“Set your expectations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Boston, Massachusetts
“Set your expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I went with a group of 9 people total with 4 separate rooms. We booked through a travel website, which could be the difference with our experience and others. The rooms were...terrible...then we got used to them. Honestly, we didn't spend any time in the rooms but the A/C did not work in ANY of the rooms (per staff the entire resort was out), the bathrooms were tiny and unremarkable. We stayed at Tropical; the buffet was honestly nasty. 'All Inclusive" was everything but...they should have marketed it as 'included buffet and bar drinks.' We were limited with the amount of drinks in our fridge, including bottled water and were not allowed to make other dinner reservations. The '24 hr swim up bar' closed at 5pm, however, after some convincing the staff they kept it open for us.

The majority of the staff were super friendly. Despite the inflexibility of the resort, the staff did their best to keep everyone having a good time! Yes, the drinks were watered down- buy some rum/tequila at the duty free and add your own or ask for extra in your drink. Never a problem. Try the mamajuana, the local drink there.

We found out that we could go to Cofresi, just a bit down the beach. That buffet was really good, the staff even friendlier and the pools better. The club there, ICE, was cool too. If you go to Lifestyle I would suggest staying at Cofresi and not Tropical. The entertainment is awesome though, especially the foam party and VIP welcome party (per my friends, I did not make it :( Not sure I would go here again, though.

Room Tip: don't book the basic room- either get a suite or stay at cofresi....unless you want the most bud...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I cannot have asked for a better vacation. The pictures online don't do this place justice. The resort is beautiful with amazing views of the ocean, mountains, beaches, and pools with waterfalls. Swim up bars, buffet food, and private restaurants don't disappoint.

The staff is amazing, everyone is so friendly and willing to help with any questions you have and make your stay as enjoyable as possible. When you're here be sure to find Johnny Bravo... this guys is awesome!! Very fun and friendly and really gets everyone up and involved in various activities, not to mention participates along with you. This guy as well as all the other guys who work with him (Choco Choco and Michael Jordan) work their butts off from morning to night entertaining visitors with games, dancing, and night time entertainment shows (the Michael Jackson tribute concert was awesome) I don't know where these guys get the energy to do all they do.

In all, I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for a nice relaxing and fun vacation. I went with my family and had a blast just hanging by the pool. I recommend the dune buggie ride if you want to get REALLY muddy and see some of the local area. Great job Lifestyles Tropical!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hauppauge, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Firstly, when we took the taxi ride to the resort we were amazed how mountaineous and beautiful Puerto Plata is, much different than other islands I have been to. The first room we received in building 5 was nice only if the Air Conditioning would have worked. The building 1 through 6 didnt have airconditioning working and there were alot of complaints. After the second night with no sleep because of the heat we complained again and spoke with a supervisor and we were moved to junior suite which was a very nice room. The food was not good and I heard that from speaking with many people at the pool. The employees I would give 5 stars because they were awesome, from the porter who helped me with my broken suitcase to Johnny Bravo giving us a water aerobic class at the pool. The parties and entertainment were also awesome! Would I go back? Yes but next time I want to see about renting a villa and being a VIP and having my own golf cart to ride around the complex, which is very large. The grounds are kept beautiful, we even had a mango tree in our backyard. Overall if you dont have high expectations on food I am very glad I went.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Loved this place. I was nervous based on some of the reviews I saw, so I prepared myself for the potential "terrible food", "rude staff", "weak drinks", "timeshare stalkers" and "horrible room"...but I didn't experience ANY of that!!

The food in the buffet was delicious. Sure, not everything was fabulous, but there was a great selection, and I always managed to find something I really liked!

The staff wasn't rude at all. There were a bunch that spoke very little English, so it could get frustrating trying to communicate, but they were never rude.

I got most of my drink at the pool bar, and they were NOT weak. I never even had to ask for a double or more alcohol...however, YOU BETTER LIKE RUM!!! EVERYTHING tasted like rum:)

There were some people that hung around the buffet area bugging us to "take us on a tour", which we knew was inevitable, but we blew them off until a cloudy day. They never bothered us any other times though. Once we went for the "tour", we were never bothered again.

Our room was nice. It was in building 5 of the Tropical. It was clean, and bug free (except for a few ants, but we were on the 1st floor, so that wasn't out of the ordinary). The only problem was the a/c. It really didn't work well at all. We had a ceiling fan, which helped, but the room temp would be my ONLY complaint!

A lot of the fun we had is definitely due to the Entertainment Staff. Specifically John Cena and Pouchie Pouchie, as well as Johnny Bravo, Choco Choco and Lenny Cravitz. They were all so much fun, and the trip would have not have been nearly as enjoyable without them there!!

Room Tip: We were in building 5. I really liked that location. Very quiet. A/C wasn't great, but it soun...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband John and I are Shareholders and stayed in a 1 BR refurbished Royal Suite. This section of the resort is very quiet with a central pool which was nice to dip into when hot. The suite consisted of a modern kitchen with stainless steel appliances, living room, separate master bedroom, and ceramic and glass bathroom - wow, couldn't have asked for more. We were on the ground floor and had our own private furnished patio. Maid service was excellent. Had a great time visiting with our wait staff at Deja View beach, and having mid afternoon crepes at Serenity beach. Also checked out the new VIP "NV" Beach over at the Cofresi section of the resort. Check out the thin-crust pizza's at Fadi's grill - great. All-in-all, the level of service, and attention to detail that we receive at LHVC is second to none. Wouldn't go anywhere else. Thanks again to Jose and all the staff for another great vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Union
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

When we first arrived at Lifestyle we were very disappointed. This was not the type of resort that we normally get from Cheap Caribbean. The lobby was very plain, the counter was all scratched up and sticky but we thought we shouldn't judge by the lobby. All the other resorts we have traveled to have looked like the inside of cruise ships...beautiful with unbelievable floral arrangements and chandeliers....this was not at all like that. So we go to our rooms...disgusting! The electrical outlets had no covers, there were no bathtubs, the refrigerator wobbled and was very outdated, the tvs were very old and the picture was all fuzzy, the beds were a mattress on a piece of plywood (no box springs) and dirty! Back to the lobby (with tears in our eyes) we go to complain about these horrible rooms. The front desk gets us in touch with Cheap Caribbean with a $2 fee and a telephone that was so dirty you didn't want to talk on it! Cheap Caribbean will not move us for less than $500 per person!!!! But the front desk clerk (whom I don't know her name) stepped in and offered us a better room to be put into the next day. What else could we do? We were stuck here! The next room was a little better but still beds with plywood, old tvs and refrigerators that won't sit up straight. The next thing that happens is the electricity goes out...at least a couple times each day. And....when the electricity goes out there is no water!!! CRAZY!! So....we decide that we must move on since there is nothing else we can do. Lets make the best of it. The next day goes much better...the pool activities are wonderful....John Cena with Water Aerobics and Lenny Craviz entertaining. They are the BEST!!! We ventured over to the other resort later in the week but the pool activities were nothing in comparison to Lifestyle's. These two guys make the pool the best place to be! Then we try out the bar adjacent to the lobby....Gina is our bartender and she is wonderful....great personality...always smiling. Then there is the Sunday night "Welcome Party"....wow!! What a party!!! it was wonderful! Food was fantastic, drinks great, and entertainment galore! We ate at the buffet the next few days and Bruno was a GREAT waiter. We tried to get him every time we ate there. He was very attentive and friendly. The Thursday night party was indescribable! Bubbles everywhere! Music, dancing, shows. This place is crazy fun! And....everyone seems so happy that works here. The maids always spoke and smiled and kept our room clean and in order. I have traveled to probably five or six other resorts and the beach here was the worst I ever saw at any of them and the rooms and lobby were the worst but the entertainment and employees at this resort topped them all. So...my hat goes off to the employees because if it wasn't for them this trip would have been the most disappointing ever. Thank you John Cena, Lenny Craviz, Rita, and Bruno. Thank you Lifestyle for the great parties and entertainment. We had a lot of fun!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite and the corner suites are nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We booked our trip through cheap carribean. My husband and I stayed 7 nights and 8 days. Puerto Plata is beautiful!
We did not opt for the shuttle to the hotel so we payed $40 for a cab and gave him a $5 tip. The cab ride was interesting. It was a personal car owned by the driver which just seemed a little sketchy to me.The driver was like a tour guide and drove us around showing us things and telling us about the people and things they do. This was very interesting to me but we decided to take the shuttle back to the airport. It was $40 for me and my husband together and it is an airconditioned bus, which was greatly appreciated because the a/c in our room did not work.

The room was below average. We stayed in room 1205. I think it was building 5. The room was not that bad but the ac did not blow out any cool air and we maybe had 2 warm showers the whole time we were there. It wasn't that bad because it was hot and I enjoyed the cool showers. It did get really hot at night because of the ac not working. My sister stayed in the same building and her ac worked fine and her room was almost twice the size of mine. She was on the bottom floor though and did not have a view of the ocean like my room.

We had an amazing time at the pool with the entertainers! Johnny Bravo is our favorite and really made our vacation even more fun! He came over to us at the pool and struck up a conversation inviting us to play horseshoes. We laughed so much during the game that we decided to meet at the pool everyday to tplay the games and watch him entertain other people. He is so fun and just absolutely amazing at what he does! He also invited us to shows at the Colisseum at night! The shows and entertainment were beyond our wildest expecations! There is a "must attend" foam party on Thursday nights. The foam, dancers and fireworks were really awesome! If you want a bed in VIP you need to get up around 7am to get in line. I would take a towel, beach cover up and an empty bag or something to throw on the bed. As long as your stuff is there no on will mess with the bed and they have security checking as well. It is crazy because everyone makes a mad rush for the beds! We also took an adventure trip. We did the waterfalls, horseback riding and zip lining for $120 per person. I did not think it was worth the money. The waterfalls are not waterfalls like we had imagined and they fail to tell you it is a rigorous workout climbing to the top and even going down the rocks. Don't forget to bring your own water shoes if you go! They charge you $2 for plastic church shoes and socks that have been worn by many other people and never been washed. We did get a really good laugh out of this and it is something we will never forget! The horse back riding is about 15 minutes of trecking the horses up to a pond and back. The zip lining was really fun but only lasts about 20 to 30 mins.
The food was ok. We received 2 reservations when we got there, which were not with my sister. Don't bother going to guest services because they are not guest friendly and could care less about your requests! We were told the only way to change our reservations were if someone cancelled. I'm pretty sure this isn't true because our friends stayed over at Cofresi and they were able to change their reservations several nights in a row. The buffet food was mediocre. Do not get the cheese on the pasta..it stinks and tastes awful. The restaurant we really did enjoy was the Italian restaurant. The food was delicious and the salad bar was great too!

Overall, the vacation was definitely worth the money we paid. If you are expecting a 5 star resort, this isn't it. If you can satisfy yourself with the fact that you are on vacation in a beautiful 3rd world country where they don't have all the amenities and non- necessities we have in America, then this is the place for you. This was by far one of the best places we have been. Not because of the resort or the food was amazing..... Because of the people that work there- like Johnny Bravo, Spaghetti, Cappucino, John Cena, and several of our waitresses and bartenders- and the beauty of the place itself!

Room Tip: It seems like higher floors in building 5 have less ac and less hot water. Lower floors are bigger a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple