“Good Low Budget Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Bachata to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Hickman, CA
“Good Low Budget Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to the RIU Bachata in the Dominican Republic with a large group of friends. Tho the resort was not up to our standards (rooms smelled of mildew, not many food choices-mainly buffet, overly aggressive vendors, hard beds, etc...) this was a good choice for my budget minded friends. It was affordable for everyone and the Animation group really got everyone involved in the good times. We will not be staying here again. But, we are glad we were able to share the experience with our friends. The bar staff was very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: We were in and ocean view mini suite, #201- couldn't see the ocean well. If you want ocean, try...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
Blackburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We recently returned from a 2 week stay at the Riu Bachata, 18th nov to 2nd dec, all I can say is what a holiday! We booked it through Thomson a few weeks prior & we were definitely not disappointed. We arrived at reception, wristbanded & give an envelope with keys, cards etc all self explanatory & we where asked to label our cases & the porters followed with them in due course. We went to our room which was in block 800, which was very convenient & close to everything. The room was immaculate & the bed was fabulous, within 15 mins our cases arrived. The time we were there our room was always immaculate, fully stocked & leaving a dollar in the fridge works wonders! The cocktails tasted fab & it's decent alcohol. The only thing is the wine tastes like vinegar, but the reds ok. The food was good, salads & fresh fruit tasted great. We book in at both the steak house & itallian, the steak house does the most amazing fillet migneon, it was out of this world! Really do recommend! The itallian was lovely but limited choice.

The pool & grounds where fabulous as was the beach, it is a bit rocky going in so get some waterproof shoes but its lovely & warm, although some days the red flag was out because of the currents. All the staff where soooo lovely & polite, always smiling, I also speak a little Spanish from my school days which came in handy, the staff were so happy if you attempted to say a few words or phrases, it also helped when bartering. Often prices all start at $50 the most we ever paid was $12! But the staff cannot do enough for you, one night it was raining hard & we didn't have an umbrella the receptionist let us borrow her personal one, just asking us to return it before she went home.

We met people from all over, mainly Canadians & some Americans, who were lovely & had some great chats. There were a few Brits, but several Germans & I found them quite rude sometimes, they'd happily push you out the way if they wanted it! A few Dominicans came in a the weekends but I thought it was horrendous they way previous reviews wrote but the only time we realised they were there was a couple of kids playing in the pool.

The Animation team were great fun! We didn't really participate in the activities but it was a laugh watching them. Their fluent in several languages which really impressive, their always up for a laugh & often come round for a chat. There is a set programme that they follow daily so they come round recruiting, but only walking round shouting mini golf or water polo, they don't annoy you till you join in. The girl who did the kids club was fab, we didn't have kids there but I saw her at lunch in the dining room one day walking through & although she was having her lunch, she went round asking the kids would they like to come & sit with her for lunch, which was nice. She also did the dancing with the kids at the mini disco which was cute.

The night entertainment was cheesy, Dominican version of Blackpool, we only saw a few shows, but when we did it involved alcohol with friends that we met which probably helped. We tended to go for a wander at night & also went on a couple of trips. One thing I would recommend is the mozzy spray! They are like vultures! Don't bother with boots version repellant, you need jungle strength stuff, we bought some OFF! While we were there & this seemed to work & take antihistamines with you in case they get really bad, as the pharmacy there is a bit pricey, but they sell every drug going! My feet had swelled with the mozzy bits & she sold me frusimide which is prescription only in uk!

We went on a few trips while we where there, through Thomson, the reps trip was a great night & we had such a laugh & met some great people. We also did the paradise island, catamaran, jungle safari & bravissimo (Vegas show), paradise island was lovely & really recommend, the catamaran was nice, not too busy & the staff really look after you, but it was ok. The jungle safari was brilliant & the day we went it was raining buckets! But we had the best laugh ever! Our guide Manny was fabulous his knowledge outstanding & the trip was a bit expensive but we didn't mind paying as the money they make goes towards supporting 5 schools & some orphanages, if you plan on going on it you'll visit the school & a real Dominican home that the company pays the family so they can become financially better off, they do this for a year then they ask another family. The people & children in the communities are so lovely & they just want to talk to you. If you do go on this trip, then the schools always after English books for young children, sweets go down well as it encourages children to go to school. But it really makes you appreciate what you have. Afterwards you can go boogie boarding & have a back massage (free). If you don't go on the trips but do want to bring stuff to donate then I'm sure Vicki, Domingo or Jose the Thomson reps will gladly except them as they see the Safari lads often.

We also did a city tour with the hotel which was a taxi & a guide for $40 which we went to the rum factory, souvenir shops which you can miss out, hypermarket which is just like Asda, cathedral, the fort, the rich & poor areas the local beach, prison & orphanages & again a guide who knows everything. But you pick & choose your itinery we were out for 4 hrs! The guide was amazingly knowledgable & wanted us to ask questions!

The reps are really helpful & will gladly do their very best to help you have a great holiday, the hotel does have wireless which is only free 90 mins a day in the lobby, but is very hit & miss ESP when it's raining, unless you buy a package. The prices vary for the days but 10 days is $50 which I feel is a total rip off! I only pay £5 a month at home! This was a bit annoying as I needed to check my emails urgently one day, between walking to Merengue & Bachata I finally managed to read them. With the package you have wireless throughout the grounds, but I wouldn't pay it on principle, even a friend we met bought it & it was on go slow at times. I do hope the hotel looks at the prices & reconsiders as I felt I was being taken advantage of, you need to access emails, but being held to ransom to paying the fee!

I did a so called 5 star in Egypt & Portugal which you'd be lucky to put at a 3 star! (The staff are not lecherous for a start!), this hotel exceeds on every level, & deserves the Thomson Platinum level.

In the Caribbean street the shop keepers constantly ask you to go in & desperately want to sell you something but if you say straight "we're looking" then they let you, they tend to what to ask where your from etc. But just be prepared to barter, we had some great laughs & stand your ground! Lol! They'll eventually come to your way of thinking. At least they don't physically drag you into shops & prevent you from leaving like they do in Sharm el sheik.

Weather was a bit hit & miss sometimes but apparently the bad weather lasted a bit longer than usual, they say the best time is jan for the weather, but overall only a couple of days did it rain majorly but I still came back with a cracking tan as when the sun is out it definitely makes up for it.

Personally I can't believe people are complaining, I'm not sure what their problem is, we had a brilliant time & would highly recommend it to anyone. Sometimes there's just no pleasing some people! You'd be lucky to get a patch on this anywhere in Europe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Birstall,West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Arrived 18th Nov for 2 weeks after a long 9 1/2 hour flight. on 1st impression the hotel looks " ok " check in was swift and our suitcases were put in reception and later delivered to our room by the very insistant porter that couldnt let you take your own to your room...the cases were then left in the hall outside your room (if your not in and we wernt) but the porter then returned until you were in for his tip...We had emailed the hotel the week before and asked if we could have a sea or pool view room on the 2nd floor but once again they didnt oblige, and seeing as the hotel was only half full i think that is really poor customer service..anyway....the bits your after...
The hotel rooms were very good, the maids do an excellent job although the times they arrive varies from day to day but on the whole very good..there are optics in your room and soft drinks and beers in the fridge which is refilled every other day.
Food...A staple diet of chicken, fish and pork presented in various themes, plenty of veg and a great selection of salads, cheeses and puddings..cant fault the food although it did get rather boring after 2 weeks.

Pool area was nice although you did get pestered by the animation team constantly to play "games" and the spa girls for massages but they did eventually leave you alone.
The beach for me was one of the biggest let downs at this hotel, there are plenty of sun loungers on the beach but they are under trees which stretch to the shore so sunbathing was poolside only im afraid..One thing to note is that there are ants all around the pool and seating areas and many people were soon covered in bites on the legs feet and ankles, and at night the mosquitoes were out in force, so jungle strength repellent required.

Evening entertainment was mostly by the very tired, overworked animation team with the exception of a couple of nights when they brought in an "act".. One thing i should mention is that at this hotel the evening entertainment is mainly you the holidaymaker, on stage gyrating half naked with the bored animation team taking great delight in the "games" billed as entertainment.

Drinks..Well what can i say...in over 30 years of worldwide travel i have never ever experienced such a dreadful array of drinks... the wine in the restaurants was occasionally drinkable, but only occasionally...in the bars the wine was unbelievably vile !! There was virtually no taste difference in the brandy and rum and the vodka and gin...seriously..Riu should be ashamed of the utter garbage they are serving in the hotel bars..BTW all have the Royal Brand on the label..

Caribbean street is a small avenue at the side of the hotel, they sell the usual trinkets and holiday momentoes but with shops on both sides and their eager proprietors laying in wait it became an ordeal rather than a pleasure....dont these people realise they would sell more if they actually allowed you to look at the goods without hassle ?

I honestly think that Riu have lowered there standards and have cut back on the things that keep people returning to there hotels, but this will backfire...This is a nice comfortable hotel with happy friendly staff who cant do enough for you..but they need to realise some people come on holiday to relax and unwind not to be hassled to play games and be the evening entertainment and then be served dishwater for drinks..we have Benidorm if we want that.
But seriously..if you need any other specific info or even another recommendation please dont hesitate to get in touch..always happy to help the fellow traveller.

Room Tip: Strange question this one...If anyone knows a way to choose your own room please get in touch, i wou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Riu Bachata…November 14 to 21, 2012
Ruth (mra1) & Dave, Belleville Ontario

We had the chance to take an extra vacation to the D.R. this year & decided to return to the Riu Bachata in Puerta Plata. The price for one week fit the budget & the dates fit the work schedule. Although our trip was booked through Signature Vacations, we were to fly Sunwing Airlines…not one of our favourites. But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised & very impressed with the flight, service & all-round attitude.

Flight/Airport Arrival: Departure time was scheduled for 6:20am on Wednesday November 14, as stated, flying Sunwing from Toronto. We had a very quick check-in at the Airport, my husband flying Elite Plus & myself and our friend flying Economy. Elite Plus seating is Row 1, seats ABC, & Rows 2,3,4 & 5 seats DEF. Hubby had Row 3D on the outbound flight, with plenty of leg-room & our friend and myself found that we had ample leg room in Row 5BC. It was on the return flight when she & I sat in Row 6DE, that “the sardine can effect’ came into being & we were quite cramped for leg room. Departure was on time as we taxied into position at 6:30am with take off at 6:40am.
11:30am we touched down at Puerto Plata Airport & a few minutes later we were off the plane & heading to Immigration. We 3 were the first through the “new” Tourist Card line, as we had purchased our TC on-line prior to our departure and then on to the luggage carousel to retrieve our belongings. In a matter of a few minutes our luggage was in our hands & we were out to find our transfer and on our way to the Bachata

Resort Arrival: I still say that the Riu Hotels have one of the best check-in systems going. We arrive at 1:00pm & everything that we need is waiting for us. After a word of welcome from the Front Desk Manager, the contents of our envelope (2 towel cards, map of the resort, Guest Registration Form, Room Key, Safe Key & tumbler) was explained and we were invited to fill in the Guest Registration Form at our convenience and return it to the Front Desk before the end of the day. Our luggage was tagged & we were directed to our room. 7 days prior to our arrival I had emailed the resort /General Manager Friedrich (Freddy) Stieb, with a room request for ourselves & our friend. ….a room with Kingsize bed, comfortable mattress & close to amenities. Our rooms did not disappoint…Building 10, Rms 1004 & 1006. A nice garden view from our patio.

Rooms: Since our last visit to Riu Bachata in January 2011, the whole resort has had a refurbish. Everything was cleaner with a fresh coat of paint, tiling & flooring repaired where needed and a new colour scheme in the rooms. What a lovely surprise to have crisp white bed linens with a Royal Blue “scarf” across the bottom & 2 Royal Blue décor pillows greet you as you walk in the room. The drapes on the window/patio door was also the new Royal Blue colour & this made the room very regal. Each side of the bed had a bedside table with 2 drawers & a bedside lamp attached to the wall. A wooden credenza with 6 drawers held a new flat screen television and mirror. A seating area of table & 2 chairs were at the far end of the room, close to the patio door. The entry way held a closet with hangers & rack space, with an alcove for the mini-bar and the Liquor Optics. The safe is located in the closet at floor level & if someone has mobility problems, then this could be an issue for them. The bathroom had been refurbished & we had no complaints. Our only complaint, which we did not discuss with Reception, was the hard mattress & the quality of the pillows. Since we were aware of the quality of the pillows from a previous visit, DH brought his own. I think that this should be something that the owners/management should look into. We did request an additional key for our room & that cost us a deposit of $10, which was returned to us when we checked out.
Our maid did an excellent job of keeping our room clean & always surprised us with some unique towel creations. We tipped her daily, leaving the tip on the bed pillow. The mini-bar was restocked every other day…we would leave a note & tip for the “water guy” with our request and had no problems getting what we needed.

Food: The food at the Riu’s is very enjoyable…In the 7 days that we were there, I don’t think we had a bad meal at all. Breakfasts for my husband was the highlight of the day, while for me I looked forward to the homemade soups and bread at the evening meal…& of course I can not forget the Rice Pudding…oh my gosh, but it is better than what I make !! Our evening meals were excellent with “themed nights” taking place at least 4 out of 7 nights. We found that the dessert bar did not cater very well to those vacationers who were diabetic. Upon leaving a message one evening for the GM, Freddy located us the next morning and said that he would look into our request. And true to his word, he did !! Although diabetic desserts were not added to the dessert bar, the Food Manager & Sub-Chef made sure that a diabetic dessert was prepared for my husband for the 4 remaining nights that we were in attendance. Now, that is what I call Service…with a capital S !!!.

Main Buffet & a la carte Restaurants: Being “off shoulder season” the resort was not at full capacity. The staff did a remarkable job keeping everything stocked & clean. Elvin was our very attentive waiter for the 7days of vacation. He would watch for us each night & have a table ready with water & wine before we even had a chance to sit down !
Steak House a la carte: located in the Maracuya Restaurant, which is to the left of the Pool bar when facing the ocean. We ate here on a Sunday evening & it wasn’t busy at all for the 6:30pm sitting. The Filet Mignon with vegetables was very good…cooked to our specifications. Our friend had the Lamb Chops with vegetables & she was disappointed, as they were over cooked & quite dry. We would fore-go dessert here, for a “diabetic creation” that was waiting for us in the main Buffet.
Italian a la carte: located in an area off the outside patio of the main Buffet Restaurant has a welcoming décor. A varied array of appetizers & antipastos greeted us after we had placed our order for the Entrée. The Rose’ wine that we had during the week was one of the best & it went perfectly with our ‘Grilled salmon on a bed of spinach’ & the ‘Eggplant stuff Chicken Breast’

The Bars: There are 2 bars open during the day: the Bikini Bar (10:00 to 12midnight) located in the Courtyard just off the main Lobby & the Los Lirios bar located at the pool from 10am to 6:00pm. The Caramba Bar is located to the left of the Theatre just outside the doors to the Casino…hours of operation is 6pm to 7am.

Lobby/Reception Area: This is a huge area with lots of couches and chairs or bistro type table & chairs for seating. It’s the hub of activity where excited vacationers wait for their room packets or others drag their heels as they get ready to leave for home. The Tour Operators have their desks here in the Lobby, with all the information that you need to know about your flights and excursions. Also in the Lobby is the store, which has everything from aspirin to alcohol and if you still can not find what you need, then the shops in Caribbean Street are just a short 2 minute walk. There is no Internet Café located in the Lobby, but a lap-top computer is available at the Reception Desk for short usage. I had been told at our Orientation Meeting that there was an Internet Café available on Caribbean Street, but I wasn’t able to locate it during my walks. As I had my own NetBook with me I wasn’t in a panic. Free WiFi is available in the front Lobby and during our stay at the Bachata WiFi towers & routers were being installed around the complex. By December, WiFi connection would be available in the rooms for a fee. For those who like to read or are like us & don’t want to take their books back home, a book exchange is located in the same area as the Tour Operators. Also off the Lobby is the public washrooms, which are spotless & attached to the washrooms are shower/change rooms. These are an excellent bonus especially if you can not get a “late room checkout”…just bring your luggage down to the secure luggage room, enjoy the beach/pool for the rest of the day & then shower and change in time for your return flight home.

Beach/Pool/Gardens: As I mentioned previously, our stay was during “shoulder/off season”. There were plenty of loungers available at the beach and around the pool so the “towel game” was not as prevalent here as at other resorts….although the palapas were taken up rather quickly. The gardens & lawns were well groomed, palm trees well maintained and maintenance on walkways & public areas was top-notch.

Staff/Management: The staff is one of THE best that we’ve come across in the 12 trips that we’ve made to the D.R. Everyone is friendly, personable and wanting desperately to assist and please you. Smiles were abundant especially when you made the effort to speak to the staff in their language. These employees love their job….and why not, they have wonderful Management Staff behind them. Friedrich (Freddie) Stieb, Customer Service Manager is a very visible person on this resort. I think his shoes had faster roller skates hidden in them this year, as he was everywhere…And as always, nothing escaped his attention! A very well run resort…thank you Freddie.

We enjoyed our week’s stay at the Riu Bachata. The weather was perfect, although that was not the case prior to our arrival. When it did rain, it was in the evening or later at night. This trip was fun for us, as we were able to “see” our favourite destination through the eyes of our friend, a ‘first time traveler’. What an experience…for the 3 of us.

Would we return again? Absolutely !!

Burton upon Trent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked this trip through the Thomson Platinum Brochure, under the advice of the Co-Operative travel agency. To say we were robbed is and understatement. The rooms are well appointed with air con, but the lack of basic food hygene standards and general 'blandness' of the food really lets it down. The front desk staff are not helpful at all and in fact became rude when we asked for assistance. The roaming manager 'Frederick' promises everything but delivers nothing. The wine for 2 weeks was either like vinegar or simply cloudy and 'off'. I became ill part way through the holiday, as did other couples that we met. The beds provided are not adequate for a family of 2 adults and 2 children, and we never got a decent nights sleep, i even slept on a blow up bed for a couple of nights. The wi-fi access is 'patchy' if you can get on to it, and they have now started charging 10 USD a day for it!!!! The beach is one of the worst beaches we have been on in the carribean, with broken corel lining the floor, seaweed floating around and even excrement. The pool staff forced our son out of the pool at 5:45pm even though it states that the pool is open until 7:00pm. The so called snack bar never opened, and when we asked why, we were told by the manager that the snack bar does not open if the hotel is at less than 50% occupancy. The pool bar closes at 6:00pm sharp leaving a lot of people sat around the pool with no drinks. The kids club is open from 10am - 12noon & 3pm - 5pm, however the club is not very well managed and the girls running it just sit in the hut all day on their phones. The evening entertainment is a joke, with a really poor standard of entertainment and not suitable for children, with the entertainment team gyrating at every possible opportunity. The so-called animation team were really not interested and also spent a lot of time on their phones, and telling you all their problems, like they have lost money, or phones etc etc. The speciality restaurants, if you could call them that were ok, however in order to get a table, you need to be in the main restaurant at 07:00hrs to book. Also only 1 restaurant is open per night, italian 1 night, and then steakhouse the next!! The food in general was bland, repetative and not of a very high standard. The drinks provided are also of a low standard, (alcohol and soft drinks). The beer after only a couple, leaves you feeling bloated and unwell. Although they have smirnoff and other branded spirit bottles, dont be fooled as these are filled with the cheapest local spirits. The grounds are well maintained and are a pleasure to walk around. The adjacent beach (not the main beach) has shacks at the one end. Dont be fooled by the lovely appearance of the beach, the locals in the shacks are very pushy sellers, and made my wife and young daughter feel very threatened. Overall we are very dissapointed with Thomson holidays and are in utter dis-belief that this is one of their Platinum resorts. We have complained in writing to Thomson, but have heard nothing yet. I would suggest looking elsewhere..............

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor of the blocks, as there are less mosquito's
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We (2 couples) recently stayed at the riu bachata in peurto plata in November 2012. The complex and the rooms were beautiful and very well kept. The staff were all very friendly. The food at the buffet was excellent with lots of choice. However for a five star hotel we were disappointed in the special restaurants as the food at the. buffet was superior. In addition you had to be in the lobby by 7am to book one of only two restaurants each day. But the most disappointing of all was the wine and liquor served, Not sure where the International Brands were but we were never served anything remotely close to international. In fact, the wine was undrinkable , As the complex itself does not offer other wines, even at an additional cost we were forced to purchase our wine in the small tuck shop located on the resort,. I would certainly suggest you bring your own wine When we complained about the wine at the front desk the employee said , I know we get a lot of complaints about our wine. Not the answer we were looking for..

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Overall not a bad experience, but would not return. The hotel is listed as a five star resort, but is far from it. The beach is terrible - don't even bother.

The food is so-so, very bland. I was sick after 36 hours at the resort and spent 36 hours at the hospital in Puerto Plata. The reception sent someone up to our room with a little "urn" as a present. When we answered the knock on our door, the man said "Congratulations! From reception!" and the urn had a little note that was addressed to me and said something along the lines of "We hope you feel better".

The liquor is terrible. They have Smirnoff bottles, bottles of Gordon's gin, Ballantine's, etc...all filled with the cheapest domestic liquor. The rooms have liquor dispensers...but they're stocked with the worst liquor you could possibly find. The beer is also terrible, don't bother.

Only two a la carte restaurants and only one is open each night? Steakhouse was great, italian was "meh".

The rooms were very clean, but this may be because they look recently updated. Small bugs found on the walls and random spots. Don't forget bug spray. Pool is nice, but would have been nice to have a beach to lounge at.

Most guests are from Europe - England and Germany. We were from Canada and only met a few Canadians the entire trip. Not really a "party" crowd, mostly older couples and families with very young children.

The shows were good, not amazing though. Something to occupy you at least. The entertainment crew was amazing though, especially Gigi. They went out of their way to involve everyone in activities and ensure that everyone was enjoying themselves.

Don't bother asking the reception for anything. They'll just pass you off to someone else...

Room Tip: Second floor...always stay on the second floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!