“Best Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Delray Beach, Florida
“Best Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place was pure zen! Absolute peace and serenity. They treat you amazing and i especially loved the truffles at night they would bring. Juan the bartender was amazing and made the best frozen drink i have ever had! Food incredible and beds were sooo comfortable! Will be back next year!!

Niki & Dave

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have travelled around the world, and I was impressed with this boutique hotel. It is a unique and elegant. The decoration is beautiful and you are surrounded by almonds tress, orquids, finches and the cool breeze of the ocean air that fill all your senses. The lobby has polished marble floors, white flowing curtains, and incense in the air.
The staff is courteous and professional, one which particularly stands out is a server by the name of Kennedy.
The beach has soft golden sand, and there is nothing like having a cold Pinot Grigio in the beach(service in the beach is fantastic)
This place is truely unlike any other hotel.

Room Tip: First floor beach front rooms nice for kids.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just returned from a five day holiday in theat the Casa Colonial Beach Hotel and Spa in the DR. It was a wonderful experience and a great getaway from busy city life. Its a beautiful place with a lovely, uncrowded beach. The hotel is all white marble or coral and is super clean. The service is impeccable from the beach, to the pool, to the rooms or dining. Great restaurants too. The gardens were something to behold. I'm still blissed out back in my office. My husband and I and perhaps the rest of our family will return next year.
Thanks again to our wonderful new friends at Casa Colonial.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Without a doubt this is a 5 star hotel. I stayed in room 20. Perfect end room with view of grounds and pond. There is more marble throughout the room and common areas than found in most quarries. Booked room through SLH.com and did not need to prepay and secured reduced rate when compared to other travel websites. I opted for breakfast included into the rate, and you can request any of the breakfast menu items. If possible avoid using the in-room telephone as the rates are exorbitant. Looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had never gone to Puerto Plata before, I would usually only go to Punta Cana but I kept hearing about how beautiful Puerto Plata is so I decided to go. I surprised my husband as a Valentine's gift going to Casa Colonial Beach and Spa.

The architecture and the decoration is exquisite, It was very romantic. The Spa was amazing, we had a couple's massage in the beach, It cant get any better than that. The Beaches are as clear as it could be.

I recommend it

simply beautiful!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed at The Casa Colonial Beach and Spa for a long weekend and cannot be more complimentary about my stay.

From the complimentary upgrade and champagne on arrival, to the in-room dining this hotel did not disappoint from start to finish.

The lobby is exceptionally beautiful with marble pillars and calm ambiance. The check-in was smooth and speedy and the staff especially helpful and polite.

The room itself was gorgeous, with a huge tub and big four poster bed. We dined at all of the food outlets and the food was served to a very high standard - some of the food did taste a little salty however this is commonplace in the Caribbean. The room service was fantastic - with the food trolley actually transforming into a table in the room. It was like having your own restaurant setup in the room.

The pool and jacuzzi area was my favorite, very relaxing and private, with beautiful views. Especially as we visited out of season we basically had these facilities to ourselves.

The beach itself was not as beautiful as other parts of the Caribbean (not white sand) though it was exceptionally soft and the ocean not as blue, but again, still beautiful.

The properties landscaping was luscious and green and they have a fabulous area you can enjoy your drinks in the garden. We really enjoyed this space.

Overall a fantastic experience that made our stay exactly what we wanted it to be.

When I return to Puerta Plata, I will definitely be staying at this property again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments. This kind of review always gives us a new inspiration to do all of our bests for our guests. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Casa Colonial very soon. Kindest regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. Like most other reviewers, I have no doubt that this is the best property in Puerto Plata to stay at; especially if you want to avoid the all-inclusive resorts. That being said, this is also the type of place, much like an all-inclusive, that you must love once you arrive as there is really nowhere else to go. Most of the reviews on this hotel highlight the “fabulous” and I agree with most. I am going to give you the ugly. Ok strong word because it was beautiful hotel. I will reiterate the fabulous and also give you the “not-so-good.”

Rooms: the rooms are elegant and clean- well-appointed throughout, large bath room, great water pressure and so may bath towels at your disposal. We were in room #43 right next to the pool and there isn’t one bad thing I can say about the room. The pool was also uber chic with nice views of the beach.

Food: based on all the stellar reviews, I was expecting something fabulous. Its wasn’t. The food was good, definitely above average but not even close to the great dining experiences I have had on other vacations (Playa, St Martin and Bermuda to name a few). Breakfast was fine- not so hard to get that wrong and dinner was the best meal (although some of the dishes were on the salty side). I really thought the lunch menu was lacking. Most of the lunch menu is more suited for a sit down meal in the restaurant as opposed to a meal on the beach (think pasta’s and heavy dishes). I mean really. I am not wasting my valuable tanning time to sit and eat a heavy meal in the restaurant. They really need to add a beach menu and include more sandwiches and light eats. I ordered fish tacos one day and they were so bland and tasteless. Needless to say I was disappointed to the point of tears. I really really wanted a fish taco! Sigh. There is nowhere near by that you can go and get a quick bite outside the hotel. After three days of this is was really very annoying. The one meal that we had outside the hotel (Italian as recommended by the concierge) was mediocre at best. AND it cost us $35 round trip in the cab. It was less than a 10 minute ride.

Beach- the water was calm, clean and clear (triple c!) and it wasn’t rocky or filled with seaweed like other parts of the beach. Yes, the vendors were annoying but I was amused at what they were trying to sell. We had a guy with cigarette cartons, one with alcohol and even someone with wind chimes. You must NOT feign interest in what they are selling or they won’t leave you alone. Make like a New Yorker and just ignore, ignore, ignore and they will go on their jolly way.

Service- Overall the service was great at check in/out and during dinner. It was lacking on the beach and this is when we were needy and vulnerable. The hotel was virtually empty over Memorial Day weekend (they told us 16 rooms were booked and we had two of them) and there is no excuse for lack of waiter service. I need constant attention on the beach. Ok not really but when are drinking mimosa’s starting at 10 am, we are going to keep going until the sun goes down. Come back and check on us and see if we need anything else (we do). Don’t forget our order (write it down). The problem was that they didn’t let us keep an open tab. After every single order, we had to sign for a new bill. This makes absolutely no sense. There were a total of 10 people on the beach, maybe two in the restaurant for lunch, and we had to beg people to serve us. Big frown.

Overall- I really loved this hotel but not Puerta Plata. I personally didn’t find it to be the type of place you can go out on your own and explore. I would never rent a car here and it cost a minimum of $35 roundtrip to leave and go somewhere to eat. There are a few restaurants within the complex and one night they drove us over on a golf cart but the shopping center was a ghost town and no one was in the restaurants so we just want back to the hotel. Many people just need a chill place to go for a few days and relax, if so, this is perfect. If you want to explore the area around your hotel etc then this really isn’t the place for you. I knew most of this as I read reviews before booking. Everyone has an opinion and now you have mine to consider as well. Lucky you!

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. We are delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. Thank you so much for your kind words about our rooms and facilities. We are sorry to hear you were bothered on the beach and did not thoroughly enjoy your meals with us. Your comments are valuable to us so that we can continue to improve our service. Your comments and suggestions will definitely get passed to the appropriate department heads. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Casa Colonial Beach & Spa? Share your experiences!