The highlight of my stay at this hotel is most certainly the staff. Very friendly and accommodating. Things do move at a slower pace in the DR and the overall attitude is definitely laid back so be prepared for that. But isn't that one of the best reason to go there to begin with if you are looking for a beach vacation? Smile and go with the flow....
The rooms were comfortable and what I would compare to a 3 star hotel in the US.
One thing that was important to me was WIFI, for which little information is posted. WIFI is available everywhere on the resort, including the common areas and rooms. There is cost, however, which is $25 for 25 hours (If I recall correctly, but it is something close to it) over a 6 day period. You buy the WIFI access code in the Internet office close to reception. Once purchased, you use the hours over the course of the time period purchased. Just make sure you log-off or turn off your computer or you will burn through the time purchased.
Within the resort there is a huge pool with lots of chairs and of course the beach. A nightclub is located close to the reception area.
The food is most definitely average and just 'Ok', nothing special here - local drinks are included, including the local beer Presidente (which is actually quite good).
Within walking distance there is a Casino and another nightclub independent of the resort. If you like staying out late, then this is an option after the resort club closes (which is early).
This is no Ritz Carlton, but certainly a very relaxing resort destination. With the promotional price I received I did feel like this resort was a bargain.
I rented a car which greatly expanded my options - It was only about $22 + taxes per day (Use a credit card that offers car rental protection to save money). This allowed me to explore other places close to Puerto Plata, including Cabarete and Sousa. Considering that a one way taxi to the airport cost $50, a car rental is quite a bargain. Driving was easy - yes, it is a little crazy once you get into town with rather relaxed driving rules, but very manageable (at least for me).
Definitely a bargain mid-level resort I would recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotwire and Odigeo so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata