“Wonderful stay/staff horrible check out” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Grand Marien

Save Saved
You added Be Live Grand Marien to your Saves list
Be Live Grand Marien
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Costa Dorada Beach, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Wonderful stay/staff horrible check out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went with a group of 11 people and after a long trip the agents at reception were very quick and friendly with check in. Eucenio Nunez, (i believe that's how you spell it), the bellman was wonderful! He assisted us through out the entire stay. The food was great, areas were very clean. Some rooms were more modern than others, and very spacious. We received 2 complimentary upgrades to suites, and the rooms were marvelous, with 1 bathroom stand up shower, and another bathroom with standup shower and jacuzzi. I love that everything is within 5 mins walking distance, beach, to food, to pool, if anything less time. They also have a childrens clubhouse with their own pool, 2ft. Comes in handy when you want to keep the kids together. The entire stay was great.

Day of departure they slip a letter under your door stating that check out is at 12 and after that they automatically charge $40. We did the check out at 12, with a veryyy long line. I asked them if there was anything else to do and agent stated no, just to return the towels at 3pm.

The negative would be that you receive casino keys upon check in in order to get your towels. I had to walk back to my room to get it. Then when you return your towel they give you a RANDOM key that they had in their hands already, and when you go to reception, and hand it in they don't take your room number or anything, so what was the point of making me do all of that?

Here's where it gets better, my cousin had previously been here and they never made a big deal out of taking off the wrist bracelets, but this time the guards made it a HUGE DEAL that reception cut it off for us(we had already checked out), they made us turn the cars around and walk back to reception. On top of that with 11 people we were all confused and we were never informed by an agent that we needed a white slip/card that says our room numbers, we are to hand those over to the guardmen at the exit. When one of the family members went to do so, he handed it over to one of the bellman because once again the agent didnt inform him that it goes to the guardsman. I am making all of this short but it lasted a good 15 minutes, arguing, confusion, guardsman even called us ignorant, their supervisor was unprofessional. This last part left me disappointed. I am a supervisor at a hotel and I have so many other ways this could have been aproached, resolved or even prevented. Some training for the guardsman, and a faster check out, or even express check out would be great. Or different procedure for a huge group.

Other than that the stay itself was great!

Room Tip: Suites are spacious, 2 bathrooms, 2 stand up showers and one jacuzzi
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Be Live Grand Marien is a fantastic resort. The entire staff was so amazing. The room was very clean. We had an ocean view room that was well worth the extra. The restaurant staff were pleasant. The bar staff were so friendly. I will never forget the smiles we received from the bartenders . The entertainment staff clearly love their jobs. The resort is well laid out, with the pool being central. The buffet restaurant had a lot of selection. The ala carte restaurants were good, especially the gourmet restaurant. Although we didn't try it, we heard the Chateau Briand was really good. The beach was beautiful. The staff spend a lot of time raking leaves and keeping the grounds clean. There were security guards patrolling the beach which was reassuring although we always felt safe. The one thing we wondered was why we could not get light beer. Other than that we loved the resort and would definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in 3000 block and were very pleased. It was ocean view and right beside the beach bar.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a lovely time at Be Live in Puerto Plata, DR.

Our room was beautiful, but we had 2 double beds instead of the 1 king requested, the lock was broken on our main floor sliding door and our bath tub wouldn't drain. The lock was fixed, but the other issues were ongoing throughout our stay.

That said it was quite a safe resort. Lots of security guard patrolling the beach. This might sounds intimidating but these men were very friendly and helpful to all of the guests of the resort. I felt safe the whole time I was there.

The food at the main dining room was usually great. We ate 3 squared meals a day. There was a selection from healthy to indulgent at every meal. The Mexican restaurant was by far the best food on the resort, with the Gourmet restaurant as a close second. The Rodizio (Brazilian) restaurant left something to be desired.

The staff on the resort were extremely friendly and polite but any requested was executed on what our tour guide called 'Dominican Time'. Better late than never. :)

While at Be Live we went on a Waterfall tour. The nature was extremely beautiful although I don't think this tour would have passed Canadian safely regulations. That said, it was exhilarating.

Over all we had a great time. The beach was beautiful.

Room Tip: We had the main floor, ocean view room in Building 1 and it was amazing. It was right on the beach...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wasaga Beach, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed Feb.1-8. Even though this resort was recommended by our travel agent, I had serious doubts about going after reading the negative comments. Now that we are back home I am wondering if we stayed at the wrong resort! We did not experience one problem.
Check in was efficient and courteous and they had even made an a la carte reservation for us.
Room was clean and well supplied. Our maid, Altogracio, was friendly, trustworthy, kept our fridge supplied, our room was always neat and our bottled water supply was more than sufficient.
No mouldy smell in our room (5302) or in the building. The a/c worked all the time, there was always hot water. No bugs in our room (I dragged a can of mosquito repellant all the way there and didn't see one!). The beds were comfortable. The grounds were always neat. The pool area was always kept washed. Tons of loungers around the pool and on the beach. The beach was kept clean and security was always present.
The buffet restaurant always had lots of food and a wide variety. The a la carte restaurants were all excellent, I enjoyed the Mexican the best, and the staff was friendly and courteous. The bartenders were friendly.
I could go on and on but the bottom line is that I would have no problem in recommending this resort to anyone.

owen sound
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just want to say this was a really nice resort. We had a great time with old and new friends at Be Live Grand Marien. Good Food, drinks, sun....beach was nice, beautiful pool area. Easy access around the resort. No lineups for drinks, or restaurants. Rooms were cleaned daily, maids were very friendly, and would go out of their way to help you. I would not hesitate to return for another vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at! there were activities all day that kept me and my friends very entertained. All I can say about the entertainment staff is AMAZING they went above and beyond normal hotel staff. Denzel Washington (victor) was great had a lot of fun in water aerobics. The rooms were clean and we had a lot of room. A very nice beach that they kept very clean. The food was fantastic! There was so much variety. I thought there would be long lines at the bar as there are at most all inclusive resorts but I was pleasantly suprised to find practically no lines. There is absolutely nothing I could say bad about this hotel. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Be Live Grand Marien in Punta Canada and had the best time. I have to say the most memorable part of our trip was the entertainment staff. They were great at their jobs and always happy to see you. All of them were very outgoing, organized poolside games and activities and the night shows were great to watch. Some of the staff that really stood out and were very very friendly were: Densel, Couchi-Couchi and Sexy Belly! It amazing how many names they can remember and the hours that they worked.

The food was also good. The a la cartes were really good. We really enjoyed the Brazilian one specifically. The snack bar was nice to have during the day and later at night to grab something if you were still hungry.

The rooms were pretty big. Every day they were cleaned very well and the cleaning staff was very friendly as well.

The location of the resort was perfect if you wanted to go explore in Peurta Plata. It was very close and easy to get to.

The pool was really nice and relaxing. It was very chill until about 4 and then the entertainment staff had fun things planned for anyone who wanted to participate such as: iron man, water polo, etc.

What we liked the most was the friendly people who worked at the resort.

We honestly did not have any compaints from our time there.

Room Tip: All of the buildings were close to everything because it's not a huge resort. I don't really...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Live Grand Marien? Share your experiences!