“Small, quiet, personal, comfortable condo near the beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Villas Jazmin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Plata
Club Villas Jazmin
You added Club Villas Jazmin to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Villa   |   P.O. Box 628 | Cristobal Colon-Costambar, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Small, quiet, personal, comfortable condo near the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Jazmin is a set of 1-story "villas"/condos located in the gated small community of Costambar. Most people get here by trading in through RCI; we booked through Armed Forces Vacation Club. They offer excursions, including visits to their organic farming operation. They offer an optional dinner/breakfast meal plan (about $40 per day at New Year's time) that includes some meal/show visits to the nearby huge Lifestyle Vacation Club. We were first shepherded to a Welcome Breakfast that turned out to be a lovely buffet at Lifestyle, and then the sales spiel, which felt coerced, because we hadn't been told the agenda of that meal location change. Lifestyle is HUGE and a different way to manage vacation time than regular timeshare, so that talk was interesting.. and the NEW YEAR's party there, as our dinner plan from Jazmin for that night, was the most amazing spectacle we've ever attended, with a HUGE buffet and various bands and awesome fireworks. But... it was great to come home to our quiet little resort. The food was delicious and served by staff we came to know well throughout the week. The beach is 2 blocks walk away, and very shallow for a great distance out. We came New Year's week, and the weather was in the 70's-80's, and the sea water was comfortable to swim in. Housekeeping was very thorough, daily. Our newly remodelled 2 BR unit had a living room, dining room, 2 bathrooms, and a full kitchen. Giles, the owner, has recently moved toward a more green operation, with wonderful small A/C units in each room, and a battery back-up system that provide lights, fans, and in-room wi-fi when the power goes out, which it does in the DR several times a day for hours at a time. Plan for a beachy look, with extremely limited blowdryer/curling iron options. People in the DR are friendly and helpful. Do follow the Jazmin website's strong suggestion to use taxis rather than risk your life with a rental car. Taxes on purchases are high (seem to be 6-18-26%) but you can save by using cash, and changing dollars for pesos at the Jazmin at a better rate than the airport. Consider calling Giles for any updates before you book/travel. We have very much enjoyed our weeklong stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodelled villa, or a unit in the "castillo" across the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DirectionJazmin, Owner at Club Villas Jazmin, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. You described perfectly what and who we are. We hope to see you and your family in a near future. Blessings, Gilles Durand

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
rosaritobeach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Amazing place in fabulous neighborhood !! Club Villas Jazmin is inside a gated/ guarded neighborhood named Costambar. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. As I had heard so many horror stories about the D.R.'s crime rate.

The guards look at each car as they came in. And their truck patrolled the streets in intervals. As is the case these days, my husband needed to work for part of the time, via internet. so it was great for me because I could walk around the area. and i was not tied to staying on a resort property.

Costambar has its own private beach, which winds and has trees on the sand for shade. I walked it almost everyday. There was a little market, which had everything we needed. Amazing bread, all of the staples and snacks we needed. There were about 10 restaurants in Costambar, plus several beach food stands.

The resort itself was 12 individual villas. 7, 2b and 5, 1b. I nice, clean little pool. We felt really safe inside Costambar and inside the complex property. There is a small bar and dining area. We were there during the 'off season' so they had service to order if we requested it. They were more than willing to help us in any capacity that we requested. We preferred not the sign up for a meal plan. And they were OK with that.

We preferred to cook some meals and eat out. There was an amazing pizza/ italian place named SoloMio. We normally try to eat local cuisine, but the family that owns the place are from Italy. so all of the pasta is freshly made on site. Oh dear, I am ready to fly down there to eat more of that gnocci.

The unit was very comfortable. I would say, lovely. We had a two bedroom with two bathrooms. Each room had a double bed. which mad it so that we ended up sleeping in different rooms. The rooms were large enough for queen. it would have been nice if they had two twins in one room. Or a larger bed in one of the rooms.

The living room and both bedrooms, each had its own flat screen TV, satlite set up, and DVD. Each room had an A/C unit. We were there in the hot season, and it sometimes took some time after we got back to get things cool and comfortable. you had to be in the unit in order for the system to run. We always slept cool.

The room i stayed in had a jacuzzi tub. It worked great. There was some trouble with the drain mechanism, but not a big deal. I got the hang of it.

Regularly, the power would go off. Like a blown fuse. They would get it back up quickly. Sometimes it would be a hassle because whatever you were in the middle of, would have to be restarted. It simply is what it is.

We loved Villas Jazmin. It is not a 5 star resort. They do not present themselves as such. We preferred to have 2 bedrooms and a kitchen than to go to a resort and have only a hotel room. For that, we traded some of the luxuries of staying at a larger resort.

I wanted to be with Domincans and experience their culture. I hardly saw other North Americans, and i was fine with that.

Nextdoor, there is a little strip mall with an ice cream shop and a book trade shop. really cool. you can barrow any books.

They do not fully cater to the USA crowd. They run on a lean budget. After we arrived, we went to the little market and got paper towels and some of the other things that we need and use. You might plan on spending $20 on buying some supplies, like soft soap, etc....

We decided to cook certain items, based on the pots and utensils that were in the kitchen.

There were plenty of towels, soup, and toilet paper. A few things that were not as you might find in a US condo. the wifi is centralized in the bar area. Villas 1 and 11 are adjacent to the bar, so the wifi worked fine inside the Villa. We were in unit 11, but i spoke to the people in unit 1.

They have tried so hard to make it beautiful and to accommodate .... and to please.

I think the criticisms in the other reviews have been harsh. (to the point where i was concerned before i left, and almost forfeited the reservation. so when i got there and was thre for a day, and realized i loved the place, i was doubly pleased.)

It is my opinion, that if you want 5 star, please go to a five star. And pay for a 5 star. Do not stay here and torture the staff. and complain constantly. And be the Ugly American.

We loved Villas Jazmin. And would stay there again, and hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villas #1 and #11 are adjacent to the bar. wifi service comes from the bar. so you can h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Club Villas Jazmin, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the very nice and detailed comments you left. You describe perfectly what is Club Villas Jazmin. I am sorry that I did not have time to sit with you and explain all the benefits of our vacation club. We do not sell time-share nor any membership but we do sell trading power to be use with RCI and an unbeatable price and I am convinced you would have love our plan. I hope to have the pleasure and honour to serve you and your family in a near future and make sure we get along together to present you this exciting and unique program.

Gilles
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We were at this resort last week and everything was fine for us we had a nice villas and the maid did all the cleaning every day. We slept and eat well. We went to that presentation at lifestyle but as a member of RCI sine the 80's it wasn't the first one and we said; no thank you. Me and my wife traveled around the world and in Spain they knocked on our door every morning for a timeshare presentation. We couldn't play tennis because we were not members of their club. In Vegas we got called each day for timeshare presentation. But at Club Villas Jazmin we could play tennis everyday without any charge. The beach was near and the resort did all they could do to please us. We will be back because it was relaxing and stress free.

Room Tip: the remodeled one are awesome
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I also am a member of Villas Jazmin since the 80's. Go there every year and enjoy it. Like to stay in different unit either regular or remodeled ones. Staff is always to my expectancy. Nothing is perferct and when anything go wrong, the owner (founder of the club) rush his staff to fix the problem.
Remerber that Villas Jazmin is a timeshare vacation club and work exclusively with its membership and RCI members. So you may expect to be approached to find out about their vacation program. Since many years, Villas Jazmin works in joined venture with Lifestyle. I went to visit their installation and listen to their vacation program. In exchange for your time, they offer you a fantastic breakfeast and also an unforgettable evening all you can eat and drink plus live music, danse and firework without mentionning round trip transportation. I consider il well paid for my time!!!
I prefered Villas Jazmin vacation style. It is a small vacation property set up, just what I'm looking for. Service is ultra personalized and very rare in this days. Villas Jazmin runs only with generators to supply its electricity which guarantee quality in service as well as quality food. Dominican Republic is still considered as a 3th country and I do not wish to risk my health eating in the beach joints or other installation where I'm not sure of the food quality. Over the years, I have seen many tourists who forgot where they were and eating everywhere leave them spending days in their unit close to the bathroom!!!! This past march, I even saw a guest who needed doctor's assistance. He ate at the beach...
If you are looking for a big vacation resort with 5 pools and 10 restaurants, you should avoid that vacation property. However, if you are seeking a private and a quiet vacation spot, you just found it.
Congradulation to the staff, Jose, Victor, Eduardo and Jenny, the chef and mades including the maintenance team. I feel home every time I return.
Finaly, congradulation to the owmer Mr Durand!!! He lately bought a farm which he converted in an organic one and organizing tours. It is a must see.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I am surprised of the latest comments and this is why I decided to post. They do not deserve such treatment! Place is really cozy and attention to their guest is overwhelming. I am from Argentina and own my timeshare in my country in a big resort. This was the first time I exchanged in a small resort and felt sorry I did not tried it before. They make you feel part of their family and the most exciting experience was the visit at the owner's farm. Food was sooooooooo excellent and found it extremely cheap. For my business I have to travel often to the Dominican Republic and every time I have the chance to travel on the north coast of the island, I make a point to stay with them. They have become my best friends. Lifestyle vacation resort is not for me, too big. Thank you Jazmin for unforgetable vacation time!!!

Room Tip: Before making your reservation, get in touch with the property and ask which unit has been remodeled...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This is the worst place ever... The worst customer service... Really the worst...
We booked this place, when we got there the registration office was closed and no one was there to check us in... We spoke to a worker there and he told us that he works for the restaurant and there was nothing he could do and that the office was closed for the day. We were so upset... We were not able to check-in, stuck in the middle of nowhere and left scrambling to find another hotel. DO NOT GO HERE..... BOOK A REAL HOTEL- RESORT

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
DirectionJazmin, Owner at Club Villas Jazmin, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
I am very sorry for that confusion and understand perfectly your anger. Flying over from your country to find our reception office closed is no fun at all. We did not received your RCI confirmation of reservation and you were the only booked guest for that week of May 19th. I decide to give a small vacation to my staff (2 days) and was in shock when RCI contacted me to find out what happened with your reservation. Still today there is an investigation from RCI on why your reservation did not appeared on my RCI LINK system.

I am not sure if I can make it up with you and your family. But I am willing to offer you a free week stay with us should you come back in the area before August 25th of this year. We will stop our operation on September 1rst to continue our remodeling and back in our regular operation By end of November.

Again, I am very sorry and understand you perfectly. This is a first in 26 years of operation and it is one to many!!!
Eastman QC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

WOW do not go there with the internet pictures of this resort in mind unless you ask specifically for one of the renovated bungalows only, you will be very desappointed. We are members of this resort since the 80's,and we are very sorry we chose this destination for our 3 weeks holiday this year.The resort by not serving breakfast on Sunday morning pushes you into the arms of Lifestyle International, their reps are there with Villa Jazmin's permission since the reps operate from inside the Villa Jazmin's premises. We were given one of the Castillos unit and the traffic noise kept us awake nights, the a/c and hot water are none existent and although it is not an all inclusive resort they do push the idea very hard. You can find a few good feeding wholes around Costambar it is worth walkiing around to find them. The beach area has lost a lot of lustre.

Room Tip: If you still want to go make sure you ask for a place in the renovated bungalows only, or I can assu...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Villas Jazmin? Share your experiences!