Just got back yesterday!
So I was first "introduced" to Cofresi by Groupon. They had a deal going on that I thought was a complete steal ($450 for 5 nights! all inclusive!) I thought, hey, I just want a nice beach and warm weather, why not take a chance of booking this deal after reading not so pleasant reviews.
We arrived around 1PM and were checked in immediately (usually check in is at 3) the front desk agent gave us keys, and quickly explained everything that was in our little envelope, and pointed us to a golf cart where a nice man picked up our suitcases and we drove to our building - 20426 to be exact. the building wasn't that far, we could have walked, but it was nice to have a ride waiting!
When we got to our room is was nothing special...the A/C wasn't working to its full power, but we did have a nice balcony where we left the doors open. There were a couple things I didn't like...There was definitely a smell of mold, our TV didn't work, and the shower would not drain properly. There were also several power outages (seemed to be everyday around the same time) and there were a couple times where we didn't have hot water. The beds were extremely hard! so unconformable!! but hey, we were paying less than $100 a night - we weren't expecting a luxury room...one tip, don't but your clothes in the closet! they will smell like wood chips!
At this point we're starving!! we just made it to the buffet before lunch was over. There are 2 buffets,, Casablanca, and The Pearl. They're relatively close, and they both served the same things. It was nothing special, but it wan't bad! We did enjoy the omelet station in the morning, and at night they had pasta stations. We ended up sticking with the buffets because our first "real restaurant experience" was DISGUSTING! We went to the Italian restaurant, because reservations were already set for us. I ordered the Margarita pizza, and my sister go the Eggplant parm. my pizza was basically this crust like thing with literally 2 pounds of cheese on top - there wasn't any spinach, or other veggies on top. I thought mine was bad until i tried the Eggplant! SO GROSS! We left a tip and walked out. Just imagine if a chain restaurant like Denny's, or Friendly's tried serving Italian food...ew.
We woke up to a call from Carlos. He wanted to know when we wanted a ride to breakfast. It was a nice gesture, but we were sleeping. We kindly told him that we were walking, and that we would be sure to give him a call if we needed a ride anywhere. eventually we rolled out of bed, went to the buffet, and started out search for the best seat at the multiple pools around the resort! the beach wasn't special at all. When the tide comes in there is NO where to sit. We found a quiet pool, really close to our room. We were there for most of the day, until we were introduced to mosquito. He was freaking annoying. I just wanted to lay in the sun, and not be disturbed. I don't even know what it title is. We did chat with him for a little bit, and he finally went away. But then he came back and sat with a group on teens...they started playing loud music, which is when we left. this is when we were informed that non VIP people are allowed to go to the VIP beach!!! Get there around 7:30Am to get in line and you'll get a comfortable cabana! There is also wifi here that you don't have to pay for!! you just need to know the password. We simply asked a VIP member the username and password - which was username: February Password: February. If you're there in March..try March for both the username and password! That was probably our best discovery. Cabanas and Wifi!
We did this for a couple days when we finally decided to sign up for a excursion! PARADISE ISLAND was awesome!! If you like to snorkel, or even if you've never done it before (like me) you will still have a blast!! The man that took us out into the water when it was time for snorkeling was so kind and so fun! we ended up tipping him $20.
Between our room and the food I would say that I got what I paid for. I wasn't there to eat a gourmet dinner every night, or to have flawless room. Don't be a resort snob..If your'e paying over a thousand dollars for just a couple nights then there might be something to complain about.
Traveling from the airport to the resort (POP) you need to have $10 per person to get into the airport! its like a visitors pass or something. also, when you walk through customs there will be a lot of people trying to take your bags and help you find a taxi...they obviously want a tip, so unless you don't have cash or you don't want to tip someone don't let them take your bags!! We paid $45 US dollars for one way - you can go through the hotel and pay $16 for each person for a return. There wasn't really any need to exchange money, US dollars are accepted every where.
Remember, don't be a resort snob.
Enjoy your stay:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata