You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Washington, DC
“Why!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Everyone in my party was sick from the food. The pools close at 6:00 pm (why?) we are on vacation and would have liked to relax in the pools in the evening. Especially since there was very limited night life. Oh yea! there was the VIP club that was not advertised that non VIP members could attend. Can't go into the beach after 7:00 pm. If you want to relax and do absolutely nothing, bring the kids and this is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

stayed 2 weeks with my husband. wanted a relaxing holiday and got it. fantastic place, staff always smiling and friendley and very helpful. you dont get hassled like other reviews have said. food lovely the blue lagoon the best. the only thing that lets it down is the night entrtainment although the show they have on a tuesday night is amazing. there are lots of excursions you can go on, i went swimming with the dolphins and visited paridise island they are two trips ill always remember. If your a fussy drinker like me then take your own tipple with you, my husband enjoyed their own local drink and they give more than genorous amounts. over all i thouroughly enjoyed it and eould return.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Normally I wouldn't write a review (and I've put off writing this one quite a while), but I feel I just need to share our experience.

My wife and I stayed at this "resort" in August of 2008. We had travelled there through RCI vacations and took part in the all-inclusive package. While the accomodations were overall decent, a number of the facilities were reserved for members of their own vacation club -- this was not clearly explained until we arrived.

In order to dine in the sit-down private restaurants, reservations needed to be made the previous day or else you were stuck with the buffet restaurant. For the first day obviously, you were stuck and it appeared that the hotel made all efforts to keep people at the buffet as opposed to the other dining options. The drinks were all-inclusive, but far from "top shelf".

I had mentioned that the hotel also had its own all-inclusive program -- the hotel staff made several aggressive attempts selling you on this program. A one-on-one hard sell presentation on timeshares is the last thing we wanted to sit through while on vacation, and I thought it was in incredibly poor taste. I'm sure the program is very nice, but since we are already part of another, I was not in the least place interested.

Lastly (and this is the big one), my wedding band was stolen from my hotel room. While I hate to make accusations, I can only presume it was a member of the staff/maintenance since all the doors were locked. In any case, when I brought this to the attention of the management, I felt I was nearly being accused of trying to pull something. I have stayed in some real S-holes around the world and never had anything stolen from a hotel room. I did not consider a "vacation resort" to be the kind of place I need to worry about personal security. In the hotel's defense, they provided a room safe (which I did not use), but I have never really regarded those things as anything more than a feel-good. If somebody has the keys to get in your room, they can open the safe.

My only recommendation to anybody planning on travelling to this resort is to lower their expectations and not to bring anything of value with them.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This was the best vacation that my family and i had. We were there We were there for two weeks. Next time we will stay longer. We just can't stop talking about it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I took a trip to Dom. Rep and decided to take my kids to a hotel, It was the best thing i did from the moment we got there till we left the hotel everyone was very attentive with us and the food was delicious my kids enjoy themselves very much, It was sad that we had to leave soon but i would love to take them again soon....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

This resort was by far the best we have stayed at in the last 5 years. The people were friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect. The food was excellent and there was plenty to eat. We had 2 - 2 bedroom apartments. They over looked the smaller pool and the Italian Restaurant. We ate breakfast there every morning. The resort had a show or some entertainment every night. Some special parties, where you were the guests of honor. They must have paid their heat bill, because it was extremely hot and sunny the whole week. I don't think you could go wrong with staying here. It's a resort where young couples, families with children, older couples can all be at the same time and everybody would enjoy themselves. We will be going back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I recently stayed here for a few days (july 3-7) and I have to say there are some very good things about this Resort and some things that I would definatly change!! I am not a very picky person and I try not to let the little things bother me while on vacation but some things truly bothered me!!
First off, I had been the only one left in the lobby without a room ready for 1 1/2 hours out of everyone that arrived on the same shuttle bus as me. Everyone kept telling me 5 minutes, 5 minutes....After the 1 1/2 hours, the lady at reception told me she was going to give me another room that was ready so I didnt have to wait any longer. She told me it was on the ground level (which wasnt a problem) and off I went. When I got to the room, it was nothing like the pictures. If you live in the US, you can compare them to a Best Western type room....I didnt really care as long as I had a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head...I mean, how much time was I really going to spend in there anyway right? My biggest issue was, the sliding glass door to my patio was off the track and did not close all the way so I couldnt LOCK IT!!! Since I was traveling alone and the room was on the ground level AND in the back corner (ROOM 5138) this WAS an issue for me. I went to teh desk for every day to ask them to send someone to fix it for me and they told me that someone was coming...no one ever did. After the 1st night I asked to be switched to a different room and I was told there werent any available (the resort was EMPTY!!) In addition to that, the cleaning lady only came the LAST day at 530 at night even though i had the sign on the door. I didnt care about the bed being made, but I was never provided with any soda, beer, or most importantly WATER in my room. I had upon arrival 2 bottles of water and thats it for 3 days.
As far as nightlife goes, there wasnt really much to do after the sun went down. There was the Ampitheatre.....and th disco....but why do I have to pay for drinks there at an all inclusive resort.??
The people selling the VIP world werent too bad, they mostly tried to hit you up around breakfast time, but if you said no thank you they left you alone.
The food was okay....since I am not too picky, i always found something to eat, but it was by no means a 5 star buffet. I went to the Italian Restaurant one night and ordered their Specialty---Osso Bucco...DO NOT ORDER THIS...YOU CAN NOT CHEW IT!!!! I also went to teh Chinese Restaurant another night. The Coconut Corn soup was delicious and so was the Satay.....but the orange chicken tasted as if they poured Orange Marmalade ontop of it....I was not a big fan....They did try to make it Authentic, so I guess that counts for something. I didnt find the service to be anything special....I tipped after EVERY meal and EVERY drink and the only one who seemed to appreciate it was Pablo at the Pool bar....he was FANTASTIC!!!
I got a deep tissue massage at the Spa and should have just spent the money for the regualr massage since other people I talked to convinced me they were all teh same. Mine felt more like teh relaxing massage...there was nothing deep tissue about it and it cost me $15 more.
The pools and the grounds were VERY VERY well maintained!! They were clean and manicured and well taken care of. There were always plenty of chairs to sit on and space on the beach. The pool activities during the day were fun to watch and I still have the Chocolate song in my head 2 weeks later. Go Pink Panther!! =o)
Overall I would have to say the resort is average. If you are going to relax and are not interested in a luxury resort then this is a great place to visit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo