“Another great trip to the DR!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Grand Marien

Save Saved
You added Be Live Grand Marien to your Saves list
Be Live Grand Marien
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Costa Dorada Beach, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Burlington, Vermont
“Another great trip to the DR!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Be Live Grand Marien and our 7th overall....I started going to the DR in 2007 with my best friend and we've never looked back! Since we always travel in June due to work schedules, it is a quieter time which we don't mind but this year was almost a ghost town (even the locals on the weekend seemed fewer than last year).

We had contacted reception and the general manager prior to our arrival and all the things we asked for were done. We were in Building 8, one of the renovated ones. Staff very quickly got us settled with a 3rd bed for a friend who came with us this year. We also received a lovely fruit basket! Daily thank you notes and small gifts as well as a few dollars for housekeeping equaled stellar service - plenty of towel art, extra blankets, and a stocked fridge.

Several staff we met last year were gone, I am assuming b/c it's slow, there were layoffs. Very happy to see our favorite breakfast/lunch goddess, Delores, still there!!! She took such amazing care of us for our 10 days...every morning our coffee, juice and water came to us without even asking. Also personal thanks for finding and bringing me peanut butter for my toast everyday:)

Several waitstaff and my favorite omelet station cook seemed to remember us which was also sweet.....as well as a few of our entertainment team pals - love the welcome back hugs. These guys and gals work so hard, very long days and always are friendly and engaging. Special shout out to Julio - the newbie - very sweet and always chatting with us...and Hector too! Also nice to be joined by Victor, the entertainment director, for a few meals.

FOOD: even during the slow time, there is always great variety. If you're there more than a week, yes, it can get repetitive. A recent review however said one night there was only seafood on the buffet - FALSE!! I am a very picky eater and every night I had more than one kind of protein on my plate - beef (very good this year), pork, chicken, lamb, etc. Plus always 2-3 vegetable dishes, potato, rice, pasta, etc. The bread and pastries are delicious!! We did miss the mango this year - only offered a few times during our stay. AND there is always at least one specialty restaurant open every night too.

SHOWS/DISCO: I'm not sure what people expect when they go to an all-inclusive but the shows are very on par with other resorts. It's not Vegas folks. I must give a shout out to the dancers and esp Johnnie, the choreographer. They do a great job! Oh and Shakira (aka Sexy Belly) and Michael Jackson rock!!!! Karaoke on Mondays is hit or miss depending on audience participation but still fun. The disco was fun too...far too many slow nights b/c of low season - although a few with our new Brit and Canadian friends were wild! We did go over to Pure but the cigarette smoke drove us out.

Thank you to the GM as well, who made a point to meet us, make sure we were enjoying our stay and invited us back again soon....very kind of you! Our Expedia rep was great - very helpful although we know the drill at this point. The timeshare guys left us alone after we explained we'd been there before. Just say no to them - be firm but polite...remember, they're just doing their job. Bartenders always smiling and quick to remember your drink....shout out to our fave, Noel!

We enjoy Grand Marien and cannot wait to return next year....it's the right size and in the area we love the most. Guests must be realistic when booking however - if you're paying $100/day, don't expect the Ritz. It's just common sense.....a 4 star property in the DR is not the same scale as in the US, Canada or even Europe. Bottom line: you're on vacation - relax, have a drink, be respectful (of staff and other tourists), enjoy the sun, the pool & the beach...and be grateful you're not at work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Grand Marien, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear customer:

We greatly appreciate your nice comments, which are very important for us, since they help us to improve on our services. Thank you for having shared your experience through this web site and at the same time our gratitude for your selection to enjoy your vacations in the Dominican Republic.

At Be Live Grand Marien we are highly pleased for having had the opportunity to offer you our services and to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is fantastic.

We also appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Once more, thank you for your valuable comments. We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Be Live Grand Marien.

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our family of 6 had a wonderful time at Be Live Grand Marien, Puerto Plata. The staff made us feel very welcome, especially Hansel who checked us in for our 5-day stay. I was a little nervous based on some of the reviews from other travelers, but after being at the resort for a full day, I realized that some people who write reviews just like to complain about things. We truly had a wonderful time. I highly recommend getting a junior suite (king sized bed with a separate living area) and a standard room that connect, if your family needs 2 rooms. The small upcharge was well worth it for our family because this gave us 3 rooms instead of 2, with all the doors connecting, and the keys worked well this way. We also had 3 bathrooms with showers. Each night, we made a dinner reservation at The Gourmet, The Mexican Restaurant, or the Brazilian Restaurant. You have to do this between 9am and 1pm each day, and remember to pack pants for the men/boys or they're not allowed into The Gourmet. My boys didn't mind getting dressed up some evenings. The food was great in these three restaurants, and good in the main restaurant (3 meals served per day there). The staff was friendly, especially if you try and speak in Spanish. Rodney at the Aquatics Center was FANTASTIC! He set us up for snorkeling, scuba, and could answer all our questions about anything going on in the area. He made all of us laugh and have a good time, and our four boys enjoyed all the activities. The rooms were clean and didn't smell. We stayed in Building #1, facing the ocean. What a view! Be careful shopping at the locals' shops....they don't like taking No for an answer. You can get some good little souveniers for cheap prices if you're willing to play the negotiating game. Our four boys, ages 11-17 had fun learning this life skill! Thom and Joan Besch, New York (Upstate).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Grand Marien, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mr./ Mrs:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site.

Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your stay at the Dominican Republic.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff, especially to Hansel from Reception, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Will be really a pleasure to welcome you back, receive our warm Regards.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hi me i my mum stay in this hotel from 2 june to 17 june 2013. We had lovlely time. Room was ok but could be better. And we stay in bulding 8 which was best. But what made my holiday was animation team. I never been on holiday like this :) so friendly, nice people. We had lots of fun. Especialy Julio, hector and Danyboy. Very nice people :) and also girls angelina, patricia, rosse and veronica. For me was hotel ok but most inportent for me is who is around me no where i am :)
Michal and Jana from england original from slovakia

• Stayed June 2013
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Grand Marien, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site.

We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went with friends as a group.

Entertainment was amazing,
The pool was really good. and had nice activities.

Show performers, and organizers, were really great, members were known by their nicknames which were sexy belly, mosquito and their dance partners. They treated us like family and even greeted us when we saw them out of the resort.

The restaurants were really good and the waitresses were really sweet.
Reception members were less responsive.
The resort was clean enough.

The experience is amazing but doing non resort activities add value greatly and is highly necessary..

I would recommend anyone to go to peurto plata because it was one of my favourite trips ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr./Mrs.

Thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, thank you for visiting us.

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This is my third time at this resort since 2009 remember the good old days I called this resort a grand resort,now I am sort of disappointed it is a good resort if you get a deal,and even with a value It's Disappointing,food is very limited now more than before,half of the buffet is always the same everyday I can understand it may be the downseason but I was at this resort last october and I felt this time was not that great,I have a feeling this resort will only cater customers from november to march, rooms are ok if you stay on building 9 but they have a smell of mold, the resort was not even half full even with the locals coming in which I appreciate,I was with my girlfriend and went out to the disco every night it was empty almost every night except for friday which had some action, that saturday there was no soul and we decided to go to pure disco which is no part of the premises I feel they need management that really cares and can improve the quality and the customer experience I am in no way picky but I feel this resort is going downhill and something needs to be done, I feel like management does not really care but who knows it may be budget related, I had a great time regardless and met some great people,the spa is great and is not included but is worth paying specially the sauna,if you are getting a great deal this resort is good,if you are not dont do it, and one more thing the best drinks are at the disco which I heard is open in the morning also. I did not reserve any of the a la carte restaurants, pros are the pool is the biggest in costa dorada, the snackbar is ok if you like mediocre junkfood, I am a very generous when I give my reviews and maybe you can experience a more positive experience and hopefully this resort can improve like my previous stays.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Mr.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, which leads us to achieve service excellence.

We appreciate the observations about the hotel services, we apologize for the impression you may have received this time during your stay.

Please receive our warmest regards.

Cordially,
Ma.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I are frequent Caribbean travelers, and for my birthday we wanted to try a new experience. We are usually very positive people and try not to complain about things.
This was not terrible... but it was not what we expected. Our vacation started off on a bad foot with Jet Blue and cancelled flights and lost luggage... That aside....
Positives:
1.This resort is clean, and the people that work there were friendly for the most part. There is a language barrier with English with a lot of the wait staff, but we figured it out.
2. The pool is beautiful and the grounds were well maintained.
3.Tipping the bartend enders at the beginning of the week was a great move. We got great service from them. They work hard and they appreciate a small token of appreciation.
Negative:
1. Room was small, and dated.There was a smell of mold when we got there, but it was because the air conditioner is not kept on, I assume a move to keep costs down. Once that ran for a bit, there was no issue.
2. The Time Share vultures ( and I am being kind) were obnoxious and would not take NO for an answer. Until I ended up in tears and begged them to leave me alone, and then they still bothered us later in the week.
3. The food for the most part was terrible...With a few exceptions. There are three specialty restaurants on site, which only one of which is open per night along with the buffet. The Mexican restaurant was very good. ( went there one night, could not get a reservation the next night they were open.. don't know why). The Brazilian restaurant was ok. The Gourmet Restaurant would not give us a reservation as my husband did not have LONG PANTS to wear. OK. this is at best a 3 star resort, in the and they require LONG PANTS? ( Wish we had known that). The buffet was terrible. All I can say.
4. On Saturdays and Sunday's the local's can get a "pass" to spend the day at the resort and the use of the facilities. The resort was not relaxing on those days.
Summary:
Not the worst vacation, certainly not the best. We would not go back to this resort, but it just didn't fit our criteria. I am sure that some people love it, and will not agree with this review.

Room Tip: I understand they have suites... we did not get one.. Ask for an ocean view if you can get one. We t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Grand Marien, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

We would also like to have a second opportunity to welcome you at the hotel.

The management
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have given the ‘Be Live Hotel’ and overall rating of ‘very good’ the reason being is that the Hotel grounds are always kept very clean, there are always maids walking around cleaning the public toilets, grounds men maintaining the gardens, and men cleaning the pool every morning.

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Block 9 – this had all the superior rooms in it (we got a cheap up grade for this). The room was clean, bright and did not smell of damp like other people have mentioned. The maid would always replenish the fridge with 2x cans of beer and 2x soft drinks (coke and sprite) and a bottle of water. The sheets and blankets were always clean, and this goes for the towels too. I would recommend staying in this block – however when the beach party is going on you can hear this but this wasn’t a problem for myself as I’m a very heavy sleeper and the beach party isn’t a regular event.

The entertainment staff really do make this Hotel, they are fun, caring and will always stop and have a chat to you whilst you are round the pool, and they try to encourage you to participate in all the activities but do not pester you. The activities themselves are a lot of good fun and you get to socialise with all the other guests staying at the hotel – a great way to make friends. Hector in particular really did make this holiday for myself and my boyfriend, he was a great person, extremely funny and just an overall fun person to be around, Danny boy is also a lovely guy!
However, if you are not looking for that kind of holiday then you can always make your way to the beach for some peace and quiet – but be careful of the ladies who want to braid hair, and the men walking along the beach to show you their shop…DO NOT GO WITH THEM unless you want to feel under pressure and the guilt to buy something from their shops, we heard from friends of ours that it is very over priced goods too.

I did struggle with the food at this hotel, as we went all inclusive. The Mexican, Brazilian and Gourmet restaurants were all very nice as the food was made for you then and there so it felt very fresh. You do have to book these up and they do close occasionally but the man at the desk at reception will be able to tell you when they are open or closed. The reservation service is only open 9am – 1pm but you can book all the restaurants up in advance so it isn’t really a problem if you are going on a trip…just book in advance!
The buffet restaurants food was a bit more flakey, some of the food was a bit hit and miss and unfortunately I did and some of the other guests did pick up a stomach bug whilst out there. So beware of the buffet restaurant and book the other restaurants up!!

Trips…we went on some trips whilst we were in The Dominican Republic and these were Paradise Island, Waterfall/Horse Riding/Zip lining excursion and Ocean World. We booked these through our holiday rep in order to get the best deals. However there is an office located in the grounds of the hotel (next door to the gym) where you can book these up. Paradise island and the triple excursion were brilliant – strongly recommend, great photo opportunity!! Ocean world…very small, nothing like it looks on the leaflet, however if you haven’t swam with dolphins then I would recommend it, we did the royal swim (cost about £150 ish each) and we got an hour dolphin swim, swam with sharks and sting rays (this was included with the price) and it was brilliant, never swam with dolphins before but was amazing – great photos!! The staff who work there are really nice and just lots of fun!

This was our first trip to The Dominican Republic and we thoroughly enjoyed it, best holiday yet! However as we don’t travel to the same place twice we will not be going back, but I will recommend this hotel to friends and family. Some peoples reviews on here are a bit harsh and they are forgetting this is a 4 star hotel but in England/America it would probably be 3 star. So if you go, please say Hello to Hector from Ryan and Faye! :o)

Room Tip: Block 9 has the best rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Live Grand Marien? Share your experiences!