Arrived 18th Nov for 2 weeks after a long 9 1/2 hour flight. on 1st impression the hotel looks " ok " check in was swift and our suitcases were put in reception and later delivered to our room by the very insistant porter that couldnt let you take your own to your room...the cases were then left in the hall outside your room (if your not in and we wernt) but the porter then returned until you were in for his tip...We had emailed the hotel the week before and asked if we could have a sea or pool view room on the 2nd floor but once again they didnt oblige, and seeing as the hotel was only half full i think that is really poor customer service..anyway....the bits your after...
The hotel rooms were very good, the maids do an excellent job although the times they arrive varies from day to day but on the whole very good..there are optics in your room and soft drinks and beers in the fridge which is refilled every other day.
Food...A staple diet of chicken, fish and pork presented in various themes, plenty of veg and a great selection of salads, cheeses and puddings..cant fault the food although it did get rather boring after 2 weeks.
Pool area was nice although you did get pestered by the animation team constantly to play "games" and the spa girls for massages but they did eventually leave you alone.
The beach for me was one of the biggest let downs at this hotel, there are plenty of sun loungers on the beach but they are under trees which stretch to the shore so sunbathing was poolside only im afraid..One thing to note is that there are ants all around the pool and seating areas and many people were soon covered in bites on the legs feet and ankles, and at night the mosquitoes were out in force, so jungle strength repellent required.
Evening entertainment was mostly by the very tired, overworked animation team with the exception of a couple of nights when they brought in an "act".. One thing i should mention is that at this hotel the evening entertainment is mainly you the holidaymaker, on stage gyrating half naked with the bored animation team taking great delight in the "games" billed as entertainment.
Drinks..Well what can i say...in over 30 years of worldwide travel i have never ever experienced such a dreadful array of drinks... the wine in the restaurants was occasionally drinkable, but only occasionally...in the bars the wine was unbelievably vile !! There was virtually no taste difference in the brandy and rum and the vodka and gin...seriously..Riu should be ashamed of the utter garbage they are serving in the hotel bars..BTW all have the Royal Brand on the label..
Caribbean street is a small avenue at the side of the hotel, they sell the usual trinkets and holiday momentoes but with shops on both sides and their eager proprietors laying in wait it became an ordeal rather than a pleasure....dont these people realise they would sell more if they actually allowed you to look at the goods without hassle ?
I honestly think that Riu have lowered there standards and have cut back on the things that keep people returning to there hotels, but this will backfire...This is a nice comfortable hotel with happy friendly staff who cant do enough for you..but they need to realise some people come on holiday to relax and unwind not to be hassled to play games and be the evening entertainment and then be served dishwater for drinks..we have Benidorm if we want that.
But seriously..if you need any other specific info or even another recommendation please dont hesitate to get in touch..always happy to help the fellow traveller.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata