“Open Minded” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   1 Paradise Drive | Cofresi Beach, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic (Formerly Be Live Grand Carey)   |
Ranked #20 of 43 hotels in Puerto Plata
Long Branch, New Jersey
“Open Minded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Confresi Palm is a nice place to stay for a visit. My husband and I arrived on Friday afternoon and it was very confusing. The huge crowd was a turnoff but then again we had a great deal that we decided to take advantage of. We didn't know where we could eat, each place told us we needed reservations. I was starved and had never experienced this. But cheap tickets means cheap treatment and services. As long as you recognize that you will be fine. You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap Caribbean was the company that we booked through. Never again! We ended up going to the international buffet at the Pearl. Not bad but not great either. My husband and I live in an area that allows us to sample foods from a variety of countries/cultures. We are used to fine dining at home. But, when you are hungry, you will be satisfied with anything edible. We later had dinner at Simply Gourmet. Dinner was very impressive. We ended up becoming VIPs and have not regretted it. I highly recommend Serenity Beach, it is heavenly. We spoke to Jaila (hope I have the right spelling) who was very helpful. Will be coming back as VIP members in November!!!!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite in the 300 buildings. I saw one reviewer state that the 300 block was great. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

Thank you for recommending Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.
Please keep in mind that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

1,668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Ok Pros First:
- The VIP beach is awesome. Good service, friendly waiters, free wifi, towels, steps to the ocean, scenery is very pretty.
- All the pools were very well kept and clean. There are several of them to choose from.
- For a 5 night vacation with air, all inclusive, you cant complain for around $800. Very good deal.
- You can literally drink and eat as much as you want with no problems.
- The dominican people are very sweet and friendly for the most part,except for the security (champagne pourers) at the VIP pool, who were downright nasty and rude.

Cons Next:
- The "boys" at the pools are very disrespectful to women. You'd have to watch closely to get this. At first you think they are complimenting you and being extremely friendly just for the sake of it, but you will see that what they are looking for is for you to mention their name in the review because they get bonuses for that. Thats why you see all the "spaghetti this" and "cappuccino that" because they get bonuses. I saw several of these guys literally force people down to the VIP area to get people to write a review while on the beach for the "free wifi" (guests dont realize the wifi is free but you still need to pay roaming fees.). On top of this they take several girls numbers and since I know some spanish could hear them joking around about how many women they would "get" this week. It's disgusting. If you are a young single woman----beware.....you are not special----they are predators. They tried this game on me and my friends but we told them to stay away.
- The entertainment is literally something children would enjoy. It is so juvenile. My friends (27-37) and I went to a show about the lion king (fantasy is the name) and it was so childish the entertainment was in the awful part of the show.
- There are TONS of steps. We witnessed some older or out of shape people really struggling. I didn't mind it but just be aware. Also, the "transportation" is not "readily available" Expect to walk alot wherever you are going. Also beware of a lack of smooth pavement. I actually fell and skinned my legs as a result and had to go to the medic....and no I wasn't drunk.
- Our room looked nothing like the photos. It REEKED of disinfectant and mold. The curtains and the lamps had black mold on them. If you can try to get in buildings 40-42 as they are more modern and dont smell.
- The ocean has tons of rocks in it. Several of my friends have injuries or bruises as a result and there is no warning about them. There are also sea urchins in the ocean. My friend got several slivers in her foot and had a hard time walking the whole trip as a result. Be careful if you go in.
- Your mini bar is never restocked, even if you leave a tip
- The frozen drinks are great, but the other ones are disgusting. The liquor is so generic you could drink 10 of them and not even feel buzzed. Even at the VIP beach, the "premium" liquor is still generic. You cant get malibu or grey goose unless you are a member.
- The food is very generic as well. If you are a foodie....don't go here. Its like high school cafateria food with more selection.
- You only get 2 restaurants, and you dont get to select them, they are given to you on day 1. There is only a 1 hour window (at 9-10am) where you can change it that day. Its a total pain. One time we changed our reservation and then we got to the restaurant and they refused us service, even though we went to guest services in the am to confirm. My friends got very upset and they still refused us service.
- Expect to wait A LONG TIME if you need anything. For example, when we got there we only had a sheet on our bed, no light blanket...nothing. We had to wait 2 hours, after calilng 3 times to get the blanket. And upon leaving we almost missed our shuttle due to them not coming after calling an hour in advance as they suggested.

Here are some tips if you decide to go even after reading above:
- If you want a relaxing vacation where you just lay on the beach all day and dont care about much else but a great view, this is for you.
- Dont accept help for your bags from the men in white coats when you enter or leave the airport. They will demand $5 a bag. You will have to be persistent in saying no.
- Go to the VIP beach at 7:45 each day to save a bed.
- Tip $5.00 or $10 for a large party at the VIP beach when you get there and you will have great service all day long. If you dont tip at the beginning you wont see your waiter very often.
- When you check in do not agree to the "guide to take you to breakfast" they want to sell you a timeshare. Just say no thank you.
- Bring snack food. They dont have any and you will be hungry if you are a picky eater.
- Buy jewelry at the pool nearest confresi, but go to all tables before deciding. $4.00 per braclet, not $20 like they will try to scam you for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Astoria, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have to say I read and read almost everyday, but it was too late because I already booked this vacation when I found this site, I should of listened.
I have to say the staff was really nice, Super Mario and Rosa our made were really nice. I also like Daniel.
The room had ac and we had hot water, the room did smell musty and the sliding doors were really dirty.
The guys in the white shirts bother you but not to extreme. I went on the tour and got it over with, wasnt a big deal, it was really nice timeshare, but I would NEVER buy into this place.
Food: Buffet was horrible, the breakfast was the only thing good to eat. We ate at the dominican place the second night and that was real good, our Italian reservation was messed up so we had to eat at the buffet the secound night and that was terrible. But the last night we did blue lagoon and that was good, real good.
Didnt really like the beach but the Aqua pool next to the swim up bar Cheers was fun.
We made the best of it, but I would never go back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Awesome! Cappuccino, spaghetti, supertino y banana super cool guys at the entertainment pool. The best one cappuccino! Come join the party :). They have the best drinks and music too. Snack bar is next to the pool. Launch chair in the water. The beach is just steps away. Let me not forget the banana boat ride :)

Room Tip: Cappuccino, spaghetti, supertino y platano very, very good entertainment!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for recommending Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.
Please keep in mind that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Son lo me notes ski muiiiiiioo bien todo bien en el hotel eselente bueno todo el chow muuuuuuiooiii bien. Is very fun good. The food is great. The liquor is great the staff is great. Good experience great customer service. I would love to do it again I recommend every one to do it.

Wappingers Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

So we just got back from our vacation to DR. This was my third time to DR - I've been to punta Cana and la Romana a few years back and stayed at similar all inclusive hotels. If you have stayed at all inclusive hotels before and enjoyed yourself. You do not need to read on. Go and have a good time. Many bad reviews I'm seeing seem to be from very "picky" travelers.

I traveled with my fiancé and two buddies of ours. We are 27-32 years old and were looking to go away and enjoy ourselves. Out friends have never been to all inclusive before so we let them know what it was all about from out past two experiences. In the end they both enjoyed it and would do all inclusive again. I personally feel if you've done one (at similar hotel level) you've done them all.

Timeshare:
When we arrived we had known about the timeshare stuff so when the guy approached us we simply said no thank you and avoided him at breakfast the following morning. It was that simple. Wasn't bothered once after the first day about it. Many people we talked to also said they just said no and that was it.

Rooms:
I am NOT a picky person. It's a room. You sleep there. My AC was cold and bed was comfortable. Our friends we traveled with had an updated room which was a bit nicer. Our showers leaked a little, so my fiancé was gonna try and change rooms, but when you realize all you are doing is sleeping in the room something like that is not a big deal.

Food:
Again, very similar to other resorts I've been to. The buffets were good. I personally would recommend going to both The Pearl (at cofresi) and Casablanca (at lifestyle). Casablanca was a little better in my opinion but both were great. They have Italian Mexican Asian and others to have dinner at. We ate Dominican Mexican Asian and Italian. All were good. We met some people who "complained" about food. If you are a foodie and are going just for food and expecting 5 star meals then I'd say you won't be happy.
We booked w/ cheap Caribbean for 5 nights, so we were given 2 dinner reservations. This is something we had heard about and were kind of confused while booking. Many "bad" reviews had complained about this also. We stayed Sunday-Friday and guess what? We only ate buffet dinner once. How? All you have to do is go to guest services in the morning and ask for dinner reservations that night. They will try their best to get you something.
Cheap Caribbean guarantees you 2. That's all. Just ask and you'll be fine. We also booked separate from our friends and still ate dinner with them EVERY night. How? We had different restaurants and reservations from them, but again just ask at guest services and they made it possible EVERY time.
There was one day where around 5pm we wanted a snack. Everything seemed to be closed to eat. So here's a little secret we learned kinda late in our trip. The Italian restaurant Belini is open until 6pm for lunch. Sit down and order pasta or pizza. It was great!

VIP
So, some reviews we had seen talked about feeling "segregated" from VIP sections. I didn't feel that once. Yes there are some sections that are for timeshare holders and I guess upgraded wrist bands?(something I'd like to find out about) there is MORE than enough bars and restaurants for the wrist band you are given. You also have access to VIP beach. This is located on lifestyle side of the resort. Wake up and get there at 8. Grab a bed and leave your towel to keep it. It's awesome. We went most days just because its fun. There r cold jacuzzis and a great spot to make friends and relax. There are two bars. Both have premium liquor and better frozen drinks. They also have a menu to order food. Food takes a little while so def order if you are looking to eat in half hour id say.
It also seen they are extending this VIP beach section so it's going to be much larger.
Our last day-we took a walk around the entire resort. The timeshare villas are beautiful. Something really to go take a look at and they are building so much
more which only tells me they are doing pretty well with acquiring new customers. Not something id invest in, but I'm sure many people do.
VIP world is where most VIP bars etc are at. Def a nice spot but believe me there is more than enough that you will have with the wrist band you get. Don't let bad reviews on this scare you.

VIP party
On Thursday night VIP world hosts a huge party. Guess what? You get to go. Everyone gets to go and it was fun! Again we are 27-32. We wanted to drink and enjoy ourselves, so we did. There was def a mixed crowed at the party and everyone of all ages were having a great time. There was a foam party in the street so def wear a bathing suit! One of the cocktail waitresses saw we were having fun. We tipped her well the first time and the drinks kept coming. This was by far the best night and only night we were able to stay up past 10pm.

Activities
This was one thing that I thought could've used a but more spark. The last resorts I've gone to I felt had something going on ALL the time. They had the usual beach and pool Olympics going on but could've used a little more. Wouldn't keep me from coming back though.
There are reps coming around that sell excursions. They were no where near as bad as I've encountered before. Were not pushy at all. The guys on the beach will come up to you and are funny. Just say no and they won't bother you. We do do snorkeling. We booked this through the aqua team guys that come around. 40$ a person and prob the best 40$ I spent. The two guys that took us were awesome and enjoyed what they do. When you sit with the cheap carribean guy, he will tell you about excursion. Not pushy at all, but I felt theirs were def expensive. Most included lunch and drinks where as the snorkeling we did was 8-1pm. Snorkeling was about 2.5 hours. Def do it. You won't be disappointed.

Resort:
It's two resorts in 1. After reading reviews we booked cofresi over lifestyle because we read the pools were better. Reviews really make it seam like the two resorts are far apart. My friends and I stayed on cofresi side and lifestyle lobby was literally behind our building. We spent time at both resorts and honestly just book whichever of the two is cheapest. You will get to enjoy both. VIP beach is located on lifestyle side so if you think you are going to spend alot of time there, just book lifestyle. Again, you will enjoy both. Yes, there are steps and hills. Puerto plata is a mountain. If you feel that this is an issue id recommend punta Cana. It's more flat. We saw many reviews about "too many steps" so as an ongoing joke, every time we walked up steps my friends and I would whine about the steps.

I think I got everything in this review that I wanted to write. In honestly not one for writing reviews, but I just feel that there were quite a few negative reviews and this place doesn't deserve it at all. Most neg reviews I feel are from picky people who are expecting more. Again if you've done all inclusive, you will have a great time. Enjoy yourself and make the best of it you can. If you are looking for too notch rooms/food and are not one to walk around a resort - look into the more expensive all inclusive resort. Everyone has a different taste in vacation. I've cruised before as well.
If you are still uncertain email me. Nicholasrusch @ yahoo . com.
I would be glad to answer any questions you have cause I know we had questions going into it. Would I book again? Yes. If I got a similar rate I would definitely come back!

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. Cappaucino, Super Tino, spaghetti, and the rest were the best. The shows were amazing and Cappaucino and Super Tino made everything fun and showed us a great time. the beaches were clean and hot. Would definitely come back.

We loved the delicious food and drinks were tasty and flowing. The VIP Party was the place to be and was tons of fun for everyone.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!