My husband and I spent a week here in Feb 2012. It was my 2nd time in DR and my husbands first. I had previously been to a 3 star in the late 90's. This was a huge upgrade! The grounds were beautiful! The staff was friendly and funny. We LOVED to buffet! We are not picky eaters and love trying new things and we were always so full after each meal, we probably each gained 5 lbs. We did the alas cart restaurants and they were good but we really appreciated to huge selection at the buffet. The shows were fun and my husband even participated one night doing a "sexy dance" onstage with 100 other men to get their shirts back...it was very funny.
The beach is a bit rocky and was a little rough but we went kayaking and had a blast. I loved the trees on the beach because I prefer shade when I read of I get headaches.
I am happy just laying on the beach but hubby likes adventure so he played darts, horseshoes, volleyball, and other games with other guests. We also took a couple excursions. I highly recommend Paradise Island if you like to snorkel. Beautiful clear water and lots of pretty fish. It was amazing! We also did a catamaran but it was a rough day and we had the option to back out and get a refund but we went anyway..ended up seasick (half the boat was). It would have been great if it was a nicer day.
The room was fine, it was a king but actually just 2 twins pushed together, but we didn't mind. We were only there to sleep anyway. We had hot water to shower and in-room bar which we didn't use because we just got our drinks from the bars around the resort.
We did the disco one night but you have to pay for drinks there and it wasn't really our thing....
I loved the privacy on the beach, no vendors there to hassle you.
The scenery was gorgeous and we enjoyed just walking the paths around the resort.
Overall it was an amazing trip and I would recommend it. I would be back in a heartbeat but we wanted to try a different destination next time.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Otel, EasyToBook, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.