation that i have been on, and the price is awsome for what you get. the accomidations are very clean and lots of room in the villa's. it is expecially nice when you have your own pool to enjoy if you want. Our special night was the vip party that the resort continues to have every sunday night, the entertainment is wonderful to enjoy. There is so much more to tell...just go and visit cofressi beach and relax and have the best vacation ever. "CHEERS"

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice to stay in but our favorites are villa's and presidential suites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that all in all, we did have a great trip. We do plan on returning next year. We love this place. There were some problems, and lots of great stuff, which can happen ANYWHERE. I will be as detailed as I can, however, please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

We booked through a Shareholder, which entitled us to Gold Bands and nearly unlimited access to the resort (with the exception of Deja View Beach, and Azul restaurant, which are for Shareholders only). We had been to the resort last year, so we already knew all our favorite spots, where to go at what times, etc. Serenity beach is my favorite place - I spent a lot of time there. Harmony beach has great food, but I didn't like to hang out there. We'd go for drinks & lunch, then I'd go back to Serenity Beach. Serenity had great food, but I left sometimes during the day for variety. VIP Pool was ok - it's beautiful but each day we went it was very rowdy, so we never really hung out there. Sports Bar was our favorite go-to bar, especially at night - same as last year.

As for the Villa. We stayed in a 3 BR villa. Upon arrival, they tried to put us in Villa 30 which was the most horrible thing I'd ever seen. Old, dated, broken down, dirty - pretty gross. I demanded another villa, to which I was told nothing else was available. I stood my ground and made it clear I wasn't staying in Villa 30. Miraculously, they "found" another available villa - Villa # 53. This one was not quite what I was expecting booking through a Shareholder, but it was acceptable. It was older, and the kitchen was sub-par. But, it was clean, had comfortable beds, etc. It was fine. Not the nice villas pictured on the website, and not what I was expecting. Did it ruin my trip? Absolutely not. The pool area was a nice perk. Again, not as nice / large as I was expecting, and I certainly was disappointed the first day there. But, did it ruin our trip? No. Did we enjoy the pool and use it every day? Yes. We weren't thrilled with the villa, and I'm not going to lie, I was near tears the first day because it wasn't the grand, new villa I was hoping for. But, after the first day I was over it and everything was fine.

Breakfast in the villa - skip it. The food is brought from a truck already cooked on plates, and then the maid microwaves it. If you're only looking for eggs, fruit and some bacon, it's fine. However, if you're into the french toast and pancakes, go to the buffet at Presidential Suites instead. The bread items were microwaved and rubbery / rock hard - totally inedible. We only ate breakfast in the villa a few days - we went to Pres Suites buffet the other times. Same food, but fresh and not microwaved.

BBQ in the villa - possibly the best meal we had all week, only second to Jazz. If it's available to you, do it. SO GOOD. We did this our last night with all of our friends who were at the resort at the same time, and it was an incredibly nice way to end the trip.

Restaurants:

Skewers - we were really excited about skewers because it's the first restaurant we ate at last year, and it's outside right on the beach. So, we planned on making our first dinner there a yearly thing for each trip. However, we remembered once we arrived that we didn't like the appetizer spread they automatically serve - chicken livers, okra, etc - and there were A LOT of bugs. Totally to be expected in the Caribbean, but they kept landing in our food so it did kill the appetite. Not the resort's fault at all, but we'll probably skip it next year. The Kafta kebabs were good for the main entree.

Sunday Party - this is where we ate the second night, as all restaurants were closed. Party was wonderful as usual - danced the night away on stage. Food was better than I remembered it being last year. I avoided seafood (especially the lobster) at all costs, as I do think it made me sick last year, and I was absolutely fine. They had these lamb pitas (think GYRO) that were AMAZINGLY GOOD.

Rodizzio - The Brazilian place where they bring out all different meats, etc. Very good - same as last year. Salad bar was awesome and the yellow rice is out of this world. Some of the meats were a little dry on one time around, then they came back with the same meat (chicken) and it was moist. Depends on the batch, I guess. Pepper steak was the best thing they had - every table asked for 2nd's and 3rd's. DELICIOUS.

Jazz - Best meal of the trip. Three of us ordered the lamb chops which were amazing, and the other had the filet mignon which was also very good. This was my first experience with soup on the resort, also, and from then out I made sure to have soup at every meal. The Dominican people really know their soup. AMAZING. Dessert left a bit to be desired for me, but, I'm not really a dessert person to begin with.

Simply Gourmet - HORRIBLE. Absolutely horrible. We remembered once we sat down that we didn't like it last year, either. It was just atrocious. I don't think I've ever had a meal so bad in my life. And it was all of our meals, too. Not just that I was picky, or not happy. It was all just horrible. We won't eat here again. I'd suggest steering clear.

Bellini (Italian) - this was just ok. It wasn't horrible, but nothing to write home about either. We certainly had enough to eat, it just wasn't out of this world is all.

Blue Lagoon - HORRIBLE. Absolutely horrible. Service was not good at all - in fact, we're still waiting for the after dinner tea & coffee they offered us. Food was gross, service was horrible - we won't be eating here again. Last year was the same, but we figured we'd give it another shot. Big mistake. GROSS and frustrating.

Villa BBQ - worth noting again. Best food under Jazz all week. Absolutely insanely delicious and so nice to be at the villa with friends. They sent a chef and a waiter, we didn't have to lift a finger, get dressed, go anywhere, etc. It was PERFECT.

Some other things to note -

Villas Reception and VIP Tower Customer service on the bottom floor are some of the most rude people I have ever encountered in my life. They have a very bad attitude and could care less about anything, or how you feel. I avoided them like the plague, and was nothing but frustrated when I DID have to deal with them. For instance, on our last day, we were confirmed to take the limo to the airport. That morning, a guy came with a shuttle for our luggage and told us to go get on the helicopter. My husband didn't really like the heli last year, so the driver took me to the bottom floor of the tower to talk to the customer service people and figure out why they didn't send the limo. The gal proceeded to scream at the shuttle driver in spanish, and then scream at me that the helicopter AND limo were booked so I could have my choice. When I was worried that the limo might not show up, and perhaps she could confirm that the limo was coming for us? She told me "not to be stupid" and to go wait outside. The shuttle driver took me back outside and started yelling at another guy (presumably some manager of some sort) and then when I stepped in and told the manager that the lady was very rude to me and the shuttle driver, he responded with "yeah, that's how she is". Really? You KNOW this and she still works there? Completely unacceptable in my opinion. Again, did this ruin my trip? No. Is it something I should have had to deal with? Absolutely not.

Another frustrating example - our golf cart broke down about 8pm on Thursday night. I was told the mechanic was gone, and the golf cart center was closed - that I'd have to wait until the morning for service. Fine. But, when I began to call at 8am for someone to come look at the cart or give us a new one, it took upwards of three hours and 15+ phone calls. Nobody seemed to care. The mechanic came, but the cart continued to break down for our last day, and wouldn't start at all the morning we were leaving. Did this ruin my trip? No. Should I have had to deal with this? Especially on my very last day? Absolutely not.

Like I said, all in all - great trip. We had amazing weather, not a drop of rain, great beach time, some pretty awesome food even among the bad food experiences and great service from the beach waiters / bartenders. Will we go back next year? Probably. But, in the meantime, I really wish they'd fix some of these problems especially the customer service attitude in Villas reception and the bottom floor of the tower. With just a bit of training or perhaps even new staffing, they can bring a good / great trip to an INCREDIBLE level, without much effort.

I'm sure I forgot some things. Like I said - feel free to PM Me.

Room Tip: DO NOT TAKE VILLA 30 if they try to give it to you. Villa 53 wasn't great either, but was accept...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Me and my friends have always wanted to visit the DR and when I found the site that Lisa & Reed has, I thought it was just too good to pass up. Many reviews online will tell of a lot of negative crap but don't fall for that. Renting with Lisa & Reed and getting all the gold bracelet VIP perks is the way to go! On our last night, we were treated to a BBQ at our villa and let me tell you, this isn't no regular BBQ like we have at home. We were seated by the pool on chairs covered with white tie back covers, white linens and served our meals by a chef and a waiter. Excellent service!

Room Tip: Ask for Villa #39 very quiet and peaceful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just returned from the resort and I had to write a review since I relied so heavily on them prior to my trip. I took the trip solo via an "all-inclusive deal for two" through Groupon. It wasn't quite "all-inclusive", but most things were covered. The entire place was beautiful and clean - picturesque! The pools were sparkling and the poolside beds were well maintained. The landscaping was impeccable. The staff was friendly and everyone seemed happy to be there. I felt like a visiting family member.

My room was nice - overlooking the pool near Bellini. I froze the first night until I adjusted the AC (silly me!) I never used the safe (which is an additional cost to rent). My money and possessions were always as I left them in my suitcase. The housekeeper was sweet. I left her a tip each morning and she left fresh flowers and towels in the shapes of a different animal or bird each day. (probably for all guests, but it still made me feel special.) The mattress was pretty hard, but I guess the quiet and beauty compensated because I slept well and I NEVER sleep well.

I had a yellow band, but didn't really feel restricted from anything. There were a few restaurants and two beaches (Hamony and Serenity) that were off limits, but it wasn't a big deal to me. I enjoyed Cofresi. There always seemed to be activities going on...pool volleyball, yoga, bingo, water aerobics, etc...

The shuttles were adequate for getting around the huge resort. I did spend a good bit of time waiting at times, but I kept a book on hand and enjoyed the beautiful weather and scenery as I waited. Golf carts are available for VIP members.

The crown and residence suites are fine for sleeping, but a bit secluded from the action. I didn't find the receptionists very accommodating as I had to go to the Tropical to get assistance with things like confirming my airport transportation, booking excursions, wiFi access (which isn't included/free, but there are hot spots that allow access. Unfortunately, they didn't tell you about the - even though I asked!)

I took the city tour excursion which included a cable car to the top of the mountain for $49. They probably shouldn't call it a city tour since there wasn't much to see but the cable car was cool. They should offer that solo for a lower cost. I didn't get to do the waterfall excursion, but I heard great things about it. I will definitely do that one if I return. I had no problems with mosquitos or insects. (I used insect repellent as recommended but I'm not sure if I even needed it.) Take sunblock - even if you're non-causasian! I saw a lot of burned bodies. I came home beautifully tanned.

There were drinks available everywhere! I'm a social drinker, so it wasn't a big deal. I had lots of virgin pina coladas but others seemed content with the alcohol offerings and I didn't see anyone who seemed drunk throughout the entire trip. (Then again...I skipped most of the night life.)

Here's a run down of the food: Zen, is a bar on VIP beach (not only for VIP members) which is also a wifi hotspot. They have the best snack/lunch options in my opinion...fresh sushi, fried chicken wings, nachos. Either go there or get pizza from Bellini. There was more food than anyone would care to eat. I can't say much of it was anything to write home about, but you won't be hungry. Dinner required reservations, which were preselected prior to arrival. You're advised that you can change them at the front desk between 9-11AM daily, but there was never any other options available.I'm a seafood lover but the one seafood restaurant, Blue Lagoon, was booked solid for the entire week before I ever arrived. Moonlight had great ambiance and the grilled veggies and rice were perfect. The BBQ porkchop was just okay. Bellini, is an Italian restaurant with your typical options. Their service is great! I enjoyed the pizza. The lasagna was okay...the pasta was clearly freshly made. I also ate breakfast there most days out of convenience. There were no lines and all of the restaurants serve the same breakfast menu anyway. Try a made to order omelet and the croissants with pineapple marmalade! Rodizio provided my favorite dinner although I'm not a big meat eater. The salad bar was excellent and the service was amazing! I loved everything; I just couldn't eat that much meat, so I only finished the glazed pork and turkey. I nibbled a little of the chicken, sirloin, and sausage just to get a taste of all of it. I loved the grilled pineapple! DO NOT eat at the Asian restaurant, Indochine!!! The food was horrible and made me sick on the last night of my trip. The greasy, overcooked spring rolls, general tso's chicken (at least that's what it was supposed to be) and "fried rice", which looked and tasted more like a bad attempt at dirty rice, were completely inedible. I only took 3 bites, but I couldn't escape the consequences. Let's just say...I had a LOOONG, uncomfortable trip home.

I wasn't there for the Sunday welcome party, but it must have been great because people were talking about it all week. There was a party Thursday night with music, food, and cool entertainment. I was beat from long days in the sun, so I didn't do any of the discos. You can tell me how you like those. Maybe I'll try them on my next vacation. All in all, I enjoyed my trip and felt completely safe vacationing alone. I could walk away from my bag even on the beach or by the pool. The only concern was that the sales guys had lists of every guest's name and room number and would notice you walking and call you by name. They all knew that I was there alone, which I would never have shared. Several of them hit on my, but I'm a cutie so that's to be expected. :) Nothing made me think I was in danger but I didn't like that they had my information.
I only took $200 US cash, a credit card (which I never used. don't forget to call your bank before you leave if you plan to use a credit or debit card while traveling) and my cell phone. I never exchanged my money and still had cash left over after my $10 tourist card, $49 excursion, about $70 for souvenirs, tips, and airport food while traveling there and back. I added $25 global data plan through Verizon to access email for communication...calls and texts are expensive, my smartphone also doubled as my camera. If you aren't going to add a special plan, be sure to turn off your data and global roam capabilities before you land and don't check your voicemail!!! You will be billed if you receive emails. Your plan won't cover anything including texts, while you travel. I didn't use room service or the spa. I thought Metamorphosis seemed a bit expensive, so I'll get a massage now that I'm back home. Enjoy your trip and write a review when you get back!

Room Tip: If you only need to sleep, go cheap. The rooms are all clean and comfortable. Don't drink the wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!