My husband & I just got back from the Hacienda Tropical Resort in Puerto Plata. (2/11 - 2/18) and had a great time!
But, before we left, I got scared reading all those horrible, negative, reviews and almost switched hotels. Fortunately, I read Bandit/Canada review and I felt his was the most sincere. I promised myself to write a review when I got back, so other people wouldn't feel that anxiety, I felt before I left. Keep in mind that it's a 3 star hotel. Here it goes...
Bad. But, hey how much time do you spend in your room on vacation? Ours had a leak in the bathroom ceiling. (so, I didn't stand under it) I took my showers first, so mine were always hot, but sometimes low water pressure. My husband's showers were always lukewarm or cold, with low water pressure. Our electric went out 1 night for 15 minutes. (big woof!) One night, the water went out, but luckily, we already took our showers. I think it's really "hit or miss" with the water & electric problems. Luckily, in our building, it wasn't bad. We compared room problems, with other guests and we all laughed! We did all get a good price on our vacations, so we didn't mind the problems so much. If, we paid "full-price" though, we would have been "----". Other problems we heard about were: light bulbs popping, broken thermastats, broken tv buttons, loud noisy refrigerators, & no remotes.
INFAMOUS FLOOR TILES: Yes, when it rains, they are very slippery! Be careful & shuffle your feet. Otherwise, when they are dry, they are okay. When the maids mop them, they put out yellow plastic warning signs.
Everyone is very friendly & polite. But, they don't speak alot of English.
VERY CLEAN. Everyday, people are cleaning the pool area & pulling weeds. They even clean the giant sand-filled birdbath ashtrays everyday. They would draw a design in the sand & put a flower in them every morning. The public restrooms were also clean.
Good & in good locations everywhere. Try the "banana mamas".
The "Ala Carte" restaurants were EXCELLENT! We went to all, but the Italion. I cant't believe someone complained about the ala carte restaurants! We've stayed at many other all-inclusive resorts and their "ala cartes" were "so-so". I think Hacienda's were EXCELLENT. The snack grill at lunch was good, too. We would bring our plates on the beach & eat. When you are done, you put your dirty plates in these wooden containers and someone comes around & picks them up. The main buffet got repetitve, but people seem to love the omelot & spagetti bars.
Very expensive! Fortunately, I read this before I left and brought everything in our medicine cabinet.
Take public transportation. They all drive motorcycles like crazy people. I don't think they have any driving rules.
MONSTER RIDE EXCURSION:
They stop at a school! I didn't know that. So, if you think you will be doing this, bring lots of candy & school supplies for the kids & school. Buy at home & put as much as you can in your suitcase. The school will love the donations. (pencils, crayons, paper, etc.) The boys like baseball caps, too. I enjoyed this excursion and learning all about the Dominican culture, my husband, on the other hand, thought it was too long & a little boring.
You have to make up your own mind. Are you willing to stay in a bad room and "go with the flow", if anything wrong happens. I know some of my own friends who wouldn't want to stay here. But, I consider, me & my husband, as "laid-back" kind of people and we enjoyed our stay here. Also, if you get a good deal from the travel agent (like us), definitely, GO. If, you have to pay Full Price, I wouldn't come here. I hope I helped some people with their decisions!
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach
- Lifestyle Tropical
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, Priceline, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.