“never again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 Paradise Drive | Cofresi Beach, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic (Formerly Be Live Grand Carey)   |
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Pattersonville, New York
“never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went to this resort because we were invited to share in a special occasion with a large group of friends and family. If you are looking for wide white beaches and aqua blue water, don't go here. Beaches are narrow, sand is brown and the water dark. If you are looking for even average food, don't go here. We were VIP Gold which allowed us to have dinner at the "finer dining" reservations-only restaurants. Hands down, the food we had was the worst I have ever had in my travels throughout the world. Well, maybe Russia was worse, but that was a long time ago and expected. If you are looking for tons of swimming pools, bars and in one case, a drunken teen covered in vomit and passed out in the hallway of your building in the middle of the day, go here. There are plenty of poolside staff whose only job is to whip crowds of younger people up. Naturally, there is booze flowing from the poolside bar to help get them into partying mode. If you like lots of noise, tons of people (many of them pushy and rude), overcrowded pools, transport vehicles etc. for sure go here from Friday to Monday. That is when the people who actually live in the D.R. are offered very low rates on unsold rooms. If you want any type of breakfast on those days, get up there early. Lines are long, seating a real problem and food becomes scarce quickly. The special VIP party on Sunday night was a shock. Not really VIP, anybody staying at the resort could go. We were stunned by the hoards of people surrounding every food station. The fireworks were fun. Because there were so many people attending, transportation from the grounds after the party was a nightmare. Our room was nice. Large but minimalist. We had to pay extra for the device used to lock the safe in our closet. The room had one waste basket and that was in the bathroom under a printed decal on the wall instructing us to deposit our used toilet paper in it. More often than not, we had to fill the waste basket with water from the tub in order to flush the toilet. We called maintenance but It continued to be a problem throughout our stay. There was a terrible odor of raw sewage coming from the shower drain everytime we heard water running in surrounding rooms. Our air-conditioning did not work when we first arrived, after 3 trips over 4 hours by maintenance, it was finally up and running. The grounds of this huge resort are pretty, the private villas are beautiful, the wait staff excellent and the maids friendly and efficient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienceduring your stay.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a terrible stay at cofresi. The room was horrible, poorly lit, the furnishings were old and ants all over. We didn't have any dressers to put our clothes in so we couldn't even unpack. When we asked for an upgrade we were told we had to pay even after we had spoken to several other guests who had gotten the upgrade for free. I guess we didn't scream loud enough. The food was terrible. They only serve the same three things for lunch every day and it was awful. The animation team works the guests for five star reviews. SO DON'T BELIEVE THOSE REVIEWS!! Management makes them do this, that's how we got duped into staying here. The grounds are nice and well kept but that's all. There are hundreds of steps and hills everywhere, it was exhausting.
If you are willing to pay for the gold band, you will probably enjoy this hotel. Any other color you are screwed as it is a caste system according to bands. Oh, and don't ask about the activities cause you can't even get the right time out of these people. Worst vacation ever!! Will never return ever!!

Room Tip: Pay for gold!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to help you, enjoy your vacation.
the inconveniences that you mentioned that you experienced during your stay are unacceptable, Please accept my sincerest apologies, and know that I will be discussing your comments

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

The resort was amazing :) loved everything, the people, the environment & the people :D I will def come again. Banana, Capuccino, & Joel the mc were great hosts :) The bartenders were also amazing :) Enjoyed the shows, the music & everything :)

• Stayed July 2013
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We are really happy that you liked our facilities and we will congratulate our entertainment staff for providing a great hospitality.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My vacation in this hotel has been very great until now, every service has been good especially the entertainments and the guys that make us have much fun have been banana, bon jovi, tino, capuchino, espaghetti, and the dances of banana have been great. The shows at night have been really fun, the buffet has been good and the show on Sunday was excellent! I will honestly come back to this hotel next year

• Stayed July 2013
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Below is a letter written to Cofresi over two months ago, and of course, there was no response from the company. I'll be very honest with anyone that is considering this place - I was originally very interested in this place because of the airline prices and direct flights to this destination, plus it was much cheaper than some of the other places I was looking at with my girlfriend. I also looked at others' reviews, but took them with a grain of salt because I'm a fairly easy-going person and doubted I'd have problems similar to the ones people had. I was 100% wrong and I experienced many of the same problems and more. In retrospect, I should have paid more money and gone elsewhere, this was a trip to be forgotten.

Dear LHVC and Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort Customer Service,

I am writing to you unfortunately because of the extremely disappointing visit I had. I was in disbelief yesterday as I realized how excited I was to LEAVE the resort and go home.

After going back to your website again to read about all of the amenities you offer, I feel that your company misrepresents its offerings and neglects to include important supplementary information. I feel that as a consumer I was misled.

- Your website states that there are 12 restaurants available; however, nowhere is it stated that you MUST have Cofresi-issued reservations that automatically pick a restaurant and time for its guests. Also, nowhere was it stated that if you stay for a certain number of nights, that changes the number of reservations you are entitled to. (My girlfriend and I had to go out of our way every single day to TRY to get reservations at restaurants because the buffet food was horrible. (The texture and taste of things as simple as a hotdogs and hamburgers made me question the source of the meat. )

- The website states there are 3 nightclubs; however, there is nothing on the site that tells when they are available. (We visited ICE and Colisseum on two different nights and they were both empty)

- In addition to the difficulty in obtaining reservations for restaurants, we were unhappy that the gentlemen in white-collared shirts, clipboards, and long slacks told us incorrect information. More than 2 employees told us that we may take a chance and go to ANY restaurant we want, and that they may or may not serve us. Guest Services on the other hand told us that showing up to any restaurant without a reservation was forbidden and we'd be turned down.

- On one occasion when talking to Juan-?, we told him that we wanted to try to get a reservation and he said that Warin was our personal concierge and would take care of us. Trusting Juan, we walked down a pathway to meet Warin, we explained our situation, and he nodded and said he'd help us. He then took my girlfriend and I in his golf cart, down to the VIP World Offices where we were dropped off and he just left. Unbelievable.

- Upon arriving, my girlfriend and I were issued a room key, the room had two beds and a bathroom light that was out. It took 2 hours to get a room that was suitable for a couple going on their first vacation together. Although the bed was now much bigger, it was extremely uncomfortable.

- It was very discouraging to see how differently VIP members and non-VIP members were treated. Employees bent over backwards for VIPs, while non-VIPs were almost shunned.

- My girlfriend and I were fully aware of the dangers of drinking the tap water and we took all precautions when it came to consuming food and drink. She became sick two out of the four nights we were there, and I became sick on the last night. Diarrhea, vomit, and fever certainly put a damper on our trip.

Room Tip: Check all the outlets, mattress, television, etc. before accepting a room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Branch, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Confresi Palm is a nice place to stay for a visit. My husband and I arrived on Friday afternoon and it was very confusing. The huge crowd was a turnoff but then again we had a great deal that we decided to take advantage of. We didn't know where we could eat, each place told us we needed reservations. I was starved and had never experienced this. But cheap tickets means cheap treatment and services. As long as you recognize that you will be fine. You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap Caribbean was the company that we booked through. Never again! We ended up going to the international buffet at the Pearl. Not bad but not great either. My husband and I live in an area that allows us to sample foods from a variety of countries/cultures. We are used to fine dining at home. But, when you are hungry, you will be satisfied with anything edible. We later had dinner at Simply Gourmet. Dinner was very impressive. We ended up becoming VIPs and have not regretted it. I highly recommend Serenity Beach, it is heavenly. We spoke to Jaila (hope I have the right spelling) who was very helpful. Will be coming back as VIP members in November!!!!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite in the 300 buildings. I saw one reviewer state that the 300 block was great. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

Thank you for recommending Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.
Please keep in mind that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Ok Pros First:
- The VIP beach is awesome. Good service, friendly waiters, free wifi, towels, steps to the ocean, scenery is very pretty.
- All the pools were very well kept and clean. There are several of them to choose from.
- For a 5 night vacation with air, all inclusive, you cant complain for around $800. Very good deal.
- You can literally drink and eat as much as you want with no problems.
- The dominican people are very sweet and friendly for the most part,except for the security (champagne pourers) at the VIP pool, who were downright nasty and rude.

Cons Next:
- The "boys" at the pools are very disrespectful to women. You'd have to watch closely to get this. At first you think they are complimenting you and being extremely friendly just for the sake of it, but you will see that what they are looking for is for you to mention their name in the review because they get bonuses for that. Thats why you see all the "spaghetti this" and "cappuccino that" because they get bonuses. I saw several of these guys literally force people down to the VIP area to get people to write a review while on the beach for the "free wifi" (guests dont realize the wifi is free but you still need to pay roaming fees.). On top of this they take several girls numbers and since I know some spanish could hear them joking around about how many women they would "get" this week. It's disgusting. If you are a young single woman----beware.....you are not special----they are predators. They tried this game on me and my friends but we told them to stay away.
- The entertainment is literally something children would enjoy. It is so juvenile. My friends (27-37) and I went to a show about the lion king (fantasy is the name) and it was so childish the entertainment was in the awful part of the show.
- There are TONS of steps. We witnessed some older or out of shape people really struggling. I didn't mind it but just be aware. Also, the "transportation" is not "readily available" Expect to walk alot wherever you are going. Also beware of a lack of smooth pavement. I actually fell and skinned my legs as a result and had to go to the medic....and no I wasn't drunk.
- Our room looked nothing like the photos. It REEKED of disinfectant and mold. The curtains and the lamps had black mold on them. If you can try to get in buildings 40-42 as they are more modern and dont smell.
- The ocean has tons of rocks in it. Several of my friends have injuries or bruises as a result and there is no warning about them. There are also sea urchins in the ocean. My friend got several slivers in her foot and had a hard time walking the whole trip as a result. Be careful if you go in.
- Your mini bar is never restocked, even if you leave a tip
- The frozen drinks are great, but the other ones are disgusting. The liquor is so generic you could drink 10 of them and not even feel buzzed. Even at the VIP beach, the "premium" liquor is still generic. You cant get malibu or grey goose unless you are a member.
- The food is very generic as well. If you are a foodie....don't go here. Its like high school cafateria food with more selection.
- You only get 2 restaurants, and you dont get to select them, they are given to you on day 1. There is only a 1 hour window (at 9-10am) where you can change it that day. Its a total pain. One time we changed our reservation and then we got to the restaurant and they refused us service, even though we went to guest services in the am to confirm. My friends got very upset and they still refused us service.
- Expect to wait A LONG TIME if you need anything. For example, when we got there we only had a sheet on our bed, no light blanket...nothing. We had to wait 2 hours, after calilng 3 times to get the blanket. And upon leaving we almost missed our shuttle due to them not coming after calling an hour in advance as they suggested.

Here are some tips if you decide to go even after reading above:
- If you want a relaxing vacation where you just lay on the beach all day and dont care about much else but a great view, this is for you.
- Dont accept help for your bags from the men in white coats when you enter or leave the airport. They will demand $5 a bag. You will have to be persistent in saying no.
- Go to the VIP beach at 7:45 each day to save a bed.
- Tip $5.00 or $10 for a large party at the VIP beach when you get there and you will have great service all day long. If you dont tip at the beginning you wont see your waiter very often.
- When you check in do not agree to the "guide to take you to breakfast" they want to sell you a timeshare. Just say no thank you.
- Bring snack food. They dont have any and you will be hungry if you are a picky eater.
- Buy jewelry at the pool nearest confresi, but go to all tables before deciding. $4.00 per braclet, not $20 like they will try to scam you for.

Dear Guest,

Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

The Management

Been to Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!