“What an incredible experience in a beautiful place w/ fantastic people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Grants Pass, Oregon
“What an incredible experience in a beautiful place w/ fantastic people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We (my husband & I in one room and our grown daughter next door), had the most marvelous week. The resort is immaculate, luxurious and the staff are absolutely wonderful. Miriam, the bartender, is the sweetest, happiest, most knowledgable (she's been there 11 yrs) person you will ever meet. The guest relations, Yenise and Lucia are sweet and so helpful. The manager could not have been more helpful & skilled (be sure to notify your bank you are going). The young men, Manny, Iriel, Spaghetti, Pink Panther, Lice, and Victor are only a few of the wonderful dancers/entertainers who will keep you smiling and laughing. We will be back. Thank you, all of you, for a most wonderful week.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

just arrived back from this hotel. We had a great holiday met some really nice people Andres, Barman at the pool bar is the nicest man ever!!!!

Food was very poor quality but there was always something to have or at least most days. Mexican was beautiful definately advise a visit the mexican.

staff and entertainment staff were lovely really made a fuss of everyone. Watch out for the VIP workers just mind and say no thanks not over baring though! VIP sections are very nice but most people spent there time in the main restaurant or at the main pool so wouldn't advise to spend that kind of money when you can stay in the hotel.

take plenty of sun cream as this is very expensive to buy in the hotel shop, felt like they made the prices suit themselves.

If you go on any the trips just remember if you buy anything put it in your case don't take it on as hand luggage as they wouldn't allow us to travel with them, think your doing a favour by buying them from the local people, then have them removed at the airport very dissapointing. Airport staff were very rude. and coist us $30 to buy.

Make sure you eat before going to the airport as the food is disgusting, greasy and cost $18 for 2 burgers and a can of diet coke (shocking)

This is Spain in the Carribbean.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

This resort is certainly not first class. The service was not top notch and at one point, the staff at the check-in were rude. My room looked nothing like the picture. My first night there, I was relaxing in my room when a man (presumably drunk) forced open my locked door. Although he staggered away after I yelled, I was frightened. The desk manager was unconcerned and not accommodating when I asked to change rooms. It took me telling my story to a stanger before I was helped. The stranger spoke spanish and was a RCI member, thus she had my clout than I and was able to convince the front desk (why did they have to be convinced about a customer's safety?) to switch my rooms. I quickly learned the color of the wrist band you wore dictated the level of service you received from the staff. If you were a vacation owner or RCI member, you were treated better. What a shame. In additon, I was offered a tour of the property only to be escorted to a sales office and pressued to purchase a vacation package. The sales guy got rude when I politely declined. This place is truly a money game. The food was decent but not delicious and I had to combat the swarn of flys contending for my plate. I would not return to Lifestyles nor recommend it to colleagues, family or friends.

Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

We read reviews after we booked this holiday and were worried about what to expect, we shouldn't have worried we had an amazing holiday. We opted the the VIP all inclusive package and pleased that we did. We had access to the VIP beach, luxury sun lounches like beds, service to your sun loungers, same at the VIP pool, access to VIP parties, international drinks, VIP restaurants. The staff were welcoming friendly and helpful. We were totally pampered. They will try to get you to join their vacation club the their accommodation on offer are amazing, however you don't have to join if you don't want to and we certainly didn't feel pressurised. Going back next year and can't wait.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

This holiday was fantastic from the moment my family arrived in the Dominican Republic due mainly to the Dominican people who are the friendliest, happiest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.
The resort is wonderful, very clean, the rooms are large and comfortable. You have the choice of eating in the main buffet restaurant for every meal or you can book one of four very good a la carte restaurants for your evening meal, just go to the concierge desk at 1 o'clock the previous day. All restaurants are all inclusive and the food is excellent.
Even the fussiest eater will find plenty to choose from.
The waiting staff are great, you'll never find yourself with an empty water glass or a dirty plate in front of you, and though they are very grateful if you do, you don't feel pressured to tip constantly.
The evening entertainment is spectacular, the shows are very elaborate with fantastic sets and costumes, and the dancers are amazing. Denise, Kenya and Darinel are brilliant.
I have to say the highlight of our holiday though were the animation team, both my children aged 12 & 14 are quite shy and don't usually get involved in any kind of activities when we are on holiday. This time they were volunteering for every activity going! We only missed 2 sessions of water aerobics in the whole 2 weeks which was fantastic and played all sorts of fun games in the pool and on the beach. Not to mention learning the chocolata dance! Look out for the team of Pink Panther, Many, Ismael, Crazy Jorge, Willy Wonka, Darinel and Super Joe they will keep you smiling all holiday.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

The resort is absolutely beautiful. My husband and I went there for our honeymoon, and there were a lot of other couples there that week. It was like a little piece of heaven. The surroundings at the resort are beautful, and if you like trying new foods, they are amazing. Everyone was very friendly and very patient with you if you are trying to speak Spanish, but most people do speak English as well. I would definately recommend it for people looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

After reading all of the bad reviews I was getting a little worried about going but went ahead anyway and was so glad!

We arrived 2 hours before check in and were given a room right away with no problems and were at the pool within an hour of arriving.

Pool:Within 5 minutes of being at the pool we were approached by super friendly staff asking if we wanted to join in the pool games. They had activities every day that were as fun to watch as to join. You will also learn the choco choco dance and song. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming so don't brush them off or be rude to them. They work long hours and still have a smile on their faces at midnight. My friend and I are 21 and 22, similar ages to them so we made friends and had great fun. Manny, George(of the Jungle), Roberto etc.There were always enough chairs at the pool/beach even if we got a late start. Water is the perfect temperature, cool enough to be refreshing but never too cold.

Food&Drink: I am one of the pickiest eaters around and found something to eat everyday, I was never hungry. If I can find something to eat, anyone can. The only restaurant we went to was the Bellini Italian. Staff was great and food was good we even went a second time later in the week. Pool bar is the best with David at night! The bartenders were so friendly and fun. No need to tip but if you do you will get a better drink. On the first day we got drinks in paper cups and we tipped 2 dollars, our next drink was garnished with fruit in a big glass. A little respect goes a long way here. The bar does close around midnight but the chinese restaurant is open all night and with a little fun we had a few nights of cerveza delivered out to us at the bar from the restaurant until way into the night.

Beach: Agua center staff are great. Manuel, Luis, Marco(Polo)... Non-motorized sports included as well as free scuba lessons in the pool. Beach volleyball is a good laugh. Got a coconut to make a drink in straight from one of the many palm trees. The actual beach is public but there is a beach for the resort that is gorgeous and has many shady spots. Down just a few steps is the real beach. There are some vendors but politely say no thanks or get talking to them and you could learn a lot about the DR. It is a little rocky under the water but is okay to swim. Walk a few feet down the beach towards the VIP section and it has a lot less rocks. The water does have a lot of waves and being not the strongest swimmer I was a little nervous but it was no problem it's not wild or anything.

"Bad": VIP salesmen-They'll say just a few minutes of your time we'll take you to see you'll get rum and some free tshirts. We knew better and said later, maybe tomorrow etc. They stalked us at the pool and beach when finally we told them we were poor students who had no money and no interest in buying a villa. Once they knew we weren't interested they left us alone we'd walk by and get "Hola Amigas! Como Estas?" instead of convincing. Tell them straight out if your not interested and you'll have no problem. We did meet people who ended up buying a villa and were exited about it and felt they got a great deal so if you are in the least curious go ahead but if not say no and that's it. Helicopter-A couple times a day right near the pool, didn't bother us except one day it was low and blew our stuff all around. If your looking for absolute peace and serenity it'll bother you, if not it's fine.

Nightlife- The shows at night were entertaining. First few nights we couldn't find the theater but just ask it's in the VIP area. They do pick people out of the audience for competitions before so be ready! I had to dance after being volunteered so watch out! We went to the disco 1 night and it was completely empty (it's the only place drinks are not included so I'd say that's a big factor). If you want a disco/nightclub go to the ocean world casino or we were told nearby "Sasoa" is the place to be. We left and went to the pool bar where we ended up almost every night. Lots of people and a good time to be had.

Fun Facts:
Tips not necessary but nice touch and get slightly better service.
Rooms cleaned every day.
Make dinner reservations early if you want a restaurant.
Don't drink the water. We even brushed our teeth w. bottles but don't know if it's needed.
Fridges stocked every day w. water,soda,cerveza.
Safe costs 20$ for 7 days or 3$ a day.I left money FOR the maids and they didn't take it so It's probably not even necessary but we bought one anyway.
Pools "close" early but we had a few jumps into the pool in the middle of the night..oops
Almost everyone speaks at least 2 languages. Spanish,English,German,French,Italian were all widely spoken.

Excursions: We went to Ocean World. Literally 5 minutes up the road. LOVED it. Swam with Dolphins, Played with Sea Lions, Snorkled etc. Great day and very worth the price. We almost didn't do it because it was expensive to swim with Dolphins but very glad we did. Our tour organizer was Cheap Caribbean/ Turinter Tours. Dioby was the guy we organized with at the hotel he gave us some money off and wrote it on the ticket. Once at Ocean World we had to wait almost an hour to get in because they wouldn't let us in because we didn't pay enough. Although he made a mistake, he did come in person to Ocean World and got us in without having to pay another penny. Bring extra money for food/drinks/pictures (if you do encounters). Also don't worry about bringing too much stuff as they provide free lockers.

Overall we had a great time and had no big problems. My friend even said she'd like to come back for her honeymoon (LOTS of honeymooners there). If you want to relax and have a good laugh and some fun on a gorgeous island..GO!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends