As someone who has traveled to the Dominican Republic (on a budget) MANY times I pretty much know what to expect...but I can honestly say I was blown away by the size of this resort. So, some information that might help you have a better trip...
Check-in - expect a line. But, you can just grab a drink at the bar in the lobby and make the best of it. The front desk staff was very accomodating, switching around rooms so that we were by our friends.
FOOD - This was pretty disappointing. I'm used to resorts where you can make your reservations in the morning for the various restaurants. This resort boasts MANY restaurants, unfortunately you are given two reservations upon check-in. So, were were assigned 9:30pm dinner at the Spanish restaurant and the Dominican Restaurant. We WANTED the Mexican restaurant and the Japanese restaurant--and we wanted to eat a little earlier. Unfortunately, if you try to change your reservations they tell you that nothing is avaialable. The only person I heard of who was able to switch told the desk that her husband had diabetes and a diet restriction--then she was given her choice of time/restaurant. So, unfortunately we had to eat the standard buffet food every evening. HINT: GO TO COFRESI BUFFET. It's MUCH better! Also, be prepared to stand in line for omelettes, carving stations, etc.
The pools at Tropical are okay. The pool bar is in a pool that is super deep (unless you stand RIGHT next to the bar) which i thought was a little weird. Why let people drink and then FORCE them to swim back to their lounge chairs?! The entertainment pool is below the pool bar pool -- the two are NOT attached. You have to get out and walk around...again...stupid set-up. It's usually the people who are drinking that want to play games with the entertainment crew! The pools are not the typical "lazy river/tropical style" pools you usually see. They are pretty standard. Again, COFRESI POOL is GORGEOUS. It's what you think of when you think tropical pool...there are TWO pool bars over there. One is under a cave. Pretty cool.
The VIP beach at Tropical is AMAZING. It has beach beds that are clean, comfortable, and keep the sun off you. Waiters will bring food/drinks directly to these beach beds. THey say you need a VIP wrist band to get into this beach, but I never saw anyone actually checking. In order to get a bed on the VIP beach you MUST be in LINE by 7:15am. No joke. One guy actually SLEPT on a lounge chair by the entrance to the VIP beach. Then, once they open the gates it's like Hunger Games competition--running to throw your stuff on the beach bed you want. Most of the day these are just held by personal items (towels, suntan lotion, etc.) the shady beach beds are a hot commodity -- so if you don't get there early in the morning you might not get one at all. you can usually find one in the sun later in the day. the VIP beach also has cool pools (look like jacuzzi's) on the beach to cool down. A staircase leads down to the ocean -- there is security to make sure only hotel guests come/go on the VIP beach.
At night we went over to the COFRESI pool bar. It was a better scene--and that's where the night club is located (they closed the one at Tropical and are turnign it into a casino). The drinks at the nightclub were included (Although we were originally told it was cash bar--not true). SUPER fun, tons of people.
THe welcome party was great. It's not actually on a beach...it's like a wedding in a huge field. Giant food tent, waiters, huge show. We were up on stage dancing with the entertainment...what a great time!
The rooms were nice enough--and who spends time in the rooms anyway? Building six was great (five would be too) both are right by the pools...
Our trip was not long enough=we all plan on going back!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach