“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Houston, Texas
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My family and I had an awesome time at Casa Colonial. You are welcomed with an welcome drink in a beautiful lobby. Check-in is fast and easy. Whenever we needed anything assistance was at room door before we could hang up the phone. Made me feel as tho we had a private butler. Everyone was very welcoming at the hotel. The food is delicious at Lucia's. We had a peaceful time at the beach that was not over crowed like the ones next door. We are looking forward to coming back.

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel was a pure relaxation spot. From the second you walk in, you are entering a peaceful oasis of escape from the daily grind of life. The hotel itself is gorgeous. We stayed in a junior oceanfront suite on the first floor of the property. We had a shared patio so if you want something more private, I recommend asking for a higher floor with a private balcony. Everything is very clean and the beds are beyond comfortable. The hair dryer is very powerful and great if you have long hair. I was taken aback by how green and lush all the plants were. While ocean views are always appreciated, it was nice to see some variety with the beautiful trees all over the beach and property. The hotel was covered in orchids, my favorite flower. It was just gorgeous. There are only 50 rooms at the property and even though we saw other people, we truly felt like we were pretty isolated most of the time. It was very quiet. They also have a rooftop pool with four private infiniti edge hot tubs. The pool and hot tubs are open 24 hours so it was great to go there at night and hear the waves crashing, as we overlooked the ocean.

The spa, while small, was very luxurious and relaxing. I had an aroma therapy massage and also an beachfront massage. Both massages were great and helped me relax. You can use the sauna and steam room for free, you just need to book an appt for them.

The food in both Veranda and Lucia restaurants were very good. For breakfast in Veranda, they have a buffet out. If you want hot items, be sure to order off the menu for things like french toast, pancakes, eggs, etc. Also, they suggest you make a reservation for dinner in Lucia, but I'm not sure you would actually need to do that. There is a main bar in the center of the lobby. I highly recommend the dinner on the beach experience. It truly was a great way to end our trip.

If you have children, this is probably not the resort for you. There are no kids activities and no kids menus, etc and it's more of a tranquil escape for adults than rowdy children. Also, there is NOTHING going on in terms of nightlife at this hotel. Nothing. So do not go there expecting to be entertained at night. It isn't going to happen. There is nothing to do. So be prepared to go in and relax. The staff is super friendly and kind and go out of their way to help you.

All this wonderfulness being said, I do have a few items to point out that kept me from giving this hotel five stars. They do so many difficult things right, that it's just a few simple things that could really push them over the edge that they don't seem to do, despite many guest mentioning it:

Beach service. There is none despite them saying there is. The first day we sat out on the beach and no one came out to us to offer us beverages or anything. We went to the towel guy and he was able to get someone to come over and take our order. We placed our order and heavily tipped and then he never came back after that first round. The second day, a guy named Santiago totally made the day amazing. He came and checked on us all throughout the day. We ordered tons of drinks and food and made it worth his while and it made our day fabulous. Then the next two days, we had zero people come out to us on the beach again. It's just such a simple thing to have a dedicated waiter or even the towel guy to take drink orders and it truly would make people's experiences much better if they don't have to constantly get up to get things and leave the beach.

Another minor thing are the outdoor showers. They only have full body showers, which end up drenching you if you are trying to just rinse your feet. It would be great if they could also add just a foot shower like some places have so you can choose if you want a full body rinse or just to wash the sand off your feet.

And lastly, the bath amenities are amazing but it would be great if a real hair conditioner could be added instead of the combo shampoo/conditioner. For those of us with long, thick hair, we need a real conditioner to do the trick.

Other than those three little things our entire trip was extremely memorable and we can't wait to go back. It was truly a beautiful hotel, great staff and relaxing place.

Room Tip: high floor if you want a private balcony. Ask for ocean front
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments and feedback. We take all guest input into consideration and you made some very good points about the in-room and outdoor amenities which we will definitely look into. We hope be able to welcome back to Casa Colonial again very soon.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We read all the reviews for all the local Puerto Plata and surrounding area hotels. Luckily I picked this hotel. After spending a full week at this wonderful place, I'm sure there is no place that competes with this one. We arrived in Puerto Plata and rented a car. It took us about 15 minutes to get to the hotel and when we arrived, we were amazed that we found it! There were no signs to the hotel at all. We had to keep asking. Even the entrance was tucked in and no visible sign to let us know we had arrived. This made us feel very special and private. The hotel entrance is very upscale with the bell men dressed in white and hats. They were all very professional and helped us in anyway possible to get us settled with our luggage. After entering, they offered us whatever we wanted to drink. They showed us to our suite and we were in love!! Our room overlooked the ocean and the lagoon. It had 3 balconies that were all different. One even had a bathtub outside. My husband really enjoy this because the rest of us were hogging the bathroom. The shower was about 6X6. It was a remarkable room and we have stayed in the best of the best. Linens were changed every day and the bed, although hard, very comfortable. The service was unbeatable and we enjoyed the food on the premises very much! Compares to top NY exclusive restaurants. We ate in the hotel every morning down by the beach and loved the choices. The eggs benedict was very good with ham, salmon or anyway you wanted it. The waiters were very accommodating in anything we wanted. Every part of this hotel was 5 star. They really go out of their way to make it right. I had a problem with something on the bill and they removed it right away with no problem! I'm going to go back to Puerto Plata to be at this hotel again. Very easy flight and easy to get to. We felt like it was home. Even though it was a quiet smaller place, the kids really loved it as much as we did. It was close to a go cart park where the kids had a ball for the day. It is also very close to Puerto Plata town where other restaurants are and the cable ride up the mountain is. Caberete is only about 30-40 min drive where the best wind surfing is. We looked in Caberete but didn't find anything this nice there so we didn't mind the drive. This hotel is rather small for a resort but let me tell you, you won't be sorry you went there. It lives big. You will fall in love with it. We all had spa services multiple times and it is very nice. Small but nice. If I had to try to come up with something wrong, I would say that I wish the bar had more legroom when you sit at the bar. That is THE only thing. There are very comfortable lounge sofas and wing chairs though. I recommend this place highly! You will get a nice laid back experience that will surpass your own expectations. Thank you Casa Colonial for everything you did for me and my family.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel with a professional, polite staff who aspire to cater to your every need. The facility is beautiful with an oceanfront breakfast patio with both a continental buffet and menu items included in your room charge. The 3rd floor pool area bar food was outstanding; try the tiritas and the lime shrimp with linguini-our two favorite meals while we were there. The private beach is daily cleaned and is beautiful. The "all inclusive" resort to the north had a beach that was packed with people and beach chairs. The Casa's beach was very private and with beach chairs always open for us to use. Having a small number of rooms makes all of the hotel's amenities accessible for those of us lucky enough to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room; marble floors throughout the hotel rooms are quite unless someone is sl...
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Casa Colonial... what a treat it was to stay here. My boyfriend and I were looking for a tranquil, quiet place to spend a few days away from our hectic lives, and this was the perfect choice.

From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by the resort staff, we could not have felt more welcomed or more at home. Throughout our stay, the friendly staff made every effort to accommodate us by answering questions, making spa and restaurant reservations and even arranging transportation to the airport. Everyone from the concierge to the housekeepers was friendly and courteous, and seemed to care deeply about our experience.

For example: I once left my sunglasses by the pool at the end of the day, and - instead of just throwing them into a lost and found - the pool bar manager figured out what room I was in, and left them with the concierge so that I could retrieve them at my convenience. Now THAT is service.

Just as importantly... the place itself. It's designed beautifully... refined and casual yet sophisticated, and very clean and modern without feeling stuffy or cold. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the bathrooms are practically a spa unto themselves.

And the rooftop pool, with its Infinity pool, sleek wooden furniture and four small hot-tubs, is the kind of place you see in a magazine and say, "Sometime in my life, I'd love to visit someplace like that."

The grounds are gorgeous, as well... lush, manicured and clean, and with enough tropical plant-life to remind you that you are far from home. And the Bagua spa is as nice as any spa I've visited in the States...

The service at meals can be a bit slow, but - if you're using your visit to Casa Colonial as an opportunity to take a break from life - just enjoy the opportunity to sit around for a bit and know that you've made a wise decision.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went here for President's Day weekend with my wife and 20 month old son. The property is very nice and has a modern feel to it. The rooms are clean and simple. Our beachfront room was perfect for easy access to the beach with the little one. The beach is a lot less crowded than some of the surrounding properties and the staff is very friendly. The drink/food service on the beach is pretty lacking, but the place is so small its not that big of an inconvience to simply walk over to the bar or pool top restaurant. The pool and spa are both very nice. The food at the "fancy" restaurant we honestly found to be a bit disappointing and left the property for dinner 2 of the 3 nights, but for breakfast and lunch the food is just fine. All in all a very nice trip and good weekend getaway. I would recommend it.

Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Gorgeous, spacious and clean rooms. Select one that overlooks the sea. Staff attentive, smiling, and gracious. Enjoyed the thatch umbrellas with chaise lounges and even table and chairs on the beach. Guests spread out so enjoyed the serenity. Excellent lunches at the roof top bar and also on the beach. Breakfasts plentiful and delicious. A place designed for relaxation.

Room Tip: Junior suite ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Colonial Beach & Spa? Share your experiences!