“An oasis of sanity” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 41 hotels in Puerto Plata
Seattle, Washington
“An oasis of sanity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel with a professional, polite staff who aspire to cater to your every need. The facility is beautiful with an oceanfront breakfast patio with both a continental buffet and menu items included in your room charge. The 3rd floor pool area bar food was outstanding; try the tiritas and the lime shrimp with linguini-our two favorite meals while we were there. The private beach is daily cleaned and is beautiful. The "all inclusive" resort to the north had a beach that was packed with people and beach chairs. The Casa's beach was very private and with beach chairs always open for us to use. Having a small number of rooms makes all of the hotel's amenities accessible for those of us lucky enough to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room; marble floors throughout the hotel rooms are quite unless someone is sl...

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Casa Colonial... what a treat it was to stay here. My boyfriend and I were looking for a tranquil, quiet place to spend a few days away from our hectic lives, and this was the perfect choice.

From the moment we walked into the lobby and were greeted by the resort staff, we could not have felt more welcomed or more at home. Throughout our stay, the friendly staff made every effort to accommodate us by answering questions, making spa and restaurant reservations and even arranging transportation to the airport. Everyone from the concierge to the housekeepers was friendly and courteous, and seemed to care deeply about our experience.

For example: I once left my sunglasses by the pool at the end of the day, and - instead of just throwing them into a lost and found - the pool bar manager figured out what room I was in, and left them with the concierge so that I could retrieve them at my convenience. Now THAT is service.

Just as importantly... the place itself. It's designed beautifully... refined and casual yet sophisticated, and very clean and modern without feeling stuffy or cold. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the bathrooms are practically a spa unto themselves.

And the rooftop pool, with its Infinity pool, sleek wooden furniture and four small hot-tubs, is the kind of place you see in a magazine and say, "Sometime in my life, I'd love to visit someplace like that."

The grounds are gorgeous, as well... lush, manicured and clean, and with enough tropical plant-life to remind you that you are far from home. And the Bagua spa is as nice as any spa I've visited in the States...

The service at meals can be a bit slow, but - if you're using your visit to Casa Colonial as an opportunity to take a break from life - just enjoy the opportunity to sit around for a bit and know that you've made a wise decision.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went here for President's Day weekend with my wife and 20 month old son. The property is very nice and has a modern feel to it. The rooms are clean and simple. Our beachfront room was perfect for easy access to the beach with the little one. The beach is a lot less crowded than some of the surrounding properties and the staff is very friendly. The drink/food service on the beach is pretty lacking, but the place is so small its not that big of an inconvience to simply walk over to the bar or pool top restaurant. The pool and spa are both very nice. The food at the "fancy" restaurant we honestly found to be a bit disappointing and left the property for dinner 2 of the 3 nights, but for breakfast and lunch the food is just fine. All in all a very nice trip and good weekend getaway. I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Gorgeous, spacious and clean rooms. Select one that overlooks the sea. Staff attentive, smiling, and gracious. Enjoyed the thatch umbrellas with chaise lounges and even table and chairs on the beach. Guests spread out so enjoyed the serenity. Excellent lunches at the roof top bar and also on the beach. Breakfasts plentiful and delicious. A place designed for relaxation.

Room Tip: Junior suite ocean view.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I wanted a quiet relaxing elegant hotel, this was perfect. I was orginally going to go alone which would have been fine, my daughter came with me and it was perfect. Refined great for a quick get away. Long weekend or a week or two.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our first trip to DC. We read many reviews on Trip Advisor before booking to give us an idea of what to expect. We had a third floor oceanfront Junior Suite. The rooms, spa, pool, food and service were all spectacular. We booked a package that included breakfast, spa treatments and one dinner on the beach which was amazing. The spa is outstanding. All of the food was very good - our favorites were their breakfast smoothies, fish tacos (lunch), arugula with steak salad (lunch), pumpkin soup (dinner), tuna tartare (dinner), dark chocolate with ice cream (desert).

I felt like the prices for food, spa, etc. were very reasonable relative to other high-end hotels/resorts we have stayed at. The pool is elevated on the third floor overlooking the beach which was neat. We also enjoyed how natural the beach and surrounding area was. There were many large fig trees and other plants right on the beach which was different from typical beach spots. This is definitely a small, boutique hotel which is exactly what we were looking for to get away. Very quiet - we spent hours at the pool sometimes as the only couple there.

A local did tell us that their rain season goes through January so I would likely go in February to avoid that. It poured rain most of our first full day. The rooms and bed are comfortable enough that we had no problem catching up on sleep and spending some time in the spa during this day.

I give this place high marks and would absolutely consider going back.

Room Tip: A third floor room is on the same level as the pool which was nice and convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing Casa Colonial for your vacation and for sharing your favorite meals, I am sure future guests will appreciate the tips! Our team appreciates receiving your kind feedback, and looks forward to welcoming you back very soon. We agree that Casa Colonial provides a good value, and if you have not already done so, please sign up for our newsletter on casacolonialhotel.com, which provides terrific offers for future getaways.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the moment I arrived, I felt transported to another world. The staff was very friendly and helpful, going out of their way to make me feel at home. The property was quiet, relaxed and very peaceful. Beautiful gardens and a very nice beach area. I spent quite a bit of time at the pool with a stunning view of the ocean. Staff was attentive while allowing me to relax in peace. Room service was outstanding - they were careful to get my order right every time, accommodating my vegetarian requests. Food was flavorful and fresh. I had an excellent experience at the spa...wonderful deep tissue massage and friendly staff. Casa Colonial exceeded all of my expectations...I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Casa Colonial Beach & Spa? Share your experiences!