“Amazing holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Collection Marien

You added Be Live Collection Marien to your Saves list
Be Live Collection Marien
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Luperon, Km. 4,5, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 45% Off
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Amazing holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hi me i my mum stay in this hotel from 2 june to 17 june 2013. We had lovlely time. Room was ok but could be better. And we stay in bulding 8 which was best. But what made my holiday was animation team. I never been on holiday like this :) so friendly, nice people. We had lots of fun. Especialy Julio, hector and Danyboy. Very nice people :) and also girls angelina, patricia, rosse and veronica. For me was hotel ok but most inportent for me is who is around me no where i am :)
Michal and Jana from england original from slovakia

• Stayed June 2013
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went with friends as a group.

Entertainment was amazing,
The pool was really good. and had nice activities.

Show performers, and organizers, were really great, members were known by their nicknames which were sexy belly, mosquito and their dance partners. They treated us like family and even greeted us when we saw them out of the resort.

The restaurants were really good and the waitresses were really sweet.
Reception members were less responsive.
The resort was clean enough.

The experience is amazing but doing non resort activities add value greatly and is highly necessary..

I would recommend anyone to go to peurto plata because it was one of my favourite trips ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr./Mrs.

Thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

We appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, thank you for visiting us.

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my third time at this resort since 2009 remember the good old days I called this resort a grand resort,now I am sort of disappointed it is a good resort if you get a deal,and even with a value It's Disappointing,food is very limited now more than before,half of the buffet is always the same everyday I can understand it may be the downseason but I was at this resort last october and I felt this time was not that great,I have a feeling this resort will only cater customers from november to march, rooms are ok if you stay on building 9 but they have a smell of mold, the resort was not even half full even with the locals coming in which I appreciate,I was with my girlfriend and went out to the disco every night it was empty almost every night except for friday which had some action, that saturday there was no soul and we decided to go to pure disco which is no part of the premises I feel they need management that really cares and can improve the quality and the customer experience I am in no way picky but I feel this resort is going downhill and something needs to be done, I feel like management does not really care but who knows it may be budget related, I had a great time regardless and met some great people,the spa is great and is not included but is worth paying specially the sauna,if you are getting a great deal this resort is good,if you are not dont do it, and one more thing the best drinks are at the disco which I heard is open in the morning also. I did not reserve any of the a la carte restaurants, pros are the pool is the biggest in costa dorada, the snackbar is ok if you like mediocre junkfood, I am a very generous when I give my reviews and maybe you can experience a more positive experience and hopefully this resort can improve like my previous stays.

• Stayed June 2013
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mr.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, which leads us to achieve service excellence.

We appreciate the observations about the hotel services, we apologize for the impression you may have received this time during your stay.

Please receive our warmest regards.

Ma.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I are frequent Caribbean travelers, and for my birthday we wanted to try a new experience. We are usually very positive people and try not to complain about things.
This was not terrible... but it was not what we expected. Our vacation started off on a bad foot with Jet Blue and cancelled flights and lost luggage... That aside....
Positives:
1.This resort is clean, and the people that work there were friendly for the most part. There is a language barrier with English with a lot of the wait staff, but we figured it out.
2. The pool is beautiful and the grounds were well maintained.
3.Tipping the bartend enders at the beginning of the week was a great move. We got great service from them. They work hard and they appreciate a small token of appreciation.
Negative:
1. Room was small, and dated.There was a smell of mold when we got there, but it was because the air conditioner is not kept on, I assume a move to keep costs down. Once that ran for a bit, there was no issue.
2. The Time Share vultures ( and I am being kind) were obnoxious and would not take NO for an answer. Until I ended up in tears and begged them to leave me alone, and then they still bothered us later in the week.
3. The food for the most part was terrible...With a few exceptions. There are three specialty restaurants on site, which only one of which is open per night along with the buffet. The Mexican restaurant was very good. ( went there one night, could not get a reservation the next night they were open.. don't know why). The Brazilian restaurant was ok. The Gourmet Restaurant would not give us a reservation as my husband did not have LONG PANTS to wear. OK. this is at best a 3 star resort, in the and they require LONG PANTS? ( Wish we had known that). The buffet was terrible. All I can say.
4. On Saturdays and Sunday's the local's can get a "pass" to spend the day at the resort and the use of the facilities. The resort was not relaxing on those days.
Summary:
Not the worst vacation, certainly not the best. We would not go back to this resort, but it just didn't fit our criteria. I am sure that some people love it, and will not agree with this review.

Room Tip: I understand they have suites... we did not get one.. Ask for an ocean view if you can get one. We t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

We would also like to have a second opportunity to welcome you at the hotel.

The management
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have given the ‘Be Live Hotel’ and overall rating of ‘very good’ the reason being is that the Hotel grounds are always kept very clean, there are always maids walking around cleaning the public toilets, grounds men maintaining the gardens, and men cleaning the pool every morning.

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Block 9 – this had all the superior rooms in it (we got a cheap up grade for this). The room was clean, bright and did not smell of damp like other people have mentioned. The maid would always replenish the fridge with 2x cans of beer and 2x soft drinks (coke and sprite) and a bottle of water. The sheets and blankets were always clean, and this goes for the towels too. I would recommend staying in this block – however when the beach party is going on you can hear this but this wasn’t a problem for myself as I’m a very heavy sleeper and the beach party isn’t a regular event.

The entertainment staff really do make this Hotel, they are fun, caring and will always stop and have a chat to you whilst you are round the pool, and they try to encourage you to participate in all the activities but do not pester you. The activities themselves are a lot of good fun and you get to socialise with all the other guests staying at the hotel – a great way to make friends. Hector in particular really did make this holiday for myself and my boyfriend, he was a great person, extremely funny and just an overall fun person to be around, Danny boy is also a lovely guy!
However, if you are not looking for that kind of holiday then you can always make your way to the beach for some peace and quiet – but be careful of the ladies who want to braid hair, and the men walking along the beach to show you their shop…DO NOT GO WITH THEM unless you want to feel under pressure and the guilt to buy something from their shops, we heard from friends of ours that it is very over priced goods too.

I did struggle with the food at this hotel, as we went all inclusive. The Mexican, Brazilian and Gourmet restaurants were all very nice as the food was made for you then and there so it felt very fresh. You do have to book these up and they do close occasionally but the man at the desk at reception will be able to tell you when they are open or closed. The reservation service is only open 9am – 1pm but you can book all the restaurants up in advance so it isn’t really a problem if you are going on a trip…just book in advance!
The buffet restaurants food was a bit more flakey, some of the food was a bit hit and miss and unfortunately I did and some of the other guests did pick up a stomach bug whilst out there. So beware of the buffet restaurant and book the other restaurants up!!

Trips…we went on some trips whilst we were in The Dominican Republic and these were Paradise Island, Waterfall/Horse Riding/Zip lining excursion and Ocean World. We booked these through our holiday rep in order to get the best deals. However there is an office located in the grounds of the hotel (next door to the gym) where you can book these up. Paradise island and the triple excursion were brilliant – strongly recommend, great photo opportunity!! Ocean world…very small, nothing like it looks on the leaflet, however if you haven’t swam with dolphins then I would recommend it, we did the royal swim (cost about £150 ish each) and we got an hour dolphin swim, swam with sharks and sting rays (this was included with the price) and it was brilliant, never swam with dolphins before but was amazing – great photos!! The staff who work there are really nice and just lots of fun!

This was our first trip to The Dominican Republic and we thoroughly enjoyed it, best holiday yet! However as we don’t travel to the same place twice we will not be going back, but I will recommend this hotel to friends and family. Some peoples reviews on here are a bit harsh and they are forgetting this is a 4 star hotel but in England/America it would probably be 3 star. So if you go, please say Hello to Hector from Ryan and Faye! :o)

Room Tip: Block 9 has the best rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wantagh, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is not what I expected at all. Firstly all rooms have a balcony. Do not pay the up room charge for an ocean front because not many rooms even have a view due to the trees that line the beach. My party stayed May 31 through June 6. My fiance and I booked a Junior Suite while I booked the rest of my family into the base level room. Upon checking in - they were upgraded to an ocean view room (Very thankful for the upgrade but the hotel was 1/4 full so I am not suprised). Apparently none of the Junior Suites are ocean view. Dont waste your money on the upgrade.

The staff is amazing! The entertainment staff worked long hard hours and are amazing - as are the servers.

The Food. My fiance spend 3 days in the room in bed sick as can be. The rest of us had constant stomachs and were occasionally sick. We had to cancel a day of excursions because none of us wanted to be far from our rooms. By day 3 we were all sticking to bread and rice (the Breads were delish). The food options were minimal. What was served at lunch was served at dinner and served at lunch the next day. I have never seen a resort that caters to people from all over the world have such minimal food options. The snack bar kept their burgers in a vat of oil and would reheat them when ordered. When I asked why, I was told because the meat was too dry. Chips served with Salsa were stale at more than one meal.

When walking to the pool one day, I passed someone who worked in the clinic, when I inquired about others being sick she was completely unaware and asked if I had eaten out of the resort. I find it hard to believe that everyone was shocked by this as the common talk around the pool was about how everyone ate fruit, rice and bread for the week.

If you are looking for a holiday spot in the Dominican Republic - I suggest you look into Punta Cana . Melia Caribe Tropical was an amazing resort. Save your money on this one.

Room Tip: Save your money on the Junior Suites - its not worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

As a service company we do understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

As far as your indications about the quality of the food offered in our restaurants, we are rather surprised because carefully selected products compose our gastronomical supply, taking into consideration the diversity of clients who visit our hotel.

We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires and the opinion on this same web site.

Regarding the hygiene procedure, we are supervised by Cristal America, that it is health and Safety Company, which extremely requires a specific treatment for food and it is right the way is done here at the hotel.

Nevertheless, we are sorry that our food did not meet your expectations; you may feel assured that your comments will be taken into consideration.

We sincere apologies for this or any other difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Our best regards!!!

Barranquitas, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

During the first week of June, me and my wife stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien hotel in Puerto Plata. The hotel got his pro and cons. Here it's my pro vs cons.

Pro:
The Hotel is in a nice town, Puerto Plata. A lot of things to do outside the hotel. You got Ocean World just 15 min. away, also you have El Teleferico, Sosua Beach and Maimon. It's also near Damajagua where you can go and do the 27 Charcos.

The entertainment staff of the Hotel is 5 Stars. Hector was one of the guys that was always talking to people, a very nice person! Always helpful and available for any kind of question or concern not only with the Hotel, but also with the surroundings of the Hotel.

The room was always clean. The maid services was a nice person and humble.

The Brazilian Rest. the Rodizio was incredible good. There we got 4 free shots of Mamajuana!!

The pool games, such as Basketball, volleyball and water polo were nice, we got a chance to interact with people from all over the world.
The guys at the bars were open to please us by any means. My wife did not know what to drink, so they help her making some drinks for her.

Cons:

There was a young lady every morning at the Buffet breakfast that treat us like if we were invisible. At one point we asked for coffee 3 times, she went on to serve coffee to everyone around us, except us.

There's no Pool Bar!!!! The only bar near the pools is far away from the fun parts of the pool. I would take out the small island in the middle of the pool and put a Bar right there!!!

The beach... this is a pro-con. The beach is nice in the morning, but once the wind start to arrive the beach, the sand feels like small sharps hitting you!!!

The snack bar, I was expecting more from the snack bar. Only have a few pizzas and burgers. It was not like all major hotels in Punta Cana, that they are all snack buffet types.

The Buffet need improvement!!! More FOOD to CHOOSE FROM!!!!

The reservations to the Restaurants. I arrived on Monday around 2:00 pm. So we went on to reserve for the 3 restaurants they have (Gourmet, Rodizio and the Mexican). I found out that you can only reserve from 9am-1pm. So we could not get a reservation for Monday night. Next day I already got a reservation for Ocean World. They would go to pick me up at 8am. So I went to front desk and explained to them my situation about the reservation for the restaurants. The girl told me that she could not do anything for me. I was upset, and even told her to see if she could make the reservation for me for the Gourmet restaurant that night. She said NO. So i went to my Ocean World tour that day. We came back around 4:30 pm and there was a guy on the reservation desk. I went to him and explained again my situation to see if I could reserve for that night restaurant and he told me NO. SO thanks to the very pleasant people in front desk and reservation desk I did NOT have a chance to try the Gourmet restaurant. The thing that bother me the most, was that the restaurant there was always open tables, but because of the damn reservation they did not let me enjoy their Gourmet Restaurant.. so THANKS for nothing! I did get to reserve for the Mexican and Brazilian one. The Mexican was OK, and the Rodizcio was GOOD!

DO NOT TAKE A TOUR IN THE HOTEL!!!!!!! We asked for a snorkeling tour in the Hotel. They told us it was $45 p/p. We were 2, so that was $90 gift for them. A group of 4, we rent a car and drove all the way to Sosua. There we found a snorkeling tour. We ended up paying $30 for all 4!!! We did the snorkeling in Sosua and spend some time in the beach. A friend of us, took the 7 Charcos Tour, where they paid over $70 p/p. If you go just outside the hotel, there are people with white shirts offering the same tours way much cheaper. And if you made it to the Place where the Tours starts (their main office) you can for sure get way much better prices than in the hotel or their surroundings!

So, would I go back again? YES. Even though I got some stuff that I did not like, I really like the Puerto Plata town. There are a lot of things to do outside the hotel. If you prefer to stay all your vacations inside the Hotel, then go to Punta Cana. If you want to explore the real Dominican Republic, their people, their culture, then you should go to Puerto Plata and try what they got to offer. I gave the hotel a 7 out of 10 rate.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms with Ocean View or in the New Buildings.. I found out that those new buildings are way...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:

We appreciate the observations concerning the attitude of some hotel personnel and we apologize for the impression you may have received from some employee. We would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any other difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our warmest regards.

The management