“I am going back again this year.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“I am going back again this year.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Call me crazy but I am making two trips to this resort this year. This is not my first time there, in fact this was my third. I went with a few friends and we had a great time. Made some new friends over there as well. The stafff is amazing, Lilo tennis pro especially was very friendly and is definitely and asset the the resort. I have always enjoyed myself at the Sunday welcome party, the Thursday party now is actually bigger and is an amazing show (excellent job guys). The staff at the late night blue lagoon is very entertaining, good spot to wine down after a long day. Overall there is plenty to do at the resort itself to keep one busy for a week, but we decided to rent a car to discover Puerto Plata. Ended up in Santiago and Cabarete, great time in both places. Just be careful maneuvering around the bikes. Till next time Lifestyle resorts

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at this resort, and had mostly good things to say. The location is beautiful; very scenic with mountains and set on a nice cove. The weather was unbelievably good, almost crystal clear skies the whole time with some rain one night. The resort property was massive. The entire property consists of the Tropical, Cofresi, and several villas and suites. It is so big they offer shuttles every 25 minutes to take you around if you didn't want to walk. Luckily we had plenty to do at the Tropical, and only walked around elsewhere out of curiosity.

The staff was great. Everyone was smiling and happy, very appreciative of tips, and you could tell they are well trained to try and make you enjoy your stay. The entertainment staff was funny and tried to get you involved in the daily activities, but was not so pushy that you could politely decline and they would not try and force you to join.

I have mixed thoughts about the food. Surprisingly, the buffets were excellent. I thought they did a great job of changing up their offering each night, and it was always high quality. As for the other restaurants, I was not very pleased. When you check in, they give you 2 reservations. We were given the Asian and Mexican, both for 9pm. They will allow you to change the time as long as it is done on that same day, but they couldn't guarantee anything and we were never able to change restaurants. That was disappointing because we really wanted to go to the seafood and Dominican ones instead but they never let us. That said, the food was pretty good at both although I preferred the buffets.

If you are a big drinker, you probably won't care for this resort. The only bar you could get premium spirits was at the VIP, which meant a lack of convenience if you weren't sitting close by, a longer wait since many people frequented it, and they closed at 5:30 every evening, so no good drinks at night. All the other bars had basically the same drinks, and everything has grenadine, so it all tasted the same--too sweet. I am not a huge beer drinker but El Presidente is pretty good, and the Brugal rum available in VIP and at La Cayena in the lobby was as well.

Our room was in a great location, very convenient, and always clean. No problems with hot water, water pressure or anything else. We did have problems with the power going out one night but found out there was an easy fix; every room has a slot that requires a plastic card inserted which turns the power on. After that there were no problems, and it was actually easy to sleep with no audible noises right outside or through the walls.

The pool areas were great; with such a large property, you could easily find chairs on the beach or any of the pools, and there were a lot of pools--most of which are adults only which we appreciated. The beach left a little to be desired; it was very rocky just under the surf so we had to tread carefully, although if you walk towards Ocean World there is a very nice, crystal clear area of public beach that allowed for easy swimming and walking in the water. The timing of our travel couldn't have been better because the resort and beach was nowhere near capacity, which helped even more. But on Sunday the public beach was crowded with locals, so we just stayed on the resort--even though nobody would have bothered us anyway.

All in all, for $800 each for a full week, my wife and I were very satisfied with going to this resort. We had never been to the Dominican Republic and had a great time. But, I would likely not return, mostly because we like going new places but also because of the low quality drinks and the restaurant situation. But if you have never been, it is definitely worth going at least once!

Room Tip: We were in building 3, ground level, which was great for very easy access to the lobby, buffet, bars...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for your kind comments. Your feedback will provide motivation and confidence to keep working to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

Best regards,

Millington, Nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

A perfect vacation! 7 beautiful, sunny days in paradise. I went with my boyfriend, my 21 yr old daughter, and his 24 yr old daughter. We had a blast! There's no pressure to do anything - the tour of the resort, any activities or services offered - just a polite "no thank you" works fine.

The deal I got was so cheap through Cheap Caribbean I was afraid there had to be a down side somewhere - but Lifestyle Tropical was very clean, the service was great, the food was good, the people were very friendly and helpful and the parties were unbelievable! Thursday night VIP Party was full of surprises (glitter, fire, foam & dancing)...Crazy fun!! Sunday Welcome Party was also amazing.

The guys at the pool were the best! John Cena, Michael Jordan, Puchi Puchi, Lenny Craviz, Johnny Bravo and the others were always happy, funny, ready to please and get you up and going. Water aerobics was great just to watch John Cena instructing...oh what a body :) These guys also worked into the night in the shows. If you didn't have fun it's because you didn't want to. Thanks again guys for adding to our vacation fun!

After water aerobics the guys get people involved in one of their games (the winner gets a prize) and then there's a break in the action for a few hours. Now you can get a drink at the VIP bar, hang out at the pool bar, read for a while by the ocean or the pool and grab lunch. 3-4pm it starts again with a live band and dancing or some other activity if you want.

The buffet has many choices. It was never a problem finding something you would like to eat. Fresh fruit and vegetables, salad, omelets, rice & beans, pasta, all kinds of meat, fish, drinks, and a different theme every night for dinner. Snacks, lunch and good quality alcohol at the VIP beach bar were great. Lots of fun drinks there too. Great Bloody Mary's and the Dirty Monkey was like dessert!

Although we hated to leave, the trip to the airport was very interesting thanks to Barney, our Olympus driver. He was like a tour guide giving information about the Domninican Republic and answering our questions.

This is the first review I've ever written. I read some Lifestyle Tropical reviews before we left and started to wonder if I'd made a mistake in choosing this location. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably unhappy people with a need to complain that are writing most of the reviews. I don't know what they're looking for but I don't think they'll find it. If you don't want to have a good time even paradise won't help.

If you're looking for a great vacation for a great price try Lifestyle Tropical.

Room Tip: When I go on vacation I sleep, shower and change in the room. This is not a priority for me. We had...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for posting a review about your experience among us and for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa for your holidays.

We are very glad to read your positive feedback about the different services and our staff. We really appreciate your nice comments about the food and specially our entertainers.

We will be pleased to welcome you back again, and please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival to help you to enjoy your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Absecon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

After reading the reviews I went in with an open mind. Unfortunately, I found out early that some of the bad reviews were true. Our room was not up to our usual standards by far. There was the smell of mildew that kept us up in the night. We kept our sliding door open to let fresh air in and that seemed to help but the old broken headboard and the small low lit bathroom were a turnoff. One other negative issue was the food at the buffet restaurants. Even my kids weren't happy with it. I suggested we each find something bearable to eat and just stick with that. Now the good news....the property was absolutely beautiful and maintained very well; kept very clean. The service and friendliness of the staff was over and beyond. We would go back again but we would like to see improvement of the rooms, the buffet food and family activities.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms overlooking the Casablanca buffet building #4
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.

Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Best Regards,

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This resort is absolutely worth staying at. It is exceptionally clean and all staff are always smiling and happy to help. It is a very very big property and a little overwhelming at first. You have to take shuttles to most places but once you get past that fact ( if your used to smaller resorts ) everything is beautiful. There is always plenty to do and always lots of room. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear guest,

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. Your compliment towards our staff really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide an unforgettable experience and also help us to always improve our service.
We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at Lifestyle Tropical Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

Best regards,

The management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I love this resort and have been twice since February. This is becoming our second home and we cant wait to come back in August. We only stayed 4 nights this time and it was not long enough. We have so much fun hanging out with the staff, who we are now close with, I left today and miss them so much already. We love John Cena, Puchi (Sticky), Lenny Kravitz (Pineapple Head), Johnny Bravo, Tairis (Mi Novia <3), Choco Choco, Spaghetti, Michael Jordan and Caramelo. We came back to a new SWEET party on Thursday night and the entertainment staff work so hard to make this happen. We love the VIP Beach and the wait staff at Casa Blanca (Jose Javier and Rafael) and the Pool Bar (Emilio and David). It is so much fun here and I cant wait until we are back in a couple months.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Was back here with my friends again two months after my first time back in February, was really great to see all the old faces we met from the first time and how they remembered us from before. Michael Jordan, john Cena, choco, johnny bravo, Lenny kravits, carmelo, puchi and tairis were all great hosts. Food was good entertainment is fun the amazing rave party on may 2 the VIP beach bar was great. Overall best vacation for the price.

• Stayed April 2013