“Sad leaving my second home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

Save Saved
You added The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort to your Saves list
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Columbus Torre 1 | Playa Cofresi, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Formerly Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #8 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“Sad leaving my second home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Being my second time at lifestyle resort it's always exciting and welcoming. The staff are always with smiles and always attentive. Our first time going we (my best friend and I) had the royal suites and oh what a great way to enjoy our first time with the pool out in front and ice cold beers in the fridge. Rooms were always cleaned when we returned with clean towels and new water bottles. We loved everyday of the trip and the resort. My second time with my boyfriend we unfortunately didn't get the royal suites but still had a nice room with a beautiful view of the pool and beach. We had the chance to have reservation at the Italian, Mexican and Indian all delish!! And waitstaff was attentive. :) I truly feel welcome here. Meet so many different people and saw many of the staff that I had met on my first visit, and they remembered me which made me feel special. :) would go back anytime of the year in a heart beat!! Thank you guys!! XO

• Stayed January 2013

2,742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I were in Puerto Plata for two weeks. We were staying at another resort when my hubby "bumped into" a person who takes you on tours for Lifestyles Holiday Vacation Club. We went on a tour that took about 6 hours and we were riding in a golf cart; not walking! The resort is simply gorgeous! He showed us all the V.I.P. beaches, a beach snack bar and then we stopped for lunch at the Ocean Grill restaurant at Harmony Beach and the fish sandwich we had was absolutely delicious as well as the fries! The vast expanse of this resort necessitates the use of a golf cart or the shuttle service (which runs all over and very often) and all of it is beautiful! The beaches are so very clean and lovely! Lying on a round bed at Serenity Beach with humongous white pillows to prop yourself up against right in front of the ocean was such a mesmerizing, relaxing experience and one that we've never experienced before. We just layed there and watched someone para-sailing off in the distance and it was so peaceful. The restaurants are really good and the service was definitely top-notch. After the tour we purchased a vacation club membership with Lifestyles and stayed there for the remainder of our time in Puerto Plata. On our last night there, it happened to be their weekly Sunday welcome party for all their guests. It is done like a Las Vegas big show! The professional singers and dancers were spectacular and we had an awesome time! With everyone up and dancing after dinner it was one big beach party! The fireworks were absolutely gorgeous too! The people at the resort were all very friendly and couldn't do enough for you to ensure you were happy and had everything you needed! When we were going back to the airport to catch our flight home, we were picked up in our very own white stretch limo and the driver poured us some champagne from one of the limo bars! Just the two of us in that huge limo! The music was quietly playing, the blue sky, sunshine and ocean view along the road we sailed along on. It was very lovely indeed and we'll be back next year! We aren't royalty but we sure got a picture of what royalty is treated like during our stay at this resort!!! The maid service is excellent and the suite was clean and fresh and our fridge was stocked with water, Presidente (Caribbean) beer, pepsi as well as a fruit dish and cheese dish. Also, some white wine, orange juice and cranberry juice when we were asked what else we'd like them to put in the fridge for us. This resort aims to please you; what could be wrong with that!? If you have any requests or problems, just ask and your wish is their command. They really do want you to be happy! So, be happy!

Room Tip: Ask for what you need and you'll get it! If you don't speak up, who will know what you want...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My sister and I took a 5 day trip and stayed at Lifestyles. I have to say-- the online ratings I saw beforehand do NOT do this place justice-- neither do the pics. The resort was clean, beautifully landscaped, and staffed with tons of very friendly and helpful people. The guys that work at the main pool were so much fun-- playing games all day, the drinks were flowing, music playing. There is stuff going on every night too. This place has something for whatever you are looking for. The selection of excursions is impressive and surprisingly reasonably priced compared to what I have seen at other resorts.The crowd was a mix of couples, families and groups of adults so we felt very comfortable and safe. The food was excellent too and neither of us got sick. We ate the Blue Lagoon seafood place, Bellinis the italian place, the mexican place, and the buffet. You do have to get dinner reservations in the AM - and if you are persistent, you will... no problem. The VIP beach is beyond gorgeous - you do have to save a bed in the morning, but it is an easy process and people abide by that unwritten rule - our stuff never got moved. If you go expecting 3.5 stars (which I did) you will be thrilled with what this place had to offer. I am so sad to be back in the snow!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 3 on the 2nd floor. Not the quietest spot, but clean and great maid service da...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Unfortunately, this was just an "okay" vacation. The weather was great, but the resort was not. The food, customer service, liquor, and cleanliness were lacking. After the first day my husband and I both got sick from something we ate. We booked out vacation through RCI and will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hi just got back from 10 days at the Tropical Lifestyle Vacations Resort and Spa. Its the first time me and my partner have been further afield on holiday as we usually head for spain or the Canaries and we were worried what to expect after a 10 hour flight but we couldn't of been more pleased. The room was excellent it was cleaned everyday and the towels were also changed every day . The food in the buffet restaurant wasn't up to much but we ate in 4 of the many themed restuauants and the food was excellent in there. Watch out for the men with the clip boards asking you to go on a VIP tour they are just trying to sell you a scheme that gets you to upgrade to wearing a gold bracelet and getting VIP treatment. But to be honest the staff treated everybody like a VIP they couldn,t do enough for you every member of staff went above and beyond the call of duty from the bell boys who carried your bags to the waiters and waitresses and bar staff. But we would like to say a special thank you to the entertainment team that with boundless energy and humour kept us highly entertained throughout the day from early in the morning to last thing at night especially George of the Jungle, Johnny Bravo who I nick named Bruno Mars and Lenny Kravatz who I nick named LMAFO as they were dead ringers for them we then acquired the nick names sexy mammy and pappy. The highlights of the whole trip were the mega extreme day which consisted of waterfall jumping, zip lining amd horse riding it was a brilliant day and also the welcome party that they have every sunday night were there were singers, dancers, fireworks and endless food and drink.One more word of warning take plenty of insect repellent because you do get bit. But all in all we had a great holiday its a shame its so far away.

Room Tip: wear something on your feet in the rocky parts of the sea put plenty of insect repellent on as you w...
Griffin, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first time at the Lifestyles Resort in Puerto Plata. It was difficult to get to but worth it. The Tropical Beach was very clean but noise can be a distraction in the corridors which are open at both ends. Other locations on the property have better accommodations but are options for members and their guests or those who are willing to pay extra. The grounds are well maintained and all of the staff are super friendly and aim to please your every need. Most of the staff speaks English and the activities staff is outstanding. I specifically want to mention Barbie, Puty Tan, Caramelo, Caramelo, Choco Choco, John Cena, Lenny Cravitz, and Jhony Bravo. They are terrific in providing activities around the pool area. George, who works at the pool Towel Counter, is also super and the music he plays is great. The beach is only average but the cabanas make up for it. And there is no problem with local vendors trying to sell you something on the beach. We were given four optional restaurants to try for dinner when we checked in via RCI Guest Services. That feature was a pleasant experience. We did not try to switch dates or exchange restaurants, so everything worked out fine. the buffet was good. It reminds me of the type of food you typically get at the buffet on cruise ships. There is a show every night and they are all very good. We didn't miss any of them except one which was rained out.

Room Tip: Rooms in Building 5 are very close to the main pool and even closer to the adults only pool.
Roosevelt, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was such a special experience. This was the first time my siblings and I vacationed together outside the country. Though we encountered several difficulties and disappointments with the Lifestyles reservations and that process, Tropical Beach Resort & Spa and their staff managed to salvage the occasion. The rooms were great.The staff was friendly and all seemed to enjoy their perspective jobs. Guests were kept engaged with the entertainment around the pool. 'Johnny Bravo' and 'Lenny Kravatz' were so energetic and entertaining; they made you want to be involved in the activities. This whole group made for a fun time, and they seemed to remember everybody's 'name', personalizing it all. It was great to have your choce of meals and meal times almost around the clock. The food was exceptional. Unfortunately, the after midnight "snacks" at the Blue Lagoon left a lot to be desired. All in all, we'll be back and bring friends..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family