“Amazing vacation...but know before you go!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York
“Amazing vacation...but know before you go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As someone who has traveled to the Dominican Republic (on a budget) MANY times I pretty much know what to expect...but I can honestly say I was blown away by the size of this resort. So, some information that might help you have a better trip...

Check-in - expect a line. But, you can just grab a drink at the bar in the lobby and make the best of it. The front desk staff was very accomodating, switching around rooms so that we were by our friends.

FOOD - This was pretty disappointing. I'm used to resorts where you can make your reservations in the morning for the various restaurants. This resort boasts MANY restaurants, unfortunately you are given two reservations upon check-in. So, were were assigned 9:30pm dinner at the Spanish restaurant and the Dominican Restaurant. We WANTED the Mexican restaurant and the Japanese restaurant--and we wanted to eat a little earlier. Unfortunately, if you try to change your reservations they tell you that nothing is avaialable. The only person I heard of who was able to switch told the desk that her husband had diabetes and a diet restriction--then she was given her choice of time/restaurant. So, unfortunately we had to eat the standard buffet food every evening. HINT: GO TO COFRESI BUFFET. It's MUCH better! Also, be prepared to stand in line for omelettes, carving stations, etc.

The pools at Tropical are okay. The pool bar is in a pool that is super deep (unless you stand RIGHT next to the bar) which i thought was a little weird. Why let people drink and then FORCE them to swim back to their lounge chairs?! The entertainment pool is below the pool bar pool -- the two are NOT attached. You have to get out and walk around...again...stupid set-up. It's usually the people who are drinking that want to play games with the entertainment crew! The pools are not the typical "lazy river/tropical style" pools you usually see. They are pretty standard. Again, COFRESI POOL is GORGEOUS. It's what you think of when you think tropical pool...there are TWO pool bars over there. One is under a cave. Pretty cool.

The VIP beach at Tropical is AMAZING. It has beach beds that are clean, comfortable, and keep the sun off you. Waiters will bring food/drinks directly to these beach beds. THey say you need a VIP wrist band to get into this beach, but I never saw anyone actually checking. In order to get a bed on the VIP beach you MUST be in LINE by 7:15am. No joke. One guy actually SLEPT on a lounge chair by the entrance to the VIP beach. Then, once they open the gates it's like Hunger Games competition--running to throw your stuff on the beach bed you want. Most of the day these are just held by personal items (towels, suntan lotion, etc.) the shady beach beds are a hot commodity -- so if you don't get there early in the morning you might not get one at all. you can usually find one in the sun later in the day. the VIP beach also has cool pools (look like jacuzzi's) on the beach to cool down. A staircase leads down to the ocean -- there is security to make sure only hotel guests come/go on the VIP beach.

At night we went over to the COFRESI pool bar. It was a better scene--and that's where the night club is located (they closed the one at Tropical and are turnign it into a casino). The drinks at the nightclub were included (Although we were originally told it was cash bar--not true). SUPER fun, tons of people.

THe welcome party was great. It's not actually on a beach...it's like a wedding in a huge field. Giant food tent, waiters, huge show. We were up on stage dancing with the entertainment...what a great time!

The rooms were nice enough--and who spends time in the rooms anyway? Building six was great (five would be too) both are right by the pools...

Our trip was not long enough=we all plan on going back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for your kind comments. Your feedback will provide motivation and confidence to keep working to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again and continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Amazing, that's the first word i use to describe this vaction when people ask! This was my 3rd time in the Domincan Republic and 2nd time at this resort. Already planning our next visit, hopefully for August 2013. Lifestlye Tropical is the place to be. The beaches are absolutely beautiful and the scenery is breathtaking. We made friends with so many people there that we will keep in touch with. Their employees are honestly some of the nicest people i've ever met. I want to give a BIG shot out to the Animation Team at Lifestyle Tropical. These guys made this vacation one that i will be talking about for years to come. They were so much fun and so knowledgeable. They definitely have a knack for crowd interaction. But don't worry, if you're not one to participate i promise you will get an absolute kick out of just watching everyone. We started each and every day with Water Areobics in the pool instructed by John Cena..... he has a way of making you want to get up off your chair and move, if you know what i mean :). Then at 3pm it was time for some games and afternoon dancing with John Cena, Lenny Kravitz, Puchi, Johnny Bravo and Michael Jordan so much fun! After that it was time to go back to the room get showered, go eat and head off to the show. We found ourselves eating at Casablanca (buffet) a lot. It was close to our room and they do an excellent job at switching up the menu each night. They even have the basics if you're a "picky" eater. The staff there gets an A+ especially Elvis :). No matter how busy he was he would do his best to make sure we had a table and were taken care of. I recommend taken advantage of the enertainmnet this resort provides. There is a differnet show or party to head to every night. This Animation Team is so talented!! You will see the same people Dancing at these shows and parties that you see working poolside during the day. They are true entertainers! i can go on and on about this vacation. Hands down, it was the best! Whether you are going down there with your significant other, as a family or with a friend or 5 I promise you will have a blast. I know we did, and the staff was a huge part of that! Keep up the good work guys and we WILL see you again real soon <3

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We will congratulate our animation staff for providing a great hospitality.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

Kingston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was my first trip to the Dominican and it was a blast!!!! I can't wait to go back to Lifestyle Tropical Beach the entertainment was awesome with John Cena, Puchi, Michael Jordan, and Lenny Kravitz love those guys they made it so much fun when you are hanging out by the pool!!!! Did water aerobics with John Cena awesome instructor (jealous of his awesome abs!!) People are very friendly and service was great! I like the buffet to go to for each meal because your not pressured for time or have to be all dressed up to go eat. Also, the entertainment at night was amazing with all those guys from the pool they work so hard during the day and then go entertain people at night they do a great job at what they do!!!!!!!!!!! It was a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation by far best vacation ever!!!! Loved it!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also would like to thank you for writing this nice comment about your experience, we will congratulate our animation staff.

We are very glad to read that you had a great vacation and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again very soon.

Best regards.

The Management.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This resort was lovely. It was enormous, there were tons of pools and space by the beach. The service was a little lackluster. Guest services did not really provide us services. They made our reservations for us before we even got to the resort, and it was based on room size, not party (i.e., my girlfriend and I came in, and my three friends had their own room). And the reservations were for restaurants we didn't want to eat at and for 9pm. We managed to show up to two restaurants nicely dressed two separate nights and get to eat there, though the process was very hard.

The front desk would not change out a large bill so I could tip.

Also, when I'm trying to lay out on the beach or by the pool, every 10 minutes someone came by asking me to buy jewelry or go horseback riding. Sometimes they took me out of my vacation.

We booked a couples massage and it was amazing. Massage+Jacuzzi+Champagne+Sauna+Free gift = TOTALLY worth it.

Lastly, Alfonso at the front desk lied directly to my face when he said he would give us a 10-min tour of the facilities, which I thought was great b/c the resort was huge. He took us on a 10-min walk to an office where they sat us down and tried to sell us a timeshare. I'd say go just to get your free bottle of rum, but just tell them straight forward that you are not interested.

They still have two parties at VIP World that are fantastic and for both members and non-members, so casual vacationers can get a taste of the life.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.

Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards,

Pine Island, Minnesota

stayed at Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa end of April 2013
resort was very clean, everyone was so friendly. Want to compliment the entertainment staff, they were so pleasant and made us feel very welcome. John Cena was so helpful and accomadating - loved his personality - just made our trip very fun!!!!! Good job John Cena!! also want to compliment Puchi,Lenny Craviz an MIchael Jordan - they love their job and do such a wonderful job!!!! Also want to compliment Jackie a waiter in the dining room , she was always so pleasant and very helpful..

Room Tip: stayed in building one - shower didn''t have alot of pressure or hot water except for day we...
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa as the hotel to enjoy your vacation. We are very glad to read that you had a great vacation and we will congratulate our animation staff and Jackie about your nice comments regarding them.

We hope to see you back soon in our lovely hotel.

New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel was amazing. I read the reviews before I went and some of them scared me. I have been to the Dominican Republic Several times in my life and it is one of my favorite places because the people are so friendly and kind. The staff at this resort is amazing. The parties they put on through out the week made this by far the best all inclusive resort I HAVE EVER STAYED AT! Plus we paid hardly anything for this trip on CheapCaribbean.com, which was an extra bonus. There is so much to do on this resort, whether you are a person who wants to relax, or so activities or go to the spa.
-John Cena & Lenny Craviz keep the activities going through out the day. Water aerobics and pool games, and kept the party going through out the night!
-Emilio Martinez was at the front door waiting to assist us with our bags as we arrived and made sure we were taken care of and happy through out our stay.
- Hector Martinez took care of us day after day in our ocean side cabana on the VIP beach, serving us all our drinks and food and made us smile every day.
-Jose Mercado & Belkys Ventura took excellent care of us at the mexican restaurant on the property, and this was our FAVORITE restaurant out of them all.
-Jose Rafael Castillo took care of us day after at the Casablanca buffet for all the meals we did not eat at the restaurants. Serving us our morning coffee with a smile.
It was very important for me to recognize ALL these people and there are so many more because These are the people that made are stay as amazing as it was.
There is so much food and activities at this resort that if you don't care for something there is always something else to eat or do.
The VIP party on Sunday was amazing and the food was out of this world, I only wish I took pictures of the food and the presentation because it was so amazing. And the VIP world party on Thursday night complete with the "soap bubble" party was wild. I have never been to such a GREAT resort.......and I have traveled A LOT. Each party was finished with a firework display! Truly Top Notch. We paid $727.50 per person with our airfare included on cheapcarribean.com and felt like we had stole the trip. AMAZING DEAL, AMAZING PLACE. FUN. FUN. FUN.
WE will definitely return to this place. See you soon Lifestyles!

Room Tip: I just asked for and ocean view room and the staff was happy to give it to us. But any room is good...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. Your compliment towards our staff really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide an unforgettable experience and also help us to always improve our service.
We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at Lifetyle Tropical Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

The management,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Call me crazy but I am making two trips to this resort this year. This is not my first time there, in fact this was my third. I went with a few friends and we had a great time. Made some new friends over there as well. The stafff is amazing, Lilo tennis pro especially was very friendly and is definitely and asset the the resort. I have always enjoyed myself at the Sunday welcome party, the Thursday party now is actually bigger and is an amazing show (excellent job guys). The staff at the late night blue lagoon is very entertaining, good spot to wine down after a long day. Overall there is plenty to do at the resort itself to keep one busy for a week, but we decided to rent a car to discover Puerto Plata. Ended up in Santiago and Cabarete, great time in both places. Just be careful maneuvering around the bikes. Till next time Lifestyle resorts