Save Saved
You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #11 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Edmonton, Canada
“50/50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The location was beautiful, nice beach, great pools. Room was so-so. Definitely less than I'd expect from an international resort. The toilet flushed very poorly, the shower was terrible, and the ceiling dripped water; it took 3 calls to get that fixed. The food was OK, but seldom hot. Long line-up for omelets every day. REALLY disappointed in the lack of seafood! The drinks were very inconsistent and, in some cases, unrecognizable. There were only certain things available at the pool bar, and they weren't very good. The drinks on the "VIP" beach (the only one available; a scaled-down version of the actual VIP beach) were much better, but only available during the day. Some of the staff were excellent (David and Andres at the pool bar, Melvin serving tables at the Casablanca, Emely at the reception desk, the maids did a wonderful job, the beach servers were excellent), and some were terrible. There was a SERIOUS language problem; if you don't speak Spanish, you aren't getting full service. We called security one night because someone was trying to get into our room (probably just a mistake, but we were 3 women alone), and the people answering the phone only spoke Spanish; security NEVER came! Because it's a "buy-in" resort, there were constant reminders that we weren't VIPs, and couldn't access many amenities. The first morning we were there we were taken for a "tour", which consisted of being walked across the street to the sales building. The pitch was not high pressure, at least. We got a tour of the VIP beach, to show us what we were missing, but that was it. I didn't like the beach and pools being closed in the afternoon/evening. The beach area we had access to was locked at 6 p.m., so we were kicked out. The pool was open until 7 p.m., but no service at the swim-up bar after 6. All the same, it's hard not to have a good time: ocean, sand, food and drinks taken to your cabana or table or pool stool; who wouldn't love that? But I'm sure you can get that at another resort, in English, without the sales pitch.

2,579 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I love to travel, probably one of the best resorts to go to with friends and family. Staff makes the trip that much funner :). Went with a group of 5 25 year old girls, 2 moms and my grandmother, had a blast with everyone. Having the VIP membership is the only way to do it! The vip beaches, pools, restaurants are fabulous! Hookah bar is definitely my favorite spot to relax. The shows and entertainment were great. The staff was extremely friendly, MUY CALIENTE! and personable we made a lot of great friends! I had a FUN time with John Cena, he is an amazing dancer and such a sweetheart. The bartenders at VIP pool were very fun as well. I cant wait to come back to see the staff, and have another amazing vacation with my girlfriends :)! I miss it already, Cant wait to escape NYC and get back to Puerto Plata in december!

-cec

Room Tip: stay in a villa
Staten Island, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great time as always, been home one day looking to book it for this june, thankyou to all staff, been there number of times , they make us feel like we are special, they remember our names, thank you all my friends at the pool john cena, johnny bravo coffee lenny , pouchie, even the towel boy, you guys are awesome, very friendly careing , dolores,

Room Tip: Building 3,,,, first floor,,,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Warning, unless you are a gold vip save your money. We booked into this hotel for a 6 night beach vacation and were not given accessibility information, ie locations of all amenities such as nightly entertainment, restaurants etc. Our room was shabby, had cockroaches and had problems with door locks, and a broken shower just to name a few. Upon check-in you are assigned dinner reservations and have no choice which a la cart you would actually like to attend. (Requests to change restaurants were rejected, as were time changes - ours were for 9pm!). The "beach" was a sliver of sand between the VIP lounge/beds and the water...no chairs on the beach, and what beach area there was had not been groomed and smelled like sewage. Despite being assured (by groupon) that once we said no thank you to a time share (VIP 3 hr tour) we would not be harassed we were continually approached. Food was mundane.
If you have any physical limitations stay away as there are stairs everywhere!!! Up, down, multiple sets of stairs to get to water, pool, rooms. The grounds are beautiful and the wait staff were lovely! ( the only saving grace to staying here).
All in all Highly displeased and will not return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is my 4th visit to Dominican republic since September 2013. My first time at this resort. Reception was friendly. I was upgraded to a junior suite. The room was large and very clean. Only odd thing was no shower curtain so a lot of water was on the floor daily. The maid (siri parra) was wonderful. Rooms 4114+4112 highly recommend. The buffet was enjoyable. The pools were clean and nice. Towel guys slightly rude. VIP area was wonderful. Outdoor jaccuzzis and beds and better drinks and a great menu. The cofresi beach is not as nice as playa dorado but here there aren't vendors hassling you. A higher class place to stay. Thursday and Sundays VIP puts on amazing shows. You can get shuttled anywhere you want to go. Ice bar at cofresi smells really musky but it is a blast dancing. Bellini restaurant is good during the day for pizza and pasta. Overall this resort is very beautiful but far too big for my liking. The bartender Denny ureña was very good! Suggestions: let tourists know about all the things offered right away. It wasn't until day 4 I knew about shuttles and bellini and the colussium. Also over charging locals. I got this trip for $733. Locals have to pay $100 a night. Craziness. But I guess it does limit the weekend locals which many other tourists complain about. Rating...at least 4+ stars. 3.5 in simply incorrect.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I LOOOOOOVED this place. There is lots to do here. The resort has daily events that are great to attend, starting with the VIP Welcome Party. They are put on by the employees there who you get to see on the daily. Their staff is super friendly and make you feel welcomed and part of the group.

This was my first trip to DR and my first staying at a resort, I was hesitant about a resort because I wanted to get a feel for something more cultural, but I was able to obtain it as they offer trips into the city and some Dominican food options. They also have a show at the coliseum where they dance in traditional attire.

The guys there who go by the names, Moskito, John Sena, and Koffee gave us great advice and were just amazing people to hangout with at the resort. I considered them my friends while there -- and now :) They make themselves readily available, they hangout with you, remember and acknowledge you. They teach you how to dance and are super hilarious - very good people! I would go back to the same place just for them.

The rooms are spacious, they have a working fridge, TV, and restroom - not that we ever really stayed in the room.

The beach is really pretty and it is not packed - super close to the rooms no matter where you stay. In this location you get to have both beauties, the mountain side and the beach. I would suggest waking up semi-early; there is lots to do and the time goes by so fast.

You can always go to the staff I mentioned above and ask them to guide you in the right direction should you not know what to do -- but I don't see that being an issue.

I went with another friend and we had a blast! We met people staying at the resort who were amazing and made friends with them and the staff.

Order lots of Sol Dominicano's, Pina Colada's and Mama Juana's - these beverages are delicious. For food, go out to the city at least once if you are looking for authentic food, but even at the resort their options are not bad and they have plenty. Plus they automatically book you for 2 dinner reservations.

I would just say go, go! have a good time! It's amazing!

P.S. and if you see any of the staff I mentioned, tell them I said, Hola :)

-Ruby C.

Room Tip: Vip Room - we had room 2009 it was a great location.
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

As my first trip to the Dominican I couldn't have planned a more fun or relaxing place. As an avid reader I often lay by the pool all day and soak up as much sun shine as possible. Thanks to John Cena, Johnny Bravo, and Coffee, I didn't even want to read!! They were so entertaining and active. I wanted to do water aerobics and play volleyball, any activity and I was in. They made my experience wonderful. Being able to say hi to guys who knew my name at evening shows, events, and parties was the best. I felt welcome and enjoyed every moment. the entertainers are so great and help make the experience wonderful.

Room Tip: Building 6 was awesome, quiet and right by the pool!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family