To start, we went to this resort for a wedding with 16 people of all ages. It is most definately, not a 5 star. At best, a 2.5 start. I am majorly disappointed that RIU would let this hotel bear their name. None of the 3 RIU's on this strip are and don't be fooled. All of the guests, including the couple getting married were so disappointed. I can't believe her travel agent planned her wedding here...
Beach - rocky, bring water shoes. You can't get in to the water without walking on rocks, in fact, for an ocean lover like myself, I barely ever went in b/c it was so difficult. Water - lovely but rocks until far out but by then, you've given up to get to the sandy areas.
Rooms - Oh where to start...The water bottles were unsealed, refurbished and refilled, with water from where, who knows. They also were not replenished. Rooms were moldy and the bedding was disgusting, old, dated, dirty and the sheets, covers, everything smelled moldy. Our towels - were replaced possibly 3 X while we were there. I called front desk numerous times for face cloths - once at the start of the vacation I received 1 - but it was removed on day 3 and never again did the front desk a) answer my calls or b) follow through with stocking my room. The couch in our suite was visably stained, all over, disgusting. There are no coffee machines in the rooms. In fact, there is only coffee at the front buffet in the mornings. So, unless you have someone who likes to get dressed and walk 2 km to grab coffee so you can enjoy a coffee on your balcony - forget it, you ain't getting any. There is NO iron in the rooms. It costs you $20 (at the front desk - you have to carry it even if you are the BRIDE) to your room and you can have it for 24 hours, then, it must be returned. Our room wasn't cleaned until close to 5 every day. Combine that with wet, dirty towels from mornings shower, it's not fun. Everyone in the party we spoke to - everyone of us - had one lamp that didn`t work.
Staff - Unsmiling, unhappy, unfriendly. Groundsman - we watched them dig and clean the sand with dustpans. They have very little tools and come infrequently. The cups and butts from the day before - not cleaned up. The chairs - not cleaned, wiped down, dried. Covered in webs, sand and other peoples spills. We had close to a carton of cigarettes stolen from our room and any money that was left out was pocketed. We quickly got smart about that. They staff act put off by your presence or any questions you ask of them. They refused to make us drinks at night that had limes in them because they didn't have any more cut up! They wouldn't go to another bar and get them either. The manager in the bar closest to the casino is a royal B. She was the most miserable cow, I've met in a long time.
Shows - bad, clumsy, ripped, old costumes. Poorly choreographed.
No beach restaurant, no nachos, no food after 12 in the bar closest to the rooms (including coffee, tea, water). You don't realize how precious coffee and water are until you can't get them within a 2km radius!
Food - don't even get me started! Its a rice, fries and runny soup on ricey beans kinda place. BTW - lunch is whats left over from dinner the night before. Beware.
Also, all the drunk bafoons from the other resorts enjoy this one too and vice cersa. If you want to party with 20 somethings or teenagers from NY - this is your place! Canadian 30+ woman, families and men, looking to relax - its a no no.
Don't do it. I will NEVER return and I'm planning a trip to the Carribean on the 25th of January and I'm counting out all RIU's after this trip. I am so disappointed with RIU and Lakeview Travel in Niagara Falls for booking this.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Otel, Priceline, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.