“Honeymooners” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

You added Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 Paradise Drive | Cofresi Beach, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic (Formerly Be Live Grand Carey)   |
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Palmerton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Honeymooners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I want to first say that i feel that some of the more negative reviews are a bit much for this property. I was there in July for my honeymoon. We booked a Jr Suite and had a wonderful room in Building 40. I know that from reading the reviews that it is the building to be in and was very fortunate getting it. People should understand that you are going to get what you paid for. I have met people that were staying at the resort that paid for a standard room and that is what they got. They were displeased with the room, but once again you get what you pay for. The service was great. Everyone was always smiling and saying hello, which is a big thing for me because if the staff is miserable it would bring me down. The animacion team was great. The shows they put on were funny and entertaining. The food was good when you ate at the a la carte restaurants. The buffet was hit or miss, though I did enjoy the breakfast. Juice bar was good pancakes and french toast was good, omlettes as well. People did ask us to do their parasailing and all that but we kindly just said no thank you and they did not bother you again. The VIP beach was great the beds were nice and service friendly. The VIP beach also had the best drinks.
Here is a tip for the VIP beach. Get there early, put your stuff down on a bed, and then go to breakfast. I would wake up at 8 and put our towels on a bed and then head back over to our room and meet my wife and go to breakfast and then head to the VIP beach. Everyone does it and if you get there around 8-830 you can get a decent bed with a nice view of the ocean.
Chinese place was good and the Dominican restuarant was great. If you go there get the steak.
I wouldn't reccommend this resort for older people with bad knees as there is a lot of stairs, but we didn't mind them.
If it says adults only at a pool that doesnt mean they are going to enforce it. the only time they enforced the adults only pool was the middle pool with the waterfall because it is a deep pool. I understand that some people would find that as a huge negative but it is not an adults only resort and you are able to find quite places to swim and lay by the pool not even looking hard. The weekends get busy because I am assuming thatlocal people come for a quick getaway.

We kept hearing people having stomach issues the entire trip. My wife and I were fine during our stay until the last day. We started getting stomach issues. We chalked it up to the vegetables there being washed, because we did not have any problems until then. The vegetables were not always ripe and fresh all the time. The fruit was but not the vegetables.

Other than that our stay was great. I would not go to this resort and expect 5* or a Sandals type of atmoshpere but if you are on a budget and want to go to the DR. I think it would be a good option.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get the Jr Suite. Its a stretch to get but try and request to be in buildi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such objective comments. It was a pleasure to read it.
We are glad you found what you were looking for, and experienced a complete different atmosphere. It was an honor for us to be part of your experience and we hope to keep your trust and preference.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

my wife and i went down here for our honeymoon/1st year anniversary expecting something great. apparently i didnt do enough homework. not that the whole trip, or the resort was disappointing. actually the resort (s) were really nice with plenty of restaurants, pools and bars.
the disappointment came with how we were swindled and tricked by cheapcarribean where we booked. when you get there they slap a bracelet on you, give you an envelope full of stuff and rush you to your room. where's my upgrade i asked to a junior suite? none available. we found out why the next day as our phone wouldnt stop ringing from 7.30 am until almost 10 am. once we left our room to head for breakfast we were met by an employee who took us to breakfast and after that, we were met by someone else who took us to their main VIP office. from there we were taken on a tour of the 'junior suite', presidential suites and villas then the whole sales pitch. LET DOWN and lied to.

the room we had was actually in a great location. close to most good restaurants, the beach and pools. but as for the size of the room, was pretty small. they don't have pictures anywhere of their standard rooms and now i know why. but comparing the tropical to cofresi, the rooms seemed like they looked nicer.

moving on..trying to make a reservation at a restaurant is impossible. when we checked in they already had us 2 nights for restaurant reservations. one which we didn't use. i ended up being able to talk them in to giving us a table for the sea food restaurant with a sob story of it's our honeymoon and anniversary. all the other nights we just ate at casablanca which was alright.

another thing, anytime we asked the front desk or hotel services about things in puerto plata, they would try to get us a taxi. which was 25$ one way. RENT A CAR. we got 7 days for 160$ through thrifty. so when i said we had a car, the suddenly didn't know where anything was. so if you do want to ask someone who works there about where to go or how to get there, ask people like the bartenders at some of the bars.

plan on walking A LOT here as well. they have a shuttle but runs only every 25 minutes at each stop. unless you get lucky and catch one of the white vans drivers who are willing to give you a ride.

all in all, dont fall for the [--] when you book here about a free upgrade if rooms are available. there isn't any such thing. they try and sell you a VIP package which they swear isn't a timeshare but don't be naive.

my recommendation is to stay in cabarete which is about 20 minutes the opposite way of the airport. rent an apartment or condo. we talked to a couple locals and you can rent a nice apartment not on the beach but right across the street for around 600$ a month. plus if you like to go to bars or dance, cabarete is where it's at and if you have a car, only about 35 minute drive from puerto plata where you can meet up with the people who offer exertions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our Hotel did not meet your expectations. The Cofresi Palm is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienced during your stay.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've been holding off writing this review but after creating an account to give fabulous reviews of the places I recently visited, I realized it was important to write this negative review so people are warned!! First, we got there and got the worst room in the place but we could have dealt with it if there wasn't urine on the toilet seat!!! They took us to another room which was completely disgusting and I now had to demand to be taken back to check-in where the desk person was completely rude but thankfully after demanding to see the manager for 10 minutes I he came and the guy who had drove us to the first room and second and saw the issue was nice enough to back up how deplorable things were. After an hour we were shown to a bigger room that was supposed to be VIP, which was good, but if you can believe it, they had to take out the little basket and make sure we knew it. (After all, we weren't VIPS). As it was late, we were just grateful to be in a room finally where the bathroom was sort of clean. Only after we got back from a late dinner did we realize the sheets didn't fully cover the bed and the pillowcase only half covered the pillow on one of mine. (Thankfully there were two on my bed). What was to be a girls weekend to celebrate duel birthday was turning into.... Now, the next morning we really discovered, what it meant to be non-VIP as there was only one beach open to us and we were tricked into starting the tour with a promise of being taken to the beach and had to demand the tour stop and refuse to get out of the golf cart. There was no way I was paying thousands of $ so I could come back here. The one beach we had available was not fabulous, but it wasn't bad. The food/ restaurant situation however was horrific. They had given us a reservation at 9:30PM for Sat at the Italian restaurant so for Friday we went to go to what we thought was available to us, (we weren't playing the lottery game that non VIPS must play when food wasn't a top priority). We get to an empty restaurant and was told we needed a reservation. Coming from New York, I was perplexed as most restaurants when there is no one there will gladly seat you. After 10 minutes of talking with the girl and asking why she called over her manager, who then came over and showed me the list of reservations coming in a little while. Then he said, he'd make an exception. This turned out to be our best meal so I'm glad that worked out, but really!!! Other resorts, even when you aren't there VIP treat people much better than this. The Italian restaurant on Sat. night was not good at all. Looking around at the bracelets, it was easy to notice that this is where the non VIPS are sent, completely on the other side of the resort requiring a van to take you there. One positive note, most of the grunt workers with the exception of the towel boy, (one can't turn in a towel when leaving the beach and a few hours later come back and ask for a new one without getting a bit of a warning, which I found rude as the towels have holes in them to begin with), are kind and helpful and they obviously know that the place does not treat their guests correctly. Even the VIP people seemed to complain and we were warned not to join the club. If you do wind up here, (which I truly hope you don't), then make sure you are willing to fight when things are really wrong. My advice though is to try another place. Per my friend, not all DR places are like this. There is bound to be better ones there.

Room Tip: If you aren't satisfied with your room be willing to fight for what is right.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Needham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I bought a Groupon for Confresi and stayed there in November of 2012. We took a risk, having read all of the reviews because we just wanted to get out of the country and not spend a lot doing it.

When we checked in, we were assigned a timeshare dude. I had done my research on that aspect and knew well enough to be polite and short so hopefully he would get the hint. He told us that he would show us around the place tomorrow, and we knew we were not going to pick up the phone when he called.

So we get to the room that they gave us. I wouldn't even say it met the lowest of regulations. There was a door that separated us between us and the next room over and lets just say it may well have just been paper. We could hear EVERYTHING. The room barely had any lights so forget about trying to look nice and do your makeup ladies- not happening. The fridge did not have beers as promised and only 1 bottle of water- which when staying for 4 nights and being told not to even use the tap water to brush your teeth- was not going to go very far for 2 people in 80+ degree weather. The bathroom was disturbing. It had one tiny window that was covered by bars so no natural light or ventilation. Not to mention the shower DID NOT WORK. No water whatsoever. So ok, I knew what we had to do. Time to complain. Call the front desk- wouldn't relocate us. Refused actually. So ok, par for the course yet again based on the reviews I had read. We decided to stick it out because we didn't plan to be in the room too much anyway- key word PLAN.

I knew ahead of time after reading story upon story of people getting sick, I was going to be super selective about what I ate. I stuck to the bottle water hoping that we'd get another bottle when housekeeping came. BRING THE WATER TO THE BUFFET. They do NOT have bottles there. ALSO- skip the ice. I also only had breaded/grain food. NO MEAT. My boyfriend thought I was being way too cautious and he dove in the first night. He had milk which was basically powder mixed with water. He had meat. Basically everything he shouldn't have. And what happened? Woke up the next morning and he was throwing up. He was SOOOO sick. I felt horrible. And we were still in that god awful room. To put a cherry on the cake, the time share guy called. I told him what had happened and that my boyfriend was very ill. I begged him to get us another room. His response? He'll be ok, just come alone on the tour with me and MAYBE I can get you another room. UM, EXCUSE ME? Absurd.

My boyfriend got well enough that we were able to go down to the front desk and complain. THE FRONT DESK PEOPLE ARE USELESS. And we knew it. While we were waiting another guest told us "they're going to give you a [--] room at first and will only change you if you say something." Good to know. So we proceeded to go to the office of the Groupon Rep. This man literally saved our trip, single handedly. He was so polite and spoke wonderful English. He said he would work on it for us and to come back in the afternoon.

We enjoyed all the pools very much. The beach however, I would totally avoid if you are fair skinned. I do not say that because of the sun, I say that because the sale men will flock to you. My boyfriend is a photographer and all we wanted to do was take some pictures. BOMBARDED. I mean a man literally put an ankle bracelet on my leg to lure me in to buy something. It's crazy to me that at a private resort that this can fly. I would also like to mention the dog problem. They're all over the beach. And I love pets, but these dogs are diseased and quite frankly should be put down. They won't leave you alone and will follow you up and down the beach and you have to try really hard not to let them rub against you- don't know what you'll catch. So needless to say, we spent all of our time at the pools.

We returned to the Groupon rep and while in there encountered another couple that were terribly ill and doing anything in their power to get home- talking like spending hundreds of dollars extra to change their flights. Anyway, the rep came through and got us a new room. This room was great! It had a fridge with 2 beers and maybe 4 sodas and water. The air was cranking. The lighting was great. It was a completely different world to us and we were ready for it.

Over the next few days, we stuck with the pools and watched what we ate. We did not have any alcohol for fear it was watered down with the tap water. We did have the 2 beers in our fridge and they were ok- bud lights basically. We managed to persevere and enjoy the rest of our trip. We even went on the Monkey Jungle/Ziplining excursion based off the Groupon rep's recommendation. It was hands down the best part of the trip!

Overall, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up for this trip because I carefully read hundreds of reviews. I would never go back to this place again. If I go to DR, it will be to the other side of the island where the water is blue and the sand is white. If you need a cheap trip and decide to go here, here are my tips:
1) Don't drink the tap water. This means: no milk, tang, close your mouth in the shower, don't brush your teeth with tap, no ice in anything. I would say buy a klean canteen ($20) that keeps things cold for 12 hours and fill it with the bottles from your fridge.
2) TIP THE MAIDS WELL. If you don't, you wont get more water. BRING LOTS OF SINGLES.
3) Don't settle for the first room you get. You really do have to fight them for a room. (Btw- even our second room had a down side- right outside was the sewage and that smell gets pretty horrific)
4) Do an excursion. It will get you out of the resort for half/full day.
5) Mind what you eat. Stick to pasta, potatoes, bread, pancakes, etc.
6) Be very careful when going to the beach. I'd seriously recommend not bothering unless you want to see the sunset/sunrise.
7) Skip the party on Sunday. We did and it was so nice to see the place empty out. We had the pool to ourselves.
8) Avoid the polo timeshare guys. They're awful human beings in my opinion. Esp the one who didn't care that my bf was sick- shame on you.
9) Any problems? Go to the Groupon guy, not the front desk.
10) Bring good walking shoes. Hills everywhere.
11) Skip the restaurant reservations they give you. You're better off being able to control what you eat.

I hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to help you, enjoy your vacation.
Our rooms are in general in very good conditions even though, we have a continuous maintenance improvement plan in place for our rooms, the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies,
I appreciate your observations which are treated with the utmost interest, since we believe that this is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention to improve in all aspects.

Best Regards,

Upstate NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Many good things and many poor things.
First I will start with the posative items:
- Our rooms in Cofresi buildings 40,41,42 were beautiful
- The VIP beach just below the Casablanca buffet was beautiful with many draped beds and a full service bar with 6 great lunch choices and high end liquor
- All wait staff at all of the buffet and reservation restaurants do an outstanding job
- The pool and enternaintment staff are a lot of fun (but they go overboard by having kids (including mine) write fake reviews mentioning all of the pool staff by name) so beware of any review mentioning the pool staff and entertainers by name
- The Sunday welcome party was outstanding with great service, entertainment, food and liquor.
- The Thursday night party was also outstanding.
- We took a trip to 27charcos (waterfalls) which was a great trip and I highly recommend.

Now with the negatives:
- 99 % of the all inclusive bars serve terrible well brand liquor
- The two main buffet restaurants where you will have all of your breakfasts and lunches serve terrible food (I asked at least 15 different couples "How do you like the place?, and every couple stated "The food is terrible""
- A very poor part of the country and you should not "go outside the wire" unless accompanied by a trusted local
- Beware of the "Tour" - It is not a tour and you are dumped onto the Timeshare sales team for 2-4 hours.
- Cost - I found most guests had booked through Cheapcarribbean.com and received great deals both a few days before and months before. We definitly over paid :(
- The place is very large and you should be prepared for a 10 minute walk for a meal or to find the favorite pool or entertainment.
- Many complained of the terrible rooms in the Tropical side of the complex.
- We received 4 fixed dinner reservations, while most we spoke to only received two.

In Summary: Our two families had a couple of good meals at the Mexican restaurant and the Italian restaurant. All breakfasts and lunches were horrendous. Shame on us, as we too had read many of the bad reviews and we should have ran fast and far away. If you can get a cheap weekend of a few days away for just a few dollars, then this might be a good choice for you, but do not pay a lot for this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I read many reviews prior to visiting cofresi and was extremely nervous but it ended up being one of the best trips I've ever taken!

Rooms - I emailed and called the resort requesting a room in the 400 block of rooms. They said they couldn't gaurantee, but we did end up in building 42. I recommend you do the same. The room was looked just like I saw online for the junior suite. Walking by the 200 block of rooms it did sometime smell like sewer so those room reviews might be somewhat accurate but where we stayed was great.

Food - we received four dinner reservations and one the two days we didnt have reservations we went toughest services the day off and had no problem getting reservations. DON'T eat at pearl!! it's hot, the cooks are sweaty, it smelled. it was gross! Instead go to Casablanca! It is soooo much better. Even better for breakfast is Bellini! We thought the restaurants were all good but we heard horrible reviews in blue lagoon so chose not to try it. the Asian restaurant was mainly Thai food which I don't like so that wasn't very good in my opinion. Bellini, trapiche, and rodizio were all wonderful! We also loved jazz but I think we were able to eat there because we booked trough interval. it's technically a gold member VIP restaurant. The bar outside of jazz was great. Premium liquids great bar tender. It might have been gold VIP but nobody cared we were there and went there a few nights.

VIP beach- get there at 730am they open at 8. Grab a front row cabana put a hat or bag or book down and then go back to bed or grab bfast, etc.. Whether u agree with it or not that's how it works so just play along because it is totally worth it! They serve you drinks from the cabana, have premium cocktails, good lunch and snack food. We spent everyday there instead of the pool.

Time share sales- they will ask to pick u up for bfast. This is them trying to give you the tour. It's a two hour tour. We didnt go on it. They will be outside of ur room around 8-9am so if u go out at that time and havent gone on the tour then they will try and get u to go, but we just acted like we have somewhere very important to go said we don't plan on buying anything and after day 2 we never saw them again so it really wasn't that bad.

Tip the servers and maids. It doesn't take much and goes a long way.

we did the yacht to paradise island. It was really a catamaran but the trip was awesome. I recommend it.

Overall the was an amazing trip and I would highly recommend both D.R. and Cofresi!

• Stayed June 2013
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had an amazing time and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

Long Island New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I got what I thought was a great deal on Hotels.com for $70/per night for two people.

We arrived to the hotel at 5:30am on June 28, 2013 as we experienced delays in NYC etc. Our check in was not till 3pm on June 28, 2013, but the front desk said we can check in early if we pay $25/each per person ( we did it ). A guy took us to our rooms in a golf cart, (We had two rooms for 3 people, they had us in separate buildings.) he brought the bags into the rooms (all buildings are walk ups, there are NO elevators). He said he was going to show us around the resort, he pointed 2 - 3 things out, dropped us at "The Tower" and before we knew it, we were in a Condo/Lifestyle sales pitch. They wanted us to buy a "lifestyle time share".................................

$10,000 - JR. Suite - also have to pay $249 a week plus $50/day per person
$15,000- One Bedroom - also have to pay $399 a week plus $69/day per person
$30,000-Presidential Suite - also have to pay $599 a week plus $84/day per person
$60,000-Villas - also have to pay $999 a week plus $89/day person

After an hour we just wanted to leave - We left....... we go outside to find the guy who dropped us there, he was gone. We asked the other staff if they could bring us back to our rooms, they said only VIP's get golf cart rides. We had to walk back to our resort.

We find our rooms, go take a nap, head to the beach. If you don't arrive to the beach early you will not be able to get a cabana. We found one and we hung out at the beach and slept in the beds by the water.

6:30pm we go to El Pilon, there is about 25 tables, with only 3 - 4 being occupied. We say 3 please. Do you have reservations? was the response. Reservations? NO.

***You can only go to the restaurants if you have reservations***

They will only give you two reservations for a week stay - other wise you HAVE TO EAT AT THE GROSS BUFFET "The Pearl" or go to the other resort and eat at Casablanca which is also a buffet and is OK.

Lots of steps and hills, we rented mopeds for $25/day it was the best for getting around and not having to wait for buses.

Even talking to Lucia the Manager of Guest Services, seemed like she had no pull. She is somewhat nice, but doesn't make the guest feel like they can do anything for you.

Everything is, this is for VIP, oh your not VIP, I'm sorry VIP only. ONLY way to be VIP is to be duped and buy a TIMESHARE/LIFESTYLE thing with them.

Gold Sparkly bracelet - can go anywhere
blue sparkly bracelet - are people with gold sparkly bracelet people
red sparkly bracelet - are people from other time share places staying at resort

Regular Light Blue bracelet - are the scum, only allowed the crap service and horrible treatment.

There is no fresh juices, or sodas. Everything is made in one gallon jugs that look like bleach bottles. IT IS SO GROSS.

We were suppose to stay 9 days but left after 5 days. I was not eating and there is nothing near by but a casino that connected to the all inclusive iberostar - which there club was playing all good music and had real pina colada's made from fresh ingredients.

Trust me - spend just a little more to go somewhere else other wise you will be sitting in this resort saying "Dam I should of listened to that review"

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.
Regarding the dinner reservations, we have a system, that depending on the amount of days of your stay you get pre-assigned reservations up on your arrival, then for the rest of the days you may go to the Guest Service department to make the reservations, other wise we have two big buffet restaurants with huge variety of food.