“Simply the best in Puerto Plata” 5 of 5 stars

Blue JackTar
Playa Dorada Complex, Puerto Plata 57000 , Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #2 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Boston, Massachusetts
“Simply the best in Puerto Plata”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

You cannot beat the quality, service and location at this pricepoint.
Rooms are modern and peaceful, the beach is wonderful and the staff really cares about your experience. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights for a destination wedding and it was an amazing experience overall:
- great quality of rooms and service for a very decent price
- very friendly and helpful staff
- beautiful location at the beach - no words to describe this, just look at some pictures of other reviews
- large pool with a pool bar and other great facilities such as a soccer pitch, 2 tennis fields, golf course (part of other hotel), beach volleyball, beach soccer goals, and the possibility to lend soccer balls, beach volleyballs, tennis materials, etc. (i.e. for free!)
- superb breakfast consisting of a buffet and made-to-order dishes
- delicious lunch and dinner options on the beach, at the pool or at the restaurant, also for great prices (only downside here is that they were not prepared for a huge amount of people at the beginning, but this got a lot better after a couple of days)
- great drinks (especially the passion fruit mojito)
- less then 10 minutes away from downtown Puerto Plata and close to a lot of other attractions (27 waterfalls of Damajagua are a must-do - they recently built a walking path leading to the top of the waterfalls, which makes it very safe now to get up there, and going down is just one of the greatest things ever)

In short, we could not have expected anything better. We hope a lot of friends will get married here!

Room Tip: Best rooms are probably the ones closest to the pool, unless you want to be in a quiet area during t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I don't know where to begin...I chose this location because I'm Dominican and my now husband is Belgian. We wanted something intimate, on the beach, and inexpensive for the guests who were already spending a lot on plane tickets to go to the Dominican Republic. We did not want random people walking on the beach when we wanted to take pictures after the ceremony. Privacy was very important. Next was food, service, accommodations, etc.

We got everything we asked for and MORE. The new management and all of the wonderful staff are 100% committed to maintaining their brand of aintimate respite away from the craziness of a resort. This is where you go to sleep and it is quiet, this is where you play golf, eat delicious food and relax and have a drink. The staff knows what you like, they know who you are, they know your name. It is very personal. The high standard of excellence is also not by accident, the staff makes a great effort to serve and provide what you want without compromising the brand that they seek to establish. It was a winning collaboration for my wedding.

We had people from 17 different nationalities, over 40 Europeans staying at the hotel, many Americans, Dominicans, and people from Puerto Rico. Everyone felt they had been transported to paradise. The food was amazing, compliments to the chef! I am still aching for some Pastelon duo and Dominican style pulled pork. They also have yucca gnocchi that I had at least 3 times during my stay. The chinola mojitos were my favorite beach cocktail, Kiko the mixologist also made us a signature lavender Cava for our post ceremony cocktail hour.

Before we even arrived, the groom's brother was there with his daughters and one of them fell because she's 2 years old and is basically a fugitive. She is often running when she gets a chance. Immediately the staff ran over with some ice and even called their hotel room in the evening to check in and make sure she was okay. As I said, Blue Jack Tar is really the best you can do in Puerto Plata. I've stayed in two other resorts in the area and Blue Jack remains my favorite beach, my favorite food, my favorite bar and my favorite people. I want to be invited to someone else's wedding there so that I can spend more time on the beach next time! Our guests were all impressed and sad to leave, even my uncle who is Dominican asked me if we were going to get married again next year!

Room Tip: We had what I believe was the honeymoon suite. It was great, but you won't spend that much time...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Utila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I booked this hotel for two nights and was NOT happy at all!!!!! The website says that they have massage, they do not offer this service!!!! The website says they offer room service, they will not allow this service if the restraint is busy, which was most of the time!!! The walls are very very thin and you can hear every time someone flushes the toilet, every time some one closes the door, every time someone walks up or down the stairs, every word anyone says!! I did not sleep at all either night I was there. I was extremely unhappy and would never stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
JME1313, Manager at Blue JackTar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Mrs: Farling;

Is with much regret Im reading your comments about your visit to Blue JackTar.
Our main goal is to make our customers achieve a full satisfaction experience, and we failed in your case.
We already fixed the information in our web page, until both services are 100% available.
I apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced at Blue JackTar.
IN case you consider to return to our property, please write directly to my e mail jmespart@bluejacktar.com and will make sure to fix your previous visit.

Best Regards
Jose M. Espart Alberti
Lviv, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was perfect! Not too big and not too small. Very easy to get around. Great beach beds, extremely great service. The room as also very nice and the beds are heaven like! ;) Would like to go back again someday! Breakfast was also great! And the restaurant within the hotel was also amazing, for which I will leave a separate review.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My first visit to Puerto Plata was very good thanks to the Blue JakTar. I was concerned about the bad reviews regarding many hotels in Puerto Plata and decided to trust trip advisors rankings. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms were clean. I only had a five minute walk to the beach. Beach beds were still available at 11am. Great free breakfast with plenty of options.... Not a continental breakfast you usually get in the U.S. At a hotel chain. The hotel is in a complex with other resorts and they have security.

Room Tip: I had a great room in between the restaurant that serves lunch/dinner and the breakfast area. Close...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It is the best and most comfortable hote around the north of the country. Excellent service and very good view. I have great memories of the area and the staff working at the hotel. I want to go back again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Blue JackTar? Share your experiences!