“Riu Bachata - January 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bachata

You added ClubHotel Riu Bachata to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada
“Riu Bachata - January 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We selected this resort on the recommendation of our travel agent, as it met the budget of our diversified group that included couples in their 30’s & 40’s and two couples brought their children ranging from ages 10 – 14. We were originally looking at Punta Cana, but locations there were $300 - $400 more per couple.

We traveled with Signature/Sunwing Vacations who are top notch I my opinion. We were greeted with a personal shuttle to the resort and back to the airport on get away day as well, which was a nice touch. Folks will want to take your luggage for you (at the airport and the resort). You can just tell them no. They are looking for a tip and should be given one if you let them.

Check-in was pretty smooth. No complaints there. We arrived well before any of our rooms were scheduled to be ready, but most were. Our room was not equipped with towels when we arrived but our request was fulfilled quickly. Room was clean but maybe the slight musty smell that seems typical of tropical climes. It’s gotta be tough to keep a 100% handle on that with the humid weather and all of the wet clothes/towels constantly on the floors, beds etc. We were in the 200 building and had the basic room.

A converter was generally not required for the outlets but it is true that some plug sizes may not fit because of the way the receptacles recess.

Grounds are beautiful and well laid out. Surrounding views are spectacular.

As for bugs, some of us got bites on our legs from those “no-see-ums” and one of the fellas got some skeeter bites the day before we left. I personally didn’t notice a mosquito problem, but it was quite breezy most of our stay. Bus spray does not take up much room, so may as well pack it.

Food was good. I found a good number of choices available to me. The only repetition for me was that I found some thing I was more comfortable with and did tend to stick with it. I will concur with most others that the wine was pretty much swill. My wife ended up buying a couple bottles later in the week to have and share at dinner. Maybe bring a couple bottles down if weight allowance permits.

We did the steak a-la-carte. Yes, you need to book it early the day of. We booked the Paradise Island excursion and had to be at the lobby early anyway, so we just booked it then. We had a group of 16 with no problem getting the reservation. I thought the steak was good for what I anticipated. It’s the DR folks not Ruth’s Criss Steak House.

Dinks were fine (our group tends to wind it up one or two days  ). Seems some were stronger/weaker than others depending on the time of day & who made them. If you don’t like the drink pour it out and get another one, or even try something different 

Pool was a bit tight. They advertise multiple pools but they are all right in the same area. The chairs do get reserved early. We generally were able to find something. There was always something to sit on but maybe not in a “prime” location that some really wanted.

There are a LOT of trees on the beach but there are lots of spots where the sun comes through. Heaven forbid if you need to shift your chair once in awhile. There is more open beach (for sunning) down farther (Rui Meringue). It’s not that far a stroll.

For swimming, yes there is a lot or rock/coral and some weeds beyond that. If you bring a pair of water shoes you will be fine. Weeds give me the willies and I was fine after I donned the shoes. The north coast of the DR generally does not have the white sand beaches and we knew that going in. This is why the water is not crystal clear. Swimming was red flag conditions the whole time we were there. You can still swim but there is a rip tide effect. Just use common sense and don’t stray too far.

I will never complain about the entertainment. These are some of the same folk that serve your drinks and offer games during the day. Take it all in stride people. It is what it is.

People are complaining about “conditions” at the swim up bar. By that I obviously mean people peeing in the pool. Anyone who thinks that this does not happen at EVERY swim up bar is naïve. Not condoning, but offering a reality check. Probably goes on everywhere in the pools at every resort. Put it out of your mind and shower at the end of the day!

We had no problems with sales people on the beach. Most just showed a picture of what they were selling and moved on if you did not acknowledge them.

Yes, many of the vendors in the little strip of stores between the resorts are pushy. It seemed though that the keepers of the shops closer to the beach were much less so.

We saw none of the problems with “locals on the weekends”. Maybe that was because the resort was full otherwise. I didn’t expect to care anyway as a Dominican has as much right to vacation there as I do. Anyone there has the ability to be rude or obnoxious, not just a “local”.

I would definitely go here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Polish first
lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

we returned from this hotel last week leaving let down to say the least, we stayed here two years ago and how things have changed is very sad . The rooms were damp and had the smell to go with it, there were no sunbeds available round the pool as people were paying the staff to reserve them from as early as 3 am the food was good but the restaurants were very poor , hardly speciality restaurants . Feel quite sad as i have had lots of great experiences at this resort but not this holiday five stars for this hotel now is ridiculous .

Room Tip: seems if you complain they will upgrade you which we didnt like to do .
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just got back from Bachata (Jan.6-13). It was not one of our better holidays, but we can't blame the resort for that. We had some issues that made our flight unpleasant, then it rained on and off, but every day. There were also some issues with some of the other guest (selfish, rude, intolerant), but these have no bearing on the quality of the resort.

First of all we have stayed a two other Rius and I find their attention to customer service amazing, and we are usually buying sell-offs at about $500 to $700. This resort is not, as many have said a 5 star. It is however still a very nice place.

Check-in was quick and easy.
Rooms were renovated, clean and nicely decorated.
Staff was outstanding. Everyone was so friendly and willing to help.
For a resort that caters to so many ethnic groups, especially European, Communicating with staff was always very easy. Someone complained to me that more of them should learn English, well I experienced no problems.
Mini-bar was stocked every 2 days as promised. There were only 2 beer and a couple of pop and water, but what do people want. Everything is free and readily available elsewhere on the resort. One reviewer complained that they only put 2 bottles of water in his fridge. Duh! Water was available at each bar and buffet.
The resort itself is beautiful, and spotlessly clean.
Food is plentiful and somewhat repetitive, as it is in most resorts. The reason it's repetitive is because they try to have something to satisfy all tastes: Beef, Chicken, Pork, Fish, Pasta, salads, Soups, Fries, Pizza. You may be a fussy eater, but you won't go hungry.

Some negatives:
Coming from Canada where smoking in any public place has been eradicated, I found far too may people puffing away, especially on cigars. Thank goodness they don't allow it in the dining rooms.
Only 2 A la Cartes and difficult to get reservations. We managed to get into the Italian and found it mediocre. We didn't bother to try the steakhouse because we heard it was worse than the Italian.
Mosquitoes were a bit of an issue. Many people had legs covered in bites, but that could have been sand fleas. However, when dining in the Italian rest. there were swarms of mosquitoes forming halos over peoples heads. May complained of this.
We forgot to pack our bug spray and the little shop in the lobby charged us $17 for a small can of Off.
Another reviewer complained of the wedding facilities. We didn't get married, nor will we ever need that service (45 years and counting), but we did see a couple of weddings and the beach where they are conducted is a nice beach for swimming or relaxing, but a terrible location for a wedding, based on what we saw. If you plan on going somewhere to get married, do your research.
The entertainment is sub-par, considering it's supposed to be a 5 star, but not much of an issue here, since we don't stay up late most nights. However when you are there, they try to communicate with guests in so many languages you never know what they are saying.

In Canada, at least, the Dominican has the highest taxes, plus there is the $10 entry tax and the $20 departure tax.All in all a nice resort in the 31/2 to 4 start range. Good deal if you get a sell-off, wouldn't pay their regular price, and personally I prefer the Mayan area of Mexico.

Wherever you go do your research and remember that you are going to place where the standard of living is different from your home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have read a lot of the reviews for this hotel and feel the need to put to bed the ridiculous comments about dirty towels, unhelpful staff etc.. This was by far the best holiday i have ever been on. The staff couldn't do enough to help, nothing was too much trouble. Entertainment was round the clock and if you didn't want to get involved in the games then there was a quieter area of the pool to lay by. The place was immaculate, i have never seen so many cleaners, gardeners, maids etc working around the clock to keep the place spotless. Food was good, lots of options to please all palettes. Drinks were replenished in the hotel room every other day however if you ran out early then all you had to do was ask the maid and they always gave us more. The beach is quite rocky but the sea is wonderful and the beach was amazing. The comments about the sunbeds are right.. people do get up early and reserve beds however there was always enough for everybody.. just some people got a better spot than others. Someone did complain about someone reserving a bed very early and not using it and that particular person was asked to move their towel.
I could go on and on about how great this hotel and holiday were but i think i have made my point.. i think a lot of the people complaining on here are simply the type of people that will always find something wrong somewhere... 10 out of 10!!!!

Upstate, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm halfway through a ten-day vacay down here, and based on the extraordinary price and the mixed reviews, I went with very modest expectations, which have been FAR exceeded. Sure, I've had better meals in very nice restaurants at home and on trips; however, I've never had a problem finding tasty stuff to eat here. Have I been at better overall facilities? Yes, but I've paid about three to five times more for that privilege. Everything here is great, and it's an incredible value. If I can get a similar deal next year, I'll definitely come back.

One of the great things is that there are a lot of open air buildings just off the 1/2 mile beach that connects all three resorts. Thus, there's always someplace for you to go if you want to get out of the sun, grab a drink, or take a break for a bit. However, it's worth noting that there is a large number of smokers, and since these structures (bars, restaurants, entertainment venues) are open-air, people tend to smoke everywhere. It's pretty dramatic. It's more than a little bothersome to me (I'm travelling solo this time), and that reason alone might discourage me from bringing my young kids next time.

Finally, for some context, I'll note that this is my first all-inclusive vacation. I've gone lots of places, but never to an all-inclusive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Well taken care resort, not perfect, but none ever is. Over all we had a great time and part of it was that we traveled with a good friends. Location was beautiful –hills on the background and lushes greenery around. Very nice, large and clean pool. Lots of places around the pool and on the beach to hide from the hot sun. Drink and snacks delivered to your chair-nice touch! Our room was nice-fresh and updated with some sea view (a bonus). No problem with musty smell, bugs and clean to perfection (trust me I know-we are innkeepers ourselves). Plenty of hot water for shower (narrow shower – we are not big people) and well stocked mini bar. Never tried the restaurants-we are vegan and it is much easier to find something on the buffet than explain to the waiter what we do or not do eat. Buffet restaurant was fine, clean and well stocked. Servers were attentive most of the time and polite. Food- better than cafeteria, not fine dining- not expected one. Good variety, somewhat repetitive-none of us (we were a party of 4) was ever hungry. Red wine was horrible! Lobby was nice, with some sitting areas-free (slow) wifi -1 hour max a day/once per day. Found the drinks rather “thin” – especially at the pool bar. Mojitos were good while they lasted – 3 first days and then no fresh mint. Entertainment by regular crew-horrible, please send them for some training. In general whole entertainment stuff was well below expectation –full of fart jokes, sexual stereotypes and just plain boring. Grounds are well groomed daily by pleasant gardeners. Whole resort (with adjacent 2 others- Bachata is the newest and best of) nicely laid out for walks. Stay away from the strip of souvenirs stores – with exception of 1-2, all are “in your face” trying to sale-same with daily trip people-way to aggressive. We had relaxing massage on the beach – very nice, well priced. Will we go back?– no, but we never go to the same resort twice. We had a good time and for the amount we spent it was a good value. Use common sense- if you do not pay $3000 per person per week – it is not real 5 star resort with fine dining- you get what you pay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My new husband and I spend 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year 2012. What a wonderful holiday/ honeymoon we had. I had emailed the hotel requesting an upstairs room and also mentioned it was also our honeymoon so wanted it to be perfect as possible. On arrival we went to our room 434 which was very well placed in the resort and and spotlessly clean. Also we were welcomed to the entrance with beautiful swans made from napkins and flowers. This continued right up to our floor. Inside the room there was a touching honeymoon gift for us. What a lovely arrival. This set the scene for the rest of the 2 weeks. The staff are so dedicated and cannot do enough for you. All the areas are kept spotlessly clean and very organised. Both Gala Dinners for Christmas and New Year were outstanding. We found the food in general very good and always something there we wanted to eat. The staff spent all day on Christmas and New Year Eve's decorating the public areas and restaurant. Both were beautiful 10 out of 10 for all the efforts put into this. We found it very relaxed and laid back and enjoyed the option of visiting the other hotels within the resort. We also appreciated the fact that Friedrich Stieb, Manager Guest Services, took the time to come round the public areas most days and spoke to the guests to check all was okay. He was very interested in what you had to say. The only downside was the free Internet in the lobby was pretty hopeless a lot of the time but then again it is a third world country so I suppose it's got to be expected. There was a bit of a problem getting a sun lounger round the pool as people were reserving them and by 7.45am they were all taken. I complained to our rep about this and she assured me that management had been made aware of this and were taking steps to control this. Apart from his we had an absolute wonderful holiday/honeymoon and will definitely go back. Can't wait!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!