“Very good time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

Save Saved
You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #8 of 42 hotels in Puerto Plata
Sosua, Dominican Republic
“Very good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We live here on the north coast and took advantage of the $10 per person per night anniversary special that was offered through Cheap Caribbean vacations. This was definitely a bargain. We found the hotel to be very clean. Our room was large with a balcony and partial ocean views. We did not have hot water the first night but it was fixed that night (too bad we had already showered) and we had plenty of hot water for the rest of the stay. The staff was very courteous and attentive to our needs. The package did include access to the VIP beach area and this is a must. Very nice and relaxing on ocean side beds. The top shelf liquors that were served here also were very good with great service by the staff. The sushi bar was really a California roll bar with good rolls but no real sushi. There is also a good limited menu served at the VIP beach and we ended up eating lunch there instead of the buffet. As for the buffet it was nothing special bud adequate. Breakfast was good with the traditional offerings and an omelet station. Lunch was nothing special and we ate dinners at the ala carte restaurants. The buffet did not look that appealing other then on American BBQ night with some good rib, chicken and meat offerings. We ate at the Asian restaurant with the food being ok but some it was so salty as to be impossible to eat. When we complained about the salt they redid our dinner with much less salt. We also ate at the Seafood ala carte with a very good shrimp and scallop kabob. We ate at the 8:30 sitting (hey have reservations for 7 or 8:30) which was nice as we were able to sit, relax and enjoy desserts and after dinner drinks. Along with a great Dominican cigar for me. We did not leave the restaurants until 10:30 or later.
Because of the late dinners we did not go to the resorts evening entertainment but we are not fans of this kind of activity anyway. All in all it was a very relaxing mini get away for us at a clean, well kept resort. We also were never once approached by a time share salesman. Maybe it was the way we looked . However our friends traveling with us had to say no every day but a simple no did the trick so don’t worry about them. There also were no beach vendors roaming around which was kind of nice as well.
Was it worth it… for our price YES. We did find lots of folks from the DR as well as traveling from elsewhere taking advantage of this bargain price. Would we go again…YES

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

2,770 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Lexington, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My husband and I decided to try an all-inclusive vacation (which we had never done before) and picked Tropical Lifestyle Resort from an on-line ad I received from Cheap Caribbean. The whole experience was awesome. Our room was clean as well as the resort, the food which we had from a buffet was delicious, the drinks were never ending. We went on a deep sea fishing charter and probably won't do that again because of sea sickness but was an experience we will always remember. The excursions we went on were well worth the money spent. Will definitely do this type of vacation again but next time we will take along friends to enjoy it. I would definitely recommend this trip. Can't wait till next year.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Last time we went to the DR was to DREAMS at La Romana (see other review) and that was hard to compete with considering we booked via Cheap Caribbean and we got a room just renovated. We pressed our luck and wanted to try something in the north... Puerto Plata and the Lifestyles Resort looked like the place...
The drive from the airport - easy and under 30 minutes. You go through some industrial areas of the city, but once you get close to the gates of the resort, it is all paradise. We check in without a wait. Then.... BLAM! We get to the room. Mind you we did not upgrade when we booked and got the "garden view". It was a garden, but the room was like a throw back to the old Holiday Inn on a Florida coast experience... The garden was not the problem, outside was beautiful, the room: extremely damp with moisture on the walls, a leaking toilet (the feed thankfully), smelled of extreme mildew (what do you expect with so much water everywhere) - even the tile floor had water on it. She cried with expectation from our previous visit...
I went to the front desk, immediately asked for a switch to another room. "None available". This is not high season, I didn't buy it. Turns out, they are SLOWLY renovating the rooms and those that are good to go, are rented.
We stayed one night in this room, next day, I wanted to know more about upgrading. That was the word they wanted to hear...
We went on a tour... This place is not just a vacation spot, it is a resort you can buy into - from single studios, to 6 bedroom villas... All at 5 star minimum quality. Word of advice, go for the upgrade to something they call "VIP". If you don't want to buy into it, just contact a "member" such as we are now, and ask to rent their membership for as long as you like (email me for details).
This is where the rest of our week ACTUALLY started. We moved into what is called the Penthouse Suite. It had more room than our house (no kidding), and a view of the ocean and tropics. EVERYTHING in the suite was amazing - the bedding, kitchen, stocked fridge, bathrooms, living room, and HUGE deck. And private... wonderfully private.
The food at every location we ate at (all but Mexican) was very good to excellent. Be sure to get to the buffet on Dominican night! It is authentic and is fantastic. We did not have a bad meal the entire time, - even the welcome concert party had fantastic food (Sunday night). We did however not find any of the wine to be worth drinking (they took our suggestion though and my wife tells me the second time she went down they had new selections).
The beaches are clean, and beautiful. Towels are plenty, day beds are comfy, and the service once again was perfect. They were very attentive and knew you were there for relaxation. If you didn't like the music they had in some areas, just move over to another area.
The water was great, clean and good for swimming - just swimming. I would have preferred some surf - for surfing, but I learned this was about an hour away by car to the east. There are some locals trying to make a living (of course), but if you say no thanks, they are respectable.
The pools were plentiful, and we joined in on a few games - polo, volley ball, and on the weekend the main pool is open for paid day passes to locals that want to visit the resort. FUN! Learned a lot of colorful language and had a great time. The men and boys are fairly aggressive with the "flirtations" to the visiting women, and they want to charm you, but listen well to "no".... repeated, but understood. Even my wife was getting hit on while swimming right near me... funny actually. Talking with others there, no one felt threatened by this, but if you are single and want to have a good time, you can have it. If you don't, best to go with a friend to this main pool on the weekend.

During the week our days went something like this:
Wake up and play tennis at 8am with lessons (hello $14 for both of us!)
Go back to room for quick change and eat at the Private Jazz Club pool buffet (they actually serve you and have GREAT fresh food and fruit).
Take a dip in the pool, lay around, gather our stuff, go to the beach... get ready for dinner... night life clubbing if we felt up for it, do it all again the next day.

Overall, we signed into the membership because for us we could see the value and that we would use this location and the sister resorts. Why pay Cheap Caribbean price for questionable results when you know what you will get for practically the same price? (We now know our first visit to La Romana was very lucky).

Only problem - my wife has some very cute bikini's (of course being a Cali girl), and two went missing. We can't point fingers, but we strongly feel they "disappeared" from our Suite. Not nice. But upon return three months later, my wife informed me they had some staff changes.

If you go to this place, try to rent from a member, or at the very least, upgrade before you get there. If you want to compare price to what you find, just email me. Overall, it is a very relaxing location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

First the good: Booked through Cheap Caribbean so I got access to the VIP beach and bar. This is a must. The beach is very nice and clean, great waves to have fun in. The rest of the resort is also very clean and well maintained. My room was fairly large with a balcony offering a partial ocean view. I was in Building 5 facing east (even numbered rooms) and I highly recommend the east side of this building. Once you get to know your way around it is pretty close to everything, but facing away from the noisy events that take place around the main pool area. It also faces away from the direct sun after around 9:30 am. You get a view of the ocean and the garden/courtyard between building 5 and 6. The all-inclusive drinks were great, especially at the VIP Beach Bar where they serve top-shelf liquor as well as some champaign. The other bars offer only local liquor and if you like whiskey, good luck. The bar and restaurant staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make you happy. The VIP beach bar also offers free Dominican cigars (if you ask for them). Also, the Puerto Plata City / Isabel De Tores cable car ride (combined tour) was well worth the money. I heard the Monster Truck Jungle tour was good to.

The "less than good": English speaking staff is at a bare minimum. Sometimes even at the front desk the person had to get someone who spoke english to assist me. The bartenders speak english well enough as do the waiters at the restaurants, just don't ask them anything too complicated (like what spice are they putting in everything). The food I had some problems with. They put out a nice spread and a good assortment (they really do try) and I am generally very easy to please, but they use some kind of spice or flavoring a lot (not a hot spice, just a flavor) that I did not like and they used a lot of it in many of their dishes. By my second day I had pretty much lost my appetite. I basically lived on fresh fruit, bread, cheese, and whatever I could find that set well with my stomach. I talked to other Americans and Europeans who had the same problem. The Dominicans, however, seemed to love the stuff. They piled up their plates and dug in. The VIP beach and bar closes at 6pm and they really don't like to give you access to the beach after that time. So after 6pm you're going to be drinking the local liquors and only swimming the the pools.

There is a little gift shop at the resort where you can get small gifts, cigars, cigarettes, etc, but it is not extensive. Don't plan on heading into town and going to Wal-Mart or CVS because you won't find any. Puerto Plata is, by American/Euro standards, quite poor (one step up from a shanty town). You can find basic toiletries, etc. but don't plan on any extensive or exotic shopping. For the most part, when going to the Dominican you are going to stay at your resort (unlike places like Cancun Mexico where there is a lot of night life and diversified shopping). I personally would not trust walking the streets of Puerto Plata city at night, especially if you don't speak Spanish. Although, I will admit, all of the Dominicans I met were very nice and friendly. A Taxi downtown will cost a person $45 US from one of the resorts. If you are a local (not wearing a resort wristband) and walk down the driveway to the main road, you would pay 1/3 of that. Or if you "hook up" with one of the locals, the two of you can travel much cheaper (let them do the negotiating).

Summary: Nice place, good for the price, unlimited drinks were good (especially at the VIP beach bar). Food is a good variety and quantity if you can eat it. Oh, and if you can fit a 52oz Bubba Keg in your suit case, you will be glad you did (not only holds a lot of your favorite tasty beverage and keeps it cold, but it makes for a great conversation piece).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
bogota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Needs a lot of customer satisfaction lessons...

Day 1- No hot water/ only 1 washcloth for 2 guests in rm.

Day 2- No hot water, no washcloths after room was serviced... had to ask for them. Service man came to fix water that night, but it was gone again by morning. No mini-bar service at all after waiting 1 hr. for the refilling before finally leaving for dinner.

Day 3- No water at all/ electricity for several hours in afternoon. We contemplated taking an ATV tour that morning but opted for a diff. excursion. That would have been interesting to come back full of dirt splatters & not be ablt to shower off...
Still no mini-bar service.

Day 4- Still no hot water/ washcloths. Gave up on this and didn't even bother making the calls anymore. The pool was warmer than the shower. FINALLY.... the day before we leave... MINIBAR REFILL, YEY!

Day 5 - OUTTA THERE!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

very nice stuff, excellent food and activities, including entertainment every day and aqua aerobics, very beautiful place to stay for a romantic gateway. possible to take a trip outside of the hotel, see your agent, we went to the waterfalls!!! it was great

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I booked through CheapCaribbean for a week long stay. Booking through them gave us access to the VIP area and the VIP bars. (Vacation would not have been as good without it.)

Everyone that worked outside the hotel lobby was welcoming and accommodating. Those who worked inside were difficult and hard to get anything from. We paid for internet which did not work. It took us 15 minutes to work the situation out after much complaining on our part.

The hotel is about an hour away from the airport but the location is beautiful. Our rooms were average. The only problem is that the showers did not have a door and water splashed everywhere whenever it was on. Housekeeping was quick and timely. We left a dollar or two tip daily. The buffet was great and different every night. It was important that we got there when buffet hours started so it was fresh. We tried three of the four restaurants there: Mexican, Chinese, and Italian. The Italian was by far the best. It was difficult to get a reservation even though we saw many empty tables. We had to be firm and only walk away once we had the reservation.

We also booked two trips through the hotel; Paradise Island and the safari Tour. The Paradise Island was amazing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple