“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had an amazing time at this resort. I stood at this resort in the middle of June (7 nights)and I was hesitant after reading alot of the negative reviews and came to the conclusion that some people will always complain no matter. Im sure if i thought about it i could find something to complain about but i was just too busy enjoying the resort and the ppl. The Vip Beach was great and its true in order to get a bed thats covered you would have to be there at 7:00 am but I never had a problem finding one by a palm tree that gave me just the amount of shade I wanted. You can order your food and drinks from this area. Mimosas was how I started my day. The food in the resort was great for breakfast lunch and dinner no complaints. I would recommend that you make your dinner reservations as soon as you check in otherwise you get stuck with the times and restaurants you are given. Absolutely loved the churrasqueria restaurant!! Would also recommend you bring an insulated cup, its very hot and the bartenders are glad to fill your cup. The shows are pretty good and entertainning but if you are a boring person you will be bored anywhere. The oysters and the conch meat on the beach was fantastic (sold by the locals). We enjoyed the excursions: 27 waterfalls, dune buggy, riding horseback riding with lunch (excellent food) and ziplining. The rooms were great no complaints, nothing fancy but everything in my room was working and having the balcony in the room was nice. My bf and I enjoyed the spa and had an hour and a half of heaven and then enjoyed the jaccuzzi there with a glass of wine. The nightclub ICE was fun its small but again its what you make of it. Remember to tip!!!! tip!!! Tip!!! People there at this resort go out of their way to please you and would do anything they can for you to enjoy your stay! The free wifi sucks but i didnt care i wanted to disconnect from my world anyhow. Its a dollar a min to call from the room so i just checked in with family a few times and i was fine with that.... The sunday welcome party is absolutely theeee best, had a great time> the food and entertainment was great!!! highly recommend it! This resort is Great for the Price !!! use american money no need to exchange!!! Banana boat on the beach is fun !! Enjoy your trip!!
*dont forget your waterproof camera

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
Tarrytown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Lifestyle for 8 nights. The first night we stayed at the Tropical section which rooms are without A/C. It was so hot, my son was nose bleeding, I went to the front desk and requested another room with AC but they said the A/C Unit wasn't working for the last 4 days and there was nothing they can do to help me. Next day I contacted Apple Vacation representative, he right away move us to the Crown Suite. It was beautiful!
My question is, if customer service, from lifestyle, knows there is no AC in some room why they make people suffer before giving them what they paid for???
IF YOU ARE GOING TRAVELING WITH YOUR CHILDREN, THIS IS NOT THE RESORT TO GO.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

When I booked this resort they told me they would have a shuttle come to the airport and pick us up. I called the resort 3 days before my arrival they told me they knew of no such thing and could not do it. We ended up paying one of their taxis $100 american dollars to take us to the resort. It was only a 25min. drive.
So many things was wrong about this resort it is too much to tell, but I will tell u this:
1) My sister ended up moving to a different room every night. Let me tell you why: out of three different rooms the a/c did not work, one room smelt like moled and mildew and the fifth one the key did not work so she was locked out at 1am for hours. She ended up sleeping in my room her last night there. She had no time to relax out of five days and did not get any good sleep.
2)One night I had no water in my room and could not wash my hands or take a shower.
3) When it was time to depart to the airport they wanted us to pay another $50 each. We spent most of our time down at the front desk complaining and not relaxing. Out of the six nights there I only relaxed one night and my sister none. I would not recommend this resort to anybody.

Room Tip: This is a huge resort , but at this particular one, "The Tropical" in most of the units th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Naugatuck, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just got back yesterday. My friend and I booked through cheapcaribbean.com. We stayed at the lifestyle tropical resort & spa. Basically you get what you pay for! The food SUCKED! Breakfast buffet was the best thing there...dont miss breakfast! Lunch was ok on some days dinner was TERRIBLE!!! SAM OLD CRAP EVERY DAY..We stayed in building 5 the AC was decent-- not unbearably hot but definitely could have been cooler... thankfully there was a ceiling fan. There is definitely not 27 bars as advertised. We actually went to the same little bar over at the Cofresi 3 nights in a row! There is one nightclub called ICE we didn't venture there but heard it was OK played good music and very crowded. The best time was the swim up bar right near our building. The party really is in the pool. We met a ton of people and had a great time drinking the bahamma mammas. The beach wasn't too good. Very rocky and I'm talking large rocks that you just keep banging into every time you try to walk. The water is definitely not crystal blue like youd see in mexico...DO NOT BOOK ANY EXCURSIONS THROUGH THE HOTEL! TOTAL RIPOFF! We did the paradise isalnd Excursion for $165 a person right after the guy hounded us to book because it was going to "sell out" Another couple told us the guys on the beach were offering similar trips for $50 a person! The trip was OK we did get to swim in the crystal blue water, but very long we left at 8 AM and didnt get back until 6 PM it was an hour bus ride just to get on the boat and an hour and a half bus ride back not too mention we had to stop at a rip off souvenier shop on the way home. I will say the food on that excursion was the best we ate all week!The locals on the beach are very nice we did tubing with them for $15 each they also have parasailing for $60 a person and banana boats...there was no jetskiing which was a bummer. Staff was excellent very friendly if you tip the bartenders they will take care of you. They only stocked the mini fridge the first day. The brugal rum is awesome! i bought a bottle to take home. All the shops are rip offs go see the huts on the beach for better deals. if your a smoker get your cigs at the airport but not the duty free shop theres actually a shop right behind it were they are even cheaper. I paid $93 for a 3 carton pack of marlboros at the duty free then saw the shop behind offering the same 3 pack for $85. So you can save a few bucks. Like i said you get what you pay for...for $790 a person it was a good trip but i would definitely pay more to stay somewhere nicer, this isnt a hotel i would stay at again. By the way we are 2 girls age 28 & 25

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Tropical during the end of June. We weren't so sure at first but ended up having the best time ever! The entertainment staff was great. Too bad we met them on our last day! John Cena was one of the best people we met. He made our last day the best. Great person to talk too and made the games by the pool fun. Team "MEGA BLOWPOPS" won the poolside "Olympic games" and we got a nice certificate later that night at the Coliseum. There is something to do there every night. Was def worth the money we paid and my friend is planning on going back in September. We spent more time getting to know John Cena but we also met Puchi, Michael Jordon, Jhony Bravo, and John Wayne. All were great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I recently went back to Puerto Plata and got to visit/tour The Tropical at Lifestyles. I was showing my friend what an amazing resort this was. We couldn't believe the difference of Lifestyles vs any other resort we've ever been to!!
The beaches were clean (both of garbage and locals), the food ..... absolutely amazing, the drinks .... such a wide variety including american liquor, the rooms were clean, spacious, and very accommodating, lastly the entertainment .... the staff work so hard to ensure that each and every guest has a smile on their face all day/evening long. In the morning, we took part in the water aerobics where the instructor John Cena was so much fun. He had so much energy, involved everyone, and was pretty easy to look at ;). Best water aerobics instructor EVER!!! At the Welcome party & Foam party John Cena entertained everyone with his amazing dance skills. He got all of the guests into the spirit.
Overall I had, yet again, a trip of a lifetime and I would go back in a minute ....already planning to go in the fall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

In our arrival to the hotel, we checked in and the man that helped us was clueless, he seemed nervous and kept forgetting what he was doing. My husband, another couple and I were traveling together so we wanted our rooms to be nearby, and he said he doubted he could arrange that for us. I had called the hotel beforehand to ask about any upgrades for newlyweds and they told me that it wouldn't be a problem, when I asked the guy that helped us checked in, he gave me a look and said he didn't know anything about that, even said "are you sure you call this hotel?" I even had my marriage certificate, he didnt even look at it. I just let it go. We went to our room and it had a horrible smell of humidity, we had to open the balcony to let some air in. The "AC" was apparently just a type of ventilation because even though the thermostat said 60 degrees it felt like just air from a fan was coming out. Fridge looked old and had a loud noise. Cleaning lady always restocked bottle water and made our beds. I didnt like the room at all.
Service in the vip beach was excellent, however just on the side where you walk in, by thw big bar, the other side waiters wouldnt even ask you if you wanted anything. Francisco Lebron (vip beach) was the best waiter/worker in that hotel, he would really seem happy to help you and made us feel like kings. Anibal and william too. Vip beach was the hightlight of the hotel, the beach was ugly and full of algae, large rocks on the floor when you were in the water.
Martires and Scarlett were amazing at the Indochine restaurant, the food wasnt that good. David and Roberto were very nice as well at the Cana bar (pool bar) the staff at the casablanca buffet were very kind as well, especially Ramon and a younger guy that worked with him during dinner in the outside part.
The food at the Dominican restaurant was great either, at that point we just ate from the buffet.
The foam party was lots of fun and the waiters were always asking if you needed a drink which was nice.
The staff at he lobby could be a bit friendlier. And the whole bracelet thing was a little too much, however i was glad no one bothered us wih time shares or anything.
I would say that if you can pay a little extra, go somewhere else .

• Stayed July 2013